Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 4/21/2015 12:24:58 AM EDT

he city of Parma, Missouri, elected a new mayor for the first time in 37 years. Her welcome package to the job: Over 80% of the town’s police force resigned, effective immediately:

Outgoing Mayor Randall Ramsey told KFVS that, in addition to 5 of the town’s 6 police officers, several local officials also resigned:

“[T]he city’s attorney, the clerk and the waste water treatment plant supervisor also turned in resignation letters citing ‘safety concerns.'”

The alleged “safety concerns” are currently unclear, and newly-elected Mayor Tyrus Byrd, a former city clerk and Parma native, declined to comment on the sudden exodus of city employees.

Byrd also indicated that she never received any official resignation letters:

According to resident Martha Miller:

“I think it was pretty dirty the way they all quit without giving her a chance. But I don’t think they hurt the town by quitting, because who needs six police for 740 people?”

Another resident, Terrell Thatch agrees:

More here: http://www.ijreview.com/2015/04/301227-numerous-city-officials-resign-missouri-town-elects-new-mayor-first-time-37-years/
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:25:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:27:05 AM EDT
[#2]
" Hands up Don't Shoot "    Oh yeah, now nobody will listen
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:27:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Please tune in for the next episode of "Unintended Consequences".

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:28:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Theres gotta be more to the story. Hell, I hope theres more to the story!
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:28:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think her being black is why they quit.  I have a feeling she has said a lot of anti-police racial stuff while campaigning.  Just a wild guess though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:30:43 AM EDT
[#6]
lol

They don't need 6 cops anyway. If you sneeze while driving you'll completely miss Parma.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:31:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I've never heard of Parma; I had to look it up.

That place is way more rural than I'd guessed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:32:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Makes me wonder what the real story is.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:32:35 AM EDT
[#9]
At first, I was like "80%"

But then I learned that's only 5 out of 6.

Easily replaced.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:33:57 AM EDT
[#10]
6 cops for 740 people? Seems unnecessary anyways.

I think this new mayor may have just saved this town some money.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:34:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't think her being black is why they quit.  I have a feeling she has said a lot of anti-police racial stuff while campaigning.  Just a wild guess though.
View Quote

Or, the cops were just cronies of the previous mayor who had been in 37 years, and knew they weren't going to have a job after the new mayor took office.

Apparently the new mayor is a Republican, while the old mayor is a Democrat.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:34:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
lol

They don't need 6 cops anyway. If you sneeze while driving you'll completely miss Parma.
View Quote

Uhhh, never scheduled staff before, I see.

There are 7 days in a week.

If you had 2 officers, they'd both have to work 12 hour shifts, 7 days a week.

4 officers would be MINIMAL (for 24/7 coverage), but only if none of them ever get sick or take a vacation.

5 would allow for coverages when one of the other staff is unable to work.

6 would be optimal.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:35:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Neo-journalism says: Something happened=racism. Just shaping the narrative.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:35:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Well her first week on the job is going to look good for the bean counters, law enforcement and local body expenses have just plummeted!

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:36:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

The minumum number of cops that should ever be on duty is two plus a supervisor. Doesnt matter if you have 740 people or 74,000 thats the minimum.

If you cant afford that you shouldnt have your own PD and should instead contract with a larger agency for police services.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:37:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

4 officers would be MINIMAL (for 24/7 coverage), but only if none of them ever get sick or take a vacation.

6 would be optimal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

6 would be optimal.

not any more....
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:37:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm sure they have no trouble finding new work with that on their resume.  I'm sure she'll shed a lot of tears harvesting the hell outa the pension plan too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:37:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

6 would be optimal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

6 would be optimal.

LOL

When you spend some time in Parma then you and I can have an intelligent, informed discussion on the lack of need for 24/7 coverage.

Eta: frankly they don't need any. It would be cheaper and just as effective to have county patrol it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:38:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Theres gotta be more to the story. Hell, I hope theres more to the story!
View Quote

Gotta be more, for sure.

I'll wait to hear the rest of the story (at least, the rest of the story that actually gets published).before jumping into the fray.

This is going to be interesting.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:41:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The minumum number of cops that should ever be on duty is two plus a supervisor. Doesnt matter if you have 740 people or 74,000 thats the minimum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that unless the town has a serious meth problem any cops is too many and unneeded.

