Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/12/2015 9:53:11 AM EDT
Cleer IFAK

For the cost of the new gun you were going to buy just for fun & giggles, you can outfit your range bag, every vehicle you own, and your bug out kit with these small, lightweight, and simple to use emergency medical packs. They may not be fun, they may never be used, but they’re the kind of thing that when you need one, you’ll need it right now! As the saying goes, better to have it and not need it…
View Quote

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/category/LE-IFAK
https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/product/ifak/
http://www.amazon.com/Military-IFAK-Individual-First-Aid/dp/B00ABAELZE
http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armor-tactical-epik-ifak-coyote.html#.VSp3z9m9LCQ
http://www.skdtac.com/S-O-Tech-VIPER-Flat-IFAK-p/sot.102.htm

I don't. It's something I keep thinking about getting or putting together, just haven't yet.

Those that have them, do you even know how to use the stuff in it?

It's one of those things you should probably have. But I also walk in the desert without a snake bite kit too...
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I've found medical packs to be useless accessories when carried by people with no medical training.

The last time I saw an accident at a range three guys tried to field dress a huge cut (guy fell into a prairie dog hole on the range) and made a mess of it until I got my hands on him.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've found medical packs to be useless accessories when carried by people with no medical training.

The last time I saw an accident at a range three guys tried to field dress a huge cut (guy fell into a prairie dog hole on the range) and made a mess of it until I got my hands on him.
View Quote

I also remember reading that quick clot and other agents created more of a mess for surgeons to deal with when simple pressure or a tourniquet would have worked.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Of course, why let BAS throw out all that expired gauze?
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I also remember reading that quick clot and other agents created more of a mess for surgeons to deal with when simple pressure or a tourniquet would have worked.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also true, some of the older ones have alumina that should be dialized from the blood because of cell toxicity.

Quik clot is holy shit you're bleeding to death with no help in sight and will die, not bleeding that can be addressed with pressure and a tourniquet.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I carry a bottle of Windex and a tube of Super Glue.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:05:19 AM EDT
[#6]
no and in before the poll
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:06:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, a boo boo kit and an "oh shit" kit. Also have a " ventilated operator kit" in my range bag. I don't carry anything I haven't been trained for.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Also true, some of the older ones have alumina that should be dialized from the blood because of cell toxicity.

Quik clot is holy shit you're bleeding to death with no help in sight and will die, not bleeding that can be addressed with pressure and a tourniquet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I tend to recall it being over used.

Isn't the "philosophy" that it will be used by somebody else on you....
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:08:57 AM EDT
[#9]
In my range bag yes.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a super basic one I take hunting and shooting
H bandage, quick clot bandage, some gauze, sheers
I have no real medical training, but have been advised, shown and practiced with all those by pros

I don't carry anything more advanced
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I carry a bottle of Windex and a tube of Super Glue.
View Quote

I like your style
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's one way of looking at it.

I'm more likely to have an advanced first aid/trauma kit if I'm going off alone and know that bad shit can happen before medics arrive and may have to take care of my own self...
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:14:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
no and in before the poll
View Quote

No poll. I find they kill conversation.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#15]
One lives in the back of my car, attached to my GHB. Its contents are use much more frequently when I am just on the road, or taking a vacation. Rarely is it actual emergencies.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:15:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Dark Angel kit stays in my truck and goes on my belt at the range.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I have kits I put together in both my vehicles and work bag.

At work I carry some supplies in my pants cargo pocket and on my vest.

I spend ALOT of time running a chain saw.  Everytime I run the saw I have a homemade first aid kit on my belt at all times.  Sometimes I am by myself in some remote places and shit can happen.

I find, by and large, the majority of the "pre-made" kids usually include shit that you do not need or shit that the average person has no clue how to use.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a pretty thorough kit I keep in my truck.

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:24:00 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a med bag in my truck for scene response with the fd(EMT) so no....most people all they will ever use are baindaids and maybe a roller gauze bandage and a couple 4x4's

Also every first aid kit needs something to sustain an airway without an airway ya got nothing.

Remember the number 1 killer or Americans is heart disease you are more likely to die because of what's on your fork, your lack of exercise and that you won't quit smoking then by being shot.

That said I do have a CAT tourniquet and quick clot in a kit we got off a state grant.....I honestly doubt I will ever use more then a basic pressure dressing.....but hey I've got it lol
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a rule that all of my backpacks and range bags will have one, all of my vehicles will have a more comprehensive CLS style kit, every set of gear like plate carriers, belts, LBVs, etc. will have at minimum a BOK.    Ive seen too many times where ive needed them.  Keeping them on my bags and car ensure I pretty much always have access to medical supplies.

id say I have around 4 IFAKs, 3 BOKs, and 3 CLS bags, along with a large dedicated medical backpack that goes into the truck for family outings.

Ruck with IFAK

Work PC (newer setup) with BOK

Medical pack

Car CLS style kits

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have kits I put together in both my vehicles and work bag.

