Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/30/2015 12:20:53 AM EDT
Got a new job and will be making some good money so its time to get a Truck, but I know squat about them.

Most of the use will be desert shoots with steal targets, and camping alongside just moving crap for the fam. So do I need a long or short bed?

ETA: Got my eyes on a Ford F-150.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:23:34 AM EDT
[#1]
6.5 bed super cab for me because it's all usually I need.  I've hauled 12 foot drywall in it with the gate down and a couple of long 2x4s for rear support.

If you're doing trucklike things alot, get a long bed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:24:02 AM EDT
[#2]
If it will mostly be used as a big car go short bed, if actually used as a truck the extra space of a long bed will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:25:41 AM EDT
[#3]
How big is your garage?    My shortbed BARELY fits mine.  I think most people would be ok with a shortbed, if you needed to haul 4' x 8' sheets of anything, you could put the tailgate down and be ok.  That's the longest stuff I've ever hauled.  6 cylinder F150 would be a good starter truck, fuel economy and all that if you're not going to be doing any heavy hauling or towing.  Plenty of used ones for sale.  

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:26:00 AM EDT
[#4]
8' bed so you can load whole sheets of ply wood without worry.

ETA: fleet side bed too.  Step side beds take too much bed space away.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:26:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Get both
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:42:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Op I voted short bed for what you are looking to do it will be easier to use daily, park etc.  If you were looking for a true work truck I would say 8ft bed hands down.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:44:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Moving stuff on the farm leads me to believe you'd be better off with a long bed. My MegaCab is a short bed but it works. For longer stuff I use a trailer.

ETA. If a 8' MegaCab wasn't an extra $8k I'd have one.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:44:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Short bed plus a trailer if there is ever an off chance you ever need to haul something extra. (plywood)
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:46:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Moving stuff on the farm leads me to believe you'd be better off with a long bed. My MegaCab is a shortened but it works. For longer stuff I use a trailer.
View Quote
No farm here, but a huge Mojave desert though.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:46:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Moving stuff on the farm leads me to believe you'd be better off with a long bed. My MegaCab is a shortened but it works. For longer stuff I use a trailer.

Moving stuff for the FAM. I saw farm. Get a shortbed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:47:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I farm.  I haul and tow shit regularly with my crew cab short bed and have never wished for a long bed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:51:19 AM EDT
[#12]
F150 super crew owner. Mine is a short bed and works for me. Lower the gate and use straps if needed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:56:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I went for the Feb crew cab dually.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:19:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Long bed. It's just so fucking handy.

I really like the fact that you can throw a toolbox in the bed, roll a four-wheeler in, AND still close the tailgate. After having a long bed, I will not get another short bed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:28:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

F150 super crew owner. Mine is a short bed and works for me. Lower the gate and use straps if needed.
View Quote
Hows the Truck holding up for you?

Love it?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:32:21 AM EDT
[#16]

6' bed....tool box and full sized ATV.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:34:13 AM EDT
[#17]

standard size bed
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:35:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Long bed for a work truck, short bed for a practical nice looking daily driver.  Honestly never seen a nice looking long bed in my life.  They are purely work horses IMO.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:36:22 AM EDT
[#19]
2006 F150 (not that you want one this old). Short bed. We use it like a car and to pull a small trailer. Works great for that. Sounds like that's all you need. As for hauling boxed lawnmowers, plywood, and 2x4s, my dad does all that with a minivan (takes the seats out). Surely you would be able to survive with a short bed.

As others have said, I'd get a long bed if I used the truck for work / farm use. Driving through the desert? Probably don't need it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:47:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I like short beds but if you are looking at a 4 door Tacoma then I would get their version of a long bed.
Otherwise ur getting like a four foot bed.

Im looking at the new tundra and if I get one im going with the standard four door with a normal bed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:55:44 AM EDT
[#21]
F-350 double cab duelly 4X4 with the diesel engine sounds about right for your needs.

