Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:03:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I do because I've heard stories of waiters having to share tips or putting tips in a pool.  Fuck that, I'm tipping you not the whole restaurant.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:07:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I have cash, I leave cash and the tip line I write "cash" so they can report whatever they want.
View Quote

this.  and to keep any who may be less than honest from writing in their own tip on my card
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:16:37 AM EDT
[#3]
fuckem. I pay taxes why shouldnt they? also a lot of places pool the tips and I am sure they are taxed anyways. I almost never carry cash anyways.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:23:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
fuckem. I pay taxes why shouldnt they? also a lot of places pool the tips and I am sure they are taxed anyways. I almost never carry cash anyways.
View Quote

They don't pool tips.  They are taxed on declared income.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:27:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I do and I write Cash on the tip line bold and clear. I've heard too many stories of wait staff changing the tip amount on the receipt (adding a 1 in the ten spot,etc.) so by putting cash on the line and on the table, it's one less thing to worry about happening.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:29:57 AM EDT
[#6]
If you pay with plastic...well it is a shitstorm and it can get counted against whatever the waitress is paid hourly. Pay cash and the waitress gets her money immediately without the bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:35:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Same here, and for the same reason.

Except I explicitly do it so they can not claim it on their taxes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use a credit card for just about everything nowadays.  Even the bill at restaurants.  
One exception is tipping at restaurants.  When I have cash, I try to leave cash.  I figure the server can claim it on his taxes as required.  

The server's handling of their taxes is none of my business.

Also, I write "CASH" on the tip line instead of writing the amount left as a tip.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:08:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I usually put it on the CC.  I can keep track that way and I get double cash back points.  Besides, I don't carry that much cash anymore.  About the only place I use cash is at the gas station and buying small stuff where it's less than the CC minimum.

I pay taxes and so should the waitress.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:46:05 AM EDT
[#9]
CASH is the only legitimate tip.

Your plastic is just someone ELSE's pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:55:07 AM EDT
[#10]
generally, yes.  maybe 70% of the time.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:57:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which gets declared for them. At minimum wage of course.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:02:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If I have cash, I leave cash and the tip line I write "cash" so they can report whatever they want.
View Quote

I leave cash, too, but I always just drew a line through the tip line...I think I like your idea better.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:04:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Credit card always.  If you pay in cash, the server can stiff the busboy and everyone else that is supposed to get a taste.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 4:59:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I use a credit card for just about everything nowadays.  Even the bill at restaurants.  
One exception is tipping at restaurants.  When I have cash, I try to leave cash.  I figure the server can claim it on his taxes as required.  

Most servers seem to live on the edge, so:
- If I leave $5 cash, the server can use that $5 immediately.  
- If I leave $5 on the card, the server won't see $3 until payday.  The other $2 he may not see until he gets his tax refund in April 2016.  

Any thoughts here?  
View Quote

1. Oftentimes, the restaurant fails to give the server the tip if it is on your credit card.
2. The restaurant is required to charge sales tax on the tip which you put on the card.
3. "To Insure Prompt Service:" Next time I'm in that restaurant, the server will remember me!

When presented with the credit card slip, I write "CASH" on the line that says TIP.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:02:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

My mom used to write (and teach) taxes for H&R Block. She says that the IRS has a table which tells them how much a person will make on tips, based on how much revenue the restaurant makes.

She came home once with an unnerving story: she had a client who worked in a restaurant that didn't allow tipping,yet the Infernal Revenue Service made her pay taxes on uncollected tips! The poor girl left the office in tears.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:06:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Always.  It is not my job to force them to claim it.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:06:56 AM EDT
[#17]
If you have a great meal.  Tip the chef.  Tell them your name.  Ask to speak to the chef.  Give the money directly to the kitchen staff.  If you give it to the server to pass it on...Likely hood is that the chef will never see the money.  IF you tip the chef, give them your name.   Next time that you dine there.  Tell the server to mention to the chef hey.   So and so is here.  You will have better food.  Plus the chef will probably remember you and make sure that you get better service.  

I say this because, servers make more money than the chef most times.  When ever I see regular customers in my place.  (I work in an open kitchen.) I remember those that are good to me, and I always send them something special.  So, yes it is good to leave a good tip to the server.  But please.  Don't forget the chef!
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:33:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Always.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:07:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I leave cash
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:14:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Every restaurant I deliver to, tips out there servers in cash at the end of their shift. Even their CC tips.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:20:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Always.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:24:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I give tip in cash and write down "no tip" on the bill.

