Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Uh worry about your own kids?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IMO adults who do this around their own children are complete trash. I understand if you have no children you might not know how to turn it off in public but personally even before I had a child I did my best not to use any foul language around children.

I have a 5 year old and understand you cannot shelter her from every bad thing out there but last night their was a family sitting beside of us at chic-fila and they were relentless with dropping F bombs every 2 minutes and they had 2 little ones with them.

What do you do in this situation?

Uh worry about your own kids?

I am --that is the whole point.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:04:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No.

I don't talk that way around adults, either.

Profanity is a verbal crutch for the inarticulate.
View Quote

If I am capable of expressing myself with a vocabulary as large as your own, but I also use foul language, when appropriate, is my profanity really a verbal crutch?

Sometimes the correct word choice is profane.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I try not to...but I don't have kids so I slip up.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't smoke, I don't drink and I don't screw strange women.

I do occasionally cuss in frustration.

I do my best not to do it around others.

And apologize if I slip up.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I try not to but sometimes I fuck up.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No.

View Quote

This, kinda.

I still use some profanity around kids (try not to as much as possible) and a lot around adults because I'm uneducated construction trash.

If I wasn't so rough around the edges I probably wouldn't have had a successful career.

EDIT - In this thread everyone starts talking very proper to make a point, when they normally wouldn't talk that way.

I view consumption of drugs or alcohol as a weakness like a lot of people view profanity so I can see the point. I still have memories from being 6 years old and my parents calling me a worthless faggot so it's kind of engrained at this point.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

Bullshit.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I try to keep a lid on it around little kids.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Anytime my family has been within earshot of people being crass in a restaurant, we ask to be moved.

And I always say plainly and well within earshot ... the reason we are asking to be moved. If we cannot be moved, I tend to use it as a teachable moment.

Let the swearing crowd have their freedom of speech. Exercise your own freedom and move away. It works for movies that offend (turn it off, change the channel, leave the theater) as well. My personal code of conduct does not sync with everyone's code of conduct so I do what's in my immediate power to do and go on with life.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I generally swear enough to embarrass a trucker, so turning it off once I had kids was extremely difficult, but I did manage to pull it off.  No 4-letter words around my kids, and only now am I starting to say some of the less-vulgar stuff like "Jesus" and "Dammit".  I swear less around my kids than the rest of my family, all of whom were generally always appalled by my vocabulary. :D

One time when my son was 2, he was watching TV while I was running around he house trying to batton down the hatches because Hurricane Irene was bearing down on us.  We had the power go out and I let out an accidental "oh shit!".  For the next 6 months, every time the TV flickered, my two year old would yell "oh shit!"
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:13:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I endeavor to not use foul language around anyone. I think it is a sign of weakness
when people can not find better ways to communicate...not saying I have not been weak at times.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#12]
sometimes moments should be frozen in time. many years ago I found the movie Rat Race was playing on tv so I made some popcorn and watched it with my then 4 year old son. at the point in the movie where the ambulance driver is transporting the heart he tells Rowan Atkinson that he is "haulin ass". my son looks to me and asks what does that mean, and I just said it means to go really fast in a car. not one week goes by and I am late and pushing a bit, not stupid fast, but fast enough to get a stern warning from LE if there was one nearby and this voice comes from the back in exactly the same tone as the movie "we're haulin ass". I had to stop for a few minutes and wipe tears away, I was also late for the appointment. to me those moments are relatively innocent and very, very humorous.
 on the other hand, I have neighbors that use profanity as easily as saying hello, and another moment should have been captured. Mom spends about 20 minutes getting her two little 5 and 6 year old girls all dressed up to play outside in the middle of winter, making sure they are warm enough for the cold outside. once she gets done, she does a last second adjustment on one girl's toque and says "you kids fuckoff now". just as easily as saying run along and play.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:18:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Of course. I'm Cuban.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#14]
My language is creative, artful and foul when appropriate.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#16]
No, and I think it reflects poorly on the character of those who do.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I do and shouldn't be
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:33:33 AM EDT
[#19]
No, I don't.

But I think the whole concept of profanity/swear words is Fucking retarded.

It's like a bunch of ornery cunts got together to make a list of shit that shouldn't be said.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:16:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Dirty words are fucking dangerous.  We should ban them.
View Quote

I normally cuss like a sailor, but refrain from doing so around children to set an example.   Knowing when you can and can't do it and being able to turn it off is an important life skill.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#21]
No.

Wasn't there an ARFCOMMER a while back, whose wife was pissed at him, because their little boy only knew five words, and one of them was "shit"?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I turn it down a bit, but who fucking cares?  

if you stub your toe in front of a kid and you say "shoot" or "darn it" instead of "shit" or "damn it"   what does it matter?   You are still cursing, just not using the words society deems bad.
View Quote

Came here to post this.

ETA: That being said, my year and a half old son started saying "oh shit" last week, so I may have to tone it back a bit more for his future peers' sake.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

No.

Wasn't there an ARFCOMMER a while back, whose wife was pissed at him, because their little boy only knew five words, and one of them was "shit"?
View Quote

lol.  My mom got mad at my older sister's friend because she taught me to say "beer."  I can't imagine what she'd have done if it had been "shit."

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No.

View Quote

My one of my first word was "fuck"...... My dad supposedly got the ass chewing of the decade over it

Edit: correction, I forget, there's about three others that get claimed as my "first" word
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No.

