Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2015 9:18:08 PM EDT
So my 1999 Chevy Tahoe with 247,000 miles is going to start falling apart soon. I bought the thing since I was 16, so it has served me well.

I'm a buy and drive until it's toast kind of guy. I have $15k cash and want to ultimately stay under twenty. I only make $80K, so please don't recommend me something that costs $60k so I can impress people I've never met.

Not looking for anything new, just something that is newer/ has less miles on it than that Tahoe.

I'm looking along the lines of a 4 Toyota 4Runner or Honda Pilot.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Truck
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Honda Pilot is a mid-sized crossover (SUV body on car chassis from the Honda Accord) and a Toyota 4Runner is a midsized SUV on a Land Cruiser chassis. I know there is some confusion on what consititues a crossover vs. an SUV.

Definition: "A crossover is based on a car's platform, while an SUV uses the chassis of a truck. The result is that crossovers use "unibody" architecture, meaning the body and frame are one piece, while SUVs use a "body on frame" design. In that case, the body is built separately from the frame and placed together later."

So first thing you need to decide is if you want a midsized Crossover or a midsized SUV?

Do you want 4x4 or 2 wheel drive?

I've always read that the sweet spot for car value depreciation is 3 - 5 years.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're ghey get a subaru.  Love, it's what makes a subaru, a subaru.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#4]
We have a 2004 4Runner V8 and 2013 Pilot.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#5]
How about a new Tahoe? The 07+ ones look great. and ride nice.. plus can be had well below your price point.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:29:49 PM EDT
[#6]
When I lived in MO, I needed 4x4.

Now until the foreseeable future, I'll be living places that don't require it at all. It's nice to have the option though. I would just like to be able to haul my canoe and kayaks, and tow my 5x8 trailer.

I've looked at the subarus. The models I like are a bit out of my price range.

Quoted:
We have a 2004 4Runner V8 and 2013 Pilot.

View Quote

Which one do you like better?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:51:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like full size chevy's have been good to you.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:19:14 AM EDT
[#8]
My sample size is one.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:50:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not sure you can find a good 4 Runner without a ton of miles for under $20k but it would be worth looking.  Not great mileage but otherwise it is a great vehicle.  That's what I plan on getting if my Pathfinder gives up on me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top