Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/20/2015 4:58:27 PM EDT
Is it ok to "play wrestle" with a dog, in this case a rottweiler? My Rott is 6 months old and seems to really enjoy it, he doesn't bite me hard just kind of nibbles on me in a playful manner. He has never showed any signs of aggression but my wife seems to think it will make him mean. Whats the hive think?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#2]
If it makes a dog mean then kids have been fucking up dogs for a VERY long time!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on the dog. We had one dog I play-wrestled with all the time, he loved it and knew we were playing. The other dog, though, would get aggressive and think I was trying to fight him, so we couldn't play rough with him ever.

EDIT: Both dogs were Labs around 100 - 120 pounds.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's "bad" I'm going straight to hell.
View Quote

Ditto.

It's like one of the funnest things ever.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#5]
You'll never be a real Alpha Male if you wrestle with your dog.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#6]
For big dogs..... no

for little dogs..... maybe.  Depends on how rough.

Little dogs are designed for old ladies.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#7]
No, I rough house mine and she knows enough to not hurt me.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably depends on the dog.

Mine has never bite me but when we play and I'm hiding the ball or rope from her she will nip at my hand, but it's not really a bite, just barely any pressure and she's always wagging her tail.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I won't wrestle with my working dogs it gives them the idea that they are fighting for dominance. Never a good idea to let a dog think they can wrestle with you.

Side note Bill Burr has a skit on it

https://youtu.be/4sUEaATniCo?t=324

edit*
my pooch

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I won't wrestle with my working dogs it gives them the idea that they are fighting for dominance.

Side note Bill Burr has a skit on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sUEaATniCo
View Quote

Just don't let it win, unless that's what you fear...

...losing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:05:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Dag dependent.

I do with our dag, but even when she "gets me" she doesn't clamp down, only a light bite.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#12]
My dog knew exactly what was going on and never tried to hurt me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Never had a dog that big.  My heelers never have offered to get mean, but they do bite HARD, playing or not. They are very high strung though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No, I rough house mine and she knows enough to not hurt me.
View Quote

this... never bites, always open making some goofy waahhhahhhhhhahhaahahhhh noise
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#15]
My golden LOVES "fighting" with me. Never actually bites me though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#16]
No, just make sure that you control the game.

When you say enough that dog better stand at attention instantly.

My dogs will go into full on WWF mode when I start it, as soon as it's over they are calm within seconds.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I hope not, I wrestle my dog every day.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#18]
My meth lab (crazy chocolate) nips at my hand if I'm walking and haven't played with her enough.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#19]
All animals I've had around me - cats and dogs alike - seemed happier when given that type of interaction. I never did treat any of mine like a yard ornament...every one has been actively engaged from very early on with "pack play".
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#20]
that's all my dog ever wants to do, wrestle around, throw a ball or play with a rope toy.  he understands the words "ball" and "rope toy" too.  to wrestle i dont even have to say anything, i just have to look at him with a goofy look and it's on. like donkey kong.  like charles bronson.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Dogs rough house with each other, why wouldn't they rough house with us too?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#22]
FURRY THREAD

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

that's all my dog ever wants to do, wrestle around, throw a ball or play with a rope toy.  he understands the words "ball" and "rope toy" too.  to wrestle i dont even have to say anything, i just have to look at him with a goofy look and it's on. like donkey kong.  like charles bronson.
View Quote

thats awesome
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a German Shepherd/Chow mix we got when I was 16 that was abused before it was pretty clear when we got her from the pound by hee timidness she had gotten the piss beat out of her many times. My dad has a split entry house my room was downstairs and she for some reason (probably something from her past) would never go down there. I would take her for runs buy her special treats so she was my dog in my mind and I wanted her to sleep in my room with me so eventually I forced her downstairs on the leash and she sniffed around and has since decided it was okay. Anyhow point of the story was I would come home from school and wrestle with this damaged (emotionallly) dog every day for an hour or two and she loved it. Now I'm 23 anytime I visit my dads we have a little wrestle and she goes right up to my baby boy and licks his cheek (my son likes to grab and pull on her hair but she don't care in the slightest). (I left her at dads because he has 4 other dogs there that have all become very friendly.) Sorry for he long winded post OP but I think you're okay.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My dogs will go into full on WWF mode when I start it, as soon as it's over they are calm within seconds.
View Quote

Pretty much this.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I miss wrestling my girl.  Sometimes you have to let them win.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

My thoughts as well, assert dominance. My vet advised me not to wrestle with him but if I did to pin him down after every session.

