Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#1]
My gf brother has BPD.

He stabbed a guy 2 days ago over a laptop. Nicked a kidney.

I think they are gonna keep him for a LOOOOONG time. This time.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It is different and the difference is easy to spot.  Hormonal imbalance issue would be more like rapid-cycling bipolar or someone with fluctuating thyroid levels. Those things are like a sine-wave. Up to down along a path then back. Borderlines are completely different, emotions/behaviors are more like a scatter plot with rapid jumps from one extreme to another without hitting any points in between.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious question, why is it called "borderline" ?
Sounds to me like all of you guys stories dealing with these people are full blown, borderline means not all the way.

Reading this thread has made me realize how many BPD people I've had either a relationship or worked with, it is either a very common disorder or I've hit the lottery of nutbags in my lifetime.
  1. It is called borderline because it was originally thought that people were on the 'border' of psychosis and neurosis. BPD is also sometimes called Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder (Borderline type).

Psychosis-break from reality. Neurosis-freudian for "strange and irrational but sane" Like ARFCOM GD.  We all have some neurosis I would argue.
Very uncommon.  You are most likely looking at one's behavior in time shot and not in a continuum of function.    

If you read the DSM IV/V without knowing what the fuck you are doing, you will soon realize you are mentally ill.  LOL  The truth is, unless you know what you are looking at, they all look like AR's.

Just to stir the pot, Wouldn't someone with a hormonal imbalance pass as borderline to all but a mental health professional?

It is different and the difference is easy to spot.  Hormonal imbalance issue would be more like rapid-cycling bipolar or someone with fluctuating thyroid levels. Those things are like a sine-wave. Up to down along a path then back. Borderlines are completely different, emotions/behaviors are more like a scatter plot with rapid jumps from one extreme to another without hitting any points in between.

The difference between a malfunctioning brain and a malformed brain.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#3]
It would appear that every ex wife has this, however my ex wife didn't/doesn't have this so I suspect there may be a few others out there.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:37:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

New? Not hardly.  I worked in the state hospital (forensic), crisis (involuntary), outpatient, and regular "voluntary" IP.  What I said is what is recommended and has worked with a few.  Overall though, ignoring them is best IMO.  When they look for attention, I make myself busy and pretend to care when I say "I'm sorry I just can't talk right now".  Or when they finish their story of woes, I quickly reply in a disinterested manner with "that's interesting" as I walk away.  The problem is, some will stop at nothing.  They will bang their head on the wall to get attention and injections, because it's what they want.  They need to be the center of attention and they love 1:1s.  

Tbh, I find manics (ampethamine-induced or natural) to be much more annoying and draining.  Same goes for DD/MR types.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are truly the bane of nearly every mental health professional in the world.  They cannot be managed and are self-destructive in every way imaginable.  Medication has no effect, of course.  They want attention and will do anything to get it, unfortunately, that attention isn't always effective and usually results in more problems.

I'm an RN, and work psych mostly.  You're supposed to set clear boundaries with them, while showing concern and compassion.  Be clear and concise so they aren't overwhelmed.  Unfortunately, this doesn't always work.

Compassion?  No.  You must be new at this.  Textbook knowledge is just that.

They deserve no audience.  At all.  They learn from consequence alone.  Kind of like a nonsocial animal.  Throw a bone only when they behave.  Otherwise, give them nothing except proper direction.  The slightest bit of attention &/or reward not directly associated with positive behavior will be misinterpreted as illicit gain, & they will run with it.

Read "I Hate you, Don't Leave Me".  The title says it all.

New? Not hardly.  I worked in the state hospital (forensic), crisis (involuntary), outpatient, and regular "voluntary" IP.  What I said is what is recommended and has worked with a few.  Overall though, ignoring them is best IMO.  When they look for attention, I make myself busy and pretend to care when I say "I'm sorry I just can't talk right now".  Or when they finish their story of woes, I quickly reply in a disinterested manner with "that's interesting" as I walk away.  The problem is, some will stop at nothing.  They will bang their head on the wall to get attention and injections, because it's what they want.  They need to be the center of attention and they love 1:1s.  

Tbh, I find manics (ampethamine-induced or natural) to be much more annoying and draining.  Same goes for DD/MR types.  

