User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:51:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
U

Michigan will soon dominate the world's agricultural markets.  You heard it here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
U
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And soon we'll have Iranian pistachios again and I won't have to smuggle them in from Windsor.

Do they still dry them on the sand, then dye them red to hide the dirt stains?

Is that the origin of the red dye? Neato!

But seriously. Iranian pistachios are delicious. Smaller, but a great, stronger flavor.

Breeding for maximum weight at the expense of flavor hurts a lot of American products, IMO.

Michigan will soon dominate the world's agricultural markets.  You heard it here.

Most of the tomatoes in our grocery store are already from Michigan.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:53:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Very, very few people on here understand water rights, use, and resources west of the Rockies.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Market forces will shrink CA agriculture to more proper levels. For a state so hellbent on foisting a 'sustainability' agenda on the US, it's funny that you guys let lettuce farmers suck up your water. Irony right there.

no,  it certainly will not.  market forces will ensure that the water goes to the most profitable place.  historically, this has sent water from the sierras, northern CA, UT, WY, NV, and AZ to the central valley and southern california.  socal's economy is bigger than all the rest combined, and there is no reason to assume that this will change in the foreseeable future.  no market logic incentivizes it--market forces actually disincentivize it.  

under the current water rights structure in the west--prior appropriation--no individual producer will ever have an economically rational reason to consume less water...unless some form of regulation is instituted.  there are other individual incentives to conserve water, but the market is not one of them.

i'm not slamming you here, but the simplistic presumption that market forces are a panacea for water problems is terribly uninformed.  it fails in theory, and it has also repeatedly been shown to fail empirically.
Very, very few people on here understand water rights, use, and resources west of the Rockies.

Don't CA farmers pay for their water? And with the drying reservoirs and reduced supply, hasn't the price gone up? Or is there some old-timey laws at play here?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:58:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

But seriously. Iranian pistachios are delicious. Smaller, but a great, stronger flavor.

Breeding for maximum weight at the expense of flavor hurts a lot of American products, IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And soon we'll have Iranian pistachios again and I won't have to smuggle them in from Windsor.

It's kind of a neat history, they started laying out rolls of paper to dry California pistachios so they would dry clean, but it took awhile to gain market acceptanceof natural colored pistachios so they still dyed them until recently.

And it's not just a flavor issue with many modern strains, but a nutritional one.  Breeding for size and yield has left us with an over abundance but of poorer quality.  Even in commodity items like corn.  Modern hybrids yield more, but have no where near the nutritional value traditional of the older heirloom varieties.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:27:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Real funny .... look it up dork
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ill say it again .... what about the great lake waster FBHO is selling to china

So they fill up iron ore haulers with water to ship all thry way to China?

Interdasting.

Real funny .... look it up dork

Sure thing..........

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:52:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well, I have been around a fair amount and this is the first time it has been that big a problem in my lifetime, so this is something new, regardless of the population.

Famine. Yes. The Chinese system of control that works so well. Thanks for your good wishes for everyone's sake.

Hope you don't like strawberries, peaches, plums, nectarines, almonds, or about three dozen other crops. Yeah, I live in a state that produces more food than yours ever did. We thought the same thing at one time, too. No worries, right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dupe for a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe if we let them die of thirst they'll go back to Mexico...maybe then they can ask the UN for bottled water.

It may not look like it, but that's about 35 percent of your weekly meals you are looking at in those pictures.

And.....too many people in too small an area to support them. Liberals talk about sustainability, but guess what? They don't live it.

A big die off would help. Some will get by, some won't. Luckily I live in a state that provides the 2nd most of it's food from local/in state sources behind AK and we damn sure aren't running out of water in my lifetime.

Well, I have been around a fair amount and this is the first time it has been that big a problem in my lifetime, so this is something new, regardless of the population.

Famine. Yes. The Chinese system of control that works so well. Thanks for your good wishes for everyone's sake.

Hope you don't like strawberries, peaches, plums, nectarines, almonds, or about three dozen other crops. Yeah, I live in a state that produces more food than yours ever did. We thought the same thing at one time, too. No worries, right?

