Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:37:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure that will roll down hill in interesting ways.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How many questionnaires does $287 million buy?  I'm sure that having to fill out all of them will increase morale significantly.
View Quote

Just think of the morale boost spreading that money around would have done. But we all know where that cash went.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Throw money at it and everything will be fine, all the problems will go away.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Allowing gays in the military have anything to do with these stats?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#5]
its intentional.
Sir, I will not obey that order (bill whittle)
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok, the mission is drawing down but suicides are going up WTF?  Could it be all this ludicrous social experimenting that is going on?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

this! can't wait for the coed tank crews.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dont worry, once they get women into combat arms everyone will be happy because equality.

this! can't wait for the coed tank crews.

They'll have nowhere to run!

Like a 70 ton box of rape.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Allowing gay people to serve isn't the problem. I've seen more revolting shit out of straight guys in the army than the homos I knew.

Turning it into a welfare factory where only straight white guys are held to a standard, and are stuck working for people who have no business being leaders or managers is what is killing it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

There have always been gays in the military, and when you live and work so closely with people you don't need them to come out in order to know.

In my experience nobody gave a shit about gay dudes as long as they were good soldiers. Obviously, some did, but they were a minority.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Allowing gay people to serve isn't the problem. I've seen more revolting shit out of straight guys in the army than the homos I knew.

Turning it into a welfare factory where only straight white guys are held to a standard, and are stuck working for people who have no business being leaders or managers is what is killing it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Double standards.

Ill ageee with that. That is what pisses off the good workers.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Time for more morale classes. Hunt the good stuff, fellas!
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#12]
You want to increase morale?  Use that $287 mil to subsidize the cost of alcohol, dip, and nudie mags.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You want to increase morale?  Use that $287 mil to subsidize the cost of alcohol, dip, and nudie mags.

View Quote

Psst, your ism is showing.

Just off the top of my head I'd say add that money to purchasing ammunition, subsidizing changes in uniform, and supporting critical skills training.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everyone already knew who was gay, and very few people cared.  Only difference now is you can take your boyfriend to the dining out.

Probably has a lot more to do with different standards, promotion and retention policies for different people.  That's a morale killer.

Nothing like watching one of your leaders take his E4 chai girl out to "lunch" while you're stuck in the third SHARP/Fraternization class of the year.   Then, be the poor SOB who has to grade that E4 on her PT test, or pin the E5 rank on her chest.  Be the E4/E5 competing with that, and then go to the PX and see a shitbird who hasn't been taped in 10 years.

In a garrison environment, the Army gives you a fuckton of time off.  Problem is, time on duty is often mismanaged, leaving joe holding the bag at the last minute when he thought he had a 4-day training holiday coming up.

Holding everyone to the same standard would solve a lot of issues.  But, the military (including the Army) doesn't exist to fight and win wars, it exists to enforce the political will of the nation, and the naiton doesn't have the political will to hold everyone to the same standard.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Fundamental transformation!
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Time for more morale classes. Hunt the good stuff, fellas!
View Quote

Yep, detect ice burgs and all that other touchy feely shit that makes me wonder what my brains would look like on the ceiling.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

More than half of some 770,000 soldiers are pessimistic about their future in the military and nearly as many are unhappy in their jobs, despite a six-year, $287 million campaign to make troops more optimistic and resilient, findings obtained by USA TODAY show.
?
Twelve months of data through early 2015 show that 403,564 soldiers, or 52%, scored badly in the area of optimism, agreeing with statements such as "I rarely count on good things happening to me." Forty-eight percent have little satisfaction in or commitment to their jobs.
The results stem from resiliency assessments that soldiers are required to take every year. In 2014, for the first time, the Army pulled data from those assessments to help commanders gauge the psychological and physical health of their troops.
The effort produced startlingly negative results. In addition to low optimism and job satisfaction, more than half reported poor nutrition and sleep, and only 14% said they are eating right and getting enough rest.
The Army began a program of positive psychology in 2009 in the midst of two wars and as suicide and mental illness were on the rise. To measure resiliency the Army created a confidential, online questionnaire that all soldiers, including the National Guard and Reserve, must fill out once a year.
View Quote

www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/16/army-survey-morale/24897455/
View Quote

How is this the Air Force's fault?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:49:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Morale or lack there of starts at the top, get rid of the CIC he is fucking over .mil.