Good boy.

WRT "resource drain", the difference between manic & borderline is the intensity level.  Hyper manics run at redline, while borderlines are lower on the scale, although more persistent.  The real fun is when a borderline is in the same room with another high-maintenance (non-borderline) DO, & feels compelled to "compete" for top-dog attention status.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My gf brother has BPD.

View Quote

So by this logic since I have BPD I am eventually going to attempt to kill someone?  

That dude has more going on than bpd.  Hes fucking insane.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes. A mix of BPD and NPD. Super long story short, you can`t win, or break even, they will not allow it, ever. If you have your heart set on being masochistic, find quicksand, jump in it and escape it everyday. That is what it`s like dealing with these people.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#7]
For those looking for a diagnosis on an internet thread, I'd recommend seeing a doc. I'm not trying to be rude. There just isn't enough information to go on. Anyone can get angry (even Jesus flipped a table over). People can be depressed or anxious for long periods of time for lots of reasons (job sucks, no friends, married the wrong person, etc.) and it doesn't mean they have a problem. Genetics seem to play a part according to the data but so does upbringing. It seems more likely that there are genetic predispositions but that there needs to be a sustained environmental context that triggers and then helps to mold the cognitions. Said differently, if you have a kid with someone with a mental disorder then get them out of that situation, if possible, then be the best damn parent you can be. I got lucky, my mom is an angle (at least she was to me when I was a kid). It is kind of on you now. You married a person with a problem, knowingly or unknowingly, and now it is time to man-up. Blaming the problems on the kid (if there are any) or kid's genetics doesn't do much. Kind of like when an alcoholic says they cannot stop drinking because it is genetic and no matter what they try they will always be an alcoholic.

For all those who are saying that there is no change, I don't totally agree but the chances of change are very small. The meds work (to some extent) and the people have to be willing to change (but even then it is just about a crap shoot). Beck's work is really good but one of the things he really fails to describe well is the fact that the biases in reasoning he describes are not explicit. People don't realize they are using biased logic. It is applied automatically and outside of conscious awareness. And for those of you dealing with these people, no, they really cannot see what they are doing is wrong (at least not in the situation, and maybe never). Most of what they are doing is ego protective. They are engaging in substantial defensive behaviors in order to protect their own self-esteem and self-views that they are actually good and well socialized people (like: I had to attack that person because they were about to attack me. If I hadn't defended myself I would have been harmed. -- places the blame on other individual, who was likely not about to attack, and let's the person think they were making good choices).  

When someone does finally realize that it might be them and not everyone else, then you've got a chance. At least for as long as they are are willing to work on it. But the biases in reasoning have been developed though years of applying them and generally have plenty of supporting data (as far as the individual is concerned). They have to work to not engage in those automatic processes and catch themselves using those automatic processes and then try to back out. Imagine if we swapped the gas and brake pedals in your car. You could probably eventually relearn which was which, but it would be difficult and you'd still occasionally mess up. But the worst would be in emergency situations when you needed to slam the brakes. That's the kind of thing we're dealing with. In highly evocative, stress inducing, emotionally laden situations that require quick processing they just can't react to their natural reactions to try to stop them via conscious processing in time. So they apply the same old shit.

I'm glad I don't work in a clinical setting where we were trying to change these things. I'd likely get so depressed from the lack of progress I'd probably end up on the other side.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

For those looking for a diagnosis on an internet thread, I'd recommend seeing a doc. I'm not trying to be rude. There just isn't enough information to go on. Anyone can get angry (even Jesus flipped a table over). People can be depressed or anxious for long periods of time for lots of reasons (job sucks, no friends, married the wrong person, etc.) and it doesn't mean they have a problem. 1. Genetics seem to play a part according to the data but so does upbringing. It seems more likely that there are genetic predispositions but that there needs to be a sustained environmental context that triggers and then helps to mold the cognitions. Said differently, if you have a kid with someone with a mental disorder then get them out of that situation, if possible, then be the best damn parent you can be. I got lucky, my mom is an angle (at least she was to me when I was a kid). It is kind of on you now. You married a person with a problem, knowingly or unknowingly, and now it is time to man-up. Blaming the problems on the kid (if there are any) or kid's genetics doesn't do much. Kind of like when an alcoholic says they cannot stop drinking because it is genetic and no matter what they try they will always be an alcoholic.

