Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#1]
12 months x 40 years x $70 per month = $33,600!

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess we're not going to find out where this injustice is occurring.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:21:02 PM EDT
[#3]
How many people like you in your area OP ?

IMHO , your only hope is there are hundreds of you, and you all go to the council meetings and raise hell.

Odds of winning? Slim and none, but fuck taking that shit lying down

Good luck
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Pick your commie state of choice. You may guess right. I'm guessing cali.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Call your elected officials that voted the ordinance into law.  Their names are public record.

People recommending that you start with a lawyer must be willing to contribute something towards those legal fees.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If that were the case I'm sure he would have said so.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Schools that he may not send kids to. Roads that he may not drive on. Water system that he does not use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What exactly are the billing you for?

Schools that he may not send kids to. Roads that he may not drive on. Water system that he does not use.

Yep.  So goes the trials of a property owner.  

I had to pay for a sewer tap a few years ago when the county decided to run lines to my neighborhood.  Tap, connections, and crushing the perfectly good septic tank ran a little over $6k.  Now I get the privilege of paying for sewage (2 times the cost of the water).

Somebody remind me why it was such a bad idea for only land owners to have the vote...  

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in the Dakotas.

Also, I am literally the only parcel that is not hooked to the city water. I guess it was too expensive for them to run it out to me, but they certainly don't mind charging me for it... or taking my home if I don't pay.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Use every drop that you are allotted as part of the $70 fee. Then use your own well water for the rest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hook into city service, turn on the spigot into your yard, do not turn off...ever.

This would be a bad idea if the sewer service is based on water use.

Use every drop that you are allotted as part of the $70 fee. Then use your own well water for the rest.

He can't.  There is no water line running to his property.  All he gets is the bill...

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Doesn't matter where!  

It is occurring . . . or about to start occurring . . . anywhere that anyone depends on any form of local city/county/state government for any sort of basic service . . . GET USED TO IT.

Your only real option is to move . . . somewhere outside the reach of any government/bureaucratic/union control . . . GOOD LUCK.

dp
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

He can't.  There is no water line running to his property.  All he gets is the bill...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hook into city service, turn on the spigot into your yard, do not turn off...ever.

Correct. There isn't even a line close to me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Doesn't matter where!  

It is occurring . . . or about to start occurring . . . anywhere that anyone depends on any form of local city/county/state government for any sort of basic service . . . GET USED TO IT.

Your only real option is to move . . . somewhere outside the reach of any government/bureaucratic/union control . . . GOOD LUCK.

dp
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't matter where!  

dp

The funny thing about this is that I moved to the middle of nowhere to get away, exactly as you describe, only to wind up getting annexed by a shithole little town that suddenly started imposing their authoritah on me.

And I have absolutely no say in the matter.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The fee probably has an end date then (like when the water treatment plant is paid off)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What exactly are the billing you for?

They are billing me for having a "parcel" within city limits, which they say means I have to help pay for their recent water project. There isn't even a pipe that comes onto my property, much less a curb stop or city water supply of any kind. My property is entirely self-contained for everything except electricity. So basically, they are telling me I have to pay for a service I do not receive or they will place a lien on my home.

So is it a special tax?

It doesn't sound like you're being billed for water service. It sounds more like a tax of some kind to pay for a treatment plant?

Either way that's messed up if you're not eligible for water service.

Not a tax. It's a fee that was amended into the water ordinances.

The fee probably has an end date then (like when the water treatment plant is paid off)
these NEVER expire.  Just like Turnpike fees.

Here in Tulsa the city is lobbying to extend a sales tax.  They keep saying You'll get XYZ for no additional cost!   The morons don't realize their costs will go DOWN.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#14]
The $70 includes 1000 gallons of water?

Cool, ask them if they will be delivering in 1 gallon jugs or larger 5 gallon types...
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They aren't calculating anything. $70 is the base rate to pay for their brand new water project that was just completed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How are they calculating your bill without any kind of meter (or even connection?)

How is it they can place a lien against your property for failing to pay a utility bill?    

Where do you live?

They aren't calculating anything. $70 is the base rate to pay for their brand new water project that was just completed.

