Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2015 9:54:20 PM EDT
http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2015/03/27/new-york-passes-bill-authorize-elk-season-elk-present-state/

If there are no elk in the forest, can you have an elk season? Apparently New York lawmakers are entertaining the idea, as a bill that recently passed the state’s Senate Environmental Conservation Committee will authorize moose and elk hunts in the state. This is despite that fact that elk have been expatriated from New York since the late 1800s.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Elk is tasty and HUGE.

I would love to have an entire elk, ground up in the freezer.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#2]
These are the people running our life
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#3]

No snipe?

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Are they even allowed to own a hunting rifle anymore?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No snipe?

View Quote

No moose either
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Falls right between brontosaurus and terradactyl seasons.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Fucked up part is that people would probably buy the licenses.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No moose either

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No snipe?

No moose either

There is moose, well at least in my area there is just a very small number. Hell had one a few years ago that walked right through the town early one morning. And a few have been spotted else wear around my area as well. I'll see if I can find pics.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:22:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Elk are yummy.

Moose are yummier.

ETA elk...and moose...

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't you mean a sniper rifle?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#11]
There are definitely moose in NY. I have seen them. Unlike cats, there is no mistaking a moose for anything else.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Now you see how they can have a season for a non-existant animal with non-existant implements. genius.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Never had Moose. Is it really tastier than Elk?.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:32:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There are definitely moose in NY. I have seen them. Unlike cats, there is no mistaking a moose for anything else.
View Quote

Upstate is being repopulated with many long gone animals.  Farmers I know way up In north country continuously report mountain lions as well moose.  Elk have been reported as escaping from PA farms and wondering up here.  There is even a movement in the ADK to have wolves repopulated.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:33:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Nobody needs more than ten bullets to kill a non existing elk!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Elk is usually outstanding, but moose is better.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2015/03/27/new-york-passes-bill-authorize-elk-season-elk-present-state/

If there are no elk in the forest, can you have an elk season? Apparently New York lawmakers are entertaining the idea, as a bill that recently passed the state’s Senate Environmental Conservation Committee will authorize moose and elk hunts in the state. This is despite that fact that elk have been expatriated from New York since the late 1800s.
View Quote
View Quote

"expatriated" or "extirpated"?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#18]
There ARE moose in NY state.  It is not some government secret.  Also, There was a fenced in Elk farm near my house a few years ago.  What a thrill to wake up on an early august moring to hear a bull elk bugling down the road.

The elk farm is gone, and some of them had escaped.  I've seen tracks in the snow when I was hunting that were way to big to be a whitetail deer.....
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:29:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:37:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Upstate is being repopulated with many long gone animals.  Farmers I know way up In north country continuously report mountain lions as well moose.  Elk have been reported as escaping from PA farms and wondering up here.  There is even a movement in the ADK to have wolves repopulated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're not escaping farms, we have a wild elk population with a season every year in several counties, all of which are near the NY border.  There was almost an agreement to give a few to NY to stock in the Catskills,  but worry over CWD shut it down.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:37:47 AM EDT
[#21]
There are still Moose in NY, not very many but they are there.  As for elk, KY has been successful in reestablishing an elk herd, no reason why NY can't do the same.

NY has some pretty big unpopulated tracts of forest.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:39:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:40:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:41:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There are still Moose in NY, not very many but they are there.  As for elk, KY has been successful in reestablishing an elk herd, no reason why NY can't do the same.

View Quote

The state is run by city slickers who are engaged in an ethnic cleansing campaign against Upstate. That's why.

Edited to add: There are quite a few moose in New York. Over 300 was the count I heard several years ago. Every once in a while Bubba shoots one and then gets arrested after word spreads.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:50:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wouldn't say "still" rather that some are wandering back.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't say "still" rather that some are wandering back.  

I think "viable herd" would be better used here.  You guys have had isolated pockets of animals and they were never really gone.  From the perspective of a viable herd...yeah they are gone.  

Probably gone forever due to ticks.

Elk on the other hand stand a real chance of being reintroduced.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:51:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Now you see how they can have a season for a non-existant animal with non-existant implements. genius.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The political benefit...

Hunting groups and animal rights groups make campaign contributions too!