Seriously?  GMC Canyon with a long bed. Even a F150 is overkill for your needs.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:01:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

F-350 double cab duelly 4X4 with the diesel engine sounds about right for your needs.

Seriously?  GMC Canyon with a long bed. Even a F150 is overkill for your needs.
View Quote
You know that saying. Better to have and not need.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:15:04 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm not sure I ever said I wish I had a long bed in all the years I had my short bed (early) extend bed 4x4.  I sure could have used a large rear seat many times, but a full crew-cab?  don't think so.  That includes camping in the Mojave, the Sierras, towing small trailers etc.

Based on the times, one of the other Dads in the Scouts and Cubs brought his crew-cab long bed to the same activities, that extra length was a hassle more often than it helped.  In cramped quarters it was a real pain and he freely admitted it was a pain in town finding parking places.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:44:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Is 5.5 feet to small for the box?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:46:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

yep
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:08:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Short bed can do most of what a long bed does if you put the tail gate down. The only time I need an long box is when I'm buying lumber or granite, which is frequently. Another advantage of a long bed is it means that ( most of the time) your rear axle will be farther back. Allowing for you to stack more weight in front of it without tilting the truck back. I've never parked a short bed so maybe I just haven't seen the light
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:13:56 AM EDT
[#27]
O.P., why are you gonna steal targets, when you could go out and buy your own? Stealing isn't nice, you know...

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:21:25 AM EDT
[#28]
We have a 2004 f150 crew cab 5.5 foot bed and use it as a family truck with a huge trunk. It is awesome and I have the bed for dirt bikes, occasional hauling, etc.

I have 178,000 miles on her and she still runs great. When we get a new truck in the future, I might get the 6.5 foot bed this time. It is only about $300 more compared to the 5.5 bed.

I work as an engineer for Ford in Dearborn and if you are buying a new truck, pm me and I will set you up with a friends and neighbors x plan discount. It is a great discount that also let's you use any other incentives like financing or cash back that they are offering as well. Also you get to log in and see your price on any vehicle at any Ford dealership before you go to the dealerships or interact with the sales people.

Thank you for considering a Ford Motor Company product.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:23:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.

My belief is that you should get the longest bed available in the cab configuration you want.  5.5 is too small though.  At that point you might as well get an suv.  A 6.5 bed will support a full sheet of plywood or drywall with the tailgate down.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:27:50 AM EDT
[#30]
If you want to be able to sleep in the bed of the truck, longer bed is nice.  

I haul lots of stuff in my shortbed truck but it is held in with straps usually.  Being able to shut the tailgate and then put a safety strap on for just in case would be nice.

As tailgates age you have to decide if the cables are getting weak or if it rusts out how strong it is.

Just for being able to recline my seat I would want more than the standard regular cab truck.

The 6.5 ft bed would do most of what I want to do and a trailer can do the rest but these people talking about parking a long bed should consider the fun of parking a truck and trailer.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:05:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Always buy the longest bed available. I have a 5.5ft bed on mine and wish it was bigger because you really can't haul anything big in it. Want a toolbox? Well there goes half your bed space...
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:29:43 AM EDT
[#32]
First question to ask is standard cab , bonus cab or crew cab

Then look at bed sizes.

If all your use is out in the sticks length doesn't really matter unless you are mud bogging or rock crawling . If your use is in town where you have to park it any of the longer trucks get to be a pain real fast.

