BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:30:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't see where the RZR is worth what they ask for them.  I'd rather have a killer K5 blazer or an expedition type vehicle to explore out west with.    

View Quote

These newer RAZRs don't fit in a truck bed anymore.  They require a pretty good sized trailer.  You can't just drive them to trailheads on public highways, another negative.  I know my VW Buggy won't go where a RAZR can but it's viable for a lot of trails.  Might get a Suzuki Samurai instead of going SXS.  Downside on those and buggy is license and insurance.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Most are 1-2 paychecks away from living in a cardboard box.
View Quote

I have none of this shit, and I am month to month. There are a few people who actually work their ass off, and look happily forward to the once a month fishing\range trip. I am not implying you reference those folks.

It's the same thing when I see people dropping off their kids at a state run day care in an escalade.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Keeping her would have been a wise investment. You have chosen poorly.
I agree that dirt bikes are much more fun than a $20k UTV.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My 26 year old ex has $74mil of family money.  Why I left her move to CO I'll never know.  

Also, real men ride off-road on 2 wheels.
Keeping her would have been a wise investment. You have chosen poorly.
I agree that dirt bikes are much more fun than a $20k UTV.

She's still a looker and happily married to a smarter guy (a marine as well).  

I chose poorly.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#4]
So, you went to a Mecca of rich people toys, and wonder why its filled with rich people toys?

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My place and truck are quite nice, and I became debt free earlier this year

Makes shooting my Knights rifles and custom sigs that much sweeter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many here have multipul Knights guns/LWRC guns/Cans/handguns/NFA toys, live in a shit hole mess and drive a shit box? In debt up to their neck beard. I bet at least 50%.

Why worry about what other people have, buy or finance? You sound like a bunch of self-righteous assholes.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Owns a business, works full time for some one else, owns a house - and has time to maintain the house & maintain/play with multiple offroad toys. That math don't add up - unless he inherited more than a little bit. Or has more debt than you know about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a friend who is 25 and has over 1 million in assets including a 60k dollar jeep on 38s and a brand new rzr and about 6 4 wheelers and about 400k in other miscellaneous vehicles and a half a mil house, all paid off.

Kidding?  Or what did he do to get that?

Owns his own business AND works a full time job outside of his business. Also inherited a little bit.

Owns a business, works full time for some one else, owns a house - and has time to maintain the house & maintain/play with multiple offroad toys. That math don't add up - unless he inherited more than a little bit. Or has more debt than you know about.

most people dont go around telling you how much debt they have. you will find out when they are working into their 70s or 80s
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:37:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many here have multipul Knights guns/LWRC guns/Cans/handguns/NFA toys, live in a shit hole mess and drive a shit box? In debt up to their neck beard. I bet at least 50%.

Why worry about what other people have, buy or finance? You sound like a bunch of self-righteous assholes.

Agreed! My APC is on order and my second SR-15 is in route. I do have a lot of nice things that are paid for.

When I had my 30ft. Cig boat I had some under achieving old dick in a Pontoon try drilling me about how I spend my money at the sandbar in Lake Havasu. He made all his assumptions like a jealous asshole. If he couldn’t afford it, how could I?

I had paid cash for the boat and just took delivery. I learned right then and there at 27 years old not to be that guy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#8]
You know the 1% that they're always talking about in this country, that have nearly all of the money -- that's over 3 million people.  A good number of people have a lot of money.

A good number of people have a lot of debt as well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

We’re on the internets where a guy can be anyone he wants to be. These threads always turn into a group think circle jerk for guy’s too cheap to buy lube. LOL!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm 35 own a lot of nice upper end guns, two newer vehicles that are paid off, and a very nice house with a low payment because I worked my ass off and saved a ton to pay on it before building. I owe for nothing besides my mortgage and the payment is less than most pay for rent. I don't think anyone here is worrying and some of us just get a laugh on making fun of the financially stupid and have seen over and over what usually happens. Did this answer your question?

We’re on the internets where a guy can be anyone he wants to be. These threads always turn into a group think circle jerk for guy’s too cheap to buy lube. LOL!

Yeah I suppose but then there are some here that don't need make stuff up I worked full time for seven years while going to college during the night and not seeing my family so that I could make a better life for them. Even though I don't have to I have a part time side job now teaching at a community college along with a full time job. Being broke/underwater or financially stable is most always a choice.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#10]
This probably doesn't apply to the majority, but I have a buddy who is VP of an electric company.  He has a brand new Chevy, lifted, $3k worth of tires/rims, big trailer to haul 6 seater Ranger and new, decked out, Yamaha Grizzly.