A BASE RATE of $70!?  Holy Hell!  I'm on septic, but have county water... My bill (metered) is between $14 and $19 a month.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The funny thing about this is that I moved to the middle of nowhere to get away, exactly as you describe, only to wind up getting annexed by a shithole little town that suddenly started imposing their authoritah on me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't matter where!  

dp

Was there a vote on the annexation?  Or did the township just come in and say 'Fuck you, you're all part of XYZ township' now?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Insult to injury.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Was there a vote on the annexation?  Or did the township just come in and say 'Fuck you, you're all part of XYZ township' now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't matter where!  

dp

There was no general vote. We had to have signatures from owners who held 75% or more of the land to be annexed, by appraised value, to oppose it. A large plot of empty land to be annexed belonged to a person living another state, who didn't really give a shit either way. He wouldn't sign and so we couldn't stop it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's even more fucked up. Holy hell!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just did this with my township. Except with septic. I have a perfectly function septic system but.... I had to pay my fair share of there install on pubic sewer.
My street to the tune of $9,800. Plus. If or when my septic fails I must pay to hook up about another $11,000 and pay a hook up fee to the township.
We tried to fight in court ( not me but I contributed to the lawyer fees) township wins

That's even more fucked up. Holy hell!

We have two parcels here in HB and after we had to abandon the well (another story but a simple legal one) we paid to hook both parcels into city water.  About $20K each.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So there isn't a guarantee you would ever get such service.  Who's gonna fund a line project just for you?  They might have to annex more to make it worthy.  I would n't pay a dime on a service you have no access to and may never.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Seen this movie before.  Early eighties, Orange County, Florida.  Old timer veteran refused city water/sewer.  Took county to court.  Lost.  Appealed.  Lost.  Final appeal.  Lost.

Sheriffs deputy's came;  shots fired.  They machine gunned the homeowner veteran.

Ray
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Have you thought of contacting the state attorney general?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Have you thought of contacting the state attorney general?
View Quote

Already did. He said "We can't give out advice on such matters. We're here to serve as legal counsel to the governing body and agencies of the state only."
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Seen this movie before.  Early eighties, Orange County, Florida.  Old timer veteran refused city water/sewer.  Took county to court.  Lost.  Appealed.  Lost.  Final appeal.  Lost.

Sheriffs deputy's came;  shots fired.  They machine gunned the homeowner veteran.

Ray
View Quote

That's terrible At least the he didn't go down without a fight.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:59:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the plan.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This is the plan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the plan.

The closest city line isn't even within 1000' of my place.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ray
View Quote

Old timer died having never been extorted I'll bet.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Years ago they came thru here and did the same thing. You could pay X amount to hook on now or full price later.  If you didnt hook on, you were charged something like $16 a month 'non-user fee'.  They ran the pipes down the street for hook ups but the home owner had to pay for piping from house to street. All houses 150' or less had to hook up or pay the fee. Anyone over that, it was an option.

Have they ran the piping to your area where you can hook up?  If not, I would tell them you want to hook on but you cant.  Then I would fight in court.

BTW 20 yrs of not paying is $16,800. If they put a lien are they going to charge late fees, etc etc.  If not, put the money in the bank and if you are still alive when you wanna sell, you have the money.  If not, who cares.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I wonder what it would cost to have the judge make them plumb water to your house at their cost  ....

Oh, yeah ... make it real public too about the what the cost will be and who is the end payer for such an installation (ie everyone)

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#30]
On the 1st of the month have the city fill a 1000 gallon barrel and have them meet you at the city's government building.  Just pull the plug and walk away.  Do this every month.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Simple question for OP & all the rest of GD.

Do you think this is the first time this sort of local .gov action has occurred?

Nope.

Do you have a reasonable guess how often the little guy beat .gov at this game?

Almost never.

OP, I suggest you attend the next council meeting and demand they hook you up to the water system you are now forced to pay.  If they say again "too expensive" ask them to vote to remove your parcel from the fee paying list.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:38:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I really feel OP's pain. I do.

In GD's defense....This is why killdozers were invented.

You have every reason to be angry.

This sucks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:40:49 PM EDT
[#33]
It's no different than people not having kids having to pay school taxes.

That is the way the majority of the people want this country to work.

Welcome to big governmnet. There is nothing you can do.  You are powerless.

Pay the bill or go out killdozer style are your only two options.  They know you are going to take the former.  So just write the check and get it over with.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

How are they calculating your bill without any kind of meter (or even connection?)

How is it they can place a lien against your property for failing to pay a utility bill?

Where do you live?
View Quote
I see utility liens, mowing liens and other municipal liens every day. It costs them noting to file one and nobody will finance a property with a lien against it.

If a lien goes far enough into arrears a judge can issue an Order of Sale and the county sheriff will auction your property off on the courthouse steps.

