Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2015 9:52:15 AM EDT
I was watching some old reruns of Cisco Kid this morning and noticed that many times when a shot is fired, the horse's ears would be just a few inches ahead of the muzzle.  Sometimes the horse would even jerk its head from the blast.

The horses back in the old west shoot 'em up days must have been rendered deaf after a while.  

But that's something never touched upon in the old western movies.  It seems the horses never have any trouble hearing the owner's whistles or commands.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#1]

Most horses I've ever been around go into 'instant rodeo mode' if you fire a gun off their back.

I believe a lot of western movies used really light loads of black powder to provide the muzzle smoke effect - with the full power sound dubbed in when the editor got ahold of the film.

I've guided, bucarooed, and pulled mules for a living over many years and have yet to see many horses that will let you fire a gun off their back....without introducing you to the ground.

Movie magic.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, the "old west shoot 'em up days" are largely an invention of Hollywood, so most horses were probably all right, auditorially speaking.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't they put cotton in their ears?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Why do you think they used reigns instead of just telling them where to go?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#5]
you never see the guys that fired a gun from the saddle and  got smashed into the ground by the horse either, but it certainly happened.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I would think they would suffer from gun shot wounds also.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't they do horseback in Cowboy Action shooting?

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most horses I've ever been around go into 'instant rodeo mode' if you fire a gun off their back.

I believe a lot of western movies used really light loads of black powder to provide the muzzle smoke effect - with the full power sound dubbed in when the editor got ahold of the film.

I've guided, bucarooed, and pulled mules for a living over many years and have yet to see many horses that will let you fire a gun off their back....without introducing you to the ground.

Movie magic.

View Quote

Obviously hollywood has its mark, However I do think that at battles such as Little Big Horn there was a lot of shooting from horseback.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#9]
You would be amazed at how little actual "gun fighting" occurred in the Old West or how few people actually engaged in that sort of activity. Most were armed in some way but shoot-outs were rare. Places like Tombstone were the exception, not the rule.

Or were you talking about the filming of Western movies?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I believe that the US Cavalry used to place the stables down near the firing range.  The horses were exposed to shooting on a (somewhat) regular basis.  They either got used to it or they got sold or shot.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:15:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The horses back in the old west shoot 'em up days must have been rendered deaf after a while.  

View Quote

What ?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You would be amazed at how little actual "gun fighting" occurred in the Old West or how few people actually engaged in that sort of activity. Most were armed in some way but shoot-outs were rare. Places like Tombstone were the exception, not the rule.

View Quote

Tombstone's most violent year ever was 1881, with 3 homicides---all at the incident at the O.K. Corral.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

That would be a great counter point to bring up when libs scream that "without gun control this place would be the wild west". So that would make Chicago with some of the most draconian gun laws in the country and yet the most shootings per capita what, the wild upper midwest? The wild North????
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:28:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Some people would slowly acclimate their horses to gunfire w/ positive reinforcement and treats.  Others would fire a couple of rounds inches from the horses ears and blow their ear drums out; and then break the horse to make him manageable through brute force and head games.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Tombstone's most violent year ever was 1881, with 3 homicides---all at the incident at the O.K. Corral.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was the lawlesness outside of Tombstone that was problematic I would think.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I ride my horse every morning to check the herds and have often taken shots at coyotes/hogs while I was in the saddle.  However I always turn and shoot broadside so I'm not shooting over the horse's head.  He'll flinch a little bit, but has never bolted on me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Liar. I watched Tombstone; they killed more men than that in an hour and a half.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:57:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Elmer Keith told of a great old horse he had as a young man.  Elmer would carry a double barreled shotgun with him on the way to and from town and shoot any quail or grouse that flushed in front of him.

Elmer said his horse knew the drill and when some birds flushed, the horse would turn his head way to the other side from where they rose and close his eyes.  He said that of he hesitated in firing, the horse would start to quiver in anticipation waiting for the shot.

Elmer said it took a little training to get a horse not to bolt when you shot off of his back.

View Quote

The recoil pushes you back a little, the horse moves forward quickly, and you find yourself on the ground as your horse (without you) gallops off into the sunset.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What ?

I came here to say that.

WHAT?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Old West?

What about cavalry horses?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#24]
"Hey dawg... DAWG... did you see the size of that CHICKEN??"  *BOOM*
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What ?

Can you post that a little louder please?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Per some old pictures you could have mounted a gatlling gun on the back of an elephant without issue and they have larger ears.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#27]
We use horses to hunt sharptail grouse out west.  The horses and dogs don't seem to suffer any negligible hearing loss.

I've shot thousands of birds with no ear protection, I'm sure I technically have hearing damage but I'm usually the one complaining the TV is too loud.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What ?

I dunno, I think he said his whore was shooting up & has been dead for a while.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What ?

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:52:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Obviously hollywood has its mark, However I do think that at battles such as Little Big Horn there was a lot of shooting from horseback.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Movie magic.

I think Custers Troopers were dismounted and may have used their horses for cover as they were on the exposed high ground. The braves rode from the encampment and dismounted and crawled up the draws and gullies to fire from concealment  at custers people.  They did not Zulu them with human waves as depicted in sensationalized papers at the time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have link to records for this?

Tombstone had a population of 15-20K at that time (counting women and children like we do today) so that would give Tombstone a murder rate of 20 based on today's per 100K method. (assuming the lower population around 1881)

That's above the national average of 8, but well below St Louis, Baltimore, New Orleans and Detroit.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top