For all those who are saying that there is no change, 2. I don't totally agree but the chances of change are very small. The meds work (to some extent) and the people have to be willing to change (but even then it is just about a crap shoot). Beck's work is really good but one of the things he really fails to describe well is the fact that the biases in reasoning he describes are not explicit. People don't realize they are using biased logic. It is applied automatically and outside of conscious awareness. And for those of you dealing with these people, no, they really cannot see what they are doing is wrong (at least not in the situation, and maybe never). Most of what they are doing is ego protective. They are engaging in substantial defensive behaviors in order to protect their own self-esteem and self-views that they are actually good and well socialized people (like: I had to attack that person because they were about to attack me. If I hadn't defended myself I would have been harmed. -- places the blame on other individual, who was likely not about to attack, and let's the person think they were making good choices).  

When someone does finally realize that it might be them and not everyone else, then you've got a chance. At least for as long as they are are willing to work on it. But the biases in reasoning have been developed though years of applying them and generally have plenty of supporting data (as far as the individual is concerned). They have to work to not engage in those automatic processes and catch themselves using those automatic processes and then try to back out. Imagine if we swapped the gas and brake pedals in your car. You could probably eventually relearn which was which, but it would be difficult and you'd still occasionally mess up. But the worst would be in emergency situations when you needed to slam the brakes. That's the kind of thing we're dealing with. In highly evocative, stress inducing, emotionally laden situations that require quick processing they just can't react to their 3. natural reactions to try to stop them via conscious processing in time. So they apply the same old shit.

I'm glad I don't work in a clinical setting where we were trying to change these things. I'd likely get so depressed from the lack of progress I'd probably end up on the other side.
View Quote
Good points.  

1. IF Genetic are a factor-I believe that no one has yet documented spontaneously genetic changes , I mean due to adaptation as a result of trauma.  I believe this is what has happened in the brain.

2. properly stated.  The issue is "can the changed behaviors be generalized".  Most will say it is POSSIBLE with BPD but most do not get the right treatment.

3. this is why I have very little hope for healing or even adapted learned behaviors.  It is DEEP in the brain, I would say beyond PRE LINGUAL when the brain had to SORT emotional information into the schematic of the child.  If I handed an 18 month old baby a calculator ,the baby will have no idea what to do with it and SORT the new information as a toy rather than a tool.  Simplified of course. Any break from what the baby already knows is illogical and MUST be discarded to protect itself from mental anguish. I am reminded of the Nope, Nope, Nope.gif

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
<snip>
View Quote

The frustration level is astounding. It is worse when they slide to the anti-social side because the MR or psychotic patients need more attention sometimes. The BPD patients can get downright evil towards the others and it is hard to remain compassionate with them because they aren't cognitively limited or psychotic so your logical brain thinks they should understand these needs. The BPD patients can also "snap" and get pretty violent in these situations.

Our units swing to situations where we have a predominance of certain illnesses at any one time (mostly schizophrenia/schizoaffective, mostly manic, etc). The worst swings are when we have mostly BPD patients. It is draining. We have more injuries (not just from assaults, but all kinds), more resignations, more med errors, etc. It takes its toll on the units.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The frustration level is astounding. It is worse when they slide to the anti-social side because the MR or psychotic patients need more attention sometimes. The BPD patients can get downright evil towards the others and it is hard to remain compassionate with them because they aren't cognitively limited or psychotic so your logical brain thinks they should understand these needs. The BPD patients can also "snap" and get pretty violent in these situations.