FIRS and FBHO
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:25:29 AM EDT
[#23]
I just put it on the CC.  But, if my wife is with me, she insist I leave the TIP in cash.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:30:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

- If I leave $5 on the card, the server won't see $3 until payday.  The other $2 he may not see until he gets his tax refund in April 2016.  

Any thoughts here?  
View Quote

The servers tax or financial situation is not even on my radar. I always tip 20% and it's either cash or credit .
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:07:23 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't tip

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:51:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Always--and I NEVER leave it on the table.  Many years ago I saw a scumbag walk past a table and very discreetly grab the tip money.  He never even looked down.  As I saw it I told him to put it back.  Since then I always pay the bill, then seek out the server and hand it to him/her.
View Quote

I am the same way. I do not like to leave cash tip money on the table. I always tip in cash.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:56:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

same here.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:00:20 AM EDT
[#28]
My fiancee is a waitress, and where she works credit card tips are paid out at the end of every shift in cash.  She has to claim at least 10% of her sales as tips, even if she doesn't make a 10% tip average for the day - which is really rare, but has happened.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:00:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Try to leave cash.

A while back my wife and I went out to lunch and she a CC to pay.  She also used the CC for tip.  When she looked at the statement later that week the waiter had taken MORE in tip than she had written it out for.  She called and complained, got the money back, but still that's BS.

From then on it was cash.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:10:08 AM EDT
[#30]
For those of you who write CASH or ON TABLE on your receipt, you realize you're defeating the purpose of leaving them cash for a tip?  If the purpose is to give them the opportunity to claim (or not) on their taxes, you just left a record that they did, in fact, get a tip for that sale.

Quoted:
My fiancee is a waitress, and where she works credit card tips are paid out at the end of every shift in cash.  She has to claim at least 10% of her sales as tips, even if she doesn't make a 10% tip average for the day - which is really rare, but has happened.
View Quote

Mrs Limaxray worked as a waitress in college at a truck stop.  Rarely got to the 10%.  But she kept a daily log of her tips claimed what she actually got (averaged about 7%), and when the IRS audited her, she just sent them a photocopy of the logbook, we never heard another word about it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly this

I've had servers thank me for doing it this way, so that's how I do it. I certainly wouldn't want to serve picky, rude assholes for a living, so whatever I can do to express my appreciation is worth it.

If the service was exceptional, I also try to make it a point to find the manager on my way out to say so.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:21:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you pay with plastic...well it is a shitstorm and it can get counted against whatever the waitress is paid hourly. Pay cash and the waitress gets her money immediately without the bullshit.
View Quote

How is it counted against them?  They have an hourly salary, that although low is still their hourly salary.

I only tip with my credit card.

1.  It makes it more likely they will pay taxes on their full income, just like I and most other people that work do.  Why should they get an exception?
2.  For those that complain they don't receive the tip instantly, well too bad.  I don't receive my wages every day either, I receive them every two weeks,  Even McDonalds employees don't receive their paycheck every day.  If this creates a hardship then they should learn to budget, or change jobs if they don't like it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:24:15 AM EDT
[#33]
I used to be a lot better about that, but admittedly I don't carry the same amount of cash on me that I used to.

I guess it's the fact that the ATM machines charge huge fees now and my bank doesn't have a lot of ATM's around town.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:26:38 AM EDT
[#34]
I leave cash tips unless I happen to not have any of the right denomination on me.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#35]
So much tax fraud up in here.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#36]
never thought of it always do the card thanks !
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Either cash or on a debit card.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:32:17 AM EDT
[#38]
OK, now that we've established that the cool kids leave cash for the waitress, please allow me to derail . . .

Do you pay for gun transfers with cash or on the card?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#39]
I always tip in cash.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Yes, unless it's a woman, they get 77 cents.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#42]
The only time I put a tip on the card is for a business dinner.

Anything personal, cash, always.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

This
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:43:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Any thoughts here?  
View Quote

I use cash for all tips. It's a tip, the man don't need to know I gifted some cash to someone for busting their ass for me!
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#45]
I don't carry much cash.  

When I do and I eat at a restaurant, I leave a cash tip.

If I'm not, (95% of the time), I write in the tip in the tip line.

I'm sorry they get taxed on it, but I have waaaaaaay too much going on in my life to remember to carry a wad of ones and fives to throw on the table as a tip.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#46]
i leave them cash, so they have it right now, without tax.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Why are so many people going out of their way to help waiters cheat on their taxes?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#48]
usually I leave cash so I know the server has a better chance of getting it all. Last time we ate out I didn't have enough cash on me to pay what I wanted to leave so I just put the tip on the card.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#49]
People that tip with coins are the lowest form of scum.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This....

if I have cash I tip in cash
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top