Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 4/18/2015 9:35:40 PM EDT
So I had an early morning that I wasn't expecting today. I live in a nice townhome development in a suburban downtown area, but it is surrounded by petty much shit. This morning at around 2:30 I woke up from some really loud women lingering on the sidewalk outside. Couple minutes after waking up I hear 5 or 6 rapid gunshots, I get up to look outside and can't see anything. I get back in bed and hear what sounds like a real faint yell of "please help", but think I'm just hearing things. I keep laying in bed and fall back to sleep.

Now fast forward to about 4:30 where my wife and I are woke up from excessive rings of the doorbell and extreme banging on the front door. My first thought is this is someone trying to see if anyone is home and if not the door is getting kicked in. I jump out of bed, grab a pistol and head down to our 2nd level. I look down to the street below and see three cops outside. I set the gun down and proceed to answer the door. The officer says "sorry to bother you, but we've had an incident over here and need to know if you saw or heard anything". My first response was yeah I had heard the gun shots earlier, I answer some questions and they leave without telling me what happened. Well by the time it started to get light out I could see the area roped off, and by about 8:00 I watched the coroner show up and then pull the guy out from the river bank. Across from our place is a large park and a river on the other side. This happened no more than 200 yards from our front door.

Not really the way I expected to start my day. Today was my little girls 2nd birthday party and we had about 30 people here just a few hours later. The party was good and she had a great time, but sure was an interesting morning.

Updating for the visual people here. Sorry it isn't MS Paint.

This is for the people who need images to show that this wasn't outside my front door.

This one is zoomed in from my rooftop. As you can see there is a lot of space between the two site, and a lot of possibilities for where shots might have come from.

And this is really zoomed in through my window.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Time to move
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Time to move
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Past Time to move
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:41:34 PM EDT
[#4]
So, you heard gunshots and someone crying for help at 2:30 int the morning, and went back to sleep?

CSB.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#5]
We have a lease until early next year and won't be staying once it is up. We have our 2nd on the way so space is more the reason we'll be moving , but this adds to the reasons to go.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Chicago?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So, you heard gunshots and someone crying for help at 2:30 int the morning, and went back to sleep?

CSB.
View Quote

I was half asleep and said I thought I heard it, but wasn't sure. I have my own family to worry about, don't need to get involved in some trash on trash violence.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Call Rahm, he'll take care of it.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Chicago?
View Quote

40 minutes west.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#10]
We shoot geese across the street from my house.  

Id be movin...
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#11]
and the band played on..
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#12]
FPNI.
When a guy named Ghetto, tells you to move, you listen.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#13]
The last time I lived in a town it was in a very high end area ....... 2 fuckin cops put 8 in a guy they pulled over on the street right behind my house .... he had the balls to pull his cell phone on them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I was half asleep and said I thought I heard it, but wasn't sure. I have my own family to worry about, don't need to get involved in some trash on trash violence.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CSB.

So you know they were "trash"? A phone call, like to 911, wouldn't have caused you anymore grief than what happened @ 4:30. Even if they catch someone, you have the same likelihood of having to testify, from what you already said. Maybe an ambulance could have helped.

But, that's up to you, obviously.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So you know they were "trash"? A phone call, like to 911, wouldn't have caused you anymore grief than what happened @ 4:30. Even if they catch someone, you have the same likelihood of having to testify, from what you already said. Maybe an ambulance could have helped.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CSB.

Know how I know you don't live in the ghetto?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

FPNI.

When a guy named Ghetto, tells you to move, you listen.
View Quote
Good pro tip.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CSB.

The guy was found ten minutes after I had heard the shots. At 2:30 in the morning around here it isn't some upstanding citizen getting shot. Also, after they released the guy's name a quick Google search showed he was arrested before for assaulting a cop. Sorry if this sounds bad, but I really don't care to involve myself with these kinds of people at 2:30 in the morning.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Get away from there when you can.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#19]
... I'm of the opinion that you should have acted earlier
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#20]
so it's normal to here gun shots in early morning and not call 911........nice place to live
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:07:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Time to move
View Quote

I thought that as soon as I saw his location was IL.  Didn't even read the post.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Fuck that , op did the absolute right thing, and hopefully he can move FAR the fuck away.
Are they any areas in Shitcago, that dont suck?