At work I carry some supplies in my pants cargo pocket and on my vest.

I spend ALOT of time running a chain saw.  Everytime I run the saw I have a homemade first aid kit on my belt at all times.  Sometimes I am by myself in some remote places and shit can happen.

I find, by and large, the majority of the "pre-made" kids usually include shit that you do not need or shit that the average person has no clue how to use.
View Quote

Like advanced airways and needle decompression kits
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have a med bag in my truck for scene response with the fd(EMT) so no....most people all they will ever use are baindaids and maybe a roller gauze bandage and a couple 4x4's

Also every first aid kit needs something to sustain an airway without an airway ya got nothing.

Remember the number 1 killer or Americans is heart disease you are more likely to die because of what's on your fork, your lack of exercise and that you won't quit smoking then by being shot.

That said I do have a CAT tourniquet and quick clot in a kit we got off a state grant.....I honestly doubt I will ever use more then a basic pressure dressing.....but hey I've got it lol
View Quote

Funny cuz I keep band aids, gloves, Benadryl and Asa in my little ziplock bag

How many people know how to drop an advanced airway?
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#23]
No, but I will soon.

I need some training on field first aid soon though.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a rule that all of my backpacks and range bags will have one, all of my vehicles will have a more comprehensive CLS style kit, every set of gear like plate carriers, LBVs, etc. will have at minimum a BOK.    Ive seen too many times where ive needed them.  Keeping them on my bags and car ensure I pretty much always have access to medical supplies.

id say I have around 4 IFAKs, 3 BOKs, and 3 CLS bags, along with a large dedicated medical backpack that goes into the truck for family outings.

Work PC (newer setup)
<a href="http://s107.photobucket.com/user/daemon734/media/DSCF0022_zpsafc40894.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/daemon734/DSCF0022_zpsafc40894.jpg</a>

View Quote

BOK/CLS?
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

BOK/CLS?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a rule that all of my backpacks and range bags will have one, all of my vehicles will have a more comprehensive CLS style kit, every set of gear like plate carriers, LBVs, etc. will have at minimum a BOK.    Ive seen too many times where ive needed them.  Keeping them on my bags and car ensure I pretty much always have access to medical supplies.

Work PC (newer setup)
<a href="http://s107.photobucket.com/user/daemon734/media/DSCF0022_zpsafc40894.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/daemon734/DSCF0022_zpsafc40894.jpg</a>

BOK/CLS?

Blowout kit, a little smaller than an IFAk, just enough to stop a gunshot wound.  CLS= combat lifesaver bag, larger bag with varying medical shit, in the military a squad or platoon level kit.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is the idea of looking at it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Blowout kit, a little smaller than an IFAk, just enough to stop a gunshot wound.  CLS= combat lifesaver bag, larger bag with varying medical shit, in the military a team or platoon level kit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Work PC (newer setup)

BOK/CLS?

Blowout kit, a little smaller than an IFAk, just enough to stop a gunshot wound.  CLS= combat lifesaver bag, larger bag with varying medical shit, in the military a team or platoon level kit.

Oh gotcha. Not up on my abbreviations

At work I just go to the supply room. Anything worse I just call a code but we are doing more ACLS, not so much trauma.

Occasionally something happens pretty gnarly, like an AV fistula opens up and coats the room in blood... But that some hard pressure and emergent surgery.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a couple IFAKs. I don't have any medical training so they're super basic kits. If I can't put pressure and a tourniquet on it, you're fucked (or I'm fucked too).  

I'm going out into the desert today. What should I have in my snake bite kit?
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have a couple IFAKs. I don't have any medical training so they're super basic kits. If I can't put pressure and a tourniquet on it, you're fucked (or I'm fucked too).  

View Quote

Cell phone and insurance.

You'll get a life flight to the nearest snake bite capable ICU. Spend a night or two getting antivenom in an ICU

Came across a a few bulls yesterday. No snakes though. Just means looking bulls...

You'd be best off with good shoes/boots and pants.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You'll get a life flight to the nearest snake bite capable ICU. Spend a night or two getting antivenom in an ICU
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have both of those!

You workin today? I may try to find those shooting spots you showed me here in a bit.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have both of those!

You workin today? I may try to find those shooting spots you showed me here in a bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have both of those!

No, going to that dinosaur thing downtown with the wife and kids.

Don't bother with that 200 yard range, lots of cattle and bulls out there.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have both of those!

Perfect. I'm starving.

Have fun buddy.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:32:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Perfect. I'm starving.

Have fun buddy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have both of those!

Perfect. I'm starving.

Have fun buddy.

Lol good luck. We drove down the road and those bulls never took their eyes off of us. Had it just been heifers we would have stayed...
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#34]
... of course

In Arizona, your go-to company is the Tactical Medic in Mesa.

Stock up on all related provisions there
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#35]
What road were those on again real quick? I'm pretty sure I can get there but I suck with road names.

