Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

People call and email me at fucking midnight. I worked over 70 hours in the past week and I don't get any additional compensation at all. I make the same thing I made as a scheduled employee with roughly 50 hours a week and I have ten times the responsibility. I must be retarded to do this shit.  
View Quote
Quit and find an hourly job.

Big difference from slavery.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've been on salary since I was about 20 years old and I have NEVER had a salaried job like that. Never even met anyone who has.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only advantage salary has is that you know what you'll be making every week.

Yeah. Working whenever you want, wherever you want, taking as much or as little time off as you need, not needing to clock in or out, no limit on lunch breaks or absences for personal things, etc. is way fucking overrated.

Sometimes you pull shitty weeks. Other times you don't. Professional jobs that require work be done when it needs to be done are perfectly suited for salary.

I've been on salary since I was about 20 years old and I have NEVER had a salaried job like that. Never even met anyone who has.

I have had a few like that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm salary but anything over 40 I get 1.5x comp time thanks to my union. In the RR industry I'm surprised the OP doesn't have representation.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Salaried here, I work a flat 37.5 hours a week
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That shit only exists in fairytales.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only advantage salary has is that you know what you'll be making every week.

Yeah. Working whenever you want, wherever you want, taking as much or as little time off as you need, not needing to clock in or out, no limit on lunch breaks or absences for personal things, etc. is way fucking overrated.

Sometimes you pull shitty weeks. Other times you don't. Professional jobs that require work be done when it needs to be done are perfectly suited for salary.

Quoted:

Find better employers.

I just left a salaried position for another salaried position, and both are this way.  This is common in the IT field, especially when you stick to companies that are <10yr old. First company was a networking engineer for a webhosting provider, the second is a network and logistics engineer for a cloud and cloud infrastructure consultancy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:25:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hi. My name is Tim Miller. Nice to meet you.

Now you have.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
People call and email me at fucking midnight. I worked over 70 hours in the past week and I don't get any additional compensation at all. I make the same thing I made as a scheduled employee with roughly 50 hours a week and I have ten times the responsibility. I must be retarded to do this shit.  
View Quote

Sounds like you need to do a better job of "training" those people who call you at odd hours and expect you to work insane hours. I run my own shop now, so extra effort benefits me directly, but when I was an exempt salaried employee ... I just didn't take those calls or respond to e-mails late at night. Nothing I did was an emergency, they can wait.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Then quit.

View Quote

Slaves can't quit...........oh wait.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I feel you, OP.  I've been pulling 80-100 hours per week for the past 10 -12 months.  Hoping it gets better and I get some help is why I hang on.  I call this the "Golden Handcuffs".  I need the money more than anything else in the equation.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#11]
No shit!

<---salaried government leech.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No, I like like not having a supervisor anal-retentively checking my hours and getting freaked out if it's under 40 hours or freaking out if it's over 40 hours.  

If I want to leave early, it's no big deal as long as it's not a pattern and I meet deadlines.  If I want to work on weekends on a complex problem because I know I'll be more productive without being emailed and phoned constantly, it's ok.

Except for 1 month out of the year, I still work around 40 hours a week.  I've been thinking of making Thursday and Friday my weekend, just because I am so much more productive when I am not distracted by emails and phone calls.  If I turn off my phone and email during the work week, I risk not answering my bosses and pissing them off if I don't respond.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, I like like not having a supervisor anal-retentively checking my hours and getting freaked out if it's under 40 hours or freaking out if it's over 40 hours.  

If I want to leave early, it's no big deal as long as it's not a pattern and I meet deadlines.  If I want to work on weekends on a complex problem because I know I'll be more productive without being emailed and phoned constantly, it's ok.

Except for 1 month out of the year, I still work around 40 hours a week.  I've been thinking of making Thursday and Friday my weekend, just because I am so much more productive when I am not distracted by emails and phone calls.  If I turn off my phone and email during the work week, I risk not answering my bosses and pissing them off if I don't respond.

I am required to account for my time to 6 min intervals. We use a business quarter system where I must have 520 hours per quarter. I can take personal time off but must make up the time in the quarter, it can only be personal time not vacation, they won't let you use any banked hours adjacent to vacation. They implemented this when they got rid of your paid personal leave. Salary doesn't mean you can work less hours, it means you can't be paid for working more hours. Salary for me just means no overtime. Before when I was hourly I had flex shift and could move my start and end times. No benefit to salary.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Insert the "You just don't get it" gif.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can walkaway.

Hardly slavery

Insert the "You just don't get it" gif.....

Indeed. You dod not appear to get it when it comes to just how horrific slavery is.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's why I stayed working with the tools in my trade. I was offered salaried/management positions running a crew of tradesmen and always declined. None of the guys I ever worked directly for were happy in those positions.
View Quote

Construction?