I've been wrestling with him since he was a baby and he's still very friendly but likes to jump on us when we walk by him and nip in a playful way so as of now I'm not seeing any real negative side effects.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I wrestled around with my Rottweiler to some degree.
However when he was full grown this was to a very limited degree. We would have ended up breaking the furniture and what-not.
He was about 118 pounds. Dogs that big have a tendency to break shit without being aggressive in the least. A buddy of mine had a Rottweiler that was in the back yard of a cheap tract house. Another dog was loose in the street. The Rott wanted to play with it, and knocked down part of a block wall, got out, and when my buddy investigated the noise, the two dogs were happily playing in the street.
I took my dog door out because i was replacing it with a new/better/bigger dog door (this took no more than five minutes). My dog didn't realize I was doing this and ran right through my sliding glass door.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#29]
sure you can... but using its mouth on you is not acceptable at all
rough house with our dogs all the time, at no point do teeth touch me

its kind of a learned behavior
they learn to smash you with their body or hit you with the side of their face or nose

but no teeth!

substitute a toy for your hand
teach to them to play tug or fetch or keep away
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  I stopped doing it with my boxer for this reason.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:40:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

That and he thinks he is my son... loyal to a fault
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I wrestled my Rott all the time, but I always ended the wrestling with him on the floor on his back.  He weighed 200 pounds.

He was the greatest sweetest, most kid friendly dog I have ever owned.  Probably the main reason I haven't gotten another dog is because I am still not over his death.  He died in 2002.

Whenever we would go to the swimming beach, he would only allow toddlers to go in the water waist deep.  He would get between them and the deeper water and move back and forth, always keeping them in the shallow side.

He would let kids climb all over him, pull his ears, beat on him, it never mattered.

He loved getting buried in the sand.  He would lay down and kids would bury him.  One he was covered he would stand up, move a few feet and lay down again.

Damn I miss that dog.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#33]
i don't know the book rules, but i wrestle with my brother's dog (staffordshire) a bunch.  i pay attention to her demeanor, and if she crosses the line i'll flip and pin her, along with giving her a kind of 'startle' vocal tone.  she's smart and stubborn, but i think the tone of voice is what does it--she knows exactly when she has gone too far, and goes limp almost immediately.  and i never let her win--she has to drop whatever she's holding, or get up and go to her bed.

i don't know if this is right or wrong, but we get along well and she minds.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I wrestled my Rott all the time, but I always ended the wrestling with him on the floor on his back.  He weighed 200 pounds.

He was the greatest sweetest, most kid friendly dog I have ever owned.  Probably the main reason I haven't gotten another dog is because I am still not over his death.  He died in 2002.

Whenever we would go to the swimming beach, he would only allow toddlers to go in the water waist deep.  He would get between them and the deeper water and move back and forth, always keeping them in the shallow side.

He would let kids climb all over him, pull his ears, beat on him, it never mattered.

He loved getting buried in the sand.  He would lay down and kids would bury him.  One he was covered he would stand up, move a few feet and lay down again.

Damn I miss that dog.
View Quote

200 pounds ????

Holy shit.

That is more than 14 stone
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#35]
We battle every day, but everyone knows its just for fun.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Dogs, even big ones, suck at wrestling.
They can bite and claw, but they can't grip with their paws.
Don't body slam your dog, or do joint locks on his legs.
No choke holds either!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#37]
My GSD gave me a bloody nose the other day play wrestling...

little bastard.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Damn I miss that dog.
View Quote

Wow. Sounds like my old Rott. I had her for 13 years, like losing a brother.

I know Rotts are gentle kind souls at heart so I'm not real worried.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

This!

I have 2 huge dogs. A Great Dane and a Mastiff.

They love to play fight and wrestle. They know that if has to be started and finished by ME.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Never wrestled with our Rottie, but my 19 lb cat can kick my ass.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

200 pounds ????