Many of the problems could be solved.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I, as a contractor, showed the unit MRT that I work around. He scoffed at it and didn't read it even an paragraph...

No one respects this fuck and we all mock him.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#20]
They sure blew a lot of money on their "optimism program."

Some consultant made off like a bandit, that's for sure.

However, when USA TODAY provided her the supporting Army documents
this week, her office acknowledged the data but said the formulas used
to produce them were obsolete. "We stand by our previous responses," it
said in a statement.

View Quote

Subsequent to USA TODAY's inquiry, the Army
calculated new findings but lowered the threshold for a score to be a
positive result. As a consequence, for example, only 9% of 704,000 score
poorly in optimism.

That's the spirit! When the statistics look bad, just adjust the formula until you get the answer you want! Presto! Optimism! Like magic!

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More than half of some 770,000 soldiers are pessimistic about their future in the military and nearly as many are unhappy in their jobs, despite a six-year, $287 million campaign to make troops more optimistic and resilient, findings obtained by USA TODAY show.
?
Twelve months of data through early 2015 show that 403,564 soldiers, or 52%, scored badly in the area of optimism, agreeing with statements such as "I rarely count on good things happening to me." Forty-eight percent have little satisfaction in or commitment to their jobs.
The results stem from resiliency assessments that soldiers are required to take every year. In 2014, for the first time, the Army pulled data from those assessments to help commanders gauge the psychological and physical health of their troops.
The effort produced startlingly negative results. In addition to low optimism and job satisfaction, more than half reported poor nutrition and sleep, and only 14% said they are eating right and getting enough rest.
The Army began a program of positive psychology in 2009 in the midst of two wars and as suicide and mental illness were on the rise. To measure resiliency the Army created a confidential, online questionnaire that all soldiers, including the National Guard and Reserve, must fill out once a year.

This is easy.  If the USAF would have provided better CAS, Army morale would be better and there would have been no need to spend $287 million on this feel good program.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#22]
morale is always at an all time low unless the following things are occurring

-your killing bad guys

- getting your dick wet

-drinking

-not having to play fuck fuck games at the command of faggot leaders.  

simple...  really is just that simple.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#23]
6 years, you say?

Hmmmmmmmmm, what happened about 6 years ago that would have such a profound effect on troop morale?

Gee, I wonder.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Just off the top of my head I'd say add that money to purchasing ammunition, subsidizing changes in uniform, and supporting critical skills training.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

homeboy had it right...   stop trying to get promoted hard charger..
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Dont worry, once they get women into combat arms everyone will be happy because equality.
View Quote

I believe a few females are slotted for Ranger School.  Now the tab means nothing lol
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#26]
this is what happens when political bullshit encroaches on the military. Too much fucking PC nonsense. Too much promoting people for reasons other than being good at killing people. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be in with BHO as President. It was bad enough serving under Bill Jefferson "B.J." Clinton.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#27]
it may seem stupid but wouldnt it make sense to look at the comics that are written making fun of the military's idiotic policy decisions?  'well, the hands in pockets thing is pretty dumb.. maybe we shouldnt worry about that.'  or 'hm, maybe we dont need safety briefings every time someone stubs their toe.'  granted, thats oversimplifying but.. it seems like a simple and cheap place to start.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
6 years, you say?

Hmmmmmmmmm, what happened about 6 years ago that would have such a profound effect on troop morale?

Gee, I wonder.
View Quote

[/thread]

FBHO.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
6 years, you say?

Gee, I wonder.
View Quote

6 years ago is when the study started... morale has been shit for a long time before that.  I've been out since before Obama, and morale was shit while I was still in.  Most everyone spent their days being miserable and frustrated.. it was poor leadership making life miserable.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

6 years ago is when the study started... morale has been shit for a long time before that.  I've been out since before Obama, and morale was shit while I was still in.  Most everyone spent their days being miserable and frustrated.. it was poor leadership making life miserable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
6 years, you say?