Standard cab is generally way cheaper. Some guys need the space for kids or whatever but they are pricey

I am kind of old school so standard cab with 8' bed works best for me . Ok to park but the 8" works best for lumber or firewood.
If I throw my toolbox in there I still have some space left over . toolbox with a 6' and you barely have room for a push mower . (yeah I saw the guy with the atv strapped to his tailgate )
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:30:37 AM EDT
[#33]
I’ve always had long beds because it give you more options.  Currently I have a Chevy 2500HD, LB.  Since I have never driven a short bed, I can’t comment on any differences in parking.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:43:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Get both
I have a king cab 6' bed 4x4 for non working stuff and a single cab long bed for daily work.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:58:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Lower the gate and use straps if needed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:13:19 AM EDT
[#36]
I voted short (6.5') bed but as many said it depends on how you use your truck.  Mine does a lot of heavy bed hauling -firewood, lumber, brick and the 6.5' works just fine.   I got rid of my toolbox because everything that was in mine got wet/rusty/musty from condensation from the temp swings.  A long bed typically will not gain you anything as far as hauling capacity because the GVWR will be the same or less.  With my truck I can fill the bed mounded with logs or out a pallet of something in it and I'm already over my GVWR.  

Long bed/wheelbase will be nice if you tow a lot as it adds stability.  Long bed will be nice if you haul larger lighter stuff in the bed.  

Around here long beds would mean even more nightmare parking .... Every new building has narrower and narrower spots and aisles because little towny vehicles are becoming more popular.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:22:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Just as a family truck, short bed. In construction, agg, or are going to tow a lot, long bed.

Long beds suck trying to park at the mall. This is 99% of what family trucks do.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:27:47 AM EDT
[#38]
My F150 short bed works great for me, I need  anything bigger I use my flatbed utility trailer which does about 99% of anything I can't put in the truck
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:44:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Long bed for a work truck, short bed for a practical nice looking daily driver.  Honestly never seen a nice looking long bed in my life.  They are purely work horses IMO.
View Quote

Agree I don't like the look of the long bed but they are very useful as a work truck.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:58:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.  I've had 5.5, 6.5, and 8 and there isn't too much you can do with the 8 that you can't do with the 5.5 with the tailgate down and prosper strapping.

If you're hauling every day then maybe you want the 8, but if you merely need the capability from time to time then 5.5 works just fine.

6.5 with an extended cab is a nice compromise though if you only occasionally need to carry more than 2 people.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:02:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Agree I don't like the look of the long bed but they are very useful as a work truck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as they're not 5' up in the air and you can actually use them.  I find myself using my 72 C10 when I go get a dryer, washing machine or other stuff.  On newer trucks, you can't even touch the bed of the truck from the ground or reach over very far,and I'm 6'.  When I was burning wood for heat, I kept a '93 F150 around just for that reason.  

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:04:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

ETA: Got my eyes on a Ford F-150.

View Quote

are you looking at 15's or closeout 14's?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:07:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

yep
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep

+1

Even at that depending on were you drive it can still be a boat to maneuver in parking lots.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#44]
I personally would go with a long bed.
If all you think you need is a short bed then don't get a truck get a SUV with the rear seats folded down it has damn near the same cargo room as a short bed truck.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:14:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Longer wheel base makes backing up trailers easier.

Bigger bed means you can load a quad and still have some room behind it for a cooler.

I vote long bed. I currently have a 6.5 foot bed, and I really miss having an 8 foot.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

If it will mostly be used as a big car go short bed, if actually used as a truck the extra space of a long bed will be appreciated.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Having had several, my personal favorite is the extended cab with the long bed. internal storage for sensitive items and plenty of bed for other stuff. If you have kids though the 4 door variety is better.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#48]
I drive a standard cab with a 8ft bed it sucks but when you need the bed it's fantastic whole sheets of drywall or wood slide it in shut the tailgate and go. Few weeks ago moved some 16 ft beams not a care in the world
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:22:44 AM EDT
[#49]
I ordered my 2007 F150 Supercrew with the 5.5  bed.

I can still put my ATV in the back with the tailgate down.

I love the short box for everyday drive.

Unless you always are hauling things over 10 feet.  (With tailgate down its  2.5 inches shy of 8 feet).

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Longer is better. I have a 5' box on a toy dc it is to short.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top