Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#1]
This place is awesome.  I appreciate your effort to keep it that way.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I remember the Aim4MyHead incident, where members of this site opened their wallets to a member that lost everything in a hurricane. The previous year, he lost his wife and son to a drunk driver.

Found out nearly 5 years later it was a scam. Never had wife and kids, and did not lose anything in the hurricane . That was long ago, however. beekeeper will remember, I believe he pitched in for this one as well.

I'm glad there are some ground rules out now, Striker. Hopefully nothing like the A4MH incident ever occurs again. You've done a fantastic job vetting all these requests and fundraisers. You truly have the trust of the membership. If Striker says it's ok, it's ok by us.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
thank you folks...
I will reiterate..to the best of my knowledge no one here has ever been taken in a fund raiser..
If they did..I was never made aware of it.

I remember the Aim4MyHead incident, where members of this site opened their wallets to a member that lost everything in a hurricane. The previous year, he lost his wife and son to a drunk driver.

Found out nearly 5 years later it was a scam. Never had wife and kids, and did not lose anything in the hurricane . That was long ago, however. beekeeper will remember, I believe he pitched in for this one as well.

I'm glad there are some ground rules out now, Striker. Hopefully nothing like the A4MH incident ever occurs again. You've done a fantastic job vetting all these requests and fundraisers. You truly have the trust of the membership. If Striker says it's ok, it's ok by us.

I was in on that. Never heard it was a scam.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Good job so far.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know if I had anything to do with this, and I hope I didn't break any rules, but this is much better and this community is really something special.  This will go a long way to help a lot of people and really show that we are more than just a bunch of people who associate because of a common interest, we, for whatever reason, are a group of people that values life and is willing to act to see the lives of the people we value be as happy and fulfilling as possible.

In for the next arfcom rescue.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:39:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:58:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
unfortunately fund raisers for animals won't be approved unless it is a service dog for a member.. I receive a fair amount of requests for animals and it's hard to approve one when I had to deny a fund raiser for the friend or coworker of a member.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does this apply to efforts to raise funds for special dog rescues such as the pair of dogs rescued where one (Artax) had to have a leg amputated?

Money was raised via a GoFundMe account.

unfortunately fund raisers for animals won't be approved unless it is a service dog for a member.. I receive a fair amount of requests for animals and it's hard to approve one when I had to deny a fund raiser for the friend or coworker of a member.

How does this effect the Semper Fi dog rescue that at least 3 Life Members are involved with?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:01:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:13:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It won't..that is an active fund raiser.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does this apply to efforts to raise funds for special dog rescues such as the pair of dogs rescued where one (Artax) had to have a leg amputated?

How does this effect the Semper Fi dog rescue that at least 3 Life Members are involved with?
It won't..that is an active fund raiser.

Thank you
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:32:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I came back to say that I am thankful to be a tiny part of this community. The generosity of the people here and the hard work of people like you make this a wonderful place. Thanks.

Jim
View Quote

+1. The FatalWishes thread was a big reason why I stopped lurking and signed up as a member. This really is a great site and thank you Striker and AR15.Com.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:37:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Especially given the events of the past week, I would avoid using wording referring to "EE" guidelines and instead change it to state exactly what will/could happen.

Since you mentioned it, I'm going to go find the photos from the flagpole mission

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:55:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Striker, thank you for all you have done, are doing, and will do for the members of this site. I still get choked up thinking of Jeff and his young family. I have the utmost respect and admiration for the descisions you make here.

Your guidelines sound perfect.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:08:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd vote a year and a minimum post count as well.  

No matter what the rules , ive always been impressed with the level of generosity that's regularly on display here.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:23:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

ETA..and I understand that people consider their pets as family members..

I had to have my boxer put down 2 days ago..she was 9 years old and my constant companion. Treating animals is extremely expensive and when you have to decide between letting go or spending money you don't have to try and save them..it is one of the hardest decisions a person will ever have to make.

This brings me back to why I decided it was time to establish the guidelines.

The reason for any fund raiser is extremely personal to the people involved..and it takes a lot for some people to open up and ask for help..for them to  share their story..

Some requests have made me cry..

By establishing the guidelines, rules..people won't (hopefully) get their hopes up because hearing no must be far more difficult then saying it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA..and I understand that people consider their pets as family members..

I had to have my boxer put down 2 days ago..she was 9 years old and my constant companion. Treating animals is extremely expensive and when you have to decide between letting go or spending money you don't have to try and save them..it is one of the hardest decisions a person will ever have to make.

This brings me back to why I decided it was time to establish the guidelines.

The reason for any fund raiser is extremely personal to the people involved..and it takes a lot for some people to open up and ask for help..for them to  share their story..

Some requests have made me cry..

By establishing the guidelines, rules..people won't (hopefully) get their hopes up because hearing no must be far more difficult then saying it.

No more fundraisers for animals - unless it's a service dog?

I would encourage you to reconsider going to that extent.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:55:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Thank you for taking the time to handle the fundraisers, and to keep them going. Without your efforts it is possible there wouldn't be the option to even have them.  
If there is ever a scam and I am taken, I would be pissed but not at you or the site or ever consider holding either responsible.  You shouldn't feel guilty either as the good that has been done, far outweighs any negatives that could happen.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:08:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

That looks more than fair.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:11:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

thank you folks...

I will reiterate..to the best of my knowledge no one here has ever been taken in a fund raiser..

Damn

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:48:53 AM EDT
[#19]
With the limit on 2 fundraisers or a set amount of cash, how will this affect our donating ability to NOLO? Especially if this may take years and multiple appeals before it reaches the supreme court? This is a pro 2A sight after all.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:16:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That looks more than fair.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:28:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I forgot about that..and it pains me to admit that he and I became pretty good friends during his time after the fund raiser..he was supposedly a cop..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
thank you folks...

I forgot about that..and it pains me to admit that he and I became pretty good friends during his time after the fund raiser..he was supposedly a cop..

There was also one involving some supposedly female member...Girl_Interrupted I think?  Pretty sure that one was a scam.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:49:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay......I completely understand this is frustrating for staff, but CAN WE PLEASE HAVE A SUB FORUM for dog rescue????

I'll spend my money there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'd vote a year and a minimum post count as well.  

No matter what the rules , ive always been impressed with the level of generosity that's regularly on display here.
View Quote

Minimum post count?  I have had some great interactions with guys who have 2001 join dates and very low post counts.  

I woudl really like it if the join date thing just disappeared.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Everything looks pretty reasonable to me!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top