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CSB.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

so it's normal to here gun shots in early morning and not call 911........nice place to live
View Quote
When I stayed down town, it was so regular that you just ignored it unless you heard a zip or pop.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

40 minutes west.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chicago?

40 minutes west.

Romeoville?

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Romeoville?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chicago?

40 minutes west.

Romeoville?

Elgin
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

CSB.
View Quote

That was my favorite part of the story. OP is a boss.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

40 minutes west.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chicago?

40 minutes west.

It's spreading
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#28]
So you could have saved someones life and you let them die in the water?

You're a great person, hopefully nothing like that ever happens to anyone you care about and they are left to die because someone is tired.

I guess since everyone in your area is trash like you said though, I am not surprised.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#29]
If your going back to sleep after 6 shots and someone crying for help at 0 dark 30...its time to move.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

CSB.
View Quote

No shit!!!!

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You're a great person, hopefully nothing like that ever happens to anyone you care about and they are left to die because someone is tired.

I guess since everyone in your area is trash like you said though, I am not surprised.
View Quote

Are you fucking serious? I didn't shoot anyone last night so I didn't let anyone fucking die. It isn't my job to play police dispatch. I hope if this ever happens by you you'll run right out and save the day.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh come on now, he dindu nuffin
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Should have called OP. We get many calls from anonymous callers that say "just heard 6-7 shots in area of xxx"

They get no more involved. the calls still get us on the area and looking.  Call takes 10 seconds.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Sorry about that.  I'll try to be more quiet next time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I am perfectly good with this.
You and yours. 1*
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CSB.

The guy was found ten minutes after I had heard the shots. At 2:30 in the morning around here it isn't some upstanding citizen getting shot. Also, after they released the guy's name a quick Google search showed he was arrested before for assaulting a cop. Sorry if this sounds bad, but I really don't care to involve myself with these kinds of people at 2:30 in the morning.

I am perfectly good with this.
You and yours. 1*

Agreed.  Talk to any cop who works the night shift.   The only people out on the streets at that hour are shift workers/nurses and then there are drunks, dirt bags, or others who are up to no good of some sort.  

Takes about 2 seconds to figure out which one is which.

Probably not a good thing for a non-LEO to get involved in at that time of night.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?
I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and
I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have
over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the
top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just
another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes
of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking
words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the
Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret
network of spies across the USA and your IP is
being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The
storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life.
You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you
in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not
only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to
the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it
to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the
continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy
retribution your little "clever” comment was about to bring down upon
you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t,
you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will
shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead,
kiddo.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:34:47 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't think OP should have gone outside or done anything to intervene personally, but by NOT GETTING THE FUCK UP he failed his family due to his lack of situational awareness. You hear 6-7 shots and cries for help 200 yards from your house and go back to sleep? Da fuk?!!! An anonymous call isn't that big of a deal either, and I would have at least done that. The real mind fucker here is that you WENT BACK TO SLEEP!

Family IS your first priority.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#39]
hear what sounds like a real faint yell of "please help"

Karma can be a bitch
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:49:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Are you fucking serious? I didn't shoot anyone last night so I didn't let anyone fucking die. It isn't my job to play police dispatch. I hope if this ever happens by you you'll run right out and save the day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was probably just an aspiring rapper OP, I wouldn't lose sleep over it....
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:59:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
suburban downtown area
View Quote

Does not compute.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Time to move
View Quote

No shit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

CSB.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.  

Wow, I thought you were a carpenter.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:05:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

CSB.
View Quote

LoL, yeah, that part was pretty funny.    

But when you live in the jungle, you learn to ignore the ambient noise.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Elgin? I don't hear good things about it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:11:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Just bin case you have not noticed you should move .
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:13:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

40 minutes west.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chicago?

40 minutes west.

Aurora?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top