All those toys are "company owned" and he fuels them with a company gas card.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

These newer RAZRs don't fit in a truck bed anymore.  They require a pretty good sized trailer.  You can't just drive them to trailheads on public highways, another negative.  I know my VW Buggy won't go where a RAZR can but it's viable for a lot of trails.  Might get a Suzuki Samurai instead of going SXS.  Downside on those and buggy is license and insurance.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't see where the RZR is worth what they ask for them.  I'd rather have a killer K5 blazer or an expedition type vehicle to explore out west with.    

I wanted a UTV to ride my kids around in but I couldn't logically justify the cost. I ended up purchasing a Golf cart
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're making a hundred grand a year and you're single with no kids; you're mismanaging your money if you can't afford to pay cash for a $15,000 toy.  

Some of the folks running around with expensive toys are up to their eyeballs in debt.  Some are paying cash for those toys.  

And this thread is worthless without offroad rig pictures

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My buddy goes to Down South.

We have the same job; but I make more because I run harder.

Me:  Cheap apartment, 14 year old paid for vehicle.  I saved in cash more than I paid in takes last year.  Top 15% income.

Him:  House, RV, boat,  ATV, motorcycle, <1 year old truck for him, brand new truck for wife.  Flat screens in every room of the house.  Multiple computers.  New fancy ass washer and dryer. Etc. Etc.

He's paycheck to paycheck.  He couldn't buy shoes the other week.

Get this:  Last year his Dodge needed engine work.  He couldn't afford it.  So he financed a new truck.

He's had at least 15 yehicles in the time I've worked with him.

He's broke.

But he's at Down South Off-Road with you.

-p.

View Quote

This is what I suspected of many of those people.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I collect heavy equipment. Antique and newer. Also have a bunch of property.

Everyone has their own hobbies. Mine just can be used of my main job takes a shit. Instead of a new truck or jeep I have enough heavy equipment to make contractors jealous. And a lot of property.
View Quote

That's the smart play...
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was at down south off road park last night. There where bad ass jacked up diesel trucks every, hundreds of Polaris RZR 1000, and Can Am 1000's rolling Round. And of course with thousands of upgrades. Are the majority of these people in debt?? Can they really afford this?? I want to get into this but damn it's like $15,000 for a RZR.  I am a $100,000k arfcommer single no kids, and I don't think I can afford this hobby.
View Quote

It's relative to your interests...if you're not blowing through money buying every deal you see here on ARF to fill the safe then you have disposable income to put elsewhere.  Lifting the truck isn't all that expensive if you're a DIYer and you can piece together/upgrade the kits as you get the cash.  Is it expensive?  Yes.  But so is a couple 1k rounds of 5.56 for the year.  Stretch the $ and the hobby throughout the year(s) and it's not so bad.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#17]
The secret is to NEVER Finance Toys and save until you can afford what you want, Buy Once. Upgrade as parts wear out or you can afford them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This probably doesn't apply to the majority, but I have a buddy who is VP of an electric company.  He has a brand new Chevy, lifted, $3k worth of tires/rims, big trailer to haul 6 seater Ranger and new, decked out, Yamaha Grizzly.

All those toys are "company owned" and he fuels them with a company gas card.
View Quote

That's the way I do it.   Granite I don't have any of these toys, but I have a carolina skiff that is owned by the company
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I know a number of people who live in really cheap houses so they can afford a lot of motorized vehicles...  And a lot who live in very expensive house and can't afford the toys.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#20]
OP is asking us to make wild speculations?

Luminati is responsible for it all, they have a giant wheel of fortune that they spin for everyone in Merica.  Some get lots of good luck, money, looks while others get broke, herpes and like My Little Pony.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Which park did you go to? If it was Hidden Falls you're probably hating on me lol.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Im not rich.  But im not stupid and i bust my ass to have nice things.  I also have kids, wife and home.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Hell, most are 1-2 unpaid days off from not being able to make all their payments on their shit.

Going out to the local desert on a busy weekend is an experience in excessive financing and/or "who the fuck has this kind of money".

$250,000 motorhome, $100,000 prerunner or sand car, $30,000 enclosed trailer, $15,000 UTV for the wife to buzz around in, couple of $5,000 bikes for the kids (and all the associated gear). Add in fuel, food, repairs, etc ($500-$700+) for a weekend if you don't break anything.

I have a $5,000 4x4 truck and tent camp when I go out there. I haz a poor (and very little debt).

