Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That dynamat is pretty expensive

Maybe I'll just use some of the "big gap" spray foam and see how that works

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-STUFF-16-oz-Big-Gap-Filler-Insulating-Foam-Sealant-248314/100029171

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I already installed the front and rear speakers and the sound is stunning except that i have no bass whatsoever

Then you did it wrong.  Did you use any door deadning?  Amplifier or head unit power.
Your sub will only give you sub frequencies, below 60 hz.  Your door speakers still need to handle all the other bass frequencies from 60hz up to 300hz.
I used door dampining material and mounted the speaker on a ring of MDF. Sealed with clay.  Driven by 125w RMS x4.

People with much larger subs (than my single 10") frequently ask me why my bass sounds better than theirs.  The answer is the door speakers still do most of the work. The sub is just to handle the lowest octave.  Even with the sub off lots of bass, just no 60hz.

I just mounted them in the same holes as the factory speakers

Im not sure what door deadening is

Are you saying i should amplify my fronts and rears to improve the bass they can provide?

Yes.  Head unit power sucks. Even a small cheap amp will significantly improve the quality. I don't recommend rear speakers at all.  Your front speakers are what counts.  Get some dynamat or even some peel n seal and seal up the doors. Line them with dampining material to turn your door into a speaker cabinet.  Buy or make a ring of MDF to mount the speaker to and/or pack it in modeling clay.
The idea is to prevent the door from absorbing the bass and keep the waves behind the speaker from cancelling the waves in front.  Once the door is sealed and dense enough the bass waves stay inside and compress. Giving the speaker the suspension it needs to launch the bass waves forward without getting canceled or absorbed.  The same speakers will sound a lot better.

MDF ring and clay

http://static1.ponoko.com/design_images/images/32702/9f364aae-877b-949b-97c1-8538e52837a1/img_0787_product_page.jpg?1322591161

Door dampining material

http://simplicity.elitecaraudio.org/jgti42.JPG

Cheap amp will slaughter the most expensive head units.

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/32242120932/100pcs-lot-Lepy-Computer-Amplifier-LP-V3-Hi-Fi-Enthusiast-of-TA8254-Chip-font-b-AMP.jpg

That dynamat is pretty expensive

Maybe I'll just use some of the "big gap" spray foam and see how that works

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-STUFF-16-oz-Big-Gap-Filler-Insulating-Foam-Sealant-248314/100029171

Damn...it seems like you're trying to cheap your way through this whole deal. Why not just do it right?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#2]
My '00 Grand Cherokee has the factory Infinity stereo in it, but I'll be changing the speakers out shortly.

However the wife's '03 Grand Cherokee had the factory Infinity stereo in it as well, but I changed the door speakers out to Infinity Reference series (plays nicer with the factory amp) and upgraded her standard radio to an RB1 unit w/Nav (provides a little more juice for the dash speakers). I haven't gotten around to sealing/dampening the doors yet, but sound clarity is much better as the lows are less muddled.  I also plan on changing the dash speakers to 3" Infinity Reference units as well.

Once I Dynamat the doors, there will be zero need for an amplified woofer.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuck yeah honky

I have two 12 inch Alpine type R's in my Raptor.  

The stock door speakers are crap, I still need to replace them.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I just put a new head unit in my tacoma for the sole purpose of having usb and bluetooth

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I put a new head unit in my Tacoma.  The original was just an AM/FM/CD unit that was probably the same as what they put in their trucks in the 90s.  It didn't even have an aux jack.

I replaced it with a Kenwood Excelon double-din touchscreen unit with GPS, Pandora, HD radio, a DVD player,  Bluetooth,  Siri interface, backup camera input, and other bells and whistles.
I didn't change anything with the speakers or anything else.  I love it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]
MBQuart Q series components front and rear powered by a 4 channel MTX.

Also a 10" dual VC RF woofer in a sealed box with a 500 RMS Mono amp on it.

