Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2015 4:20:53 PM EDT
People who boil meat in a bag are not allowed to post in this thread.

I have been using the "Caveman" method on steaks for over a year now.
I quit grilling them after the very first caveman attempt, wish I'd learned sooner.
This is what I call BBQ Alley, I have about 15 different ways to apply heat & smoke to meats & other side dishes.

This is what I have been doing for the last +year

This is My Grandads old forge & what my new twist on the Caveman is.

These are the test subjects from lastnight, 2 nicely marbled ribeys seasoned only with fresh cracked black pepper & fresh ground Himalayan pink salt.

One at a time in the forge.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#1]

You can get the same effect with less ash and charcoal on the meat by using a grill placed on top of the coals.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#2]

I'll eat it!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#3]
What kind of temp did you get from the forge?  What kind of wood(s) are you using?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#4]
You're just a few grills shy of 87

Steak looks good.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can get the same effect with less ash and charcoal on the meat by using a grill placed on top of the coals.
View Quote
no. just...no

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#6]
thats nasty.. ill take my steak slow water bath cooked..then burned with a map gas torch.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
no. just...no  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no. just...no  

Is the ash and coal the taste you are going for? It is no distance from coal to meat that gives the caveman taste, IMO. No air for grease to burn.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought for several years about trying this method & just couldn't live with myself if I ruined a nice steak.
There was no learning curve at all, 100% perfection right out of the gate.
I thought there would be ashes & nasty aftertaste of coals to deal with, not so.
Used to I would take hours to prep for a steak dinner, now the thing that takes the longest is whatever sides we go with.
Used to I would do all kinds of varying seasonings & marinades, Caveman style has even simplified that, only salt & pepper now.
All my years of great cooking I have had many failures as well, maybe not failures but disappointments, I want every steak to come out perfect & now they do.
I don't know what it is but EVERY steak comes out a 10.
The reason I added the forge was one I was tired of seeing a neat tool that my granddad used was just sitting there rusting away.
Another reason was whenever I went to flip the steak the coals were cooled down to where the second side of the steak didn't get the same char/heat.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Is the ash and coal the taste you are going for? It is no distance from coal to meat that gives the caveman taste, IMO. No air for grease to burn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no. just...no  

I'll prove you wrong, bring a steak over, I'll do it my way & you will never go back to a grill.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I just use my stove top heating element.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#11]

I'll prove you wrong, bring a steak over, I'll do it my way & you will never go back to a grill.
View Quote

One day I'll make it to Texas. I am not doubting your steaks are great excellent, just curious if there is a real difference with a grate placed directly on the coals. I am not talking about a Weber or some shit that has 3-6" of space from coals to meat.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What kind of temp did you get from the forge?  What kind of wood(s) are you using?
View Quote

I don't have a way to gage the temp, I have an infrared laser temp gun but it just blanks out so it's got to be over 1400 deg.
I use Royal Oak real charcoal.
You cant, well you shouldn't use briquettes.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Any pics of the completed steak?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
One day I'll make it to Texas. I am not doubting your steaks are great excellent, just curious if there is a real difference with a grate placed directly on the coals. I am not talking about a Weber or some shit that has 3-6" of space from coals to meat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I place my grate directly over the coals. I love my steaks done this way. Few and Far between do i ever order a steak out anymore.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:49:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm told you can do a skin-on redfish fillet that way too but I've never tried...
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I have done steaks this way.  The steaks though from my experience make the coals loose some heat so the second side doesn's sear as well.  I can get my charcoal grill over 700-800 degrees easily and I get a better sear on both sides than the caveman gimmick.  I did the cavemen thing with more than one grill and from lump on the ground.  It works but a proper charcoal grill with a generous amount of flaming hot coals works better IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#17]

I've done skirt steak like Alton Brown mentions.... and they came out delicious!

Haven't tried any other cuts of meat.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#18]
No Dillo Dust?  Shame.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ah I get what you're saying now, I would think that it would still be different.
I think if you put it on a grill right above the coals you would get a flameup.
When you put it directly on the coals there is no way to flameup, it has no oxygen to make that possible.
Despite what most think there is no ash taste, that is part of what kept me from trying it for so long.
I wish I could give a more scientific explanation but I'm a mechanic with a bad back so I'm going to go with Magnets
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have done steaks this way.  The steaks though from my experience make the coals loose some heat so the second side doesn's sear as well.  I can get my charcoal grill over 700-800 degrees easily and I get a better sear on both sides than the caveman gimmick.  I did the cavemen thing with more than one grill and from lump on the ground.  It works but a proper charcoal grill with a generous amount of flaming hot coals works better IMHO.
View Quote

BOOM  That's why I am doing it on the forge now, I can get the coals back to cherry red when I flip it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I'm told you can do a skin-on redfish fillet that way too but I've never tried...
View Quote

I've never left the skin on my reds. Do you pan sear the skin to crispy? I do this with lionfish and it comes out awesome.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Sous Vide is not "boiling in a bag"....yes, you are a cave man.