If so, then yes. Most of the time a salaried foreman or superintendent for a crew gets the shaft.

I'm salaried and I don't complain about it. I supervise commercial/industrial construction projects and my work weeks range from 0-100 hours. I try to keep them closer to 0 though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:41:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

90 to 130. He went from milking 12 cows in holland when he was 18 to milking 14,000 now with no partners or family money. That takes work. I can catch him there almost every days early as 4 or as late at 10
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ive been on call 24/7 for my entire career while on salary.

I knew that when i agreed to compensation bc im not a special fred. I take pride in being the workhorse that holds this company together. While everyone is gallivanting around the countryside i make things happen.

Ive gotten everything that was agreed on and done everything i can to do my job. I never understood this 40 or 50 hour horseshit but i work in an industry where you would be terminated for working those hours. Ive had to part ways with several guys that refused to work our normal schedule.

I had a new guy last year that commented that he was tired bc i had worked him 60 hours a week for 4 months ( we were slow) my customer looked at him like he was speaking arabic. The customer had no clue how working 60 hours and being tired would be tied together bc he had worked 90 to 130 hours a week for 35 years and he is never tired.

130 hours a week for 35 years?  Ok.......  

90 to 130. He went from milking 12 cows in holland when he was 18 to milking 14,000 now with no partners or family money. That takes work. I can catch him there almost every days early as 4 or as late at 10

I can believe it on a dairy farm, even with 40 cows.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I am salaried. I rarely ever work over 40 hours a week. If I do it is usually less than 1 hour over.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I have never had a salaried position in my life ( 54yo )

Worked as a construction union electrician my whole life ( after military at 18yo ) and for the past 10 yrs have owned my own sports ticket brokering biz.

Why would you punish yourself like that OP ?

Giving away your time and labor for free ( more or less ) seems like a dumb way to make a living ?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

No shit!

<---salaried government leech.
View Quote

Should sue and demand the OT entitled
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#20]
I love my salaried job.  Learn to love your job or find a new one.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I have turned down promotions that would have required an "electronic tether" for only a small increase in pay.  The material and ego rewards of being in management are just not there for me.  I have been lucky to have had some very good bosses who did want the job - many admitted that they did not particularly enjoy it, but somebody had to do it.  The only way I would (and may) do it, is to start and run my own business.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Not all salary positions are equal.

Last company I worked for, Any salary employee who worked more than 2000 hours per year was given the option to take a check or vacation time for any time over 2000.

The company I currently work for does not abide by that policy, but I have to put in the hours to get my job done, or risk losing my job.

It used to take me 60-70 hours a week to do my job, but with more experience I can now do it in 45-55 hours.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

You must be an MTM huh? Was warned about that job when I was considering the industry.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:25:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Slaves can't quit.

This is like calling US politicians Nazis. Its such a gross exaggeration that it insults those who actually experienced such things.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/lawsuit/overtime.html

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#26]
I got into a position where I'm on a call 24/7 .. but I'm also in a top 20 business with a lot of opportunity.  I may be here for a long time or I may move on.. I view the time that I'm spending here as basically writing my own ticket for life.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:34:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Friend at work just got his degree and was told that he would be "promoted" to a process engineer, he declined taking a pay cut with increased hours.
He now has been informed that he has a meeting with the big boss, wonder how that will go.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

Slavery, by definition, is forced upon the 'slave'.

I'm on a salary...but then....I own the company.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Salary is great, if you have the capability to be responsible for balancing your productivity and your personal limits.  If you don't, you should be hourly.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Your industry sounds really lame. Which industry is it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew that when i agreed to compensation bc im not a special fred. I take pride in being the workhorse that holds this company together. While everyone is gallivanting around the countryside i make things happen.

Ive gotten everything that was agreed on and done everything i can to do my job. I never understood this 40 or 50 hour horseshit but i work in an industry where you would be terminated for working those hours. Ive had to part ways with several guys that refused to work our normal schedule.

I had a new guy last year that commented that he was tired bc i had worked him 60 hours a week for 4 months ( we were slow) my customer looked at him like he was speaking arabic. The customer had no clue how working 60 hours and being tired would be tied together bc he had worked 90 to 130 hours a week for 35 years and he is never tired.

Your industry sounds really lame. Which industry is it?

Getting screwed by cows apparently.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Your pay rate should take that into consideration meaning that you are making considerably more than an hourly employee.  If not, time to talk to the boss.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Your pay rate should take that into consideration meaning that you are making considerably more than an hourly employee.  If not, time to talk to the boss.

Quoted:

Or he should be developing employees and systems that prevent this being necessary.  