It isn't anything obnoxious, but it's nice for the Rock & Roll music.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nope, My MB has a brunmuster or brustermister or something like that.  It is from Germany so you know that the German's make good sound.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Only in my 94 land cruiser.  Every car I've had has had a decent factory stereo.  Until rig.  The head unit may have been alright, but the speakers were cardboard garbage.  I literally could not turn the stereo up loud enough to hear it over the wind noise at highway speed.  Granted, this truck has A LOT of wind noise.  Couple hundred bucks later it works a lot better.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Installed a Kenwood head unit and polk audio in the doors, but left the factory amp and sub. Good enough for my old ears
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Peel n seal is a tar patch on a 6" roll with a sticky side and foil backing on the other  It's available in the roofing section of the hardware store.  You need at least 2 rolls, 3-4 would be better.  Commercial car audio door dampining material uses more rubber and is much nicer than sticking tar to your car.  Although many also contain tar and some are all tar as well.

I've used both and both work great as long as you use enough/lots.  I've never smelled tar (common myth).

PnS is a little cheaper than the commercial car audio stuff.  $75-$100 for 3-4 rolls PNS (+ your time) will turn your doors into speaker cabinets.  Dynamat deluxe kit is a little less than double that.  The rubber mats are nicer to deal with but PNS has the physical properties that are needed to achieve the goal.  Some of commercial mats are so thin and small that they don't achieve the goal.  You need thick mats and enough extra to fill all the seams and the outer wall behind the woofer.  Regardless of what type.

It makes a huge difference in the sound quality of any speaker.  Also reduces road noise.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#11]
All of the speakers in my 2007 Chevy shit the bed over a year ago, except the tweeters on the A pillar.  Don't know if it was caused by moisture in the door, shitty head unit, or what.  I guess I am going to get it fixed one day.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#12]
can't in new cars - but i have a factory Harmon Kardon and Bang and Olufsen on the other. wife has a OEM Alpine unit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#13]
tl;dr...  Pack the speaker in some modeling clay (non hardening) and seal the doors with 2-4 rolls of PNS.  Use an external amp.

Spray foam does nothing.  Impossible to remove.  Don't do that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#14]
no
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Peel and Seal roofing material.

Pretty much same stuff as dynamat and a LOT cheaper. Somewhat controversial but look it up on the interwebs and see what you think.

View Quote
NO, it is not the same!  I tried it once, and it took WAY more peel and seal to have the same effectiveness as quality deadener.  It also made my car smell like asphalt during the summer months for THREE years after doing the peel and seal.  But hey, if you like the idea of triple the coverage to achieve the same results as a quality product and don't mind the asphalt smell, by all means, use peel and seal.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:02:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I already installed the front and rear speakers and the sound is stunning except that i have no bass whatsoever

I'll be adding a small amplified driver i ordered off Amazon next week and I'm pretty excited about that

The only thing is. ...i can't find any YouTube reviews of this particular subwoofer, so I have no clue what to expect

My front speakers are Sony 4 way 6--1/2"

Rear are Infinity 6x9's

Subwoofer i wanted something very small as to not sacrifice space

I went with this :

http://www.amazon.com/Powerbass-BTA8-Single-8-Inch-Enclosure/dp/B0081OQRAO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429973759&sr=8-1&keywords=powerbass

View Quote

I got one of those Powerbass subs. Works good for my application and I am happy with it.

My application was in my motorhome. Motorhomes are notorious for crappy sound systems.
All I had was two 2" speakers and it would drive you nuts after a few minutes.
I was just trying to make it bearable to listen to at all without breaking the bank.
I wasn't trying to win any competitions or wake up the neighbors.

I swapped two ceiling speakers for some decent 6 1/2 duals.
I had room enough under the dash for the sub so it is very close to the drivers seat.
After adjusting all the settings on it, it gives some great low end to the system.
If you think that your current setup sounds stunning, then the Powerbass will probably satisfy you.

I must admit, if I was going to upgrade my daily drivers I would have done something totally different.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Would love to see more pictures and specs of others. Keep the ideas flowing.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#19]
No, I always felt that upgraded audio systems are begging a break-in.

The stock radio on my last two cars have been decent enough for me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My experience has been the same. Wifes new BMW sounds amazing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope, My MB has a brunmuster or brustermister or something like that.  It is from Germany so you know that the German's make good sound.  It has like 18 speakers and the BASS makes my marbles move in the seat.