I posted...So what are you gonna do about it?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I didn't take one lastninght, shame on me, I knew I was going to make this thread too.
Here is one from before, it could actually pass for lastnights pic because it's exactly the same thing we had
I usually do some mushrooms with rosemary when I do a steak it just complements it so well.
I like to put the leftover butter with Rosemary on my mashed potatoes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

California, 13'er, boiled meat, I don't have to do anything

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've never left the skin on my reds. Do you pan sear the skin to crispy? I do this with lionfish and it comes out awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Redfish on the half shell
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From a 14'er?  Please.....go back to your burnt steak

ETA:  Your ignorance of superior cooking methods is kinda like anti-gunners...you fear what you don't understand.  Educate yourself a little better and then MAYBE we can talk
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

BOOM  That's why I am doing it on the forge now, I can get the coals back to cherry red when I flip it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever works.  I don't have a forge but I will try it again if somehow I end up with one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I place my grate directly over the coals. I love my steaks done this way. Few and Far between do i ever order a steak out anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't have a charcoal grill. So we smoke ours, 475 / high for 2-4 min per side, depending on thickness. Agree about ordering a steak if we go out to eat.  Founf (for us) light olive oil then S&P with a sprinkle of some lemon/garlic powder, patty of butter on top and BAM.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#29]
This seems like a better method to me.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Damn lot of grills there brother. Very nice!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#31]
You do know that smoked and charcol cooked food is linked to cancer right?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
Fuck cancer

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't think of one thing that ISN'T linked to cancer.

I've never tried the caveman method with ribeyes, just t-bones and sirloins.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I didn't take one lastninght, shame on me, I knew I was going to make this thread too.
Here is one from before, it could actually pass for lastnights pic because it's exactly the same thing we had
I usually do some mushrooms with rosemary when I do a steak it just complements it so well.
<a href="http://s98.photobucket.com/user/Wolfflywheel/media/cm%20dinner%20pic_zpskmppzw7y.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l244/Wolfflywheel/cm%20dinner%20pic_zpskmppzw7y.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s98.photobucket.com/user/Wolfflywheel/media/cm%20dinner%20pic_zpskmppzw7y.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l244/Wolfflywheel/cm%20dinner%20pic_zpskmppzw7y.jpg</a>

Nice! I'd scarf that down in a heartbeat. And I'm a grill man for 40 years, even in the dead of winter. I only hope it was bloody on the inside.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#35]
End result looks delicious...but how do you not get bits of charcoal/ash in your steak?

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:43:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
End result looks delicious...but how do you not get bits of charcoal/ash in your steak?

View Quote

I think the science behind it is it is so hot it forms a small barier of steam between the coals and meat?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Anyone try it with mesquite charcoal?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This seems like a better method to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUAUJHBY-EI
View Quote

Burnt steak sucks... That's not charred it's fucking burnt.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everything is linked to cancer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Damn dude, all you're missing is a couple of grills up on cinder blocks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Oh yeah

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#43]
This thread ROCKS!

Thanks OP for reminding me about caveman style.

I hope to try one of these methods out on some deer tenderloin this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#44]
"fresh ground Himalayan pink salt"

Huh?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

ETA:  Your ignorance of superior cooking methods is kinda like anti-gunners...you fear what you don't understand.  Educate yourself a little better and then MAYBE we can talk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You euro weenie with your fancy French methods. A real American man eats his steaks cooked over fire and doesn't care if 80% of the meat is totally over cooked!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

I don't like eating my steak out of an ashtray.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#47]
I let a couple of mesquite splits burn for an hour or so and then added the steak. Turned out nicely.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I let a couple of mesquite splits burn for an hour or so and then added the steak. Turned out nicely.

http://i.imgur.com/GZjpKWG.jpg
View Quote
You need to post more and damn that looks delicious!

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/GZjpKWG.jpg
View Quote

I approve.  Maybe MS isn't that bad after all
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:20:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
"fresh ground Himalayan pink salt"

Huh?
View Quote

You must have missed the memo. Amazon deal, mediteranean sea salt, black pepper, himylayan salt combo. The grinders suck though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top