Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2015 10:09:38 PM EDT
Looking at the Warlock 2, but considering the Spectre 2 also.

What other cans in the under 400 range perform in the same ballpark and are user serviceable?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Sparrow was under 400 for me. Not sure of msrp.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're going to get one of those two, get the Spectre.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the YHM Stinger and it is very quiet on my SR-22. I think it was $375.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I would do for my first can.  

And I own both of 'em.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:16:34 PM EDT
[#5]
My neighbor has a Mack Bros Lima. It is closer to $475 and all steel so it's kinda heavy, but that thing is stupid quiet.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#7]

I'll be ordering that soon, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I has the Sparrow and an Element II. Sparrow all the way due to ease of cleaning.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to try out one of these:

http://innovativearms.com/silencers/apex-s/

Hopefully only 8 months left to wait.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#10]
This is what I would get for $199.00

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:51:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://www.huntertownarms.com/guardian22.php

View Quote

I have that and a Spectre II, get a Spectre II, a great can.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:00:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have the older model or the newest one. They made a lot of improvements in the new ones.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:02:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Spectre 2 is definitely where it's at. Reasonably light weight, easy to clean, great support/CS, and pretty reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Form 1
Under $300 including stamp
User serviceable
Really freaking quiet
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:46:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mine is days away I'm hoping.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Big plus 1 on the specter 2.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:56:39 PM EDT
[#17]
You've already got my opinion, but I'll say it again - specter 2

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:59:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I picked up my Sparrow22 for a little over 400.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:00:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a Tactical Innovations TAC65 .22 can.  Was my first and has treated me very well.  Comes apart for cleaning and makes things nice and quiet.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:09:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do you have the older model or the newest one. They made a lot of improvements in the new ones.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They fucking suck dick for customer service.  Avoid HA like the plague.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:12:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't speak to HA's customer service, but I can speak to Silencerco's.  They want you to be happy.  They will take care of you.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:15:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

... This. Easy maintenance, quiet, durable and affordable

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:16:57 AM EDT
[#23]

I like my Spectre 2
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:17:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I have no complaints with my 556 can from Huntertown Arms
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:20:14 AM EDT
[#25]
2x spectre 2's here.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:22:27 AM EDT
[#26]
+1 on the Sparrow.  ( I don't have a ton of experience with the other ones)

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:26:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Warlock II, re-cored Warlock I, and Osprey 45.

It was a good day.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:30:59 AM EDT
[#28]
I got a sparrow and been a great choice. Super user friendly for cleaning. Just one suggestion is don't wait too long between cleanings and it makes things so much easier
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:51:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It was a good day.

http://m-mason.smugmug.com/Miscellaneous/Misc-1/i-H4CgCJ7/0/L/20150329-GUNS2758-L.jpg
View Quote

Who did the recore?

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:53:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agree!
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:34:54 AM EDT
[#31]
My choice is a Wells Custom Gun Makers NOMAD for $225.    http://www.wellscustomguns.com

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:59:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Who did the recore?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a good day.

http://m-mason.smugmug.com/Miscellaneous/Misc-1/i-H4CgCJ7/0/L/20150329-GUNS2758-L.jpg

Who did the recore?

Dan at Hair Trigger.  It's got a steel mono-core now.

Unfortunately, he's out of business now.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:16:35 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm waiting for approval on a Spectre II right now. I went with that one since it will be spending time on a 22 Hornet. Haven't shot it, but fit and finish seems to be very good.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:48:03 AM EDT
[#34]
I've got a Prodigy I bought 3 years ago and really like it. I've looked at the Sparrow's, they are sweet and if I had to do it over again I'd have no problem buying one of those.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have no complaints with my 556 can from Huntertown Arms
View Quote

Neither did I until I had a small problem. Emailed them about 7-8 months ago and zero response.  To add insult to injury, every once in a while I will get an email from them telling me they received my inquiry and they'll get back to me as soon as possible.  

There have been threads and threads from people with the same and more.  It's not an aberration, its the way they operate. Fuck Huntertown Arms.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:50:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Under 400... what?

Decibels? They all are.
MM in length? not sure about that, I think in inches....