View Quote

Third post is correct.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

IMO adults who do this around their own children are complete trash. I understand if you have no children you might not know how to turn it off in public but personally even before I had a child I did my best not to use any foul language around children.

I have a 5 year old and understand you cannot shelter her from every bad thing out there but last night their was a family sitting beside of us at chic-fila and they were relentless with dropping F bombs every 2 minutes and they had 2 little ones with them.

What do you do in this situation?

View Quote

Tell them to shut the fuck up and watch their filthy fucking mounths in goddamn public
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Wrong: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2625581/Swearing-emotional-creative-language-say-researchers-claim-GOOD-you.html

I have almost 3 year old twin boys and I do my best not to swear around them; though a "damnit" slips out every once in awhile when I stub my toe on something they dragged out in the floor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

Exactly.

Wrong: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2625581/Swearing-emotional-creative-language-say-researchers-claim-GOOD-you.html

I have almost 3 year old twin boys and I do my best not to swear around them; though a "damnit" slips out every once in awhile when I stub my toe on something they dragged out in the floor.

creative is saying cheese and crackers instead of dammit, or fudge instead of fuck, or dawson dammit, instead of the alternative.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Here's the bottom line: In my daily life as a Christian, I am always aware that I represent Jesus to people around me (admittedly in a very flawed way).

Thus, I am conscious of my words as well as my actions.

Those who might call me a prude for avoiding vulgar language would also call me a hypocrite if I used it.  I'll just keep on doing my thing as I know I should.
View Quote

I cuss like a sailor, but I have to respect this.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#30]
The occasional 'Shit' or 'Damn'.  We stopped hanging out with neighbors who couldn't control themselves in this regard.  Our kids weren't happy about not seeing their friends but I don't need my 6 year old to hear about how your sister fucked 2 guys one night and didn't even their names.  Trashy to say the least.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#31]
We're from jersey I grew up with my parents cursing around me we curse around our kids they know there bad words and can't use them

I don't get what the big deal is
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm not around the little fuckers.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:07:05 PM EDT
[#33]
No.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#34]
I grew up in a trailer park....you do the math.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
*Snip* Plenty of 12-14 year olds around  the hunt club I visit and some that belong to my friends. We don't watch our language around them because we know what is was like to be 14.
View Quote

My boys are 10 & 8.  We had a discussion about this on our first trip to the duck club last year.  "What is said here stays here and is not to be repeated."  They got the message loud and clear.

In the produce industry, which I work in, profanity is just a regular part of daily converstaion.  Long hours and tight deadlines during harvest help, alot.

I'll admit, I slip at home once in a while but only around my own kids.  If other kids are around I choose my words more carefully.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#36]
According to my parents one of my first words was bitch or shit. Dad was proud, but then again, he wasn't a fucking pussy.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:50:42 PM EDT
[#37]
you ever catch kids chatting .  shocking.....  do or don't won't change a thing..
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I do not curse in front of strangers, my parents, or children.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

My boys are 10 & 8.  We had a discussion about this on our first trip to the duck club last year.  "What is said here stays here and is not to be repeated."  They got the message loud and clear.

In the produce industry, which I work in, profanity is just a regular part of daily converstaion.  Long hours and tight deadlines during harvest help, alot.

I'll admit, I slip at home once in a while but only around my own kids.  If other kids are around I choose my words more carefully.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
*Snip* Plenty of 12-14 year olds around  the hunt club I visit and some that belong to my friends. We don't watch our language around them because we know what is was like to be 14.

Slow down there post whore.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't have kids, but I generally try not drop bombs around other people's children. They happen sometimes though.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:07:31 PM EDT
[#41]
I make a real effort to avoid cursing or other crude language in front of minor children.

I feel it sets a bad example.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We're from jersey I grew up with my parents cursing around me we curse around our kids they know there bad words and can't use them

View Quote

So you meet up with your new/current boss or say wifes co-worker in a public place. They have small children. Do you just drop whatever language you want in front of them because "you don't get what the big deal is" or would you put a filter on it because you understand if might bother some folks.

Be Honest
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:17:04 PM EDT
[#43]
No, but my brother and SIL do, and it drives me nuts.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
No.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#45]
I wish I wouldn't swear so much. There's definitely a time and place for it, but for me it's most places and more often than I'd like.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#46]
I have to say my daughter has heard her daddy utter a few dirty words, and usually when in pain clutching at a bleeding appendage.  Doing it in front of other peoples kids, no never, thats very rude.

I used to curse a lot more when I was young, but as I grew up I realized the OP is correct and I sounded like a moron.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#47]
I do not, and I really don't appreciate it when others do so around my children.

That is on a very short list of things that will get me into your business out in  public.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So you meet up with your new/current boss or say wifes co-worker in a public place. They have small children. Do you just drop whatever language you want in front of them because "you don't get what the big deal is" or would you put a filter on it because you understand if might bother some folks.

Be Honest
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be Honest

In those type of situations I do try my best to curb my language

Not only was I raised in an Italian family in jersey was a mechanic for over a decade and in construction operating heavy equipment where cursing is just part of the job so it's tough to filter

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#49]
im a foul mouthed cigar smoking truck driving son of a bitch.
dont like my language? then get lost. my son is 9mo old.sometimes
daddy is daddy around the boy,but mostly he sees me after a long day,and
by then im too tired to do anything but smile and enjoy his company...
i guess ill run to walmart and buy a filter....
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#50]
No kids yet, I forget to turn it off and use foul language at the grocery store or something, then see an 8 year old behind me and realize I'm an ass. What can you do, it happens.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top