Plenty of bigger towns get by with only the local sheriff.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:43:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you cant afford that you shouldnt have your own PD and should instead contract with a larger agency for police services.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thats cute. I work in a town of a little over 2k, 32 of my 40 hours are alone.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:43:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Laughable. Our county sheriff dept has 6 deputy's and one investigator.  They seem to manage approx1600 square miles just fine.  I fail to see how a town of 600 people needs or can afford a police force at all.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:43:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Or, the cops were just cronies of the previous mayor who had been in 37 years, and knew they weren't going to have a job after the new mayor took office.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could be that as well.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:45:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Laughable. Our county sheriff dept has 6 deputy's and one investigator.  They seem to manage approx1600 square miles just fine.  I fail to see how a town of 600 people needs or can afford a police force at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ticket revenue
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:46:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:47:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Makes me wonder what the real story is.
View Quote

Possibly some ghosts in the closet getting flushed out by the new admin ?

That town looks pretty decrepit, 37 years for it's first new mayor I doubt she will even be able to find pure accounting of where tax money was "applied".
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:48:13 AM EDT
[#27]
The Founders are spinning in their graves.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:49:14 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
This here is a pretty good wild guess

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:50:57 AM EDT
[#29]
sounds like the mayor has a reputation for being a major cunt...

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:54:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
lol

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:55:38 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

6 would be optimal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

6 would be optimal.

A city of 740 doesn't even need a police department.  Let the county sheriff handle it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:55:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
lol

View Quote

A total of 6 officers probably means there is one on duty at all times.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:56:30 AM EDT
[#33]
NVM, not race related...might have to do with with ties to the past mayor.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:57:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

Complete waste of funds.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:59:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

LOL

When you spend some time in Parma then you and I can have an intelligent, informed discussion on the lack of need for 24/7 coverage.

Eta: frankly they don't need any. It would be cheaper and just as effective to have county patrol it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

6 would be optimal.

LOL

Most towns of that size do just that (with maybe a local guy on call).

6 is shady as fuck.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:05:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:06:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Considering the fact that the officers would have probably known her pretty well as a city employee, I'm guessing she has a reputation.  I'd be willing to bet that she holds strong views on Mike Brown shooting and they jumped ship rather than work for a woman who would throw them under the bus.  Looking at the town's demographics, it's 40% black, that means the chances of having a "bad" encounter with that group are probably pretty high.  If she values race over the truth, I wouldn't want to work for her either.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:10:17 AM EDT
[#38]

Good for her.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:14:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Anyone want to guess she was going to disband the police dept.. Quit or be fired would be my guess. Keep the one guy and hire another with incentive to stay.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:15:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Has to be more to this story.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:15:58 AM EDT
[#41]
She has the black lady equivalent of the "Can I talk to the manager?" haircut. That's why they quit!!

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:20:23 AM EDT
[#42]
I see a lot of people thinking small towns don't need any direct officers, and let the county handle it.

Many small cities are in small counties.

Which means, if I am answering a call on the north end, and you in your city need me... it might be awhile.

Bigger thing to look at is, not the cops. Cops come and go.

When the city attorney AND the shit plant operator both pop smoke, THAT's a clue.

Either she is swooping in to clean up a buncha good-ol-boy nonsense, or she is going to obama that municipality, R or not.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:21:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:23:31 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Considering the fact that the officers would have probably known her pretty well as a city employee, I'm guessing she has a reputation.  I'd be willing to bet that she holds strong views on Mike Brown shooting and they jumped ship rather than work for a woman who would throw them under the bus.  Looking at the town's demographics, it's 40% black, that means the chances of having a "bad" encounter with that group are probably pretty high.  If she values race over the truth, I wouldn't want to work for her either.
View Quote

Maybe, or that now the old mayor is gone, the overstaffed police department can see the writing on the wall.

Perhaps she is requiring an audit of the police department and the rats are fleeing....

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:26:47 AM EDT
[#45]
according to some site I found trying to see what her campaign platform was:

she won by 38 votes

there was 2 full time and 3 part timers,

and

they wiped every computer in city hall on the way out...

curious and curiouser...  
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:27:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Maybe, or that now the old mayor is gone, the overstaffed police department can see the writing on the wall.

Perhaps she is requiring an audit of the police department and the rats are fleeing....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems the most likely thing
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:27:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
according to some site I found trying to see what her campaign platform was:

she won by 38 votes

there was 2 full time and 3 part timers,

and

they wiped every computer in city hall on the way out...

curious and curiouser...  
View Quote

Make you wonder what those poor tax payers had been buying all those years.....
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:29:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possibly, I'm just guessing based on the proximity to ferguson and the fact that 5 out of 6 cops left.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:31:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Could see that, depending on what her particular stance was on certain things.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:33:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm sure they have no trouble finding new work with that on their resume.  I'm sure she'll shed a lot of tears harvesting the hell outa the pension plan too.
View Quote

Umm yeah, about that.....    well... they didn't exactly have an Extorris defined pension plan.

...else they wouldn't have quit.      They would have retired in style.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top