Our units swing to situations where we have a predominance of certain illnesses at any one time (mostly schizophrenia/schizoaffective, mostly manic, etc). The worst swings are when we have mostly BPD patients. It is draining. We have more injuries (not just from assaults, but all kinds), more resignations, more med errors, etc. It takes its toll on the units.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

I am not violent in the least.  I was towards myself but not towards others.  Are you making the accusation all witg bpd are violent in nature?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I am not violent in the least.  I was towards myself but not towards others.  Are you making the accusation all witg bpd are violent in nature?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

I didn't get that from his post. BPDs can vent inward or outward or be physically harmless. BPDs are people so no 2 are the same. They just share certain behavior patterns.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nope, sorry I just had to eject.  Was a horrible experience.
View Quote

This.  Dated one girl who turned out to have this.  Well it explained why she acted the way she did.  Only truly crazy girl I ever dated.  She is doing better now from what I know, but no way I would put myself through that again.  Medicine and counseling seemed to help her OP, but she still has issues.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Absolutely not! Some, however, will get so frustrated at lack of attention that they will lash outward instead of inward. There are instances where psychotic features will emerge too. Certainly not everyone suffering from BPD, but it does happen.

There are a lot of different flavors of borderline. From the kid that grew up being raped, to the person raised by sociopaths, to some that have just suffered from repeated deaths in the family, abandonments, etc. Everyone is different and everyone's expression of a given illness (be it physical or mental) is different.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So by this logic since I have BPD I am eventually going to attempt to kill someone?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My gf brother has BPD.

No offense meant.

You are correct, he is a drug user as well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I didn't get that from his post. BPDs can vent inward or outward or be physically harmless. BPDs are people so no 2 are the same. They just share certain behavior patterns.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

You have to understand that there are "types" and degrees of personality disorders. The recent breakdown of personality disorders into clusters of traits does make some sense. Some people fit the bill of the old "borderline personality disorder" diagnosis to a T. Others only have some traits, maybe only barely. Others still might have some traits of histrionics, some of anti-socials, some of borderline, and even some from other clusters.

At their core, the "personality disorders" are mainly defensive mechanisms gone awry and become ingrained. My psych hospital has inpatient childrens units (down to 2.5 years!), adolescent, and adult units. I have literally watched some folks have borderline personalities created. They have spent so much time inpatient from a young age that you can see the traits form and solidify. Other possible underlying (formerly Axis I) mental illnesses can help create, or mold a personality disorder too. Someone with underlying anxiety will form differently than someone with profound depression, etc.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#16]
The counselor (phD) said that my soon to be ex-wife has it and attempted to refer her to a physician.

She refused to go. Things continually got worse.

See first sentence highlighted red portion.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Managed via ejection seat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ex wife.  Things are great as long as you are kowtowing to them, otherwise they are evil.  They are very manipulative and live in a fantasy world where if they want something to be true, then they believe it to be true.

And it cannot be fixed, only managed.

Managed via ejection seat.

This. The only woman I wanted to punch repeatedly in the face. Over and over. She was / is an evil person.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#18]
My SIL. Because of this, I no longer have a relationship with my brother, niece or nephew.  It got to be to much, they have nothing to do with anyone on our side of the family. It's been going on for so long I don't really even think about them that often... until someone brings something like this up.

When I'm asked if I have siblings, I say I have an older sister.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#19]
My mom has it, probably for her entire life. It was horrible dealing with her and her manipulating everyone into thinking she was the victim when she was the abuser. Luckily for me my mom now has severe dementia so that kind of overrides the BPD, I can actually stand being around her now. Best way to deal with them in to not deal with them at all. Wish I would have told her to fuck off many years ago. it has been hell on earth dealing with her especially when I let her live with me for a long time. If it is someone you are not married to run, if you are married to them get a divorce as they never really get better.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Nobody is talking about you personally.  

Nobody.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Nothing in this thread sounds fun.

Guess I have never met one.

Txl
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You have to understand that there are "types" and degrees of personality disorders. The recent breakdown of personality disorders into clusters of traits does make some sense. Some people fit the bill of the old "borderline personality disorder" diagnosis to a T. Others only have some traits, maybe only barely. Others still might have some traits of histrionics, some of anti-socials, some of borderline, and even some from other clusters.

At their core, the "personality disorders" are mainly defensive mechanisms gone awry and become ingrained. My psych hospital has inpatient childrens units (down to 2.5 years!), adolescent, and adult units. I have literally watched some folks have borderline personalities created. They have spent so much time inpatient from a young age that you can see the traits form and solidify. Other possible underlying (formerly Axis I) mental illnesses can help create, or mold a personality disorder too. Someone with underlying anxiety will form differently than someone with profound depression, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They are truly the bane of nearly every mental health professional in the world.  They cannot be managed and are self-destructive in every way imaginable.  Medication has no effect, of course.  They want attention and will do anything to get it, unfortunately, that attention isn't always effective and usually results in more problems.