Gee, I wonder.

So, it was Bush's fault.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
In a garrison environment, the Army gives you a fuckton of time off.  Problem is, time on duty is often mismanaged, leaving joe holding the bag at the last minute when he thought he had a 4-day training holiday coming up.
View Quote

That sort of thing drove me absolutely insane.  Probably one of the top 5 reasons I didn't reup.

Get to work at 0600.. formation at 0630.. PT till 0800.  Formation at 0900.  Do absolutely fucking nothing till 1100.  Literally just sit on our asses, bored to death.  Back to work at 1300... go back to sitting around doing nothing.

Than like every other day.. 1645 rolls around.  E6 or so shows up, "we have a lot to do and we no one goes home until everything is done!"

WTF!  Why they fuck didn't they have us doing all this shit all day long!  But since they failed as leaders, we spent the normal duty hours doing nothing at all, then trying to do everything right at 1700.. so we worked until 1900 or so when it just wasn't necessary at all.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Pathetic that the leadership throws money at a problem that could easily be fixed by getting rid of shitty leaders.
View Quote

Would that also include the social engineering?

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

That sort of thing drove me absolutely insane.  Probably one of the top 5 reasons I didn't reup.

Get to work at 0600.. formation at 0630.. PT till 0800.  Formation at 0900.  Do absolutely fucking nothing till 1100.  Literally just sit on our asses, bored to death.  Back to work at 1300... go back to sitting around doing nothing.

Than like every other day.. 1645 rolls around.  E6 or so shows up, "we have a lot to do and we no one goes home until everything is done!"

WTF!  Why they fuck didn't they have us doing all this shit all day long!  But since they failed as leaders, we spent the normal duty hours doing nothing at all, then trying to do everything right at 1700.. so we worked until 1900 or so when it just wasn't necessary at all.
View Quote

Are there any consequences for this sort of thing?

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Endless deployments.  Any question why their demoralized?  Suicide among soldiers is high and I bet the almost non-stop  pace is a contributing factor.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Funny thing is they could have just split that $278m amongst all the people in the Army which would have done more to improve morale than anything else, but they didn't because govt or something.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Simple math, you give a company commander and 1SG 400+ days of training requirements, but only give them 235 training days a year morale is gonna suck. Especially since most of those requirements are the death by PowerPoint don't beat your spouse, kids, dog, don't do drugs don't rape anyone training. Then add in back to back deployments where we have no strategy, you have a recipient for disaster.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#37]
They could issue Bibles like they used to.  I can say from experience that believing you're space-dust and nothing matters is depressing.  The military is probably a lot of my generation, very secular.  So, they've probably got that view.  The moral anarchy doesn't better morale.  Guys think if they can have their butt-sex or cross dress openly everything will be great.  Nah, the guilt and the emptiness will still be there.  They try to lash out at society as making them feel bad but it's inside them.  They're not gonna improve morale with atheistic psychology programs and sexual nihilism.  Our soldiers need the healing of a life changed by Christ.  It's unfortunate the military seems to be doing the opposite and trying to stamp out something truly helpful and life saving.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:31:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Simple math, you give a company commander and 1SG 400+ days of training requirements, but only give them 235 training days a year morale is gonna suck. Especially since most of those requirements are the death by PowerPoint don't beat your spouse, kids, dog, don't do drugs don't rape anyone training. Then add in back to back deployments where we have no strategy, you have a recipient for disaster.
View Quote

I was about to post this about the mandatory training.  It is absolute bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute.army.mil/pdffiles/PUB1250.pdf
One of the bravest studies I've seen.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I only saw something done about it one time.  It was 2005.  For whatever reason.. no one really new why.. for a few weeks in a row, all we did was clean weapons until 8pm, every day.  We drew them from the arms room sometime after lunch.. 3 or so.  After a couple days.. we were cleaning absolutely spotless weapons.