My state is better that your state?  
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:06:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Agriculture is the number one business for Ohio. We grow lots of stuff here, and the vast majority of it does not require irrigation to grow.  Drive through the midwest sometime, and check out the mile and miles of farms.
My beef, corn and wheat are local, as well as dairy products. Sure, I might not get lettuce or strawberries year round, but I don't need to.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

the American West/Southwest goes through some pretty intense drought cycles...

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site568/2014/0127/20140127_031535_ssjm0126megadry90_500.jpg

those two 200-year droughts wiped out plenty of early Native American cultures.  if youre gonna live in an area thats historically been arid, build up your reservoirs and get some desalination plants ready to go for the next time that mother nature decides to cut off the spigot  
View Quote
Yep.

It blows my mind that people would intentionally inhabit such an area, and then flip the fuck out and yell for help when the inevitable occurs.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It blows my mind that people would intentionally inhabit such an area, and then flip the fuck out and yell for help when the inevitable occurs.

View Quote

Californians gonna California.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:52:14 PM EDT
[#10]
IY
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
U
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

However, it’s California that ranks top for tomato production, both fresh-market and tomatoes for processing (turned into juice, sauce, paste, salsa, etc.), according to the USDA. Here’s the list of top tomato-growing states for fresh-market tomatoes:

California
Florida
Virginia
Georgia
Ohio
Tennessee
North Carolina
New Jersey
Michigan

And the top states for producing tomatoes for processing:

California
Indiana
Ohio
Michigan

Do you even google, bro?

California produces 53% of the U.S. tomato supply, Michigan, less than 2%

I doubt there's a single one of those stinking Michigan Cancer Tomatoes in this entire state.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Ima head to californ-eye-ay for the new gold rush. When all that frozen cocaine and strawberry melts, there will be a shit ton of gold to be found.

Hello modern 49'ers!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:59:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Shoulda built desalinization plants a long time ago.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
However, it’s California that ranks top for tomato production, both fresh-market and tomatoes for processing (turned into juice, sauce, paste, salsa, etc.), according to the USDA. Here’s the list of top tomato-growing states for fresh-market tomatoes:

California

Florida

Virginia

Georgia

Ohio

Tennessee

North Carolina

New Jersey

Michigan

California

Indiana

Ohio

Michigan
Do you even google, bro?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

U

Quoted:

California

Florida

Virginia

Georgia

Ohio

Tennessee

North Carolina

New Jersey

Michigan

California

Indiana

Ohio

Michigan
Do you even google, bro?

Is that the best you got?

You can grow tomatoes everywhere.

How about beef, hogs, corn, wheat, potatoes, soybeans .....you know the stuff we eat.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:17:02 PM EDT
[#14]
tcrpe:

California

Florida

Virginia

Georgia

Ohio

Tennessee

North Carolina

New Jersey

Michigan

California

Indiana

Ohio

Michigan
Do you even google, bro?

I doubt there's a single one of those stinking Michigan Cancer Tomatos in this entire state.
View Quote

Yes, but how much of the tomato crop is irrigated in Cali ? Water seems to be the problem....
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:18:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:22:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

How about beef, hogs, corn, wheat, potatoes, soybeans .....you know the stuff we eat.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

U
Quoted:

California

Florida

Virginia

Georgia

Ohio

Tennessee

North Carolina

New Jersey

Michigan

California

Indiana

Ohio

Michigan
Do you even google, bro?

California is #4 for cattle, a total non-entity for hogs, soybeans and wheat, #41 for corn, #3 for potatoes, and #2 for rice.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:23:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
U
Quoted:

California
Florida
Virginia
Georgia
Ohio
Tennessee
North Carolina
New Jersey
Michigan

California
Indiana
Ohio
Michigan

Do you even google, bro?

Since you failed so miserably with the tomato deal, which you brought up, and you're going to move the goalposts again, do you own looking up.

Like I said, DO YOU EVEN GOOGLE, BRO?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:25:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Ghk abandoned the Kali lovefest thread??
Was he upset because we didn't all agree with him on how great kalistan is?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yep.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site568/2014/0127/20140127_031535_ssjm0126megadry90_500.jpg

those two 200-year droughts wiped out plenty of early Native American cultures.  if youre gonna live in an area thats historically been arid, build up your reservoirs and get some desalination plants ready to go for the next time that mother nature decides to cut off the spigot  
Yep.

Wait until a major weeks long blackout hits Phoenix in August.  That would be chaos and there is a reason why that many people should not live in the desert.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:26:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Ghk abandoned the Kali lovefest thread??

