Glocks and Steyr AUG

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1911s.
ETA: Garands and M14s also.
View Quote

Would it be a COC violation if I called you a fucking heretic?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Just try cleaning your M1A/M14 now and then.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
the most overrated has got to be Rock island phillipino 1911- popularity has pushed prices well north of actual value
Second place goes to SA , clever marketing has made them able to pass off Brazil made firearms and components

M1a / M14 ( check out forgotten weapons you tube for real world evaluation of how this holds up in dirty environment)

Your whole post makes me lol.

I don't own a M1A.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

HK USP's
View Quote

Yep, this plus glocks. I respect glocks and I even own one, as well, but I'm not a glock fanboy by any means. As far as polymer pistols go, the Smith & Wesson M&P series of guns are my preferred choice of sidearm while the 1911's get my vote when it comes to steel framed handguns.
As for the H&K USP's, they just never felt good to me. Ergonomically, I felt like I was holding a 2x4 stud in my hand.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Meh I'd rather buy a CZ and have a good gun out of the box.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Browning Hi Power. I looked at one of the newer ones and the trigger had to be 12lb.

The rule is you buy an old Hi-Power and send it to a proper Hi-Power 'smith to have it tuned to your liking.

All double action pistols suck, so I have to say CZ is on my list.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

All double action pistols suck
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Browning Hi Power. I looked at one of the newer ones and the trigger had to be 12lb.

The rule is you buy an old Hi-Power and send it to a proper Hi-Power 'smith to have it tuned to your liking.

All double action pistols suck

lol
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sigs. They're good guns and all, but they're just not my thing.
View Quote

My problem with Sigs (and beretta's, too, for that matter)  is that I just don't care for their heavy, double action, triggers. I guess at this point my 1911's have just spoiled me where pistol triggers are concerned.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm glad I got my Python when they were $400.

Wouldn't have one at the current prices
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#9]
1911s,  XDs, CZs
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My problem with Sigs (and beretta's, too, for that matter)  is that I just don't care for their heavy, double action, triggers. I guess at this point my 1911's have just spoiled me where pistol triggers are concerned.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you train with the DA pull that is a non issue.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:35:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't even have to do that. Just shitcanning the nagazine safety does wonders for the trigger, and any idiot can do that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

on a good day they shoot 8 MOA and they are very ammo finicky.

I have 3.

Great Ergonomics, shitty execution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FAL

I really want an FAL, but I've never shot one and I almost don't want to try one out of fear that I'll hate shooting it and my dreams will be crushed.    

on a good day they shoot 8 MOA and they are very ammo finicky.

I have 3.

Great Ergonomics, shitty execution.

yep a lot of designs I could nit pick them and send them back to the drawing board for a redraft.  The FAL could have been better if they mounted both of the rights on one half!   The inch triggers aren't that bad.....for a combat rifle.  The ergonomics were good but people still complain about them.  They were different than the m14, garand, and ar.  

The Garand design was pretty good for it's day but the achille's heel to me is the clamp system holding it all together.  Fine for a battle rifle but a bit lacking for the long haul accuracy as the wood gets compressed.  (not a problem for a long army supply train with armorer support).  

I love the ergos of the hi power and CZ.  The high power needs a trigger job and the CZ's mostly just have a trigger that's out of reach for small hands.

Colt Pythons......are slick but I prefer the staging feel on the Smiths.  

Oh and most rugers just feel like paving bricks to me.   The best bargain per pound though.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Not into 1911 so much...low capacity, expensive, don't like the sights.

Not into Glocks so much...don't like the sights and grip angle.

Not into Hi Powers so much...grip doesn't fit me too well.

Not into Garands...too bulky and heavy.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Revolvers
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#15]
KSG or any Keltech.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
FALs, 1911s, Enfields, Garands, M14s.
View Quote

Pretty much exactly this.  Not that I wouldn't own a 1911 or Garand because I think a gun collection should have them, but overall those guns do nothing for me.

ETA I inherited an Enfield from my dad.  It sits in the back of my safe and I can't even remember what it looks like.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
inb4 glock
View Quote

DITTO THIS
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like I said, my 1911 springfield's have spoiled me. As a young kid, my dad raised me up on colt and ruger single action .22 caliber revolvers so, by the time I became an adult, I was completely used to single action triggers and my 1911 purchases just cemented that even more for me. I'm an old dog now and I just don't have any desire to learn any new tricks.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#19]
MACs in any form, shape and configuration.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Browning high power.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I really want an FAL, but I've never shot one and I almost don't want to try one out of fear that I'll hate shooting it and my dreams will be crushed.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

FAL

I bought a IMBEL and tried to love it.

It was ununbalanced, too long, had horrible ergonomics, heavy, the sights were shit, and the accuracy was subpar. You aren't missing anything.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:52:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Much like 1911s....

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't own a M1A.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
the most overrated has got to be Rock island phillipino 1911- popularity has pushed prices well north of actual value
Second place goes to SA , clever marketing has made them able to pass off Brazil made firearms and components

M1a / M14 ( check out forgotten weapons you tube for real world evaluation of how this holds up in dirty environment)

Your whole post makes me lol.

I don't own a M1A.

Neither do I anymore , but I have owned everything I spoke about at one point
Just  my thoughts and opinions based on my experiences- pretty much like everybody else does in these types of threads

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Polymer pistols, striker fired pistols.  My first gun was a Glock, and it works well enough.  It sits in my nightstand to this day, but it just has no soul. Besides, I prefer CZ's.

