BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no way that anyone would hire her based on her personality so we can figure that part is a lie right off the bat.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will take her comments at face value.  I don't see a problem with her attire.  She looks like all the geeky female computer nerds on those highly-realistic cop shows who look like they just came from the used clothing shop.  But that is presented as the cultural standard.

How is her dress not in line with programming?  I don't know anything about the biz, but is anything more than bizcaz necessary?

We do objectify women.  We do like sexy.  But we also draw some very arbitrary lines not to be crossed.  These lines are often indecipherable.

I don't see her rant as particularly feminist.  If I were her, I'd be pissed, too.

View Quote

Her attire is inline with a programming job, not an interview the interview in my opinion is something entirely different.  Taking the time to dress properly for the interview is an indicator of planning and attention to detail and should be considered.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Maybe programmers should be interviewing programmers
View Quote

That's on the second interview.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

She's wearing formal attire compared to what most programmers usually wear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To be fair, I don't see anything wrong with what she's wearing.

... to an interview?  For a professional position, you always wear a suit and tie or the female equivalent.  I would not hire someone that didn't.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

... to an interview?  For a professional position, you always wear a suit and tie or the female equivalent.  I would not hire someone that didn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
To be fair, I don't see anything wrong with what she's wearing.

"Even if you are interviewing for a position where the culture is laid-back, you should always dress and act in a professional manner.  Not only does it show that you are serious about the job, but it's a sign of respect to the hiring manager who is taking time out of his or her day to interview you."

-Rosemary Haefner, vice president of human resources for CareerBuider.com

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:48:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
She probably just didn't notice the sign on the way in .

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=75404

View Quote

I'd respect the outfit more if she'd wear that skirt at her natural waistline instead of high enough to bump into her bra. If your belly button is covered, your pants or skirt isn't a proper fit. Pull it down.

A collared shirt, khaki pants, and flats is the standard attire for female cube farmers working at my company.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, that pretty much says all that needs to be said.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol Oberlin.  Again.

Yeah, that pretty much says all that needs to be said.

Producing the likes of the vile Lena Dunham
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#9]
thy might wear jeans and tshirts but they probably wore at least slacks and dress shirts to the interview, possibly suits, or some other more professional looking clothing
her outfit doesn't look all that great and not just from a "business environment" point of view.

my current employer's dress code for the building I'm in is business casual, Even though I already work there if I were to apply for another job internally and have an interview I'd up my attire to a suit for the interview even though the daily attire would be slacks and a polo shirt

I knew to wear a suit to an interview right out of college. How did this moron think a cleavage tshirt would be ok for an interview?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#10]
HR only told her that to be nice.  In reality, they didn't want her because of her herpty derp.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:11:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like the TV told her that a girl in IT was supposed to dress like Abby on NCIS and she actually believed it.

Wrong-o, snowflake.  You are applying for a professional position, try and look the part.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
To be fair, isn't programming one of those jobs where you can be weird as fuck and that's fine because you're judged based on what you do, not what you look like?
View Quote

to some extent, probably more so in a dedicated software company, but I have a feeling most programmers and IT people in the world actually work for companies who's focus isn't software or IT but need in house staff for those areas. Those companies still hold on to traditional corporate America dress codes even for their IT staffs
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

to some extent, probably more so in a dedicated software company, but I have a feeling most programmers and IT people in the world actually work for companies who's focus isn't software or IT but need in house staff for those areas. Those companies still hold on to traditional corporate America dress codes even for their IT staffs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To be fair, isn't programming one of those jobs where you can be weird as fuck and that's fine because you're judged based on what you do, not what you look like?

I catch shit from my bosses all the time for not having my shirt tucked in.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't see a problem with what she is wearing, my guess is the recruiter didn't like her and choose a stupid reason to say no.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought she was dressed decent enough. But like someone else said she would have probably been a HR nightmare.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I bet every mirror in her house is painted black.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I sincerely doubt anyone in that company stated they would hire her except for her atrocious taste in clothing and color coordination. She wasn't hired because they saw "the crazy" immediately. Besides, she is obviously color blind, that purse only matches her political leanings.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Honestly, if that is what she was wearing - and her story is accurate - then she SHOULD be angry.