I have a 2015 BMW and I think it sounds pretty bad to be honest. The premium system was only marginally better and not worth the price IMO. I was pleasantly shocked to find out it plays my FLAC files though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Same here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
nope, the factory radio is just fine for me.

Same here

This. Our boat, on the other hand, bumps loud and clear.  New system beginning of last season.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I installed new speakers in the old Camaro, asking with a head unit, which I installed myself, after the guy I wanted to do it started using his teeth to strip wires.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have a 2015 BMW and I think it sounds pretty bad to be honest. The premium system was only marginally better and not worth the price IMO. I was pleasantly shocked to find out it plays my FLAC files though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope, My MB has a brunmuster or brustermister or something like that.  It is from Germany so you know that the German's make good sound.  It has like 18 speakers and the BASS makes my marbles move in the seat.

I'm no audiophile but I plays my jams well enuff. Honestly I don't know which sound system it is. But knowing my wife if it was an option she bought it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I put whatever the cheapest head unit Wally world had that was Ipod/iphone compatible in the Jeep. If someone wants to sell my radio, I'm damn sure not gonna let them steal anything worth a fuck.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

No, I always felt that upgraded audio systems are begging a break-in.

The stock radio on my last two cars have been decent enough for me.
View Quote
Meh we live way out in the country. If the dogs don't get them We will. ;)

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Not since HS.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:31:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Doesn't take much subwoofer to make a huge difference. My son decided he had to have dual 12" in his little Scion xD. It's just retarded overload. I like some punch, but you have to have the subs turned way the hell down and you still can't get enough out of the rest of the system to sound anything close to decent.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#28]
In my truck, I replaced the factory receiver with a cheap Alpine with blue tooth so I could play music from my phone. At that point, I realized one of my speakers wasn't working. Replaced all 4 speakers. That made a huge difference. The degradation over time had been gradual enough that I Didn't realize how bad they had gotten. I was eyeballing one of those powered flat under-seat subs, but never took the plunge. Truck's gone now, Yukon stereo sounds good enough that I have no urge to upgrade it.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Doesn't take much subwoofer to make a huge difference. My son decided he had to have dual 12" in his little Scion xD. It's just retarded overload. I like some punch, but you have to have the subs turned way the hell down and you still can't get enough out of the rest of the system to sound anything close to decent.

View Quote
I disagree.. it depends on how you set up your system. I matched Power with speaker capability. Once tuned its a concert on wheels. Now you can turn the bass up to insane levels and be like every other kid, but Almost all of my Sons friends ask how we made it so loud and balanced.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I disagree.. it depends on how you set up your system. I matched Power with speaker capability. Once tuned its a concert on wheels. Now you can turn the bass up to insane levels and be like every other kid, but Almost all of my Sons friends ask how we made it so loud and balanced.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing another $1000 couldn't fix.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:50:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I put an Alpine 5 channel amp, 2-10" subs and some 6 1/2" components in my work van
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#32]
If you mean the kind of upgrade you do when a speaker goes out and you replace it......then yes.

If you mean the kind of upgrade geared towards improving it....nope.

It's a no-name stock cassette deck.

Now that you mention it, I really should upgrade it.  But I just listen to the radio as it is, so IDK why I need anything more.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:09:57 AM EDT
[#33]
I wish I had a picture of the setup I had in high school.  At one point it was a 40watt amp with a built in EQ mounted under the dash. I wired in the headphone jack of a Walkman that I had hanging off the rear view mirror. The amp was driving some audio of 6x9's in boxes on the rear shelf.

Yeah.....  Highschool.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:14:14 AM EDT
[#34]
nope. i used to spend lots of cash on "systems" in my vehicles. part of me still wants to, but the practical side has beaten the other part of me into submission regarding this matter.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#35]
When I bought my f250 It had a basic am/fm radio.. no cassette no cd no aux no bluetooth. shit piece of the world factory radio.

I put in a Alpine bluetooth head unit and Memphis audio 5x7s up front.. I later built a custom box that replaces the center seat frame in the front with a 8" Kicker Solobaric sub. with and a 450W Kicker amp.  Its a huge improvement. Im satisfied for now but will likely put 2 more 5x7s in the back doors and a 400 watt component amp. its actually sitting in the garage now. just hae to put it in..
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes, but 20+ years as a 12V industry veteran. 2013 F150.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Just upgraded last week.......

