BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:58:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
IMO adults who do this around their own children are complete trash. I understand if you have no children you might not know how to turn it off in public but personally even before I had a child I did my best not to use any foul language around children.

I have a 5 year old and understand you cannot shelter her from every bad thing out there but last night their was a family sitting beside of us at chic-fila and they were relentless with dropping F bombs every 2 minutes and they had 2 little ones with them.

What do you do in this situation?

View Quote

Your second paragraph is why I don't censor myself in front of kids (mine or others). I grew up in a very strict christian household, and I started using profanity regardless... I'm not blind from the fact that kids will hear it whether from me or someone else.

As for your question; I would continue my meal, and go on with my life jimmies unrustled and panties unwadded...
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 4:15:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While letting it fly in front of little kids may not be preferable behavior, there are a fuckton of high horses in here...
View Quote

Surely you Fib........

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:09:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Sometimes things just happen and just be sure to apologize if you do. It shows people you're not perfect and how to handle mistakes when you make them. A lot worse can happen in life then  a kid to hear a bad word.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

creative is saying cheese and crackers instead of dammit, or fudge instead of fuck, or dawson dammit, instead of the alternative.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

I don't talk that way around adults, either.

Profanity is a verbal crutch for the inarticulate.

Exactly.

Wrong: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2625581/Swearing-emotional-creative-language-say-researchers-claim-GOOD-you.html

I have almost 3 year old twin boys and I do my best not to swear around them; though a "damnit" slips out every once in awhile when I stub my toe on something they dragged out in the floor.

creative is saying cheese and crackers instead of dammit, or fudge instead of fuck, or dawson dammit, instead of the alternative.

Ok, Flanders.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#5]
No.  And not around women either.

Ladies and children should not hear this from men.

I have to hear it from other men in the group before I use that language.

In my younger days especially in the Army, my language was so bad I wondered if I would be able to speak English again.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Now there is an opportunity for introspection.

Why do you feel the need to be critical of those who try to maintain some civil standards of decency in their speech?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
While letting it fly in front of little kids may not be preferable behavior, there are a fuckton of high horses in here...

Why do you feel the need to be critical of those who try to maintain some civil standards of decency in their speech?

because I look down on decorum as an artifice
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I try not use profanity in front of children, or in public either but nobody's perfect. I live right next door to a Pizza Hut, and my driveway is close to their parking lot.  I was under my truck changing the oil and oil filter one day when...
The oily filter full of dirty hot oil slipped out of my hand and doused my face, glasses and shirt with oil.  I let out a string of more curse words than I had spoken in all of the previous year combined, as I quickly crawled out from under my truck to get the oil out of my eyes.
As I stood up, I saw a woman with 3 small kids standing in the parking lot staring at me.  The woman just said "you should be ashamed of yourself"!  I was still pissed, but responded with a sincere apology for saying such bad words in front of her and her children.  She smiled and said "apology accepted, and there were a couple in there that I've never heard before".

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coming from a guy with the username "Brohawk".

Step down off your pedestal and join us peasants for a bit. I understand formalities with new associates, but talking like that all the time? All words have their place.

ETA - Going to go ahead and self-edit, I digressed, but the point still stands. To say that people who curse are inarticulate is an asinine assertion.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:55:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And thus our civilization continues to swirl around the toilet bowl.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

because I look down on decorum as an artifice

And thus our civilization continues to swirl around the toilet bowl.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Kids these days swear more than I do..
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Trying to understand why some guys get so butthurt (can I say that?) when someone chooses not to use foul language.

Not comprehending...
View Quote

Who's butthurt over that? seems like the vast majority of butthurt  stems from ppl not conforming to puritanical  language standards from ppl that think they can demand it of others.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#18]
People that curse a lot in regular conversation come off as low end to me. I curse from time to time, like anyone, but if you're constantly dropping the F bomb...well it doesn't sound good. My girlfriend never curses and I couldn't respect her more. Its very lady like.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I disagree entirely. They are words just like any other. They have definable definitions and uses. Excluding them from your vocabulary to sound verbose makes you seem like an inarticulate fuck.

Notice the effectiveness of the word? Knave is an acceptable substitute, yet, it isn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

I disagree entirely. They are words just like any other. They have definable definitions and uses. Excluding them from your vocabulary to sound verbose makes you seem like an inarticulate fuck.

Notice the effectiveness of the word? Knave is an acceptable substitute, yet, it isn't.

Fuck is a word that has no many meaning and uses, it just cannot be cut from the vocab!  

ETA examples.
"The smog Fuck"- The employee at the smog station that is not the shining example of a smog technician.
"He is a stupid fuck, not much else to be said"- Describing a person of low intelligence and/or moral character.
"She was a good fuck, but a shitty girlfriend" - you get the idea.  

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#20]
As my daughter got older, my language got worse around her. She's now 22 and throws an occasional cuss word out in normal conversation.  All's good.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No.

View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I really try not to do that.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Sounds like you are suffering from a little ... irritation yourself.  

Go back and read the criticisms directed toward people who choose not to cuss.  I'm not feeling like I'm being picked on, just wondering about the thought behind the comments.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trying to understand why some guys get so butthurt (can I say that?) when someone chooses not to use foul language.

Not comprehending...

Who's butthurt over that? seems like the vast majority of butthurt  stems from ppl not conforming to puritanical  language standards from ppl that think they can demannd it of others.

Sounds like you are suffering from a little ... irritation yourself.  

Go back and read the criticisms directed toward people who choose not to cuss.  I'm not feeling like I'm being picked on, just wondering about the thought behind the comments.

nope pretty sure im correct that the theme of the thread is "I feel entitled to comment on your use language because I have a kid and therefore your language should cater to my feelings" and not "ppl that dont swear are pussies".  Not sure what thread you are reading but its pretty easy to delineate this recurring theme by even the most casual observer.

