Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's too expensive to get hurt now.
View Quote

I literally just told my kids, who were wrestling beside the brick fireplace, that I don't care if they got hurt, I just don't want to pay to fix them.  I still have the rock my oldest shoved up his nose when he was 2.  It cost me a $100 ER copay.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, the brain is kind of essential.  Helmets are relatively cheap.

We never wore helmets as a kid biking, jumping stuff and all that but we probably should have been.

Of course I remember everyone riding around in the car without seat belts while smoking one cigarette after the other too.

I've personally witnessed a helmet probably save a friend's life while mountain biking.  He wrecked right in front of me and his head landed on a very pointy rock which penetrated most of the way into his helmet.  It stopped just short of entering his skull.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I know.

Hell, a lot of the things we used to do as kids would get someone arrested and/or put into foster care these days.

The whole "Be home by supper or before dark, your choice, but if you miss supper you're getting your own food" deal in the summertime would probably get the whole family sent to some manner of reeducation camp.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I was a kid, wearing a helmet would have gotten you hurt worse than not wearing one. When all your friends beat you up for being a pussy

^ that.

The only helmets that were acceptable when I was a kid were M1s when we were playing war.

You can't do that anymore

I know.

Hell, a lot of the things we used to do as kids would get someone arrested and/or put into foster care these days.

The whole "Be home by supper or before dark, your choice, but if you miss supper you're getting your own food" deal in the summertime would probably get the whole family sent to some manner of reeducation camp.

I grew up in Alaska, being told to be home by dark would have given me a 3 month pass My parents were smarter than that
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Ear pro is what gets me. No one wants to wear it. Then they're mad you don't want to be around their deaf asses when they're old.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I spend a LOT of time alone in the woods on my mountain bike. I love my helmet. I've broken a couple helmets while they were on my head and I can still type. Yay helmets. Boo overprotective parents.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I've stated more than once the current gen might as well all be growing up inside safety bubbles.

Look, Ma!  We're Swimming!

Look, Ma!  We're playing sports!

Look, Ma!  I just can't take this cruel world anymore!

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#7]
My nine year old got a youth bow and new pellet gun this week for his birthday this week, I make him wear glasses when using them
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ear pro is what gets me. No one wants to wear it. Then they're mad you don't want to be around their deaf asses when they're old.
View Quote

Wut ?? .................  

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I agree with the 'traumatic head injuries aren't good" crowd. I'm kinda torn on the helmets and bikes thing.  I grew up without wearing any PPE when riding bicycles.  I have a number of scars and quite a few stitches on my head to show for it. Each time taught me not to do something though - would I have learned that lesson if I were wearing a helmet?  I doubt it- at least not to the same degree.

On the other hand,  also wore only minimal gear when dirt biking.  I am now paying for that in my middle aged years.  Ankle problems, shoulder issues, etc etc.  Worth it?  I had a hell of a lot of fun as a kid and lot of that fun was definitely b/c I was taking risks.  Just the dangers of growing old though imo.
View Quote

Helmet has saved my life in a bicycle crash.  I know people killed not wearing them crashing on bikes.  All else, let' er rip.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#10]
What if the kid doesn't want to pick gravel out of his skin?

What if the kid just wants to keep his injury potential minimized while riding his bike?

This thread is retarded, a big ass old people stop-liking-what-I-don't-like, kids-these-days-are-pussies circle jerk.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

What?  
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I agree.

Reminds me of the last time I went skiing. Went last year after about a 6-8 year hiatus.

I was the ONLY person in the mountain not wearing a helmet.

WTF?  People are that scared of being the next Sonny Bono?
View Quote

I think that's more from Liam Neison's old lady falling over on the bunny slope, hitting her head and was dead right there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've stated more than once the current gen might as well all be growing up inside safety bubbles.

Look, Ma!  We're Swimming!

http://inmenlo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Kids-in-bubbles.jpg
View Quote

Actually, those look pretty cool!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Hell yeah!! I'm with a lot of the guys in here that the evolution of safety equipment is for faggots!!  I didn't wear no fucking helmet when I was little so my little badass isn't either!! Woo Hoo!!  