For a certain period of time, (2 years, I believe), you can pay the purchaser the lien amount and interest on the purchase amount and get a Certificate of Redemption from the court.

A lot of places combine water, sewer and garbage pick-up charges into one bill. Other than not having a water meter, there's no way to prove the other services aren't being used....and they don't really care...they're bureaucrats and they aren't accountable.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's no different than people not having kids having to pay school taxes.

That is the way the majority of the people want this country to work.

Welcome to big governmnet. There is nothing you can do.  You are powerless.

Pay the bill or go out killdozer style are your only two options.  They know you are going to take the former.  So just write the check and get it over with.
View Quote

Needs less killdozer and more heavily armed angry mob.  But we all know that pissed off mob has more important shit to do, or so they think.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Seems wrong, hire a lawyer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Lawyer up.

View Quote

Save you money. Nothing can be done that I've seen - because they combine other municipal services on one bill.

At some point, your only option is to move outside of any municipal control.

It ain't right...but it is what it is.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Not a tax. It's a fee that was amended into the water ordinances.
View Quote

That's one of the traps we've fallen into as a society.

It's a tax.  

They can call it a "fee for water ordinances"  all they want.

It's a tax.

When you pay your vehicle registration, it's called a plate fee.  ITS A TAX.

When the governmnet takes your money, it's a tax.  Every fee, certificate, permit, filing cost, inspection fee, building permit fee, etc etc is a TAX.  If America would wake up and understand this, we could actually be able to reform this situation.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#39]
I know a guy that has septic, he lives in the county. He is delinquent on his sewer bill. 5 miles from the closest sewer line.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

send them this in lieu of $70
View Quote

Best idea yet!

Hell, let's all send a bag on behalf of the OP!

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I know a guy that has septic, he lives in the county. He is delinquent on his sewer bill. 5 miles from the closest sewer line.

View Quote

Eventually the county will file a lien, get a judgment and an order of sale from the court, and then the sheriff will sell that guy's property on the courthouse steps.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:06:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
City limits end at my lot line and my street is kinda' like an island amongst the city properties so I live in fear that one day I will receive a "Congratulations, you have been annexed into the city.  You will now be paying for a new water pipe, sewer pipe, sidewalk, streetlights, etc."

View Quote

Sounds like you have a border war then.  Unless you decide to give in and accept their boot on your neck.  Why not pre-emptivly annex the city?  It would be a fun hobby in any case.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So a nearby city which recently annexed an area that includes my house is now demanding that I pay for city water or they will place a lien against my property.

The only problem is that I don't have city water service. I'm on a private well and always have been. The city knows this and they said "Don't care, you still have to pay because it's an ordinance that says even non-curb stop homes have an obligation to pay for city services."

So Hive Lawyers, am I stuck paying an outrageous ($70/mo) Water bill for water that I don't even have or use?
View Quote

Now you know how I feel about being forced to help pay for others' kids to get public "education."  
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Sounds like you have a border war then. Unless you decide to give in and accept their boot on your neck. Why not pre-emptivly annex the city? It woudl be a fun hobby in any case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

City limits end at my lot line and my street is kinda' like an island amongst the city properties so I live in fear that one day I will receive a "Congratulations, you have been annexed into the city. You will now be paying for a new water pipe, sewer pipe, sidewalk, streetlights, etc."

Sounds like you have a border war then. Unless you decide to give in and accept their boot on your neck. Why not pre-emptivly annex the city? It woudl be a fun hobby in any case.

Genius.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the plan.

I ran 1160 feet to get water. It's not that expensive with a trencher.

If I was paying for it, it damn sure get it.

Even if you just pour 1000 gallons a month on the ground - I'd run the water line.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:14:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm in the Dakotas.

Also, I am literally the only parcel that is not hooked to the city water. I guess it was too expensive for them to run it out to me, but they certainly don't mind charging me for it... or taking my home if I don't pay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in the Dakotas.

Obviously one of your county politicians wants your parcel of land.  You need to find out which one, and  ... dissuade them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Pay it in pennies every month.  

Then alteranting mixed coins ms.  They can't legally refuse US currency.  

Let them refuse payment.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the plan.

Well, finding those lines and digging them up and seeing if there is water in them might give them reason to reconsider.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#49]
I would have already called a major news agency
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Don't know the answer, but it is shit like this that causes people to build Killdozers.
View Quote

My first thought as well.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top