This is the most common situation I see with people who transfer from hourly to salary, generally into a supervisory position.  They assume their new responsibilities are just the same as their old ones with a minor change in pay or position.  Say a lead machinist, promoted to machine shop supervisor.  He thinks now, that since he was answering technical questions, solving programming or tooling issues, directing which order to do work in, that as supervisor his responsibilities include all of that with the addition of hiring/firing/discipline.  When he should no longer be doing any of that, he should be developing other employees to do that, or putting a system in place to reduce some of that, or delegating in other ways.

Unfortunately most people, from my perspective, lack the ability to trust others enough to delegate, even when they intellectually understand that people will need to try and fail before being successful, they're not willing to entertain allowing that to happen "when they can just do it themselves faster/better."
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#32]
complaining about working

Im surprised your not a 13er

Grow a pair and either tell your boss I need to be compensated or find new employment.

And I thought I was the dumb one around here
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Fuuuck just got called into work. Shit always happens on the weekend

Gotta go hand milk a cow that didnt lIke the machine.

FUCK!

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's a real bummer when your men are on double time and you're making the same thing as if you'd worked an hour.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally unlike hourly where you make 40 hours pay plus time and a half or double time for any additional work after 40 hours. That would absolutely suck to make Double time for a Sunday call.

It's a real bummer when your men are on double time and you're making the same thing as if you'd worked an hour.

don't like it?  quit
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Either A) You're lying, which is pathetic or B) You're telling the truth, which is pathetic
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#36]
I've heard these new phones have something called a ringer off setting.
Keeping the phone in the kitchen also seems to reduce the number of late night interruptions.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I turned down a job like that. 45 hour work week on site, on call 24/7/365. No extra pay for a call out, it was just counted as regular time. Could have been OK if you never get a call, but what if you get called out every night and weekend for four hours and still make the same pay? Piss on that.

ETA: I turned down a union job like that too. They were straight up about it, you WILL get called out and 24-48 hour work periods during an equipment failure would happen. As in go to work all night, get a call ticket, work all day in the field, back to work all night and get another call ticket, back out to the field until it's completed. Pay was the same every Wednesday.

I told them they had the worst union ever.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:38:20 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm salary, but a couple months ago my company switched to us getting OT for anything over 40. I hate staying late there so I never claim any of the OT. If I do work any extra I tend to just arrive late or leave early other days. It will be nice when we get into our busy season, but until then I'd rather have the free time over the money. Little extra money doesn't make up for time lost spending with my daughter and wife.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I expect a whole lot of "Their business their rules" with a fair helping of "Suck it up" and a dash of "Unions suck".

Oddly enough I suspect a good portion of it will come from the very people finding themselves being fucked by their employer.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Freelance for life. No salary job for me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I turned down a job like that. 45 hour work week on site, on call 24/7/365. No extra pay for a call out, it was just counted as regular time. Could have been OK if you never get a call, but what if you get called out every night and weekend for four hours and still make the same pay? Piss on that.  

ETA: I turned down a union job like that too. They were straight up about it, you WILL get called out and 24-48 hour work periods during an equipment failure would happen. As in go to work all night, get a call ticket, work all day in the field, back to work all night and get another call ticket, back out to the field until it's completed. Pay was the same every Wednesday.

View Quote

That is HORRIBLE on call pay.

We're going to 2 hours pay  on weekdays and 3 hours per day on weekends per day plus time and a half til 16 then double time, double time on sundays and holidays, 2 hour min call out, equal time off if you get called in 4 hours or more prior to your normal shift.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#42]
LOL, been salaried a LONG time.
Sucks, but no one is making me stay: in too far to start over now.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

We're going to 2 hours pay  on weekdays and 3 hours per day on weekends per day plus time and a half til 16 then double time, double time on sundays and holidays, 2 hour min call out, equal time off if you get called in 4 hours or more prior to your normal shift.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what's up.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#44]
I work 400 hours per week. Anything less than 375 and you're a fucking Obama-loving dirty hippy slacker.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm base salary + bill OT at an hourly rate.

best of both worlds.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I make myself irreplaceable then do whatever the hell I want. I have worked 16 hours a week for years making >100k/year

Work smart not hard. I am a special case though. I am a software architect, meet all deadlines, exceed expectations.

I am the man that you don't want to fall into enemy hands.

But you are right, work the system, or it works you.
View Quote

Ehat is the difference between a software architect and engineer?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#47]
It's pretty basic - if you don't like your current employer , find a new one
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote
Quit!

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Find better employers.

I just left a salaried position for another salaried position, and both are this way.  This is common in the IT field, especially when you stick to companies that are <10yr old. First company was a networking engineer for a webhosting provider, the second is a network and logistics engineer for a cloud and cloud infrastructure consultancy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Find better employers.

This.  How things are done in high level IT is worlds different for you non-technical production/operations salary guys.  As long as it gets done by deadline and my billable hours are above 60%, no one cares when or how I do it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

What industry is that so I never set foot in it? Jesus man, I work to live, not live to work.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top