My guess is that there's more to the story - probably her behavior during the interview, and not what she was wearing.
View Quote

You don't wear red to an interview. I though everybody knew that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:01:57 PM EDT
[#19]
As one of my former HR reps would put. It was not just a single red flag that caused us not to hire them but the full damn parade field full of red flags.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What a fat ugly disgusting she-pig cunt twat whore.
View Quote

Who pissed in your cheerios?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Great attitude...I'm sure you were a peach in the interview
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
lol wait until feminists find out that men just wear gym shorts and t-shirts to job interviews
View Quote

no headband? what kind of slack-jawed hick joint do you work at ?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Honestly, if that is what she was wearing - and her story is accurate - then she SHOULD be angry.

My guess is that there's more to the story - probably her behavior during the interview, and not what she was wearing.
View Quote

agreed. the outfit isn't THAT bad, and pretty much any team I've ever worked on would be willing to fire half the guys there to get any
sub 200lb female.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So, you dispense with the paper plate?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been in situation where it goes both ways.

So, you dispense with the paper plate?

It's like climbing Half Dome with no ropes. Very exciting.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

She's pretty full of herself, but I don't see any problem with what she's wearing.

Especially for a programming job.  

She's cute though.  I'd offer her a position on my staff.

View Quote

I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That with a jacket or cardigan to cover the shoulders and color appropriate tights would work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A skater skirt is simply a style of skirt. Usually above knee length, flared out.

http://picture-cdn.wheretoget.it/9xqa0o-i.jpg

It has nothing to do with skateboards or casual wear. they can be quite pretty and dressy.
http://oohlaluxe.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/peach-scuba-skater-skirt2.png

That with a jacket or cardigan to cover the shoulders and color appropriate tights would work.

Not for an interview for a professional position.  I have wore a suit to my current employer twice in 15 years.  Once for the interview and the other was a presentation to the CEO and VP's of the company.  (about 45k employees world wide)
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#27]
There's a 3rd party here that's about to lose a contract.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, an internal HR dept wouldn't release any info and if a head hunter does it, they get fired fast and sued.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:44:00 PM EDT
[#29]
"all night cooker.......50 dollar hooker"
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

She's pretty full of herself, but I don't see any problem with what she's wearing.

Especially for a programming job.  

She's cute though.  I'd offer her a position on my staff.

View Quote

Would you have her take a hiring poll first?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:50:55 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Yeah, an internal HR dept wouldn't release any info and if a head hunter does it, they get fired fast and sued.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm guessing that the interviewing manager made an offhand comment to the head hunter, who then came back to her and suggested she dress more appropriately next time.

Either way, not hiring someone for the way they dressed is completely acceptable, people will scream discrimination over everything.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:59:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don't know where to go from here.  Palazzo pants?  Maxi dress?  Boatneck top?  

If it's getting too hot in here I can throw in words like girdle and poncho.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does but that's ok.  I was well into adulthood before I knew what they were either.  

Espadrilles or alpargatas are normally casual, flat, but sometimes high-heeled shoes originating in the Pyrenees. They usually have a canvas or cotton fabric upper and a flexible sole made of jute rope. The jute rope sole is the defining characteristic of an espadrille; the uppers vary widely in style.

Oddly enough, I have a pic already in my photobucket from the last time someone here asked.  

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/emilysmom_02/espadrille_zps3051818b.jpg

So..uh...like I said before. The answer is yes.

I don't know where to go from here.  Palazzo pants?  Maxi dress?  Boatneck top?  

If it's getting too hot in here I can throw in words like girdle and poncho.  

Poncho always gets me going
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:06:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
She doesn't look like she's about to go clubbing, she looks like she's going to celebrate Samhain and commune with fox spirits before updating her livejournal as to how her Wiccan Coven has "sold out."
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#35]

I was right

Wednesday, she got a call from the recruiter, Julie Maurer of Silverline Consulting in Akron. It was not good news.

Her 3rd party recruiter called her after the fact and told her why she didn't get hired, the lack of professionalism is in the recruiter.

