Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2015 4:21:50 PM EDT
Different schools of thought. So I polled.

Damn I frogot to add its something to get hung up on.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Dudewtfhurryup!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't want to wait
I want it now!!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
How informative.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Is this thread about Raptors with small hands, BLUE LABEL, Corona or SNAP-ONS?  If so kcolg30 is in...
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#5]

I don't think this sort of thing is approved of here.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dudewtfhurryup!
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Yep.  I checked the manual.

That's a no-go.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That's a no-go.

View Quote

I am going to post random stuff in the test forum.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I have used the drag handle in globe's fire fighting jacket during a emergency event.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Needed? No.

But, I do like to use them when I'm just grabbing my carrier and carrying it somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#11]
If you have to drag someone out then you don't want to be yanking on their limbs and shit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a no-go.

Why not?  Everyone else is.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Needed? No.

But, I do like to use them when I'm just grabbing my carrier and carrying it somewhere.
View Quote

That's my take on it. Most of the ones I've seen don't look heavy enough for anything else.
Anyone attempting to drag me by that handle better be prepared for a ripping noise followed by a sudden change of force vectors.
When it gives way and my heavy ass isn't holding back on it I hope they are ready for it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Is it needed? no.
Can it be helpful? yes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have used the drag handle in globe's fire fighting jacket during a emergency event.
View Quote

I actually like the way they tuck it inside the jacket. If they put as much thought into the usage as they did into the storage I'll bet it's heavy enough to be useful.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#16]
How much does the OP weigh?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#17]
no. drag handles suck, and all they do is choke a guy out with his plates. (I've never once seen a guy get snagged on one, you're usually wearing plenty of other shit that'll get snagged before your handle does). Teams that know what the hell they're doing have very simple alternate methods of casualty movement/extraction that work much better.

It is nice to have something to carry your kit by though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How much does the OP weigh?
View Quote

325lbs.

Yes I'm over weight, but a 6'9" and 50 yrs old it could be worse...
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
no. drag handles suck, and all they do is choke a guy out with plates. Teams that know what the hell they're doing have very simple alternate methods of casualty extraction that work much better.

It is nice to have something to carry your kit by though.
View Quote

You could probably grab a shoulder plate almost as easily.

I don't MIND my handle though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Do you need a plate carrier?

Do you need plates?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#21]
thought it was a coat hangar.

shouldiremoveit?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Drag handles are meant to pull soldiers to cover so they can be treated. Because dragging people by their arms is clownshoes.

And you may rip a plate carrier, but 99% of people wearing them don't exceed the tensile strength of 1000d Cordura.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#23]
The human body is a really awkward thing to move. Handles make it more convenient.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#24]
We experimented with different casualty carrying methods. Drag handles, as others have said, are useless for actually dragging people. First of all, a fully loaded grunt is too heavy to drag in most cases. Maybe on a perfectly flat mowed lawn could you drag 250-300 pounds of grunt. On any other surface, no. Then there's the choking issue depending on the vest.

We tried using a length of webbing to sort of loop under a guy's arms to allow two guys to drag him without choking him, but without a conscious casualty aiding you in keeping the webbing in place, it just slides off after a while. And again, rough ground of any sort makes this really difficult.

And depending on how the guy is injured, dragging of any sort is really just going to make his injuries much worse.

I think the ideal, assuming you can't just grab a stretcher off a vehicle, is one of those crazy carpet dealies - don't know the correct word for them. Basically a heavy nylon sheet, ~72" by ~30", with three or four handles down each long side. Light, easily rolled and unrolled, and allows multiple men to assist in safely carrying a casualty.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#25]
You might want to install rollers on your carrier.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We experimented with different casualty carrying methods. Drag handles, as others have said, are useless for actually dragging people. First of all, a fully loaded grunt is too heavy to drag in most cases. Maybe on a perfectly flat mowed lawn could you drag 250-300 pounds of grunt. On any other surface, no. Then there's the choking issue depending on the vest.

We tried using a length of webbing to sort of loop under a guy's arms to allow two guys to drag him without choking him, but without a conscious casualty aiding you in keeping the webbing in place, it just slides off after a while. And again, rough ground of any sort makes this really difficult.

And depending on how the guy is injured, dragging of any sort is really just going to make his injuries much worse.

I think the ideal, assuming you can't just grab a stretcher off a vehicle, is one of those crazy carpet dealies - don't know the correct word for them. Basically a heavy nylon sheet, ~72" by ~30", with three or four handles down each long side. Light, easily rolled and unrolled, and allows multiple men to assist in safely carrying a casualty.
View Quote

A SKED is what that's called, iirc
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Not if you don't have friends.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Not if you don't have friends.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I'm out.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Back in the day, we had the H-Harness and later the Y-Harness on our Duece Gear (thats web gear for you non-Marines) which you could grab and drag a wounded buddy to safety.  Why in the blue fuck would we not put something handy to grab and use on the modern replacements?

Rather have and not need and have to pull a guy by the arm, especially with a wound, and risk dislocation (adrenalin being what it is 'n all) and would rather not have to use two hands to grab a guy under the armpits to haul his ass back to cover.  Having a grab handle at least means I have a hand free to shoot.  Remember, Corpsman and Medics carry sidearms, they probably appreciate the ability to drag a wounded troop while being able to defend themselves and their patient.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top