I have a 2 year old little guy so he'll be on a bike for the first time this summer.  I agree that there should be a balance in keeping kids safe, and letting them be kids.  I'm in favor of wearing helmets to protect the squash, but I feel elbows and knee pads when he's 30 inches off the ground is a bit much.  I agree that minor cuts, scraps, and bruises aid in development and that pain is a deterrent to doing something even more stupid the next time around.  I didn't wear a bike helmet growing up, but I'll make my son as I don't believe that sustaining a life altering traumatic brain injury is a   good way to teach a toddler a lesson.  His mother, on the other hand, will probably want to wrap him up from head to toe I in bubble wrap over his elbows and knee pads so we'll see who the better salesperson is come go time!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What if the kid just wants to keep his injury potential minimized while riding his bike?

This thread is retarded, a big ass old people stop-liking-what-I-don't-like, kids-these-days-are-pussies circle jerk.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pussification of America example here.

Bet you buy bubble wrap in bulk.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mom makes you wear your helmet to play XBOX, doesn't she
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Maybe the kid is a future pilot ?

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#19]
This - Nothing wrong with a helmet for a kid.

Yes we grow up with no hearing protection shooting sheet, no helmets and 6 of us riding in the back of the station wagon with no seat betls.  Different times with distracted drivers and realizing TBI won't heal by themselves.

Quoted:
I wear a helmet, and make my kid wear one. I also wear seatbelts and make my kid wear one. And hearing protection and glasses when shooting. The head has stuff in it that extremely hard to repair.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget your gloves, too.

"Hand Protection" doncha know?

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:06:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Wut ?? .................  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wut ?? .................  

I'm not learning sign language for you.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny because I hear soldiers bitch about having to wear gloves too.

Don't forget you reflective PT belt
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#23]
How many kids do you you have and what are their ages OP?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Make your kid wear a helmet.

Or if you think that's for pussies, take a ride by your local children's hospital and check out the kids in the ICU with TBI's. You will change your mind.

Everything else in the OP's narrative is ridiculous and overkill however.
View Quote

There is a valid argument to be made that football players would suffer less TBI's if they didn't wear helmets at all.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just witnessed a 12-14 year old boy riding a bicycle on his gravel lane (house is about 150 yards off the road) and he was fully padded up; helmet, elbow and knee pads, and some sort of face shield on the helmet.

WTF?!?

Less than 20 years ago me and my friends would ride everywhere without a helmet. Hell we'd even do all kinds of stupid stuff trying to be stuntmen. Yeah we had some cuts and bruises and would be sore for a day or two. But doing things like that made us tough, probably more mentally than physically. And we'd have a good story to tell.

I can't stand most parents today. Let kids be kids. Let them experience pain and failure. That's how we get stronger. That's how we learn.

View Quote

And I rode home from the hospital on my mom's lap in the front seat of a 1960's Caddy and was placed on the back seat if she wanted a smoke.

I ride MX, street and have done down hill mountain biking, raced cars and other fun things.

My daughter wears a hat and some pads (I don't force her to, she'll learn as I did) on her bike and Razor.
I don't want to see her hurt but sometimes they need to figure stuff out themselves. It's my job too do my best to make sure she isn't wadded up too bad in the learning process.

I heard all the macho BS about riding without a helmet and gear while in the sand pit and on the street.

Darwin is waiting my friend, and hopefully he will find you before you breed.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Youngest son just got a Spider-Man skateboard that came with a helmet, gloves, and knee and elbow pads.
He loves to put his "armor" on before he goes out. Who the hell am I to stop him?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#27]
What kind of helmets are you guys putting your kids in? I've read that the vast majority of bicycle helmets out there offer little, or closer to no protection at all. I'm a numbers guy and can't see how one could stave off an extraordinarily low probability event by using an item which offers no safety according to empirical evidence.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

My mom told me she'd rather be the mother of a dead kid than a coward, so she let me climb anything I wanted, swim in any water and pet any animal.

On the other hand, my parents denied me sissy stuff like medical care.

There's a line. Nothing wrong with bikes, but nothing wrong with helmets either.
View Quote

Did they produce a handbook of any type? I would love a copy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I just witnessed a 12-14 year old boy riding a bicycle on his gravel lane (house is about 150 yards off the road) and he was fully padded up; helmet, elbow and knee pads, and some sort of face shield on the helmet.

WTF?!?

Less than 20 years ago me and my friends would ride everywhere without a helmet. Hell we'd even do all kinds of stupid stuff trying to be stuntmen. Yeah we had some cuts and bruises and would be sore for a day or two. But doing things like that made us tough, probably more mentally than physically. And we'd have a good story to tell.

I can't stand most parents today. Let kids be kids. Let them experience pain and failure. That's how we get stronger. That's how we learn.