ETA: I will say it looks like fun but IMO it doesn't balance out the amount of stress of having to pay the note on all that stuff every month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most are 1-2 paychecks away from living in a cardboard box.

Hell, most are 1-2 unpaid days off from not being able to make all their payments on their shit.

Going out to the local desert on a busy weekend is an experience in excessive financing and/or "who the fuck has this kind of money".

$250,000 motorhome, $100,000 prerunner or sand car, $30,000 enclosed trailer, $15,000 UTV for the wife to buzz around in, couple of $5,000 bikes for the kids (and all the associated gear). Add in fuel, food, repairs, etc ($500-$700+) for a weekend if you don't break anything.

I have a $5,000 4x4 truck and tent camp when I go out there. I haz a poor (and very little debt).

ETA: I will say it looks like fun but IMO it doesn't balance out the amount of stress of having to pay the note on all that stuff every month.

Some of those people were there too, big time money$$!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you're making a hundred grand a year and you're single with no kids; you're mismanaging your money if you can't afford to pay cash for a $15,000 toy.  

Some of the folks running around with expensive toys are up to their eyeballs in debt.  Some are paying cash for those toys.  

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j62/mxpatriot/Newer%20Truck%20Pictures/P2070070_zps27df9a00.jpg

View Quote

I can buy a rzr for cash, I really like off roading but I just cant bring my self to drop $15k cash. I feel like if i were to lose my job that cash would be helpful.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Which park did you go to? If it was Hidden Falls you're probably hating on me lol.
View Quote

Down south, across the street from Xtreme off road park.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

One of the richest guys I ever did work for drove a beater, and dressed like a hobo. The dude was always working, and having work done to his properties.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most of the people I know who have "self made" wealth drive shitty cars.

One of the richest guys I ever did work for drove a beater, and dressed like a hobo. The dude was always working, and having work done to his properties.

I've seen this several times.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#27]
how about all these people driving up and down the hwy with $45k boats.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#28]
my wife's cousin was like this.  early 2000s, credit was easy,  she turned 18 and married a young marine. they bought new cars and trucks,  bought a house,  new furniture and everything. all credit,  high interest.  when they divorced a few years later,  they just walked away from all of it. she turned into a hippie and to this day continues to work under the table jobs because she still has tens of thousands of dollars of debt following her around,  and collectors trying to find out what corner of the globe she lives in this month. somehow despite all this she manages to travel the world and live in resort towns without ever having a real job.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#29]
What are their hobbies? If a family only spends their money on trucks and 4 wheelers, then I can see them having nice toys.  
If a truck is their only thing, then easily I can see a ton of money into one, that's how the kid making $10 has a new brodozer; it's all he spends his money on.   I have too many hobbies to be fully loaded into one of them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
my wife's cousin was like this.  early 2000s, credit was easy,  she turned 18 and married a young marine. they bought new cars and trucks,  bought a house,  new furniture and everything. all credit,  high interest.  when they divorced a few years later,  they just walked away from all of it. she turned into a hippie and to this day continues to work under the table jobs because she still has tens of thousands of dollars of debt following her around,  and collectors trying to find out what corner of the globe she lives in this month. somehow despite all this she manages to travel the world and live in resort towns without ever having a real job.
View Quote

The time frame for collections on that debt likely expired some time ago. She probably just like the hippy lifestyle and not paying taxes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Owns his own business AND works a full time job outside of his business. Also inherited a little bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a friend who is 25 and has over 1 million in assets including a 60k dollar jeep on 38s and a brand new rzr and about 6 4 wheelers and about 400k in other miscellaneous vehicles and a half a mil house, all paid off.

Kidding?  Or what did he do to get that?

Has enough money for all of that but still needs to work full time for a boss. ....
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I can buy a rzr for cash, I really like off roading but I just cant bring my self to drop $15k cash. I feel like if i were to lose my job that cash would be helpful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j62/mxpatriot/Newer%20Truck%20Pictures/P2070070_zps27df9a00.jpg

Not everyone views money in the same way.  Some people see toys when they see money.  Some people see security when they see money.  You seem to see security in it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Why are surprised to find off road machines at an off road park?!?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted: There where bad ass jacked up diesel trucks
View Quote

...how do I know these people don't know shit about off roading...
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I was at down south off road park last night. There where bad ass jacked up diesel trucks every, hundreds of Polaris RZR 1000, and Can Am 1000's rolling Round. And of course with thousands of upgrades. Are the majority of these people in debt?? Can they really afford this?? I want to get into this but damn it's like $15,000 for a RZR.  I am a $100,000k arfcommer single no kids, and I don't think I can afford this hobby.
View Quote

$100,000k?  

