Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/1/2015 11:55:45 PM EDT
Is a fucking shithole.

Is there any redeeming qualities or places here??

Wishing I would have stayed in northern California / southern Oregon longer.

Update:

We had a great day.

Still plenty of trash and bums, but it kind of grows on a person.

We really enjoyed the waterfront area from the fort down passed the ferry building, lots of touristy crap, but also some legitimate places mixed in to enjoy. We found plenty good food and three places with $1oysters for my wife.

Took the bustop tour around the city... so glad I never had to set foot in tenderloin.

It is a beautiful city at a distance without question, and in many spots up close. It would be served well by a long hot bath for certain however.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I could go the rest of my life without ever going to SF again...
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:00:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Chinatown and dim sum
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:00:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is a fucking shithole.

View Quote

I keep waiting for the mushroom cloud when I look west!
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:02:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Bathhouses are not your thing?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:02:48 AM EDT
[#5]
If you deny that it is a beautiful city then you may need your eyes checked.

The people and politics are what destroy that entire state.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:03:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:04:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm sorry you can't afford a nice place to stay and good entertainment while here.

But there are plenty of places to hike that are free. Go down to lands end and walk around the sutra baths.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:05:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I live about an hour from it.  I'm not fond of the traffic and politics, but it's a city like no other I've been to.  Very unique and beautiful.  The food is arguably the best in the country, and some instances the best in the world.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#9]
So why exactly is SF a shithole?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:09:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm not even sure how someone could be so ignorant. I guess when you think you've seen it all, something comes along and surprises you.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:10:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I stay there a couple weekends a year, just for fun..

Of course, I stay in the Fairmont, and dont stray into the shitty areas.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:11:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:11:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll bite, but this is again based on people and politics.

Homeless using it as their own toilet/drug den.
Petty crime everywhere.
Neutered police force.
Expensive.
Truly batshit insane liberals. Everywhere.

And I'm being nice with this list.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:11:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Routinely called one of the worlds most beautiful cities.
View Quote

It is.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:14:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Great food though.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:14:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is a fucking shithole.

View Quote

Yep. That place sucks. Nothing worth seeing while having to smell piss, trash, and shit all day.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:15:08 AM EDT
[#17]
This thread makes me want an Irish coffee from the Buena Vista
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:16:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's one of the filthiest cities I have ever been too...  right behind NOLA and D.C., and about the same as Chicago.

I'm here for another two days.

suggestions welcomed.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:17:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you deny that it is a beautiful city then you may need your eyes checked.

The people and politics are what destroy that entire state.
View Quote

I think that's exactly what OP means.  I hope Sacramento slides into the ocean along with Moonbeam.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:17:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is a fucking shithole.

View Quote

Go to millers on polk!  They were featured on Diners drive ins and dives.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:20:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's one of the filthiest cities I have ever been too...  right behind NOLA and D.C., and about the same as Chicago.

suggestions welcomed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

suggestions welcomed.

What do you like? I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:22:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:23:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:26:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Suggestions?

For food lovers it's paradise.  Chinatown, Tartine bakery, Blue Bottle Coffee, Pier 39, Soma, The Slanted Door, and the list goes on.

Napa and Sonoma are right down the road.

Pointe Reyes and Muir Woods are just north of there.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:28:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Go to Alameida.  See USS Hornet.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:29:21 AM EDT
[#26]
I like wandering around in SF, it's a nice place for that.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:30:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I like wandering around in SF, it's a nice place for that.
View Quote

Hunter's Point is nice. Lots of like minded gun folks there.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:33:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Where the hell are you staying that you think San Francisco is a filthy as Chicago?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where the hell are you staying that you think San Francisco is a filthy as Chicago?

Actually I'm staying in Berkeley, and it's fairly clean and tame here.

Chinatown was unreal filthy.

Downtown areas less so but I was suprised it wasn't considerably cleaner.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:35:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take it you've never been to Chinatown in NYC? Talk about filthy. The yellow traffic lights are almost black from filth.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:36:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Don't ever visit actual China.  

I wouldn't live in SF, but it is a fun city and I would never say it's a shit hole.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:38:47 AM EDT
[#31]
I had fun at Fisherman's warf. They used to have cool old boats you could go see and you could get crab and lobsters from the asians right off the boat.

I have to admit, I have always thought that California was the most beautiful place in the world.

Palo Alto? Fucking loved it.

San Jose? Awesome.

I even liked it when I went to L.A. I loved it. I stayed in a suburb, I can't remember which one, but it was great. Peaceful, beautiful weather, awesome. I got up in the morning, walked around, went to breakfast and had an omelet on the street, went and saw the architecture, holy SHIT! Went to Hollywood, came back, showered and went to the Dodgers game. Came back and the grocery store across the street from the hotel was closing, but the manager let me in to grab a 6 pack. Everyone I met was friendly and no one gave me shit except the old lady who lived up the street from the Hollywood sign because she was obviously sick of people blocking her way every time she came home.

I stayed in whatever city this is the City Hall building for. I took this picture because I couldn't believe that this was their fucking city hall! I stayed two block over.

If California weren't all fucked up politically, I'd move there in a heartbeat.

But, I am a native Californian.

Born in Victorville.

But I haven't been to Victorville since '77.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:42:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Take it you've never been to Chinatown in NYC? Talk about filthy. The yellow traffic lights are almost black from filth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really on my "list" (NYC).

