Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nicotine tablets from Walgreens.
View Quote

They now carry a clone of the 4mg Nicorette mini-lozenges, but under the Walgreens brand. I'd wager they're made on the same production line, just packaged differently.

The mini-lozenges are lots easier to deal with than those big assed tablets or the gum. Over the years I've tried them all.

Kicking the nicotine is the hard part, but as an ex-smoker, at least I'm not breathing all that other toxic shit anymore.

I quit dipping snoose when I noticed that my gums were receding.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:43:36 AM EDT
[#2]
The doctors found a spot of cancer on my dads tongue, so they removed 20% of his tongue.
Then they cut out his lymphnodes(sp?) to check for cancer. He has staples across the front bottom of his neck.
He gonna have to relearn how to talk, and he loves to talk.

He quit smoking 30 years ago, and never dipped.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:50:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:05:52 AM EDT
[#4]
DIfferent strokes for different folks, man.  The key is to commit to whichever one works for you.

I did the "quit all the time" thing for a few years, both smokes and dip.  Quit once for almost two years.  Was proud as hell of it and made a big deal of how long I had gone without.

One day, walked into an EZ-Mart, bought a can and kicked it off again for another 3 years or so...

I've been off it for several years, now.  Can't say exactly how long because I didn't make it a point to know.  I didn't wait until New Years, the day after XXXXXXXX event or some landmark date.  I just got disgusted with my lack of self control, tossed about a 3/4 can I had started and proceeded to be an insufferable prick for some indiscriminate period of time.  Tossed a $5 bill daily into my center console and made it my ammo fund.  It was less than I'd actually been spending on dip but still added up to a decent ammo stash over time.

I'm guesstimating it's been 3 or 4 years, now.

I still sometimes find myself patting my back pocket when I settle into the drivers seat for a trip or in a class environment.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:16:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I quit cold turkey. I had my last chaw of Levi Garrett the day before this past thanksgiving.

I will probably start again in the field in june.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:25:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Going on 5 years quit of a can a day of cope. I quite cold turkey. Had been dipping every day since 1994. I don't know why I failed miserably countless times until this last time. I ran out one day and never bought another can. I bummed a dip from a buddy last year and almost barfed. I'm done for good!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:27:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Cold turkey.  I quit on December 31 2014. Told my then fiance that I would quit when we got married.  So I got an early jump on it.  Cravings for a few weeks.  Easiest thing to do is just don't go into the store to buy it.

I don't miss it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:52:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm terrified of getting mouth cancer. Any suggestions on quiting/ easing cravings?
View Quote

Cold turkey. If you want it bad enough you can do it.

I did it and it was  a bitch, but not impossible. Salted sunflower seeds helped me with cravings. Havnt had a chew in six years.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:57:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Copenhagen for 25 years. Just loved the stuff too much. Cold turkey, haven't touched it for 10 years.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:09:25 AM EDT
[#10]
For about 15 years if I was awake and not eating something, I had a dip in. Literally. Wake up, put dip in, shit, shower, shave, take dip out, brush teeth, immediately put new dip in and head to work.... I used nicotine gum for a while, then regular gum and sunflower seeds. I haven't had any form of nicotine in about a year and a half, but I still freak out if I don't have any gum or seeds. Its almost the same as not having tobacco when you're addicted. Oh well, it's better than tobacco I guess...
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:07:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I have been chewing for 21 years and I just turned 36.

I have a chew in almost 24/7 and I try not to sleep with pouches in but I normally do.

I am trying to just stick with pouches and  between pouches I use the fake mint pouches.

Oral fixation is my biggest problem although the fake stuff helps.

I still want the real thing every morning and after meals or when I have a beer.

My wife works for a Dentist office so I get checked every 5 months and they say I have perfect gums teeth.

Its a work in progress

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I smoked for 10+ years! one day I decided to quit and that was it.   Still think about a smoke every once in a while and it's been 3 years.  I think you just have to make up your mind to do it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I quit cold turkey after about 12 years of dipping.  It sucked the first couple of weeks, but it's been about 10 years now.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#14]
August 3rd was my last dip October 3rd was my last piece of nic gum. It took awhile for my pooping to get back on schedule. That gum has some serious side effects. Google it.
Chewed 10 years. Stick with it. Drink tons of water. I also gained 10 lbs.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:05:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I quit cold turkey after a year of heavy use. Good luck, it's possible.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I did it once and quit.