Was he upset because we didn't all agree with him on how great kalistan is?
View Quote
I'm a Californian and even I think he's a clueless twat.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:29:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

California
Florida
Virginia
Georgia
Ohio
Tennessee
North Carolina
New Jersey
Michigan

California
Indiana
Ohio
Michigan

Do you even google, bro?

I doubt there's a single one of those stinking Michigan Cancer Tomatoes in this entire state.
View Quote

I am allergic to tomatoes and it is damn easy to live without them.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:33:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

California
Florida
Virginia
Georgia
Ohio
Tennessee
North Carolina
New Jersey
Michigan

California
Indiana
Ohio
Michigan

Do you even google, bro?

You better care about those Goddamn tomatoes if you know what's good for you!! Think about all the water-deprived farmers in California that are gonna be droughted to death if you don't care about California Tomatoes!! Won't you think of those poor farmers??

You heartless bastard

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:35:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

California
Florida
Virginia
Georgia
Ohio
Tennessee
North Carolina
New Jersey
Michigan

California
Indiana
Ohio
Michigan

Do you even google, bro?

Your personal experience does not change the facts.  

So, you eat nothing at all from California?

And that Lake Superior water?  That's cancer water, I wouldn't wash my car with that shit.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:19:13 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Don't CA farmers pay for their water? And with the drying reservoirs and reduced supply, hasn't the price gone up? Or is there some old-timey laws at play here?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Get both?

West of the Rockies is a patchwork of crazy laws; water rights, rights of use, upstream and downstream laws etc.  Some are new, some date from the territory days.

California specifically has all sorts of fee's for Farmers to get access to their "own" water, as well as water from other sources.

Here's a quick blurb about it, and what the current trend is. http://blogs.kqed.org/science/2014/09/17/what-to-know-about-californias-new-groundwater-law/

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:22:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

snip

Your personal experience does not change the facts.  

So, you eat nothing at all from California?

And that Lake Superior water?  That's cancer water, I wouldn't wash my car with that shit.
View Quote
Given your state, I wouldn't talk shit about carcinogens of other states, since everything is known to give Californians cancer.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:24:25 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

California is #4 for cattle, a total non-entity for hogs, soybeans and wheat, #41 for corn, #3 for potatoes, and #2 for rice.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

California

Florida

Virginia

Georgia

Ohio

Tennessee

North Carolina

New Jersey

Michigan

California

Indiana

Ohio

Michigan
Do you even google, bro?

And don't you forget it!  

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Article in the Washington Post today. Folks probably already know about this. You know who the idiot was that chose to bring water (and population) to the SoCal desert? Governor Moonbeam's dad. Yup, it takes a Democrat to be that stupid.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Article in the Washington Post today. Folks probably already know about this. You know who the idiot was that chose to bring water (and population) to the SoCal desert? Governor Moonbeam's dad. Yup, it takes a Democrat to be that stupid.
View Quote

i find it odd that the article cited 'cadillac desert', but doesn't mention that the effort to water socal was underway long before either brown (which was the point of the book).
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Wait until a major weeks long blackout hits Phoenix in August.  That would be chaos and there is a reason why that many people should not live in the desert.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

in the 90's we lost power almost two weeks when a grid went down from something that happened in Oregon.no chaos happened

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Fuck it. Lets hook up all our water hoses and sprinklers and loan them to the OP so he can save the planet.

Seriously, WTF do you want us to do about it? It is a fucking drought. It WILL fucking rain eventually. We will have to wait it out and adjust.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Fuck it. Lets hook up all our water hoses and sprinklers and loan them to the OP so he can save the planet.

Seriously, WTF do you want us to do about it? It is a fucking drought. It WILL fucking rain eventually. We will have to wait it out and adjust.
View Quote
OP is the kind of nancy ass bitches we have to deal with every day out here.  One's that don't know shit but still go around doing the whole Climate Change - We're Doomed crap.

Unfortunately, they run the State.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:39:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yet Californians demanding the whole country change because they fuck things up Is cool because?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Califonia" is like a magic word that summons forth a gaggle of Arfcom idiots who spew forth poorly informed, badly articulated, ignorant and uneducated garbage and then wait around for a pat on the back from their equally retarded peers.