We're doing the hop on/off tour tomorrow, I'm sure I'll enjoy some things.

Fishermans wharf / pier 39 is good?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:42:47 AM EDT
[#33]
There's some good soup.

ETA - Come on back up to God's country, aka - The State of Jefferson ...after you get some of Trish's Mini Doughnuts.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:44:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I had fun at Fisherman's warf. They used to have cool old boats you could go see and you could get crab and lobsters from the asians right off the boat.

View Quote

Still do! But I have grown tired of that place and have no need to go there or have it exist(in my mind)!

Spend almost 40years of your entire life in CA and understand why the cities like SF are much of the problem in CA!
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:44:20 AM EDT
[#35]
This thread is gay
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:46:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Super touristy. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl is about all there is to do. And Aquatic Park is pretty cool to see as well as great views of Alcatraz. Other than that, Pier 39 is a bunch of tourists and tourist shops.  Near there, go to FT Point for awesome GGB views and you can go into the fort (not sure of the hours).
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:46:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Enjoy the sights and don't let the hipster politics worry you. Life's too short and there's lot to see.
San Fran is nice, so is Seattle. Hell, I even enjoy NYC. F%$# the  A#@%^&^% that live there..
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:47:56 AM EDT
[#38]
San Francisco before the gay invasion we never asked for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvK_gD3ulaw
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:54:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Super touristy. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl is about all there is to do. And Aquatic Park is pretty cool to see as well as great views of Alcatraz. Other than that, Pier 39 is a bunch of tourists and tourist shops.  Near there, go to FT Point for awesome GGB views and you can go into the fort (not sure of the hours).
View Quote

So where does all the kickass street food hideout then?

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:02:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:04:55 AM EDT
[#41]
I went to San Francisco in the 90s and I had a great time.  California would be awesome without all the Californians.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:06:10 AM EDT
[#42]
I love visiting SF. Walk all over the city. Chinatown, etc. Grab a couple beers at Vesuvio in North Beach. Hit US Restaurant a few blocks away for a good dinner. Check out the North Beach freaks and hit a couple bars with bands. Next day, hit GG Park. Museums. Presidio.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:07:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Google images says that's the City Hall for Pasadena. I thought it was something that started with an "S", but I guess not.

That was nice. I took the train down to the bus station to Dodger Stadium and got a free ride both ways with my Dodger's ticket. And I got to see Clayton Kershaw pitch.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:07:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What kind?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind?

Seafood.

Almost impossible to get good seafood in MN.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:19:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Go try Good Luck Dim Sum,

736 Clement St
San Francisco, CA 94118

The sauce...is like crack
Get there early..once they run out for the day..they close.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:24:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What do you do if you drop your wallet in San Francisco!
View Quote

Kicking it across the bridge to Oakland is not high on the good options list.

I don't see how anybody (with sufficient funding) can't find good things to do.  And there a lot of fairly inexpensive things to do.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:24:11 AM EDT
[#47]
The word "shithole" does not come to mind when I think of San Francisco. Moonbat, brainwashed liberals come to mind. A public school system that would rather school the kids on the fine points of PC and transgenderism than prepare them for higher education comes to mind. Only two neighborhoods meet the definition of "shithole" in my mind. The Tenderloin and Bayview-Hunters Point. As a tourist or businessman, you would have to make one fucked up series of wrong turns to end up in Bayview-Hunters Point, but a few downtown hotels are on the edge of the Tenderloin, so it's possible if one strayed just a few blocks from downtown to end up there, and it meets the definition of "shithole" in many respects, but it's mostly pretty clean. San Francisco received some criticism in the late 90's for not keeping up trash collection and keeping the streets clean, but that was then. I live about 30 minutes east of San Francisco and go there a few times a year just to see the sights, and it's mostly clean. In fact, it's one of the most scenic cities in the world. In the summer it's packed with tourists from all around the world. And the tourist areas get a lot of attention from city gardeners and cleaners, etc. North Beach, The Marina -- places like that are always clean.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:28:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The word "shithole" does not come to mind when I think of San Francisco. Moonbat, brainwashed liberals come to mind. A public school system that would rather school the kids on the fine points of PC and transgenderism than prepare them for higher education comes to mind. Only two neighborhoods meet the definition of "shithole" in my mind. The Tenderloin and Bayview-Hunters Point. As a tourist or businessman, you would have to make one fucked up series of wrong turns to end up in Bayview-Hunters Point, but a few downtown hotels are on the edge of the Tenderloin, so it's possible if one strayed just a few blocks from downtown to end up there, and it meets the definition of "shithole" in many respects, but it's mostly pretty clean. San Francisco received some criticism in the late 90's for not keeping up trash collection and keeping the streets clean, but that was then. I live about 30 minutes east of San Francisco and go there a few times a year just to see the sights, and it's mostly clean. In fact, it's one of the most scenic cities in the world. In the summer it's packed with tourists from all around the world. And the tourist areas get a lot of attention from city gardeners and cleaners, etc. North Beach, The Marina -- places like that are always clean.
View Quote

I'd say SoMa is mostly a shithole.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:31:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Have breakfast at Sears (Not the department store) 439 Powell St
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:31:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

suggestions welcomed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

suggestions welcomed.

Have you been out to the USS San Francisco monument at Lands End?, Fort Point, watched the weather from Twin Peaks? watched sunset from Treasure Island?  Japanese Tea Garden, Institute of Science in Golden Gate Park, walk across the Golden Gate Bridge.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top