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:56:36 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm  going to go with an SLR Rifleworks Aero SS soon. has stainless steel baffles and is only $249. If it's made as well as their rails, it should be good to go.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Under 400... what?

Decibels? They all are.

MM in length? not sure about that, I think in inches....

View Quote
Federal Reserve Notes

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a Sparrow SS, and if I did it again, I would probably go with the Spectre II, since the price has gone down on them with Silencer Shop. When I bought mine a year ago, they were pretty close in price. I like the monocore of the Sparrow, but I like greenbacks better.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:38:20 AM EDT
[#40]
OP - you understand the NEED for a serviceable (cleanable) 22 can;  they literally fill up with lead/carbon over time if not cleaned.

Here is something I wish I'd understood before I bought a 22 can:

-if it's for a pistol, you want the LIGHTEST can.  That means aluminum construction, or Titanium/aluminum alloy.  Be careful how you clean it.

-if it's for a rifle, the weight won't be as noticeable so it really does not matter.  Steel is fine and less sensitive to brutal cleaning methods.

Most current cans are quiet and most come apart.  Right now it is a competitive market.  41p will kill off much of the market when it's introduced later this year.  And there won't be any outcry like with the greentip ban; the cavalry is not comming to save you from 41p.  No one is.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OP - you understand the NEED for a serviceable (cleanable) 22 can;  they literally fill up with lead/carbon over time if not cleaned.
View Quote

That goes without saying, and most current production 22 cans can be disassembled at this point.

The main criteria to narrow them down should be materials and monocore versus stacked construction, for cleaning purposes. You need stainless if you're going to use certain chemicals, and stacked baffles are easier to clean in tumblers. Materials and design impact weight as well, though none of them are heavy.

Differences in sound levels and "first round pop" are minor IMO.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

-if it's for a pistol, you want the LIGHTEST can.  That means aluminum construction, or Titanium/aluminum alloy.  Be careful how you clean it.

-if it's for a rifle, the weight won't be as noticeable so it really does not matter.  Steel is fine and less sensitive to brutal cleaning methods.

Most current cans are quiet and most come apart.  Right now it is a competitive market.  41p will kill off much of the market when it's introduced later this year.  And there won't be any outcry like with the greentip ban; the cavalry is not comming to save you from 41p.  No one is.
View Quote
That's why I like the Warlock 2.  User servicable and 3oz of weight.

My CLEO signs, bought a MG before so that stuff doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That's why I like the Warlock 2.  User servicable and 3oz of weight.   My CLEO signs, bought a MG before so that stuff doesn't bother me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I like the Warlock 2.  User servicable and 3oz of weight.   My CLEO signs, bought a MG before so that stuff doesn't bother me.

is 41p the atf restructuring trusts?      if it is, kentucky recently passed a law requiring leo to sign off on all nfa paperwork within 15 days IIRC, unless they can show your a criminal etc.   where before it was a " may " sign thing.. now its a "shall" sign thing. which is good, because im planning on starting up some nfa soon. should have a trust soon, but if the atf changes the trust thing, it might be worthless, and have to go thru chief leo etc.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

41p has been pushed back every time. Who's to say it won't be pushed back again?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:00:04 AM EDT
[#45]
I already own a licensed investigation/security agency and we're incorporated but I went ahead with the F4 Trust anyway because I didn't want my son to have any problems inheriting it if I were to die young.

Cans are perfectly legal in OK, but out local LEO's believe in the "Department of Just-Us" but if you're a civilian citizen and don't have a CURRENT commission (not retired LEO) then you're just "little people" as far as they're concerned and you're not worthy of Constitutional Rights.

"Hey Chief, lookie what I just got...yep, it's in your jurisdiction and BTW, FUCK YOU!"
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Cans are perfectly legal in OK, but out local LEO's believe in the "Department of Just-Us" and if you don't have a CURRENT commission (not retired LEO) then you're just fucked as far as they're concerned.
View Quote

The police chief in my county won't even sign for his own, current employees.

At least he's consistent.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#47]
I want to say the LGS has the Spectre for $179, but I'm not 100% sure on the model.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

You've already got my opinion, but I'll say it again - specter 2

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top