Im not sure why i woud be irritatated its not as if these types of opinions/requests have any bearing on my behavior
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not comprehending...
View Quote

You asserted, in effect, that anyone who curses is inarticulate. Which aside from being factually incorrect, would be considered a slight as well.

It's also bullshit.

Your comments come off as snobbish.

ETA - I mentioned your username because you would be the first person I've ever met to use the word bro, but not curse at all.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I rarely, almost never do around kids.  Mine or otherwise. Once in a while something will slip out of anger around mine. About the only time I curse is at work.  Fairly common there.  Shit, my kiddo climbs down my throat if I say ass.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No.

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Kids these days swear more than I do..
View Quote

Motherfucking truth.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#28]
WHen my son was in the 7th grade and he yelled across the lunch room "FUCK YOU BITCH" to a kid that was picking on him because of his weight, I guess I don't have to watch it to close.

Around others kids, I do though.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't use foul language at all.  In front of children or adults.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:56:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

WHen my son was in the 7th grade and he yelled across the lunch room "FUCK YOU BITCH" to a kid that was picking on him because of his weight, I guess I don't have to watch it to close.

Around others kids, I do though.
View Quote
It's a long story to explain, but my son's first words were "ASSHOLE MAN!".  He had the right tone of voice too.  

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Mundane Noodle

Oh Fuuudgeeeee!
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#32]
No. It's low class.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Usually not.

Normally I only swear around friends (including co-workers and arfcommers...fuck y'all).

Now, if I'm hanging out with friends and those friends have their kids around...odds are my friends have sworn around their own kids so much that nothing I say is going to surprise them.

ETA: I'm a professional engineer, and I've been swearing in quantity since 3rd grade. The "only dumb people swear" elitists can go fuck a pineapple.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
IMO adults who do this around their own children are complete trash. I understand if you have no children you might not know how to turn it off in public but personally even before I had a child I did my best not to use any foul language around children.

I have a 5 year old and understand you cannot shelter her from every bad thing out there but last night their was a family sitting beside of us at chic-fila and they were relentless with dropping F bombs every 2 minutes and they had 2 little ones with them.

What do you do in this situation?

View Quote

Fuck'in Ay I do.  I am not going to modify my behavior  for your kids!  And it is a dick move to expect me to!
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My kids both go to military school so I wont see them all that much. Some of the stuff that comes out of there mouths makes do a double take, and I thought I was a pro when it comes to profanity.
View Quote

Most parents think their children, especially boys (maybe from 3rd to 6th grade) are little angels.  They never spent any time with them on the playground at school.  South Park is an accurate depiction of how young boys talk amongst themselves.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Fuck is a word that has no many meaning and uses, it just cannot be cut from the vocab!  

ETA examples.
"The smog Fuck"- The employee at the smog station that is not the shining example of a smog technician.
"He is a stupid fuck, not much else to be said"- Describing a person of low intelligence and/or moral character.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

ETA examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWNfUGDpqe4
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who gets to decide the civil standards?  You?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:56:58 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm going to reward my sons when they realize the value a good "fuck you" adds to a conversation.  There are certain swear words that cannot be replaced and are invaluable to intelligent and well thought out discussion.  Fuck the Nancies that are scared of the words men use.

Stay back in your cubicles boys, the foul-mouthed men, that run the world, are  talking dirty.  

It's dangerous.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:06:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Around my kids, yes. I try not to around other people's kids.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:09:14 PM EDT
[#40]
I work in a shop around guys that use the f-word to the point that it has no meaning or shock value. It gets old.

I try not to even use euphemisms around my kids.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:16:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I work in a shop around guys that use the f-word to the point that it has no meaning or shock value. It gets old.

I try not to even use euphemisms around my kids.
View Quote

Why?  Are your kids too fragile to live in a man's world?
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 1:12:42 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

No.

View Quote
The fuck is this shit?

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 1:24:44 AM EDT
[#43]
I do so much better these days but I still have severe bouts of turrets syndrome while driving.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 1:28:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Nope. I still don't swear around my parents either. Even with adults I don't know well, I keep it reined in until I confirm that they wouldn't mind,
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 1:33:43 AM EDT
[#45]
It's not my fucking issues you had kids. Don't like my language? Earmuffs
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Think you were aiming for "Profanity is the final bastion of the inarticulate" but your smug got in the fucking way.

There's a difference between profanity and vulgarity. And profanity, used properly, enriches language. There are very few words that can convey such a vast array of meaning dependent on inflection, placement, repetition and situation. A single utterance of the word "fuck" can convey resignation, anger, exasperation, pain, surprise... All dependent on the inflection.

But go ahead and stick with your "feeble brain unable to express itself forcibly" thing. I'm obviously totally fucking illiterate and incapable of communication in any kind other than grunts and shit flinging.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Profanity is the effort of a feeble brain to express itself forcibly.

Think you were aiming for "Profanity is the final bastion of the inarticulate" but your smug got in the fucking way.

There's a difference between profanity and vulgarity. And profanity, used properly, enriches language. There are very few words that can convey such a vast array of meaning dependent on inflection, placement, repetition and situation. A single utterance of the word "fuck" can convey resignation, anger, exasperation, pain, surprise... All dependent on the inflection.

But go ahead and stick with your "feeble brain unable to express itself forcibly" thing. I'm obviously totally fucking illiterate and incapable of communication in any kind other than grunts and shit flinging.

Nope, I meant to quote Spencer W. Kimball.

I don't know if you're "fucking illiterate" or not but I'll take your douchebag word for it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#48]
I try not to.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#49]
No.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top