Its like either clockwork, or magic, or maybe a force of nature, but its real and its predictable.  Fucking dipshits.

Yet Californians demanding the whole country change because they fuck things up Is cool because?

SHHH. He's on his high horse don't bother him.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not to mention California can't legislate in other states. If other states pass stupid laws that their fault.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Califonia" is like a magic word that summons forth a gaggle of Arfcom idiots who spew forth poorly informed, badly articulated, ignorant and uneducated garbage and then wait around for a pat on the back from their equally retarded peers.

Its like either clockwork, or magic, or maybe a force of nature, but its real and its predictable.  Fucking dipshits.

LOL what?

Massive droughts aren't a legislative issue.

Not to mention California can't legislate in other states. If other states pass stupid laws that their fault.

CA takes water from other states with no problems.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:44:32 PM EDT
[#34]
I never believed in global warming.

After seeing these pics, I can see that it is happening in California.  Probably due to all the hot air and smugness emnating from politicians and Hollywood actors mouths.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

After seeing these pics, I can see that it is happening in California.  Probably due to all the hot air and smugness emnating from politicians and Hollywood actors mouths.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Actually, anyone who can't see this for what it is, just another revenue collection scheme, is an idiot.

DUBLIN (KPIX 5) – Amid California’s record drought, the City of Dublin is breaking ground on a massive new water park. Residents are wondering about the timing of the project.

At Dublin’s Emerald Glen Park the grass gets recycled water, the kid’s spray jets have been shut off and the large fountain is dry as a bone, all to save water. So it’s a little surprising to learn they’re about to build a $35 million water park.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

They fall strangely quiet when asked for even the most modest in specifics.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 5:26:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Put in several pipelines to run water from the east to the west.  Minimize flooding back east.   Reduce drought issues in the west.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

LOL what?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL what?

Legislative issues include water projects that environmentalist of the 70s opposed.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Put in several pipelines to run water from the east to the west.  Minimize flooding back east.   Reduce drought issues in the west.

View Quote
Wouldn't work.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Wouldn't work.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't work.  

You answered it alot more civily than I would have.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Those weren't cocaine piles. That was food.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OMG, raise taxes to bring back the cocaine piles on the mountain!

Those weren't cocaine piles. That was food.

So it was sugar?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
It may not look like it, but that's about 35 percent of your weekly meals you are looking at in those pictures.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe if we let them die of thirst they'll go back to Mexico...maybe then they can ask the UN for bottled water.

That doesn't mean there is no substitute.  It means the next substitute will be slightly more expensive.

Fine by me.  Fuck CA.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That doesn't mean there is no substitute.  It means the next substitute will be slightly more expensive.  

Fine by me.  Fuck CA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fine by me.  Fuck CA.

This, the void would be filled and we'd be better for NOT sending money to that fucking place.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Only simple minded retards call for the death of their fellow countrymen because they don't agree with their politics.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And.....too many people in too small an area to support them. Liberals talk about sustainability, but guess what? They don't live it.

A big die off would help. Some will get by, some won't. Luckily I live in a state that provides the 2nd most of it's food from local/in state sources behind AK and we damn sure aren't running out of water in my lifetime.

Already saw where a politican floated the idea of mass relocations paid for by the US government to other parts of the country, want to see an armed proptest go ahead. It's not the farmers that fucked the water supply, too many people in too small an area. Fuck em.

Only simple minded retards call for the death of their fellow countrymen because they don't agree with their politics.  
And I see that as some people actually seeing the threat properly.

Many liberals would like to see us in camps.  At best.

Yes, the US would be a better place without them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#46]
What is with all the threats?

"You're all going to starve.  Where will you get tomatoes?"

Every thread on this subject reeks of open threat and catastrophe.
Personally, I don't give a shit. It's weather. It does that sometimes. It may turn out that California may have to give up it's title of

top ag producer.  If it can't sustain it's produce production levels, then someone else will pick up the slack. It's a world wide market now thanks to Big Bill and others.  So if California didn't plan ahead during the last 60 years and build itself some storage capability for short water years when they have been profiting on good water years, then don't expect me to get weak in the knees, cry out in a panic and open my wallet when times get a little tough for them.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Fine by me.  Fuck CA.
View Quote

If we quit converting food into shitty fuel we could find a bunch.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup. +1
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top