Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2015 8:55:05 PM EDT
Today, I finally found the time to start laying down trees for this upcoming firewood season

I should have the mostly cherry, sycamore, maple and oak completely cut in lengths and split in a few weeks (several cords)

I understand that ideally, wood should season at least 12 mos.
I'm concerned that the moisture content of the wood I split now won't be in the recommended low to mid 20% by the start of the season (October)

I searched and ran across this simple 'Holz Hausen' method of stacking and drying wood reasonably quick (generally long, hot, but humid summers here)
The logic is that it creates a chimney effect
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/fluckiger132.html
Might give it a go

Just had a chimney sweep out and he ended up having to use a chemical to loosen the ten year build-up of creosote
I was burning some wet stuff in years past and now I recently had a fireplace insert put in with a nice, new insulated chimney liner
Sure don't want to screw that up burning wet wood

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Tag.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Today, I finally found the time to start laying down trees for this upcoming firewood season
I should have the mostly cherry, sycamore, maple and oak completely cut in lengths and split in a few weeks (several cords)

I'm concerned that the moisture content of the wood I split now won't be in the recommended low to mid 20% by the start of the season (October)
I searched and ran across this simple 'Holz Hausen' method of stacking and drying wood reasonably quick (generally long, hot, but humid summers here)

Might give it a go
Just had a chimney sweep out and he ended up having to use a chemical to loosen the ten year build-up of creosote

I was burning some wet stuff in years past and now I recently had a fireplace insert put in with a nice, new insulated chimney liner

View Quote
Split in Half, quarter, 8th's depending on how thick the limb or tunk was. Bark up. Two rows deep and 5 -6 feet high and 10 feet long oh and covered with a tarp. Not completely though. Did this for many years. Never an issue
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I cover mine in clear polly. Stack a few logs high in the center, and run a PVC ridge pole over my rows. I then staple the polly to my wood so the wind wont take it off. Makes a nice little green house for my wood. Seems to dry it out rather well.. I have 6 face cord stacked now, once I get about 6 more, if this thread is still alive Ill post a pic.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Split in Half, quarter, 8th's depending on how thick the limb or tunk was. Bark up. Two rows deep and 5 -6 feet high and 10 feet long oh and covered with a tarp. Not completely though. Did this for many years. Never an issue
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might give it a go

In seasons past, I admit I just kinda piled the wood in a heap
I may go your way (and it looks like a fine way to stack it) but it could put a strain on the space where I'm lining it all
The circular design of the Holz Hausen should save some room
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Bark down, covered.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bark down, covered.
View Quote

Let it go.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I cover mine in clear polly. Stack a few logs high in the center, and run a PVC ridge pole over my rows. I then staple the polly to my wood so the wind wont take it off. Makes a nice little green house for my wood. Seems to dry it out rather well.. I have 6 face cord stacked now, once I get about 6 more, if this thread is still alive Ill post a pic.
View Quote

I would like to see your design
Do you keep the sides or top open for air circulation?
Does water condensate on the inside?
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#8]
On a super frigid day it gets down in the upper 40's.  That usually happens at least once per year.

The other days I warm up the hot tub and enjoy an adult beverage while contemplating what others up north are doing to stay warm.

Edit: grew up in the North, which is why I won't live there. That said, have seen the result of a creosote fire....,make darn sure that shit is dry!  Bad things happen when you burn "wet wood".
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I use gas.

But I guy I work with does this.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:47:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Not mine, but I've always wanted to have enough spare time to try it
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I may go your way (and it looks like a fine way to stack it) but it could put a strain on the space where I'm lining it all

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Might give it a go

Forgot to add. We used pallets to keep the wood off the ground and let it breathe a bit.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty sure only gay folks do it that way.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
On a super frigid day it gets down in the upper 40's.  That usually happens at least once per year.

The other days I warm up the hot tub and enjoy an adult beverage while contemplating what others up north are doing to stay warm.

Edit: grew up in the North, which is why I won't live there. That said, have seen the result of a creosote fire....,make darn sure that shit is dry!  Bad things happen when you burn "wet wood".
View Quote

Mine was very bad. I saw the video feed of it. I was lucky
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Between trees
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't use that much firewood so I stack half a cord in my garage next to my truck.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a confession to make. This past winter was the first time in a long time that I actually bought firewood. Just worked out that way due to work loads and such. Anyway, the guy I bought my wood from had his stacked in a similar fashion but he had a barrel in the center of the circle that he kept a fire in. He checked the moisture content with a moisture meter and rotated the logs periodically.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:55:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Poly goes about 1/2 the way down on the sides.. Stack it so the wind can blow between each row.. If you stack the middle higher, like I said and have a ridge pole and the tarp its taught the condensation will roll down the slopes and not drop back on the the wood.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I recommend the Holz Hausen.

I put up some red oak 2 yrs. ago in a 7' dia. circle stacked 6' tall. It really works good for the oddly shaped limbs or difficult to stack pieces.

You just throw them in the center loosely. They dry just fine. They are not as seasoned as the outer ring...I don't care what the german's say.