View Quote

With US presence winding down in the middle east, I think one could hire Blackwater at a reasonable rate to follow the kids around, make sure nothing bad happens to them.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Helmet, face mask and pads? OP shoulda been like...

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Tell it to Tony Hawk.

I've always figured one of the reasons he was so successful was because he wore all his pads and knew he wouldn't get hurt that bad if he missed a landing or something.  Gave him the confidence to push the envelope.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Isn't that a prerequisite for being a kid?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I was a kid, wearing a helmet would have gotten you hurt worse than not wearing one. When all your friends beat you up for being a pussy

When I was a kid, we were fucking morons. We know better now.

My youngest has had 3 sets of stitches, could of had a 4th but they decided against it as it was on his lip. Plus 2 other non stitch related trips to the ER...

He also has a habit of climbing tall objects and jumping off of them...

Kid stresses me out

If gymnastics weren't so damn expensive we'd put him in it...
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My mom told me she'd rather be the mother of a dead kid than a coward, so she let me climb anything I wanted, swim in any water and pet any animal.

There's a line. Nothing wrong with bikes, but nothing wrong with helmets either.

My upbringing was antisocial French hippie tardedness. You don't want that book.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Helmets are good.

Traumatic brain injuries are bad, and result in needlessly awful GD threads.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it's the adults' responsibility to dampen the effects of childhood idiocy. Waxing nostalgic about our parents' and our own ignorance and shortsightedness isn't good parenting.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm kind of torn on this. We did all kinds of crazy stuff on bikes w/o any PPE when I was a kid and we're probably lucky to still be here. PPE in OP's post seems very over the top though.  Maybe it's situation dependent. I remember riding down country roads to the local fishing hole w/ a fishing pole and tackle box strapped to the handlebars. Even today I don't know if I'd consider a helmet "necessary" for maintained, but sparsely traveled rural roads like that. City and mountain biking I understand, but that? I don't know though. I don't have children.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Anybody got a chart showing TBI's from the 60's-70's as opposed to today?

That would be an interesting comparison....

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#39]
MYOB
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
My upbringing was antisocial French hippie tardedness. You don't want that book.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

French people trying to bring up tough kids? That is bizarre.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had trouble getting our son (~ 7-8 yo) to wear a helmet while he rode his bike or skateboarded.  We told him if we caught him doing ANYTHING without the helmet, he would temporarily lose the bike/skateboard.  Walked into the bathroom a couple of hours later and the smartass was in the shower wearing the damn helmet. He is now 27 and far from being "weak."

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Darwin hates helmets, and other protective gear.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Fuck it. go full bore, don't have kids. let teh FSA outbreed you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#44]
OP must have experienced several head first falls. .  .
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

WTF?!?

View Quote

By that age I was bombing hills on a mountain bike with a 52 tooth chain ring.   Peddling down hill on the steep hills I hit 50+ mph on paved streets with cars.    No helmet and a death wish.

Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

That kid will know nothing of it.

/edit

I eventually did have a crash bad enough that my parents told me I need to have a helmet.   I didnt wear it much arou s town but did for offroad or when I knew I was gonna be stupid.   I have a scar on my ear from smacking my head pretty good against the ground, grandpa let me finish the ride down the hill before letting me climb in the truck for the 2 hour ride home.  Nothing like sleeping off a concussion at 13-14 years old.   That might explain a few things...
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:14:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mom was born into the war, and spent her late teens and early twenties in Africa. She red Sun Tzu while pregnant to guarantee a warrior philosopher baby. She also didn't think I needed much school, stability or doctorin'. I really missed those three things.

Being raised by hippie oddballs is a lot like being raised by wolves, minus the hunting and tracking skills.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

There is a difference between dampen and smother.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it's the adults' responsibility to dampen the effects of childhood idiocy. Waxing nostalgic about our parents' and our own ignorance and shortsightedness isn't good parenting.

There is a difference between dampen and smother.

I agree. My point is that helmets are firmly in the realm of dampening, and deliberate helmetlessness is firmly in the realm of tardation.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I agree.

Reminds me of the last time I went skiing. Went last year after about a 6-8 year hiatus.

I was the ONLY person in the mountain not wearing a helmet.

WTF?  People are that scared of being the next Sonny Bono?
View Quote

Helmets are sooooo much warmer then a beenie.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#50]
I see many more kids now, who would benefit greatly from a period far, far away from their mother, than I did earlier, but that may just be my changed perspective.

I'm not sure people who can't ever allow a kid to be either alone, or out of their sight, should have any.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top