Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/29/2015 5:29:30 PM EDT
Black People Don’t Drink Coffee
View Quote

by Jim Goad

March 23, 2015
View Quote

Black people don’t drink coffee. There—I’ve said it.

I’m generalizing, of course. Yes, I realize you have a black friend who drinks a lot of coffee. You’ve even seen him drink coffee with your own eyes—many times. But I’m talking about trends here. And the trend is that relative to their Caucasian oppressors, black people don’t drink as much coffee as white people do. According to this super-special government document, white American adults drink about three times as much coffee as blacks.

That seems unfair.

Why the disparity? Why the persistent and seemingly ineradicable coffee inequality? If one were so inclined, one could fairly describe American blacks as “coffee-deprived.” They’re a “coffee-underserved population.” You might even allege that urban blacks live in “coffee deserts.”

Since this article is about the intersection of race and coffee, is there truly a whiter brand of coffee than Starbucks? I mean “white” not in the Viking-warrior sense but in the Stuff White People Like sense. Starbucks, that Seattle-born corporate caffeine giant that makes the shittiest coffee in world history and charges credulous customers ten times its value, may employ the occasional dark-skinned so-called “barista”—I hate that term—but finding a black customer in a Starbucks is like finding a unicorn at a 7-Eleven.

This is why it’s a sharp pointy pinnacle of irony that Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz—yes, he’s Jewish, because a dozen of you would have mentioned it in the comments anyway—recently launched a publicity blitz encouraging his baristas to engage their customers in an ongoing dialogue about race relations in America.

Right. OK, then, I’ll take a Venti Americano. While you’re preparing my hot beverage, let’s chat about The Bell Curve.

“We’re not in the business of filling bellies,” Schultz told 60 Minutes in 2006. “We’re in the business of filling souls.” Yeah, well, you’re filling my soul with bullshit right now and I’m politely asking for you to stop.

The billionaire Schultz licks his lips a lot while talking, which I’ve always taken to be a sign of severe dishonesty and perhaps even demonic possession. He speaks of how he grew up poor in “federally subsidized” Brooklyn housing and how the people there came in different colors and spoke different languages and worshiped different gods and how that left an impression on him. Now he’s seen the riots in Ferguson and that nice fat black man who couldn’t breathe in New York and is concerned about inequality in America, both the racial kind and the economic kind, and it bothers him, and even after all that Martin Luther King has done, it troubles him to see black people marching at night holding candles and picket signs and shaking their damn heads—again! After all these years, they’re still shaking their damn heads.

His solution? Have his baristas write the term “RaceTogether” on customers’ cups in order to initiate what will likely be a deep, meaningful, and bridge-mending conversation rather than a painfully stilted exchange that leads to almost immediate grumbling from the people standing in line behind you.

Even Kareem Abdul-Jabbar thinks Starbucks’ race initiative is a supremely stupid idea: “I worry that such forced and awkward conversations could quickly escalate to violence.”

I’ll take a pumpkin spice latte with two extra sugars, please.

Since you’re an unconscious beneficiary of white privilege and invisible institutional racism, that’s easy for you to say.

OK, how about I beat the fuck out of you right now?

View Quote

http://takimag.com/article/black_people_dont_drink_coffeeJim_goad#axzz3VoD9QAkL
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Am I the only person in America who doesn't give a shit about Starbucks and their little initiative? Because I feel like I am.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#2]
My best friend drinks coffee alll the time, and Starbucks at that. Fuck the author of that article.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got too much don't give a fuck creamer to care.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Am I the only person in America who doesn't give a shit about Starbucks and their little initiative? Because I feel like I am.
View Quote
No, doesn't even register on my give a shit meter.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:35:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't drink coffee
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:37:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope.  I dislike Starbucks coffee and think that Celtic Restaurant, McDonalds, serves better coffee.  Besides, like the article says (indirectly), Starbucks is waycist.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Next you are going to tell me that white people don't like whistle tips.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:40:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, it was a humorous insight into their extraordinarily myopic worldview.  Only the most smug and naive douchebags could have been so oblivious.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Just as I suspected, Coffee is Racists!

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Idjut

If you're in the military, ANY branch of the military, sooner or later You Will be drinking coffee by the cup if not the quart.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I had my first cup today in months, and the lovely lady behind the counter didn't write shit on it, and it was perfect.

Pretty sure the #race or whatever the fuck it was campaign was never launched here, because there'd be a shit fit. Pretty much no starbucks campaign in the media was ever done here. They just serve coffee. I just don't buy it regularly because I'm a utilitarian drinker and therefore usually go for energy drinks. Today was just a lazy sunday and I'm soft on the girl at my local Starbucks.
Quoted:

Idjut
If you're in the military, ANY branch of the military, sooner or later You Will be drinking coffee by the cup if not the quart.