It is waaay more attractive than rows.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/wood-pile-art-1.jpg

View Quote

that's fuckin cool
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

That's it
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have a confession to make. This past winter was the first time in a long time that I actually bought firewood. Just worked out that way due to work loads and such. Anyway, the guy I bought my wood from had his stacked in a similar fashion but he had a barrel in the center of the circle that he kept a fire in. He checked the moisture content with a moisture meter and rotated the logs periodically.
View Quote

The barrel with a fire in the middle is interesting
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

that's fuckin cool
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/wood-pile-art-1.jpg

that's fuckin cool

I'm not quite that motivated
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Cross stack on each end, fill the middle.  Longer cure time in the back.  Split into quarters (or more), as needed.  Shorter run on one end for the kindling...usually crossways from the rest...or, mixed in on one end of each row.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I use the holz method.  I like the way they look,  and they don't fall down.  I throw shorts and uglies in the center to fill it up.  
This method, contrary to belief,  does not make it dry faster or create a chimney effect (even when leaving the interior hollow).  
Single stacked in the wind and sun is fastest.  Get a moisture meter and only burn wood that is below 20%. Generally,  one full year for softwoods, and up to 3 years for slow drying hardwoods like oak,  hickory, locust, etc.
Hearth.Com in the woodshed forum is a great resource.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:17:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's fuckin cool

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:18:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I have always just used deadfall or trees that have been knocked down for several years to cut up into firewood.  As far as stacking it I let the ranch hands do it.  
When I lived in the Texas Panhandle you had to buy wood because there probably wasn't two trees in the whole county unless they were in somebody's yard.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:18:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Them mofos were bored.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I use the holz method.  I like the way they look,  and they don't fall down.  I throw shorts and uglies in the center to fill it up.  
This method, contrary to belief,  does not make it dry faster or create a chimney effect (even when leaving the interior hollow).  
Single stacked in the wind and sun is fastest.  Get a moisture meter and only burn wood that is below 20%. Generally,  one full year for softwoods, and up to 3 years for slow drying hardwoods like oak,  hickory, locust, etc.
Hearth.Com in the woodshed forum is a great resource.
View Quote

Since a quicker dry is what I'm looking for, the single stack does seem to make more sense in drying time
Might have to make room
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Stack it loose and don't cover it until the fall. Put in an area where it gets plenty of wind or air circulation. Heat doesn't season wood, air/wind does.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#31]
In 5' high rows in the lean-to I built, stacked with the length of the lean-to which faces north-west to south east and catches most of the wind I see end to end.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:36:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I might have to try that . I have been doing long single rows . space is not an issue for me .
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:40:54 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd build a fort.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:41:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Them mofos were bored.
View Quote

No doubt, but still impressive.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Prevailing winds here pretty much blow from WSW or SSW in summer here

Ideally, I would have the ends face N/S (because of mowing and the way my fences are arranged) but I may adjust the ends/rows to face the prevailing winds
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I am going to try the holz hausen, looks kinda cool. I will get back to ya late november with a comparison to our usual stacks.

Good thread OP, and some people really have some time on their hands.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:07:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I am going to try the holz hausen, looks kinda cool. I will get back to ya late november with a comparison to our usual stacks.

Good thread OP, and some people really have some time on their hands.
View Quote

I'm really back and forth on the idea. May just try both for comparisons sake

I have a couple weeks to decide but decide I must

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:40:04 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pics of wood pile?

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:50:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do it with three wolves howling at the moon.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:07:39 AM EDT
[#41]
I back up a full F150 load to the fence and drag it all out into a something barely resembling a stack.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:12:15 AM EDT
[#42]
What a cool thread.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:21:03 AM EDT
[#43]
How I stack my firewood...

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:48:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I back up a full F150 load to the fence and drag it all out into a something barely resembling a stack.
View Quote

Mine have been just a big, un stacked pile of wood. And then wondering why it's not dry come winter

Any creosote that enters into my insert and onto the catalyst will render it's efficiency nil (as well as the fire dangers, of course)

Moisture meter came with the insert so now I'll be a checkin' that wood

I'll either not burn or will buy dry wood before I put anything wet in it

Finished my coffee..... better get on it!

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Pics of wood pile?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pics of wood pile?

It's not COC friendly.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Stack it loose and don't cover it until the fall. Put in an area where it gets plenty of wind or air circulation. Heat doesn't season wood, air/wind does.
View Quote

What about building a pavilion right up next to your wood burner with possibly a back wall and a pretty open side wall with about 4 inches between panels.

ETA: Seems like a good idea to me anyway
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Holz-Hauzen is cute & makes pretty pictures.

I stack mine on pallets, BARK UP, 3 rows wide & 5 feet tall.  This stack is 40 feet long.  There is another on the other side of the Spruce trees that is 6 rows wide & 5 feet tall and 20 feet long, mostly because I got some bigger pallets.  There should be enough wood to get us through Winter 2016 & 2017.

I just unloaded a bunch of free used barn tin that I'm going to build a woodshed. Construction starts next week.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't have the time for that shit.  I just stack it 2 or 3 logs deep on some pallets.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#49]

This is all shingle oak. It's all I've cut up so far this year.  This will be burned 2017 at the earliest. If it wasn't soo wet and I could make it to the back 40 without rutting everything up, I would take some pics of this year's and next year's wood. It doesn't look like it,  but there is roughly 7 cords inthe 2.5 stacks shown(those are 8ft wide and 7ft tall.  there's a small one in the background)

ETA: those stacks are full in the center as well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top