I'm an RN, and work psych mostly.  You're supposed to set clear boundaries with them, while showing concern and compassion.  Be clear and concise so they aren't overwhelmed.  Unfortunately, this doesn't always work.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Nothing in this thread sounds fun.

Guess I have never met one.

Txl
View Quote

I was just thinking that myself.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I had a mate who had a BPD client with an opioid addiction, epilepsy, red hair and was transitioning from female to male. Now that would have been one wild ride!

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Nobody.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Nobody.

don't believe him..
we are...
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:57:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I had a mate who had a BPD client with an opioid addiction, epilepsy, red hair and was transitioning from female to male. Now that would have been one wild ride!

View Quote

shitttttttttttttttttttt

a trifecta plus 1.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Uh, no.  I used to work in a psych hosp.  There is no "managing" BPDO (except in the case of being in a clinical environment, & being essentially stuck dealing with them).  Manage your own life & not theirs.  Eject.

The most appropriate form of treatment for a BPDO type is isolation.  Ignore them; leave them to themselves.  The consequence of abandonment is the only thing that might possibly resonate in their minds (as if).  When everyone they ever interacted with finally grows sick of their bullshit & walks away, then they might figure why, or move on to other groups of unsuspecting strangers, where they can ensue a wash/rinse/repeat cycle of their modus operandi gaminess.

Seriously - EJECT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ex wife.  Things are great as long as you are kowtowing to them, otherwise they are evil.  They are very manipulative and live in a fantasy world where if they want something to be true, then they believe it to be true.

And it cannot be fixed, only managed.

Uh, no.  I used to work in a psych hosp.  There is no "managing" BPDO (except in the case of being in a clinical environment, & being essentially stuck dealing with them).  Manage your own life & not theirs.  Eject.

The most appropriate form of treatment for a BPDO type is isolation.  Ignore them; leave them to themselves.  The consequence of abandonment is the only thing that might possibly resonate in their minds (as if).  When everyone they ever interacted with finally grows sick of their bullshit & walks away, then they might figure why, or move on to other groups of unsuspecting strangers, where they can ensue a wash/rinse/repeat cycle of their modus operandi gaminess.

Seriously - EJECT.

This.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#29]
To amplify my "this", bpd is a catchall diagnosis for shit we can identify and fix, but can categorize.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just to stir the pot, Wouldn't someone with a hormonal imbalance pass as borderline to all but a mental health professional?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious question, why is it called "borderline" ?
Sounds to me like all of you guys stories dealing with these people are full blown, borderline means not all the way.

Reading this thread has made me realize how many BPD people I've had either a relationship or worked with, it is either a very common disorder or I've hit the lottery of nutbags in my lifetime.
  1. It is called borderline because it was originally thought that people were on the 'border' of psychosis and neurosis. BPD is also sometimes called Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder (Borderline type).

Psychosis-break from reality. Neurosis-freudian for "strange and irrational but sane" Like ARFCOM GD.  We all have some neurosis I would argue.
Very uncommon.  You are most likely looking at one's behavior in time shot and not in a continuum of function.    

If you read the DSM IV/V without knowing what the fuck you are doing, you will soon realize you are mentally ill.  LOL  The truth is, unless you know what you are looking at, they all look like AR's.

Only for a few days out of each 28.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:23:46 PM EDT
[#31]
You guys are describing my ex-wife. She was raped by her older brother for years when she was a child. I was and am sure that is the source of her behavior.  The only thing I could count on is that she would hurt me and then try to make it my fault.

She is manageable as an ex, I don't take any of her shit at all, I have to be terse.

I would love to never see her again but unfortunately we have two children. The threat of rejection and abandonment are great behavior modifiers but only if you are in a position where you can't be hurt. Dominating her personality has been helpful.

She would do almost anything to be back with me, so she could hurt me again.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I've posted my MIL stories before.
Stay away OP.