To those in NY that will listen.  DO NOT let your DNR reintroduce wolves.  It will only take a very few years for wolves to multiply exponentially.  Once that occurs your Whitetail herd will be decimated within 5 years.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:08:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The political benefit...

To those in NY that will listen.  DO NOT let your DNR reintroduce wolves.  It will only take a very few years for wolves to multiply exponentially.  Once that occurs your Whitetail herd will be decimated within 5 years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The political benefit...

I have a camp in the Catskills near margaretteville........what are these whitetail herds that you speak of?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:11:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:24:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There a million of them infesting places like syracuae and ithaca. Google Cornell's hilarious attempts to control them
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The political benefit...

I have a camp in the Catskills near margaretteville........what are these whitetail herds that you speak of?
There a million of them infesting places like syracuae and ithaca. Google Cornell's hilarious attempts to control them

Can't be worse then the fucking Long Island approach:

We have too many deer, we need to get rid of them.

Maybe we should open hunting season?

Fuck that, we'll hire private hunters to cull 6000 deer.

*later that year*

Phew! Culls done, how many did we bag?

What?! 169 for a all-summer cull?! Maybe we should open hunting season. But lets keep permit number at the original number and prevent the hunters from going into the park lands where the deer live.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If wolves overrun NYC than the cops could just shoot them. Wolves are dogs right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The political benefit...

If wolves overrun NYC than the cops could just shoot them. Wolves are dogs right?

Sounds like fun, let's do it!
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:33:38 AM EDT
[#33]
I don't think that article knows what expatriated means.

Probably meant extirpated
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:47:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Elk is tasty and HUGE.

I would love to have an entire elk, ground up in the freezer.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Politicians.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Didn't Ithaca try sterilization or some stupid shit?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:09:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

They're not escaping farms, we have a wild elk population with a season every year in several counties, all of which are near the NY border.  There was almost an agreement to give a few to NY to stock in the Catskills,  but worry over CWD shut it down.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This NY elk season is because people in southern NY want to shoot those big ass PA elk that wander across the border. I don't blame them!

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No moose either
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No snipe?

No moose either

There's moose in CT. Not a real population but we got em.

Bet you got a few.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ever see a moose strolling through a NY ghetto? I have...
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If an elk is killed in New York, will anyone care?

View Quote

Only if a butterfly simultaneously flaps its wings in China.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No snipe?

View Quote

There is already a season on snipe.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Farmers I know way up In north country continuously report mountain lions as well moose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Farmers I know way up In north country continuously report mountain lions as well moose.

I saw a black panther/mountain lion/cougar in western New York; Livingston County, Groveland area.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have absolutely no doubt that over by Salamanca there are elk that have migrated out of PA  into NY.  I've seen too many elk on the PA side of the line in and near the PA Wilds for that not to be happening.

And I've seen moose wandering around the Binghamton and Broome County area, as well as having worked with the moron who shot one of them back in the 1980s (he worked at the company I was a regular visitor to while in the AF).  And I can attest to having seen four or five dead mountain lions along various highways in the area.

There have got to be a larger number of elk running around if the state is even mentioning the idea of hunting them.  When they wouldn't admit to the existence of moose and mountain lions in NY they would tell hunters: "They don't exist around here.  But if you kill one it's going to be a $10,000 fine."   To even say that a hunting season for elk could ever happen is to admit that there are elk in NY in numbers that are growing too big to ignore or keep covered up.

I just wish I could get in on the PA elk season at some point in the future.  As it is, they're talking about taking excess elk from the herds in western PA and relocating them into eastern PA.  That would put an elk population into the 7000 acre state game lands about a half mile from our house.  And when they open eastern PA up for elk season, I'm gonna be so there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The political benefit...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The political benefit...

Our coyotes have a good bit of wolf DNA mixed in.

http://www.esf.edu/pubprog/brochure/coyote/coyote.htm
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I saw a black panther/mountain lion/cougar in western New York; Livingston County, Groveland area.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know more then one person from that area that has seen them as well..
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Funny because, I just had an Elk Burger last night.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/17/17994148d5ab3027e4d9737ee7e8c5b186ab99ac07dd0071f2581fb70d8f2a58.jpg

Arbor Hill, was walking right down Henry Johnson Boulvard. Fucking hysterical!
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

IBM site Somers, NY.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The political benefit...

IBM site Somers, NY.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top