BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Posted: 4/18/2015 11:49:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#1]
It's popularity is based on nostalgia and a lack of understanding of modern rifles. In my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Very interesting.  Thank you for posting it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very interesting.  Thank you for posting it.
View Quote

My pleasure.

Having been issued this rifle twice in combat im glad there is somebody out there that shares my contempt for it and expresses that on a public forum.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Whatever, I still want one.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#7]

I really, really wanted one till I shot one. Then I was glad my buddy paid $2k for that instead of me.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have one.  Still dont like it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#9]
there are many vastly superior options for a .308 autorifle, they just aren't nearly as good looking.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you people can help eachother.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I can't wait until someone posts a link about how shitty the m16 was in its first few years of service

Or the m1....
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Want one since I used one in the Navy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can't wait until someone posts a link about how shitty the m16 was in its first few years of service
View Quote

ah, but the M14 STILL sucks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I met Lt Col. Chandler when he had his shop off Piney Green Rd.  He ran (or owned?) BCM when Freedom Group was expanding the AR line.

He has a really bad reputation around there.  The sniper community doesn't think much of him, or his DARPA funded XM3 rifle.

I don't have anything against the man, but his opinion of the M14 doesn't jive with anyone I've met in person that's actually been issued one.  The only critics I've heard have been on the errornet.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Or the m1....
View Quote

Oh it's on its way here.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its inevitable.  Followed by posts from 30 Vietnam vets that all opted to carry the M14 over the M16 after seeing their entire unit massacred with cleaning rods in the barrels.   When they all weren't carrying Ithaca 37's of course.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Odd, this conflicts with an email I got forwarded a few years ago from a Marine in Iraq telling me about how M14s were being reissued en masse to combat troops.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Very cool article, OP.  Thanks for posting.

I have a preban Springfield.  It's awful pretty to look at.

I sometimes wonder what it is like to shoot it.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Didn't the M1a rule High Power competition for a long while?  Maybe the aftermarket parts made it better?  Doesn't the military use the M14 as a DMR rifle to this day?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Lies, lies propaganda--all lies
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Didn't the M1a rule High Power competition for a long while?  Maybe the aftermarket parts made it better?  Doesn't the military use the M14 as a DMR rifle to this day?
View Quote

read the article.

it's used as the service rifle in high power.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:07:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are plenty of better options out there than an M14 EBR
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're damn right!

After countless hours of standing watch with said rifle strapped to my back I can think of no other rifle worthy of that use.

Sadly, I no longer stand watch through all hours of the night. I do however often see used M1A1's and SOCOM's up for sale at the LGS as used...

Still too far out of my price range
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

they aren't garands...they're garand inspired. like a cover band.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:07:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
Its a troll thread...this is GD after all...

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
there are many vastly superior options for a .308 autorifle, they just aren't nearly as good looking.
View Quote

Don't know if I agree with that. The retro AR10 to me is one of the coolest looking rifles ever.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#31]
There are better 7.62 mm platforms.  Ask the AMU what they think of the M-14.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Odd, this conflicts with an email I got forwarded a few years ago from a Marine in Iraq telling me about how M14s were being reissued en masse to combat troops.
View Quote

En masse? Like whole companies being issued M14s?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I met Lt Col. Chandler when he had his shop off Piney Green Rd.  He ran (or owned?) BCM when Freedom Group was expanding the AR line.

He has a really bad reputation around there.  The sniper community doesn't think much of him, or his DARPA funded XM3 rifle.

I don't have anything against the man, but his opinion of the M14 doesn't jive with anyone I've met in person that's actually been issued one.  The only critics I've heard have been on the errornet.
View Quote

It jives with me, and I was issued it twice, although to be fair the first time I dumped it ASAP, and the second time I kept it locked in an iSU only to see daylight to read serial numbers once in a while.

That also seems to be the Marine. Corps position on it, as they tried to create a DMR out of it and scrapped the whole thing.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#34]
I own one. It's fun to shoot for nostalgia and because it's American. As a Saturday afternoon iron sights steel-ringer, it works. We had a bunch of them that had been fitted with Leupold scopes and the Sage chassis. They worked well too, and our marksmen schwacked a dudes with them fairly regularly.

That being said, unless you're getting one for shooting with iron sights, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's a poor choice today. There's a reason marksmen got the M14 and snipers got the M24, M110, or M2010.

I dunno, I guess my personal opinion is worth what you paid for it - the gun's not relevant anymore today, but it's pretty obvious that the pendulum has swung the other way with that article. In retaliation for all the "wood and steel" chest thumpers, the author tries to vilify the M14. The truth is probably somewhere in between.

Edit:
We plussed up on EBRs when we were doing patrol bases in them thar hills, as it gave us a little extra standoff. Although to be fair the M4 with an ACOG was no slouch. I personally witnessed an LT shoot a dude at 800m trying to walk his sniper on target. It took him a magazine, but he did it!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:12:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I got a little bit of hardon with that technical data package. That would be so cool to have.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Thank you OP. That is one of the best articles on the subject that I have ever read.  

I came to the conclusion years ago, after having to fix a few of the damn things and make them passably accurate, that the ONLY benefit that the M1A/M14 had over the AR-15/M16 was the .308 round. It doesn't even have that anymore and should be consigned to the trash heap of history as a curiosity.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You're damn right!

After countless hours of standing watch with said rifle strapped to my back I can think of no other rifle worthy of that use.

Sadly, I no longer stand watch through all hours of the night. I do however often see used M1A1's and SOCOM's up for sale at the LGS as used...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're damn right!

Is there a reason the navy continued to use the m14? Seems like they could get M-16 of about an flavor for next to nothing
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sold mine to my brother. It's his albatross now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Don't know if I agree with that. The retro AR10 to me is one of the coolest looking rifles ever.

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/14389/14554764_3.jpg?v=8CF9A3B5AD8B9B0
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/14389/14554764_3.jpg?v=8CF9A3B5AD8B9B0

I love the M14, but I absolutely agree with you about the aesthetics of the original AI AR10.

I wish someone would put it back into production, just like it was and not with "improvements".
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not en masse, and not to Marines.

The EBR (like in my picture) was created at great expense and issued as a non-MTOE Substitute for the newly revamped SDM program.  It was also issued as a TPE weapon to units arriving in theater.  After 8-10 years of "use", they still didnt make the cut onto unit MTOEs and now that the GWOT money has dried up so have the M14s.

The EBR was one of the heaviest and most awkward weapons I have ever used.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Sold my M1A to help finance my SCAR 17 and never looked back. Haven't regretted it even a little bit...
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:15:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Only because it was a 30 cal rifle, but as soon as better bullets came along for the .223, it was adios 7.62
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only because it was a 30 cal rifle, but as soon as better bullets came along for the .223, it was adios 7.62

Which was so much more accurate, they've quit using an expander plug to score it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

But darn few of them existed in 1959.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FAL
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Not en masse, and not to Marines.

The EBR (like in my picture) was created at great expense and issued as a non-MTOE Substitute for the newly revamped SDM program.  It was also issued as a TPE weapon to units arriving in theater.  After 8-10 years of "use", they still didnt make the cut onto unit MTOEs and now that the GWOT money has dried up so have the M14s.

The EBR was one of the heaviest and most awkward weapons I have ever used.

Joke, over your heads. You might not have been around for "that one."

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The M14 was the best rifle for World War 2 ever created. Too bad it came out a decade later.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The M14 was the best rifle for World War 2 ever created. Too bad it came out a decade later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#50]
A friend of mine carried an E2 in Vietnam. He still loves the semi M14 versions available.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top