These head hunters usually have a very causal relationship with the hiring managers because it's full of alcohol and evening dinners, so I can see why they could have been so honest about her candidate. Either that or Julie Maurer was just pissed off she didn't get the commission an exaggerated the manager's reasons.

It's up to the recruiter to relay that information professionally to the candidate.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:12:16 AM EDT
[#36]

She's going to make some young man very happy one of these days.

Happy he dodged that bullet, 'cause odds are she's a bull dyke.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:16:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Late to an interview?  Doesn't matter if you call or not, its an automatic no.  

Live and learn and don't be late to the next one and you'll probably get the job.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:19:54 AM EDT
[#38]
She looks like she took fashion lessons from Meghan Trainor.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:42:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
She looks like she took fashion lessons from Meghan Trainor.

View Quote

I'm guessing this comment didn't seem nearly as ghey when you first thought it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#40]
...to be followed by "Judge threw me in jail for contempt because I was wearing a sport bra and jogging shorts. Kill the patriarchy!".
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:48:56 AM EDT
[#41]
My first interview at the machine shop I'm at now I came dressed in slacks and a button down. No tie, thought that might be pushing it

Came back for the second one in jeans and a polo and decent shoes. Was still dressed nicer than the owner.

It's like anything else, you'd much rather be over dressed than under dressed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:06:11 AM EDT
[#42]
She ain't gonna change the world playing the victim card.  If she's so smart, she should start her own company.  Otherwise, she should be grateful for the heads up that her interview attire is not appropriate.  Fix it, and actually get hired next time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:23:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I was right

http://www.cleveland.com/tipoff/index.ssf/2015/04/sexism_or_lack_of_professional.html

Wednesday, she got a call from the recruiter, Julie Maurer of Silverline Consulting in Akron. It was not good news.

Her 3rd party recruiter called her after the fact and told her why she didn't get hired, the lack of professionalism is in the recruiter.

These head hunters usually have a very causal relationship with the hiring managers because it's full of alcohol and evening dinners, so I can see why they could have been so honest about her candidate. Either that or Julie Maurer was just pissed off she didn't get the commission an exaggerated the manager's reasons.

It's up to the recruiter to relay that information professionally to the candidate.

http://www.echogen.com/img/bios/julie-maurer.jpg

View Quote

I'd be willing to bet that the recruiter's feedback was mischaracterized by the CIQ.
I like how the author included some of the comments, and dropped the little nuggets that the interviewer and the recruiter were women. "But but discrimination!"
She has seriously Google-shot herself in the professional foot. Life's tough when you're dumb. It's tougher when you dumb and abrasive.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#44]

She said it made no difference to her sexism argument that she interviewed first with a female executive at OnShift, Teri Hembree, executive vice president of operations and resources, or that the recruiter, Maurer, also a woman, didn't share her outrage or sense of injustice and instead suggested she go buy a new interview outfit.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
agreed. the outfit isn't THAT bad, and pretty much any team I've ever worked on would be willing to fire half the guys there to get any

sub 200lb female.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

sub 200lb female.
sub 200lb? I have doubts.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#46]
The older I get the more I hate young people.
I have never in my life ever heard of anyone who didn't get a job being told anything other than thanks we went with someone else. No way would I believe a company not ran by ACTUAL retards would tell a potential hire any more information than that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I wouldn't hire an adult dressed like that either.

View Quote

I still dress up in business attire for programming interviews. It shows respect. Once hired, if the boss allows casual dress, THEN dress casual. But for an interview? All business.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#48]
I bet she doesn't sweat that much, for a fat girl.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:37:13 AM EDT
[#49]
I hate people that feel entitled.  That's right, HATE them with a molten lava core of raging nuclear inferno levels of disgust.

That bitch needs to look to herself to see why she failed the interview.  IF I lost my job tomorrow I would look to myself to search for the answer to my failure.. I wouldn't cast about looking for someone else to blame.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I still dress up in business attire for programming interviews. It shows respect. Once hired, if the boss allows casual dress, THEN dress casual. But for an interview? All business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't hire an adult dressed like that either.

Yep, that's true.  

People need to figure out what standard dress codes are and follow them.  That will solve most of any potential problems right off of the bat.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top