...you like?.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Motorola?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#39]
What if mine came upgraded from the factory?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I need a new deck in my 05 Ram. The CD changer has gone out. It's AM FM only right now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My Ranger still has a cassette player.  
View Quote

Replaced the one in my S10 with a Pioneer unit. No CD, just iPod control and Bluetooth for phone.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Soon, the speakers that came in my 2014 Tacoma are shit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#43]
My xD came with a nice CD/radio (the upgrade)
Interfaces with ipod and sounds good.
Even has 1/8" stereo input so I'm all set.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

+1

..and the Infinity sounds system in my Jeep is just fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
no, I'm not 17

+1

Sounds fine... To YOU.  And that's because you have no reference of what "good" sounds like. Not a knock, just a fact. Having done car audio for 15 years, I can tell you that a stock Jeep Infinity system is tolerable at best. Add a decent sub and replace the radio and speakers with even moderately priced equipment and you'll soon realize exactly how much you've been missing.  And I DO mean missing. Pretty much anything below 100 Hz is absent in your stock setup and the midrange is VERY poor.

BUT, if YOU are happy with it, that's what counts. I, however, spend upwards of three hours a day in my vehicle and would rather not fatigue my ears and be able to hear the music as it's supposed to sound. It can DRASTICALLY change the experience.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
no, I'm not 17
View Quote

This.

I may in the future...depending on which direction my midlife crisis takes me.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#46]

My factory head unit crapped out on me, so I upgraded to a Pioneer AVH-X3600BHS.

While it does have a lot of cool functions, it is clunky and slow.

Kind of wished I would have either used a tablet or just got a plain old single din with bluetooth/usb.

Sound quality is not as good as I hoped either, although it is not bad by any means.

At the same time I added a couple amps, component speaker systems, and subs, essentially replacing the whole system.

Amazon had all kinds of crap on sale after christmas and it just kind of snowballed on me.

I should have done this years ago, the factory stereo was pretty crappy.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Sounds fine... To YOU.  And that's because you have no reference of what "good" sounds like. Not a knock, just a fact. Having done car audio for 15 years, I can tell you that a stock Jeep Infinity system is tolerable at best. Add a decent sub and replace the radio and speakers with even moderately priced equipment and you'll soon realize exactly how much you've been missing.  And I DO mean missing. Pretty much anything below 100 Hz is absent in your stock setup and the midrange is VERY poor.

BUT, if YOU are happy with it, that's what counts. I, however, spend upwards of three hours a day in my vehicle and would rather not fatigue my ears and be able to hear the music as it's supposed to sound. It can DRASTICALLY change the experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
no, I'm not 17

+1

Road noise is never part of how music is supposed to sound. It's hard to justify sinking a ton of money into a car system. I was pretty happy with a $90 receiver and $120 in speakers. $350 in a small powered sub would have been nice. But no music is ever going to described as "pure" in a diesel truck with mud tires.
My kid's stereo totally lacks the mids and highs. I think the speakers are probably trashed.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#48]
U
Quoted:

Road noise is never part of how music is supposed to sound. It's hard to justify sinking a ton of money into a car system. I was pretty happy with a $90 receiver and $120 in speakers. $350 in a small powered sub would have been nice. But no music is ever going to described as "pure" in a diesel truck with mud tires.
My kid's stereo totally lacks the mids and highs. I think the speakers are probably trashed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
no, I'm not 17

+1

Road noise is more of a reason TO upgrade. I mean hot dogs are all lips and assholes, but a little ketchup/mustard/relish/etc makes it better, right?
I realize that a vehicle is a less than ideal environment (after all, I'm one of those "Hi-Fi Home Theatre Snobs" ), but why not improve what you can, when you can*?

* Again, I spend 3 hours a day in my car, so my reward to investment ratio may be more significant than that of others...
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:12:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Stock Am/ FM cassette/ CD and stock speakers.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:25:41 PM EDT
[#50]
I installed headers and free flow exhaust system on my Miata. That's the only music I need.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top