Bull pups.  I respect what they can do, but they have weird ergonomics to me.  Haven't shot one yet, but I am not in a hurry to.

Sig P210.  Was always one of my grail guns, and I guess in a way it kind of still is.  I love the history of them and respect the craftsmanship. I thought shooting one would be a life changing experience...and it was just kind of..meh I mean it is accurate and nice to shoot, but it didn't do anything more for me than a high quality 1911 would.  Just doesn't feel like a gun that is worth the price tag it demands. Maybe my expectations were just too high.  Good gun, but not worth the hype I had given it IMO.  Plus with it being a full sized single stack 9mm, there really isn't much practical use for it outside of bulls eye shooting at the range.

Revolvers.  I have an sp101 in 22lr.  It is nice looking and very well made, just not a fan of wheel guns in general I suppose.  It's probably been 2 years since I shot the thing.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Shotguns with pistol grips.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Much like 1911s....  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much like 1911s....  

My stock Remington and Colts were dreams to shoot at the range.  Trigger wasn't tuned like a custom gun, but they weren't bad at all.  My BHP, while a sexy gun, has the worst SAO trigger I could ever even imagine.  If it wasn't a gun that I want to own just for the sake of owning due to its history and beauty, I would not be able to tolerate that thing.  I am not even picky about triggers, but that thing sucks.  As it is, I don't feel a need to modify it due to the fact that I rarely shoot it, but it is a damn shame they decided put the mag disconnect all those years ago. I know it can be removed, but still.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Glocks (most all semi-auto pistols, actually)
"Boutique" ARs
Saiga shotguns
Anything in .22
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Ruger revolvers and pistols

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Glocks- I shoot them ok but they just feel like shit in my hand.

bullpups- I just plain hate the looks and refuse to try one.

1911's- I like them, but I'm not spending a grand to get a good one that will hold up to a lot of shooting when I can spend half that on a poly gun that is just as good or better.
View Quote

you must immediately choke yourself for this comment
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#30]
AR-15 carbines.  The 20" barreled A-2 is plenty short for anything I want to do with it.  Even that is a bit short and light for much of the kind of shooting I do.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Beretta 92 or any variant
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Handle and shoot one, you will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Garand 's, don't get it at all.

Handle and shoot one, you will.

BTDT, no thanks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Revolvers
View Quote

WAT!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

It was ununbalanced, too long, had horrible ergonomics, heavy, the sights were shit, and the accuracy was subpar. You aren't missing anything.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FAL

But, but, Rhodesia!  Goose Green!  NI!  
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Glocks, AKs, most any other communist block weapon.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I understand some not likeing mosins, but how can any red blooded american not like the Garand.
View Quote
While I absolutely appreciate and understand the historical significance of the Garand, it's a really heavy semi-auto 30-06.

Not interested at all.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The weird thing with me is that I shoot better with a longer pull, especially with revolvers. I'm pretty decent using D/A, but my shooting goes to shit as soon as I start using S/A.
Assbackwards...
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#38]
All M&P's
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Any .22.  Just find them boring and pointless.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
My stock Remington and Colts were dreams to shoot at the range.  Trigger wasn't tuned like a custom gun, but they weren't bad at all.  My BHP, while a sexy gun, has the worst SAO trigger I could ever even imagine.  If it wasn't a gun that I want to own just for the sake of owning due to its history and beauty, I would not be able to tolerate that thing.  I am not even picky about triggers, but that thing sucks.  As it is, I don't feel a need to modify it due to the fact that I rarely shoot it, but it is a damn shame they decided put the mag disconnect all those years ago. I know it can be removed, but still.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Much like 1911s....  

How recently was your Colt made? Because 1911s from the mid 1990s and before had to be sent to a smith. I have an '80s production Series 80 that to this day still won't feed JHP. After a ramp job, polish, etc.... but I have next to nothing invested in the gun as a whole.

There was once a time when the 1911 was a rattle trap FFMJ only gun. It is one of the reasons why revolvers were around for so long as cop guns.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

AR-15 carbines.  The 20" barreled A-2 is plenty short for anything I want to do with it.  Even that is a bit short and light for much of the kind of shooting I do.
View Quote
Dissipator Carbine is perfection. 16 inch barrel with 20 inch sights.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

All M&P's
View Quote
Yup... had one also that I tried to love. It is shit.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
1) colt pythons. $1500 started price for a wheel gun with on ok trigger?I like smiths but they are getting $$ too

2) $5000/50,000 shotguns. I just do not get it..
View Quote

3 Machine guns. fun for 3 seconds then you realize all they do is waste ammo.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Glock with factory frame and trigger.
AK/SKS after imported steel cased 7.62x39 matched the price of steel cased .223
Mosin
Bullpups
Saiga/VEPR Shotguns
FAL
HK roller lock rifles
Kel-Tec
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All M&P's

Really? I shot a full size 9mm last week for the first time and I liked it a lot.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

As someone who used an M16A4 for 8 years......fuck the M16.  The M4 is better in almost every way.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Idea is a 20" dissy.  Extend the sight radius to 24".  You would need to make long handguards for it, and probably put a concealed gas block in the 20" position.

My A-2 is the second shortest rifle I have, next to my 10/22.

ETA:  The rifle I like the best at the moment is my AR-15 Space Gun with its 26" barrels.  It weighs in at 14 pounds.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:58:46 PM EDT
[#48]
10/22 & Mosin's
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Most any .22 rimfire.

SCAR.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Glocks. Lord knows I've tried. They just feel wrong in my hand.

Bullpups. Ugly and awkward looking.
View Quote
Both for me too.

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top