I'm sure that's a big help
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quit December 2009 after 30 years of Copenhagen/skoal use.....I went on a 6 day cruise and didn't take any with me. Been free every since
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Cold turkey. I quit on a Friday, set myself to stay busy in the garage all weekend and warn everyone to leave me be until Monday. I quit a couple times a year, sometimes for a few weeks and sometimes for a few months.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Nope, have a box of Kodiak IN the computer tower at work and a Coke can spit cup.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Dipped Copenhagen for 22 years. Put it down in May of '02 and never used it since. I also quit drinking alcohol at the time, which helped.
I started running and that helped me focus on a more healthy lifestyle as well.

For me when I first started dipping, Hagen was cheap, .42 a can and it was potent. By the time I quit, I was so sick of the money spent on it and how week and tasteless it was.
It had lost that ammonia stench that it used to have. It was just dry, weak ass tobacco. Think of all the shitty aspect of it and it might help you 86 that habit, good luck!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Click HERE

Quoted:
I'm terrified of getting mouth cancer. Any suggestions on quiting/ easing cravings?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#22]
No, but I inadvertantly quit smoking 6 days ago and my intake of grizzly wintergreen has doubled
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I picked a day and bought enough dip to get to that date then quit cold turkey. Took me about 3 days to stop being a raging asshole but I kinda kept to myself. I was fine for 5 years outside of still having "habits" like saving pop bottles in the car and my gf at the time caught me talking to the preacher at homecoming packing a throwaway cup with napkins.

Then I was shooting IDPA and a guy opened a can of cope right next to me. I wanted a dip so bad all day long. I stopped at the gas station on the way home and bought a can. It was like I never quit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#24]
It will be 7 years dip free in May. I still miss it after meals and driving. Sometimes when I dream I am dipping, freaks me out.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I dipped a can of cope a day for 15-16 years, I quit cold turkey a couple years ago.

Buy some Smokey Mountain herbal dip and show nicotine you're stronger than it is.
View Quote

I used the Smokey Mountain snuff to wean myself off of Copenhagen. First week I mixed the two 3/4 Cope to 1/4 Smokey and progressed from there. After a month I was only dipping Smokey and kept that up for another month.

In May, it will be 10 years since I had any tobacco product.

It wasn't easy and I still crave Copenhagen when I go fishing or when I'm working outside.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Colt turkey is only way.  Good luck OP
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been an off and on smoker and dipper since HS. I started just casually in 2003 and fought with the habit since then. The guilt of trying to hide it from my family and friends provided me with the desire to quit. Of all my friends and family only my wife and a friend or two could tell you that I was a regular tobacco user.

Sunflower seeds and gum were an ok oral replacement. But the consistent desire to quit, to not die of self inflicted cancer and not have to think of myself as a liar trying to hide it from everyone are what gave me success.

Every time you say no it gets easier the next time. I still love tobacco, it's just gotten easy to tell myself no.

I think about this quote a lot too:
"Refrain tonight, and that shall lend a hand of easiness to the next abstinence; the next more easy; for use can almost change the stamp of nature, and either curb the devil, or throw him out with wondrous potency." Willam Shakespeare, Hamlet
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Nicorette gum
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The doctors found a spot of cancer on my dads tongue, so they removed 20% of his tongue.
Then they cut out his lymphnodes(sp?) to check for cancer. He has staples across the front bottom of his neck.
He gonna have to relearn how to talk, and he loves to talk.

He quit smoking 30 years ago, and never dipped.
View Quote

Did he drink alcohol or was he exposed to HPV? Those are big oral cancer risk factors.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

13 years ago.

My dentist said I had pre-cancerous lesions, I quit when my son was born.

Wanted to be around for him.

I chewed great wads of nicotine gum.

Ignore the instructions, I chewed it by the handful. Dip users have a high tolerance.

Over time I mixed in regular gum (cinnamon, mint)  and gradually cut back on the nicotine gum and weaned off it. Transitioning to regular gum kept my mouth busy and made it easier.

after a while I quit chewing gum as well.

It was expensive, but worth it in the long run.
View Quote
I quit 17 years ago, the day my son was born.  

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top