My neighbor just became addicted to monsters and newports during his service. Not sure what you mean.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Idjut

View Quote

If somebody told me that the Coast Guard consumed more coffee and cigarettes per capita than any other branch, I wouldn't ask them to prove it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Starbucks is shit coffee.  Not that any of the customers notice because they order that milk/sugar/candy latte swill.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a lot of black coworkers of various national extraction at my office.

Our cafeteria/beverage center is damn popular with almost every one of us in the morning. Likewise for the customer support crowd that pulls second and third shift duties...someone is always filling their cup.

Of course, there's not a drop of Starbucks to be found in the house.

Draw your own conclusions.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I like coffee desserts. Especially donuts
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Starbucks is shit coffee.  Not that any of the customers notice because they order that milk/sugar/candy latte swill.
View Quote
don't forget "massively overpriced" swill.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm just glad that we have the opportunity to discuss race here on Arfcom.

Because, we never, ever do that here.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Tea is better
View Quote
I like them both, but I'm less prone to ruining tea by adding stuff to it.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#22]
When I make the coffee at work in the morning half of the people standing around waiting for the pot to fill are black.

Black people are pretty consistent on their enjoyment of coffee. That author is full of shit and has likely never left the sheltered confines of their house.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Racist article.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Tea is better
View Quote

Other than sweet tea, no one in America drinks tea.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Jim Goad is both funny and insightful—and he loves to stir up controversy.

His book Redneck Manifesto is an interesting read. I learned a great deal from it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I haven't seen any black customers in Starbucks the few times I went. When I went to the corner deli, convenience store, or gas station in the morning, there were plenty of black people buying coffee. Maybe they just didn't want to pay four bucks for an overhyped cup of coffee that has more snob appeal than taste.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Tea is better
View Quote

Do you want all your shit thrown in a harbor
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Why are y'all posting that you know black people who drink coffee? Seriously, who cares
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tea is better

dude you dont even live in america. we drink tea in america.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Tea is better
View Quote

you know why you don't have an empire anymore?

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Is it racist now to drink your coffee "black"? Is there a better term that won't offend anyone?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm right there with you. For medical reasons I can't have caffine. I miss Coca Cola but never drank coffee so I DGAF about it or Starbucks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Tea is better
View Quote

Earl Grey.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Americans in general don't drink coffee, they drink hot water with a hint of coffee.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was just wondering if I was the only person in America that didn't give a shit about black people, and is frankly fucking tired of hearing about them, and what they want, and what they like, or don't like, or what makes them happy, sad, angry, or anything else.

Don't. Give. A. Fuck.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Americans in general don't drink coffee, they drink hot water with a hint of coffee.
View Quote

Huh?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Tea is better
View Quote

no
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Americans in general don't drink coffee, they drink hot water milk with a hint of coffee.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Article really doesn't have anything to do with coffee. I think he is drawing parallels here.  But then, i just read half the article.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

But our coffee cups are much larger than the shot glasses that pass as "coffee cups" in Europe.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I was just wondering if I was the only person in America that didn't give a shit about black people, and is frankly fucking tired of hearing about them, and what they want, and what they like, or don't like, or what makes them happy, sad, angry, or anything else.

Don't. Give. A. Fuck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't. Give. A. Fuck.

Ditto. Though, I don't really limit it to black people.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Oh sure, this conversation is fine, but is Dasani started a campaign because black people don't like water there would be riots.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Starbucks is shit, but if the cup at my favorite place had "race together" written on it would not A) piss me off, nor B) cause me to reflect on race relations.  What Starbucks is doing is about as meaningless and inconsequential as it gets.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

But our coffee cups are much larger than the shot glasses that pass as "coffee cups" in Europe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never been to Europe huh?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Americans in general don't drink coffee, they drink hot water milk sugar and cream with a hint of coffee.

FIFY

FIFY
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coffee is a religion in Scandinavia.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are the UK, Belgium, Germany, Czech Republic, Italy, and Albania in Europe? That's what's on my current Passport, I may be forgetting a few from years ago. They have cute "coffee" cups in those places. Then again, if you're drinking coffee in most of those places, you're doing it wrong.

ETA: Forgot Austria. Was there for a week in 2010. I did find a cafe there with something resembling a normal-sized coffee mug. And The Netherlands in 2010 as well - where "coffee shop" has a slightly different meaning.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Are the UK, Belgium, Germany, Czech Republic, Italy, and Albania in Europe? That's what's on my current Passport, I may be forgetting a few from years ago. They have cute "coffee" cups in those places. Then again, if you're drinking coffee in most of those places, you're doing it wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, you've visited the Continent.

Come to the civilized parts of Europe, and you'll get to drink proper coffee from adult-sized cups.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Ah, you've visited the Continent.

Come to the civilized parts of Europe, and you'll get to drink proper coffee from adult-sized cups.
View Quote

Austria was the only thing close to "civilized" I found in the coffee realm. Germany, Belgium and Czech Republic made up for it with beer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top