We will have to pay the pallbearers at her funeral.,
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:01:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

For some mental illnesses, there is a rather high probability that children will develop them as well due to inheriting the same defective genes that predispose them to mental illness.

tl;dr don't reproduce with crazy, unless you want a 50/50 shot (oversimplification) at crazy children
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ex wife and her sister both. Sister spun out first and the ex followed her pattern a few years later. She was really sweet and seemingly well adjusted when we met. Then after a couple years she started acting crazy.

It was a miserable time spent thinking "I can't be the crazy one". Her family knew but I had to find out on my own. Totally fabricated memories to fit her agenda. Cheating, hot and cold emotions, bitter anger, sobbing apologies, cutting for attention and on and on... rinse repeat...

eject was the only option. Thank God we did not have children!

For some mental illnesses, there is a rather high probability that children will develop them as well due to inheriting the same defective genes that predispose them to mental illness.

tl;dr don't reproduce with crazy, unless you want a 50/50 shot (oversimplification) at crazy children

I already was going to ask but this is a good place to do so-

Is BPD a heritable trait? (If that's the correct terminology).

Or is it learned/environmental/not connected to parental genes?

Could be both, I guess, if inherited susceptibility and upbringing both contribute.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:04:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I remember the good old days when we just called crazy people crazy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:15:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I remember the good old days when we just called crazy people crazy.
View Quote
We have such a smorgasbord now we have to try and categorize. These we are talking about can be high functioning  people, and it`s usually  late in the game before you figure it out. It helps to have a list of symptoms available for reference.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:21:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Nobody.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

Nobody.

Classic symptom.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Could be both, I guess, if inherited susceptibility and upbringing both contribute.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ex wife and her sister both. Sister spun out first and the ex followed her pattern a few years later. She was really sweet and seemingly well adjusted when we met. Then after a couple years she started acting crazy.

It was a miserable time spent thinking "I can't be the crazy one". Her family knew but I had to find out on my own. Totally fabricated memories to fit her agenda. Cheating, hot and cold emotions, bitter anger, sobbing apologies, cutting for attention and on and on... rinse repeat...

eject was the only option. Thank God we did not have children!

Seems to be both. It's a heritable trait that will lie dormant until brought out by some trauma.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:35:30 PM EDT
[#38]
I've got a question about someone i know.

This person has poor coping skills with negative emotion. Usually dealt with by denial. "My relationship is going perfect" "I'm not at a funeral" etc.

When faced with a disagreement, will twist the argument to be about anything other than the original disagreement. To the point of denying events happened.

Social anxiety.

Sound like anything? I keep getting this "somethings not right" feeling but can't put my finger on it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:49:00 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

You guys are describing my ex-wife. She was raped by her older brother for years when she was a child. I was and am sure that is the source of her behavior.  The only thing I could count on is that she would hurt me and then try to make it my fault.

She is manageable as an ex, I don't take any of her shit at all, I have to be terse.

I would love to never see her again but unfortunately we have two children. The threat of rejection and abandonment are great behavior modifiers but only if you are in a position where you can't be hurt. Dominating her personality has been helpful.

She would do almost anything to be back with me, so she could hurt me again.
View Quote
Step father molestation for the ex/gf, which was never dealt with by the mother. Her life became an everyday search for validation of her victimization. It was a personal vendetta against her if the mailman was late delivering the mail. She`s a nurse which she actually hates, but gets a narcissistic feeding being a "martyr" for "thanklessly saving lives and dealing with patient deaths."

They are blameless, which makes them near impossible to treat. The misery and pain she caused makes it hard to pity her, but I do, from a (I don`t know or care where she is or what she`s doing) distance. You can`t even get "revenge" on someone like that, they love the attention even if it`s negative. That`s why I mentioned quicksand in my other post, the more you struggle the more stuck you get. You just have to get out and stay out.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:31:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Interesting stuff.

I think my second ex-wife was strongly HPD or BPD.  I hate you.....don't leave me!  That was the classic argument.  When she went hands on, I pulled the plug.  And yes, you can pick up those behaviors when you are subject to them, and it can take some work to untrain them too.  I had a great therapist off and on over the last five years who said "you can exhibit behaviors similar to a histrionic, or a borderline, or a narcissist.....without actually clinically being one".