And sorry for getting you off course here. Shoulda sent a pm.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Yes

2 CAT TQs
4" Izzy bandage
2 rolls Kerlix gauze
several 4x4 pads
tape
nitrile gloves
couple sizes of NPAs w/ lube
sharpie

As you can see, it's nothing special. I keep a copy of this in my school/work bag as well as my nail bags. Most of this is set up for what I've seen on the job. I've seen 2 traumatic amputations and lots of cuts/abrasions, but have yet to see a need for a chest seal, combitube, or decompression needle.

A more GSW oriented kit is kept on my PC, battle belt, and range bag. I also keep a more comprehensive FAK in my car.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a rule that all of my backpacks and range bags will have one, all of my vehicles will have a more comprehensive CLS style kit, every set of gear like plate carriers, belts, LBVs, etc. will have at minimum a BOK.    Ive seen too many times where ive needed them.  Keeping them on my bags and car ensure I pretty much always have access to medical supplies.

Ruck with IFAK
<a href="http://s107.photobucket.com/user/daemon734/media/75fc8765-4a4b-46aa-823c-29c2f9fcccf5_zps2fb6df71.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/daemon734/75fc8765-4a4b-46aa-823c-29c2f9fcccf5_zps2fb6df71.jpg</a>

Medical pack
<a href="http://s107.photobucket.com/user/daemon734/media/DSCF2613_zps17427d88-1_zpsda218c78.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/daemon734/DSCF2613_zps17427d88-1_zpsda218c78.jpg</a>

Car CLS style kits

<a href="http://s107.photobucket.com/user/daemon734/media/DSCF1734.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/daemon734/DSCF1734.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s107.photobucket.com/user/daemon734/media/DSCF1731.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/daemon734/DSCF1731.jpg</a>
View Quote

Who makes that medical pack?
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Yes and yes.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What road were those on again real quick? I'm pretty sure I can get there but I suck with road names.

And sorry for getting you off course here. Shoulda sent a pm.
View Quote

IM sent
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An npa or an opa with a pocket mask or better yet a bvm is hardly advanced....and will keep an airway until you get AlS on scene
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ruck with IFAK
<a href="http://s107.photobucket.com/user/daemon734/media/75fc8765-4a4b-46aa-823c-29c2f9fcccf5_zps2fb6df71.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/daemon734/75fc8765-4a4b-46aa-823c-29c2f9fcccf5_zps2fb6df71.jpg</a>

Medical pack
<a href="http://s107.photobucket.com/user/daemon734/media/DSCF2613_zps17427d88-1_zpsda218c78.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/daemon734/DSCF2613_zps17427d88-1_zpsda218c78.jpg</a>

Car CLS style kits

<a href="http://s107.photobucket.com/user/daemon734/media/DSCF1734.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/daemon734/DSCF1734.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s107.photobucket.com/user/daemon734/media/DSCF1731.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/daemon734/DSCF1731.jpg</a>

Voodoo tactical, but its a copy of the blackhawk stomp 2.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:15:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Voodoo tactical, but its a copy of the blackhawk stomp 2.
View Quote

How's the quality on that?
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

An npa or an opa with a pocket mask or better yet a bvm is hardly advanced....and will keep an airway until you get AlS on scene
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they are unconscious I'll just do compressions. I ain't putting my mouth on anyone I don't know.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#44]
ie: why i said Pocket mask or a BVM....

and no i would not either...but that's why i have a BVM in my med bag
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#45]
No.  I do keep a medium AMK first aid pouch in the car.  I am not trained for anything invasive like airway stuff or anything intravenous etc.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

The tools mean nothing if you don't know how to use them. I've got one of those kits that I ended up with when I bought a bunch of random stuff, I've held on to it but I wouldn't try and use it. But I guess it's better to have and not need then need and not have.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
ie: why i said Pocket mask or a BVM....

and no i would not either...but that's why i have a BVM in my med bag
View Quote

Yeah if I had one in a two person rescue I'd use it of course. I know some folks carry barriers but no thanks.

If I set up a comprehensive car kit I'll get one way valve to keep in there. A BVM would just take up too much space.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:41:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Having training is way better than  having gear. Get the training FIRST, then you'll know what you need to carry in your kit.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
No.  I do keep a medium AMK first aid pouch in the car.  I am not trained for anything invasive like airway stuff or anything intravenous etc.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

If I got it for free I'd pack a few bags of NS, tubing and some IV start kits. But I'm not a first responder and shit would just go bad long before I every needed it. I mean it's been 34 years and all the people I've coded etc were at work. Not out driving around or shooting.

But I think I should start building up some basic stuff.

A few years ago my youngest busted his face open and is bleeding everywhere. I grab him up, take him to the bathroom. Blood all over and I pause and I'm like, where the fuck is my gauze!?!

Oh, yeah, I'm not at work....

So I grab a roll of toilet paper and done...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top