Finally, the FRG (family readiness group.. basically angry wives) got sick of it and took it up to brigade level.  Brigade commander was not amused about what was going on.  He put out the order that no one in his brigade will work past 5pm unless it's for scheduled duty or training.  We basically laughed.. as stuff like that never actually happened.

But sure as shit.. the next day right at 1700.. battalion command sgt major blast through every companies building.. if you were there in uniform, he would ask why.. if he didn't like the answer you would be told "fuck that go home" lol  That happened about a week in a row before the company leadership finally realized that it was serious and started cutting us loose before the CSM showed up to do it for them.

Apparently the brigade commander lit up our battalion commander over the whole thing.  A few months later that battalion was deactivated(not related, it was in the works for a few years before).. and the fuckery started back up again at the next unit I was assigned to.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
They could issue Bibles like they used to.  I can say from experience that believing you're space-dust and nothing matters is depressing.  The military is probably a lot of my generation, very secular.  So, they've probably got that view.  The moral anarchy doesn't better morale.  Guys think if they can have their butt-sex or cross dress openly everything will be great.  Nah, the guilt and the emptiness will still be there.  They try to lash out at society as making them feel bad but it's inside them.  They're not gonna improve morale with atheistic psychology programs and sexual nihilism.  Our soldiers need the healing of a life changed by Christ.  It's unfortunate the military seems to be doing the opposite and trying to stamp out something truly helpful and life saving.
View Quote

Most guys I served with weren't religious.  

You can get bibles all day long from the chaplin.  Most guys were more interested in getting drunk and going to the strip club.

As said many times in this thread by guys who were in the military.. that low morale is a product of piss poor leadership.  The stuff that made me miserable day to day could have been fixed by competent leaders.

But.. aside from the rare exception... the best soldiers, both officers and enlisted alike, get out of the Army.  So naturally, the higher up leadership tends to be not so great.  The occasional solid guy stays in and ends up being a great leader, but can't do much to fix morale because the leaders above him are fools.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Especially when 95% of the training is BS feel good crap and your unit is poorly trained on combat tasks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This is easy.  If the USAF would have provided better CAS, Army morale would be better and there would have been no need to spend $287 million on this feel good program.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

?

I was thinking the AF improved army morale.  Grunts love complaining.  If the AF provided better CAS there would be more grunts

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I was thinking the AF improved army morale.  Grunts love complaining.  If the AF provided better CAS there would be more grunts

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

?

Nothing an F-35 fly by program won't fix
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Endless deployments.  Any question why their demoralized?  Suicide among soldiers is high and I bet the almost non-stop  pace is a contributing factor.
View Quote

I like deployments. Sitting around in fucking garrison is what sucks ass. Been out for almost two years.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Here is my take, and again just my personal observations.

I joined the infantry in 93.  All men, the few women that where assigned to us were treated like one of the boys.  Nothing special, no problems, and no one did any thing stupid.  Then all the sensitivity training came in, women flew up promotion ranks faster then I could blink, and all of a sudden there were a million new positions all headed by these women that came out of no where.  Then it was the bullshit videos.  The training about how all men are sexual predators and women are helpless damsels that are not accountable for there own actions.  Right now it is worse, and we have sewn our own seeds of destruction.  Right now people are so offended by every little thing, that it is now a weapon that paralyzes every body.  All my senior leadership got to their positions by doing nothing but looking good doing it.  Now they sit in positions, looking good but accomplishing nothing.  So guess what, nothing is done, that is now a fact.
Do you know how you destroy the military?  Take the soldiers that are true warriors, and create an environment that is toxic to them.  Fill the top ranks with scammers, yes men, and cry babies and you have the 2015 armed forces.  After a year in, the new soldiers see this clear as day and want out.  Only the scammers see potential, and they join the rest of the scammers.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Because they have a Commander in Chief that could care less about them.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy crap, no kidding.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#49]
I read the headline and thought there was going to be a link to a Duffel Blog article.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I like deployments. Sitting around in fucking garrison is what sucks ass. Been out for almost two years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Being deployed is better in many ways.  It's like the only time where, for the most part, you only have to worry about stuff that actually matters.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top