Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a breadbox, so no, it does not belong in the fridge.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Butter goes on the butter dish on the counter. Bread goes in the bread drawer in the cabinet. We eat 6 loaves every two weeks. It's consumed before it can go bad. We don't even refrigerate our eggs. They go strait from the laying boxes, to a bowl on the counter, to being washed and eaten within two or three days.

The refrigerator is for meat and cheese.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#3]

I keep mine in the refrigerator.

I'm single and a loaf of bread (I make my own) lasts me at least two weeks (usually three), it would go moldy if I left it out.

I keep my butter in a butter bell on the counter to keep it soft, if I left it out on a butter dish it would also go rancid.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I buy two loaves at a time at BJ's, one gets frozen, other goes in the fridge.  Sometimes I have to microwave the bread for 7-8 seconds then it's soft like was fresh
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dough from Deadwood?  How did you manage to acquire that?  Your gggf got the mother dough?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate to be that guy, but I bake bread with a sourdough culture dating back to 19th century Deadwood.

Sourdough, besides being awesome for biscuits, banana nut bread, pizza crust, pancakes, etc, when used to bake bread naturally inhibits mold. So I don't have to eat shitty overly sweet store bough bread, plus it goes forever before the bread goes bad. Those old timers were on to something.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff255/crossedsabres/Mobile%20Uploads/C755FA68-F65C-4335-8CEB-9C43659BA1C3_zpsthofsm2t.jpg

Dough from Deadwood?  How did you manage to acquire that?  Your gggf got the mother dough?
Spent a lot of time north of Deadwood, nearest town was called Isabel. But no, not from a family connection, from this guy on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTHENTIC-Black-Hills-Sourdough-Starter-140-Year-Old-History-/121380152358?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c42d22426

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#6]
When I get bread I put it in the fridge to try to preserve it for longer.

When I get it... I eat maybe 2 slices a week... so one loaf needs to last 3-4 months... even in the fridge they never last as long as I need them to and end up going to waste... so I don't generally get bread.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When I get bread I put it in the fridge to try to preserve it for longer.

When I get it... I eat maybe 2 slices a week... so one loaf needs to last 3-4 months... even in the fridge they never last as long as I need them to and end up going to waste... so I don't generally get bread.
View Quote

Dude, fuck kinda bread do you eat?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:21:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
WTF?
The butter goes in the fridge.

ETA: See post above.
View Quote

Only for long term storage. You should have a room temperature stick on the counter at all times.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Only for long term storage. You should have a room temperature stick on the counter at all times.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF?
The butter goes in the fridge.

ETA: See post above.

Correct. We keep a few pounds of butter on hand. But there must at all times be a stick at room temp.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I have 4 strapping young boys.  A loaf of bread rarely lasts a day. No need for the fridge.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top