I'd say you can afford just about anything you want.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You know the 1% that they're always talking about in this country, that have nearly all of the money -- that's over 3 million people.  A good number of people have a lot of money.

A good number of people have a lot of debt as well.
View Quote

+1

Even the top 10% is like $140,000 per year an up.  That's A LOT of people with pretty considerable means.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I make what most would consider pretty decent money.  according to the Utah accounting office,  3x the state average.  I live in a decent house, my newest car is 13 years old with 190K on it.  We have a 1997 boat I bought for 1000bucks at a garage sale and fixed myself. We have 2 motorbikes, one KLR650 I bought for 2500 bucks with saved up "extra" money (bonuses not part of salary)

*EVERYONE* around me has nicer cars,  14K Razrs,  JetSki's,  Big trucks,  I can't understand it. I know several make way more than I do, but I know lots of them make a lot less.

I'm continually confounded that I appear to be the "poor" one in our neighborhood and don't buy tons of extra stuff. And it's not like I'm socking thousands away in a stock plan or something,  just normal bills, mortgage, gas,  etc run us pretty hard.

I just don't understand how people are driving some of the vehicles they drive and have the toys they do.....
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what I was thinking.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

My 26 year old ex has $74mil of family money.  Why I left her move to CO I'll never know.  

Also, real men ride off-road on 2 wheels.
View Quote
Got her phone number handy?

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:36:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Was at a car cruise yesterday and was surprised by the number of high dollar newer cars driven by guys my age.  Can't believe they'd be buying 70-100k+ cars on credit, but guess people make odd life choices? Or there are just a lot more wealthy people in the area than I knew.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Was at a car cruise yesterday and was surprised by the number of high dollar newer cars driven by guys my age.  Can't believe they'd be buying 70-100k+ cars on credit, but guess people make odd life choices? Or there are just a lot more wealthy people in the area than I knew.
View Quote

26 year old I work with just bought a 2014 viper, he doesn't have a garage and uses it as a daily driver.  Some people are just dumb, he'll probably trade it in when he needs tires.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My friend who was with me believes that the majority of them are rich and easily afford it, I just have a hard time believing it. He has a RzR 570 bought for 10k put 2k down, does payments, and that's one of the cheaper ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was at down south off road park last night. There where bad ass jacked up diesel trucks every, hundreds of Polaris RZR 1000, and Can Am 1000's rolling Round. And of course with thousands of upgrades. Are the majority of these people in debt?? Can they really afford this?? I want to get into this but damn it's like $15,000 for a RZR.

I was a little slow in figuring this out when I was a teenager with a credit card, but there is a big difference between being rich, and having credit.

A friend of a friend would probably fit right in with those boys.  Big new lifted Dodge 2500 with a diesel, big Polaris-something or another behind it on a trailer, up to his eyeballs in toy payments.  That's not a good way to live, IMO.

My friend who was with me believes that the majority of them are rich and easily afford it, I just have a hard time believing it. He has a RzR 570 bought for 10k put 2k down, does payments, and that's one of the cheaper ones.

Rich people go to the Hamptons, they don't drive brodozers
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

$100k/year ain't the same across the entire country.....
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, people making 100k a year just 4 hours south of me are just making a decent living, come up here and you are Mr. Moneybags if you can rake in 6 figures.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:11:00 PM EDT
[#45]
I know a guy that does that with a polaris and a 40k truck.  He might make $15.00 an hour at his job.   Maybe.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

You didn't take a single day off work when your wife had your kids either did you?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You didn't take a single day off work when your wife had your kids either did you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#48]
I call them the "thirty thousand-millionaires".
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was at down south off road park last night. There where bad ass jacked up diesel trucks every, hundreds of Polaris RZR 1000, and Can Am 1000's rolling Round. And of course with thousands of upgrades. Are the majority of these people in debt?? Can they really afford this?? I want to get into this but damn it's like $15,000 for a RZR.

I was a little slow in figuring this out when I was a teenager with a credit card, but there is a big difference between being rich, and having credit.

A friend of a friend would probably fit right in with those boys.  Big new lifted Dodge 2500 with a diesel, big Polaris-something or another behind it on a trailer, up to his eyeballs in toy payments.  That's not a good way to live, IMO.

I think it depends on your area and definition of rich.

I'm rural. Most "rich" people here are dairy owners, cattlemen, farmers, or oilfield guys. I doubt any of them know what the Hamptons are.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I call them the "thirty thousand-millionaires".
View Quote

I like that
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top