Holy shit.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn I miss that dog.

200 pounds ????

Holy shit.

No shit. Dog is literally bigger then me. 184# this am.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#42]
My chocolate lab loves it and knows we are playing (nibbling, no biting).  A stern "no more" ends it
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Maybe "wrestling" wasn't the right term, but I definitely roughhoused our lab. I'd slap him around and pull on his ears and tail, and he'd growl, nip at me, and pounce on me. Sometimes even when he's laying on my lap on the couch. As soon as I stopped, he stopped, he was perfectly content to not be an alpha dog and never challenged anyone.

We finally lost him last year. He had all kinds of joint problems, heart problems, and bladder control problems for his final couple years.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#44]
No.  If anything, I've used it as an opportunity to teach no biting.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#45]

My dog (85 lb GSD mix) and I will play fight. However, I'm the only one in the family she will fight with.

Even if my wife or sons give her the command, she won't touch them.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#46]
I've always wrestled with my pups and never had any disciplinary issues arise from it.  I don't let them bite, they will put their mouth on you but won't apply any pressure. Just make sure that you always stay in control of the situation and occasionally assert dominance in the form of lightly pinning them on their back until they calm down.  In my mind it all boils down to a pack mentality.  Animals in a pack play together but they still understand who is in charge.

I never play tug of war with my dogs though.  IF you do, make sure it always ends with you 'winning'.

ETA: context - 70lb male Springer Spaniel and 75lb female Golden

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#47]
My 80lbs Pit loves it. I'll push him to the side, and he comes back pushing me with his chest tail wagging a mile a minute. Then I'll push him harder the other way, same result. Then I'll start throwing his weight and then take him down, sometimes I'll pin him. He loves every min of it play crying and wagging his tail. It actually makes his night, he will be happy as hell the rest of the night.

I also used to tug-a-war with him to the point where I could start to spin and spin him around on the end of the rope.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#48]
My Rottweiler and I used to play pretty hard.

The only downside is playing hard without basic discipline.  What I mean is when you say  'Stop', 'Stoop', 'Arresto'

or whatever word in the language you train him, he needs to stop.

The reason is that when you have people over if they start playing with your dog he'll think they will take it to the same level you do.

So as long as he understands the word to stop, playing and roughhousing are fun.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Dogs "play wrestle" all the time with each other, and it's a game.
The games have rules though, and if you watch, each will take turns being dominant in the game, and the game lasts until they disagree, and it escalates to a point one will declare it over.
It's play, but even play has meaning to Dogs. When they are Pups, it's how they sort out the Alpha in the litter and learn to moderate Bite force.

With a Dominant pooch, and working dogs, it's NOT smart, to put yourself in the position of escalating things, and the Dog not backing down.
Correcting a large breed or working dog, that has not learned bite force moderation in play, or worse, learned it can escalate through bite force on humans when playing, is damn hard, and can lead to bigger problems, especially with kids around.

Rough housing is fine IMO, as noted above though, as soon as the pooch applies anything but the lightest pressure, the Command "No", Stopping the play with a control command like "Sit",and walking away has to be practiced consistently.

Some breeds like Goldens, and other soft mouth Hunting breeds get it real early, others that are "Mouthy" Like Mals and Dutchies, may never catch on, and it's not smart to even start going down that road with them.
Have had bones in the hand busted by a poorly socialized Mal Juvenile, that initiated play, by walking up, clamping down on a hand and pulling....they are a fur covered Arbor press.
It took Months to teach him bite force moderation, and eventually not to use the teeth on family. It involved LOTS of bandaids, and several stitches before it was over.

IOW. TLDR..

It depends on the dog, Breed, and conditions.
With little kids around, it's gonna happen anyway, so teaching the pooch limited contact only, is smart.
Dogs consider little kids as subordinate, unless they are conditioned otherwise, and that is never good.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I miss wrestling my girl.  Sometimes you have to let them win.

<a href="http://s37.photobucket.com/user/jfg_4/media/hershey_kisses/9-22-07/IMG_15.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e72/jfg_4/hershey_kisses/9-22-07/IMG_15.jpg</a>
View Quote

Lab and Border Collie mix?
Beautiful girl.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top