I've been to plenty of therapy over the years, but one thing I do know is that I've always been open to examining my own behavior and learning ways to do things better.  I had a really shitty upbringing so I have had plenty to learn, and relearn.  Am I doing it wrong?  Show me how to handle it better.

Ex-wife, there was absolutely not a shred of self doubt, remorse, or anything to indicate that she ever felt she might be in the wrong somehow.  EVER.  Even in a counseling session.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:36:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Does anyone have a loved one, spouse, child, sibling with Borderline Personality Disorder?
How do you manage your relationship with them?
Any advice on dealing with them in a constructive way?
View Quote

My mom is BPD/NPD. She is also a hoarder.
My brothers and sisters and I have mostly ejected.
We will visit her every few years for about a day.

There is no way to deal with them because their reality has nothing to do with reality.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Interesting stuff.

I think my second ex-wife was strongly HPD or BPD.  I hate you.....don't leave me!  That was the classic argument.  When she went hands on, I pulled the plug.  And yes, you can pick up those behaviors when you are subject to them, and it can take some work to untrain them too.  I had a great therapist off and on over the last five years who said "you can exhibit behaviors similar to a histrionic, or a borderline, or a narcissist.....without actually clinically being one".

I've been to plenty of therapy over the years, but one thing I do know is that I've always been open to examining my own behavior and learning ways to do things better.  I had a really shitty upbringing so I have had plenty to learn, and relearn.  Am I doing it wrong?  Show me how to handle it better.

Ex-wife, there was absolutely not a shred of self doubt, remorse, or anything to indicate that she ever felt she might be in the wrong somehow.  EVER.  Even in a counseling session.

View Quote
You my friend, are on the right track. Many who are not clinical don't do this and we ALL need to do this and really is preventive of most mental health issues.  True story. When we learn what is influencing our behaviors, we better can prevent distorted thinking errors that MOST mental health issues arise from.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

There is no way to deal with them because their reality has nothing to do with reality.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Does anyone have a loved one, spouse, child, sibling with Borderline Personality Disorder?

It's a very common occurrence that family will abandon them, and for their own sanity. GD must realize that a person who is truly BPD will have severed and an overwhelming byproduct of alienation.  A so called "crazy" wife which most have is NOT BPD and is primarily due to sex differences in thinking and lack of effective communication. They could also be, and most likely be suffering from a mood disorder or hormonal changes.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:05:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It's a very common occurrence that family will abandon them, and for their own sanity. GD must realize that a person who is truly BPD will have severed and an overwhelming byproduct of alienation.  A so called "crazy" wife which most have is NOT BPD and is primarily due to sex differences in thinking and lack of effective communication. They could also be, and most likely be suffering from a mood disorder or hormonal changes.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny, I used to say that my then-wife was only nice one weekend a month.

I swear I could get a PTSD diagnosis from my time with her.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes.  I dated one.  

You've got my number if you want to talk sometime.

ETA: The recommendations about this book are spot-on.  At one of my lowest moments, I was wandering a Barnes & Noble and saw it on a shelf.  I just sat and started reading.  I Hate You, Don't Leave Me

Mike
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Updated the above.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#47]
My ex wife was BiPolar / Borderline.

Drug abuse problems and other issues.

She killed herself last year.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

My ex wife was BiPolar / Borderline.

Drug abuse problems and other issues.

She killed herself last year.

View Quote
Damn that`s tough. Girl I mentioned in this thread came close. She posted something on FB insinuating she was going to. Cop friend of hers who was on duty saw it and raced to her house. After knocking with no response he went around back and looked over the privacy fence. He saw her standing in the rain holding a pistol.

He got her to let him in and found some suicide notes, one was to me, I still have it. Took her to psych ward, let her sign in voluntarily, she was out the next day. Found out one week later she was banging this married dude again.

I decided not to confront her but start being more and more absent. She had one more rage meltdown about how I was dirt a hundred different ways, but mostly for not being around much anymore. I told her what I knew, ignored all the predictable tricks she tried to pull to get me not leave her, in between blaming me for it all of course. Went and got my things off the porch, tossed her key under the mat and havn`t spoken to her since. I`m thankful everyday to be free of that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#49]
BPD is a billable designation for "You're an asshole."
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought they thought very B&W. Like someone was either wonderful or terrible.
But I don't know much about it.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top