Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2015 6:54:04 PM EDT
ok. i bought some property. its got a easement road, that runs thru the woods up the side of my property. ( all wooded)..... its got a gate at the main road, but at te moment i cant lock it, because easement. ( although im going to talk to the 3 different property owners and see about locking it, and giving keys, realistically only two people will use it, me and one other guy).  the other guy owns 50 acres at the end of the easement road, and has been having problems with tresspassers, moving shit around, fishing, tresspassing, dragging a boat from one pond to another, etc.

i just noticed today, that someone had been to a old farm building in about to convert into a cabin.... and thought they stole my firepit. i was doubtful as its a 100lb combine rim..... and sure enough it was in the woods where someone rolled it.

anyway, im wanting to make some cheap fake video systems to help deter people, as well as put out some game cams to take actual pictures.  i want the game camera to be hidden, but to actually get license plate numbers hopefully.... but the fake camera to be EXTREMELY visible, to help make people not come onto the property at all.

i was thinking of putting up a couple of very, very obvious cameras, on poles, with solar motion lights, and a fake camera,... with a sign saying someting along the lines of.........
" this property monitored by remote cellular video cameras.... you are being recorded, and images transmitted by cellular  to home computer..... or something like that.

then put up a post about  10-12 feet high, with the motion detector lights, and camera wit fake blinking red light, all mounted to a box, with fake magnetic cell antenna..

something like this.  ( this is a fake security camera wit a red blinking led)

combined with this...... which will light up things at night, as well as make it easier for us to open the gate after dark.

i have some solar lights simular to this.. they cost like $30.00 at walmart, and work decently. i figured i could make up something for about $50.00 that looks like its legit, or COULD be legit. to help deter tresspassers. its not a huge problem, as the gate has some good neighbors very close to it, ( within 100 yards), and they can see it, and help as well.

i believe the neighbor with the 50 acres is having people walk across country coming into his place from a small group of houses, behind his...... but if we put up something like this near his cabin, it might help make them think twice.

anyway..think it would be wort the effort?

basically end up with a cheap version of this.   and no, there is no danger of anyone shooting it ... due to the houses being so close, etc.

. what have you guys done?

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#1]
A combo of real and fake cameras is a good way to go.  Also having a simple sign stating that the area is under surveillance is a good deterrent as well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#2]
What utilities are available at the site currently?

Here are the two solar LED motion lights I have had good results with so far:

Great results over several years:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-82156-Solar-Motion-Light/dp/B0052SF0LO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430002776&sr=8-1&keywords=solar+motion+light

Great results but only for a few months so far:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D1JCW30/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-82156-Solar-Motion-Light/dp/B0052SF0LO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430002776&sr=8-1&keywords=solar+motion+light

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D1JCW30/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View Quote

no utilities right now. im going to be remodeling the old corn crib into a cabin, and will put motion lights on it, and hide a game camera.... or mount it high on a tree with a ladder, so it can be seen but not reached.....

ill be moving onto the property in about 2 years when i build a house.  then i will install a real live / wireless camera with a vehicle sensor,  on the gate,  connected to my house so ill get a idea of anyone coming.. wont be a problem as i will have to lay water / power lines thru that gate to the house.. wont be a problem to throw in a cable for a camera.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
no utilities right now. im going to be remodeling the old corn crib into a cabin, and will put motion lights on it, and hide a game camera.... or mount it high on a tree with a ladder, so it can be seen but not reached.....

ill be moving onto the property in about 2 years when i build a house.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Any data there yet?

DSL, cable...could you solar power a 4G hotspot with some batteries?

It would be nice to have a data connection for some actual IP cameras.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:10:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Costco actually sells it in the store. But I would get some solar powered motion spotlights too if installation is an issue.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Any data there yet?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any data there yet?

i could probably get a phone line, theres power / water 50 yards from the gate..... they make wireless cellular cameras, that are solar.. just need a data plan i guess.

its not remote though... its only about 2 miles from where i currently live.... i just cant watch it 24/7 easily.  its not a HUGE problem, as there is nothing there to steal really at the moment... i wont be building the cabin until the fall...
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i could probably get a phone line, theres power / water 50 yards from the gate..... they make wireless cellular cameras, that are solar.. just need a data plan i guess.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/81nXgqJROL._SX522__zpsbrckxpsu.jpg
its not remote though... its only about 2 miles from where i currently live.... i just cant watch it 24/7 easily.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any data there yet?

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/81nXgqJROL._SX522__zpsbrckxpsu.jpg
its not remote though... its only about 2 miles from where i currently live.... i just cant watch it 24/7 easily.

If you get phone can you get DSL?

If so some 7 mbps service would let you set up a solar/battery powered modem/wifi router and run several IP cameras that email you pictures when tripped by motion.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm no help in the fake stuff, but have a friend who had someone dropping their dogs crap on the hood of his corvette.  He has 4 fake cameras in it now and the hood dumps stopped.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm no help in the fake stuff, but have a friend who had someone dropping their dogs crap on the hood of his corvette.  He has 4 fake cameras in it now and the hood dumps stopped.
View Quote

thats my goal.... just to scare of people before they start shit.

once i get moved there, i will be setting up a real system with day / night cameras, located on and around  the house inside and out, and at the front gate. shits too easy and cheap these days to not have a system. maybe with a streaming backup offsite to the cloud or something as well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#10]
If they are stealing your shit, why not get the sheriff's department  involved?

Why go through the trouble and cost of being passive aggressive, whrn you could just do what needs to be done?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If they are stealing your shit, why not get the sheriff's department  involved?

Why go through the trouble and cost of being passive aggressive, whrn you could just do what needs to be done?
View Quote

nothing stolen yet.. just moved...  want to encourage people to stay out in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Harbor Freight sells fake cameras...
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#14]
There are some cheap motion detectors that turn lights on for 5-10 minutes when you walk in a room.  

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-72317-Motion-Sensor-Light/dp/B00FGW35MC

When I have a vacant house, I put of those inside attached to a bright light and a 12v horn ($15 at Radio Shack).  

So when someone walks in the door, or enters a window, the bright light comes on and the horn sounds for 5-10 minutes.  

Without electricity, you could use an old car battery to power a simple system alarm system.  Lights and a horn will probably scare burglars away.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:37:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
something like this.  ( this is a fake security camera wit a red blinking led)
View Quote

These days, no real security camera has a visible blinking LED on it - and anything with a blinking LED on it screams "FAKE!" to anyone who has even a passing familiarity with security cameras.

So, you might consider leaving the batteries out of the fake camera.

Another tip-off is if there is no obvious way for the video signal to get from the camera to whatever is recording it - Folks tend to hang a fake camera on a pole or tree, without any "wiring" or "wireless transmitter".

If you want to do it right, either hang an outdoor utility box on the same pole with some sort of "antenna" sticking out of it, or run some plastic conduit down the pole to an imaginary underground cable.

The Monoprice fake cameras look OK from a distance. The ones I bought are very fragile - Very easy to snap the mounting base if you attempt to "aim" it after installation. A couple coats of clear Krylon will help them stand up to weather.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top