User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Do it!

Or not.

It's either going to be great or a train wreck.  Do the math...
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't get your meat where you get your bread.
Don't stick your pen in the company ink.

I could list probably a hundred euphemisms that exist for the exact situation... for a good reason.

...and no, it didn't work for me the one time I tried it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This falls under the category of foolish, but it worked out well. I was a partner in a law firm.  I started dating an associate who was working on my cases.  We have been married for four years last Thursday, have two wonderful children and own a successful law firm. So while I shouldn't have dipped my quill in the company ink well, it worked out well in the end.

P.s. I know that my story is boring.
View Quote

I'm still waiting for the punch line...usually your stuff is pretty amusing.  

As for the OP,  screw your personal set of rules.  Going out on a date is not some sort of lifelong commitment. Since you apparently have an issue with workplace relationships,  sounds like a good topic for conversation after about the 6th or 7th date - bring it up on the first date, and it will probably be the last as well.  Go have some fun in the company of a pretty young woman - why make it so hard on yourself?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ask her how she deals with the microagressive cishetero male hegemony gender cage.
View Quote

Paging RustedAce.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Met first day at work. She was my manager (not hiring manager, so I'd not met her before).

First date six weeks later. Married a year after that. 20+ years now.

Her "joke" is that she was my boss then, and nothing has changed.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Just get some comprising pics in case it doesn't work out to keep her in line.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Having an outside relationship from work with a co-worker can be tricky. It can work and then again, it can blow up. A lot depends on the maturity of both and if one is still married or not.

Generally speaking, I say don't get your bread and your honey from the same hole. Tread carefully.

I will say this though, it's a better idea than having your next door neighbor as a fuck buddy..........
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Show her your PHD (Pretty huge D^%k)

Personally, I do not get involved socially with anybody in the workplace. I am friendly with coworkers and will socialize with them at the office. But I don't invite them into my personal life.
Professional distance… Work stays at work, home stays at home.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#9]
When I worked at a women's college an old mentor of mine there said, "Son, you don't make your meat and your bread in the same place."

My time there would've been less exciting but likely more beneficial to my career had I listened.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Worked with a guy that was banging a chick at work. An old guy that worked with us told him " you don't shit where you eat!".
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I dated a woman from work who lied to me from the minute she started talking to me.  I let myself get twisted up around her games and went nutso for a bit, something I've never done before.  

I am deeply embarrassed by my actions and regret even knowing who she is now.
View Quote

was she in a hospital?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Fuck her, fuck her brains out!

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#13]
No, follow what you feel
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:25:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would fo but that's just me.
View Quote

This,

Also, how much do you REALLY like your job/employer/career field?

FO
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Are you tired of your job?
If so, full speed ahead, Cap'n.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Cop at work dated a crazy female cop (shocking) and after he broke up with her his truck mysteriously burst into flames in front of his house.
View Quote

You have the best stories
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I married the Executive secretary
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

She is cute. I mean it!  You are a winner.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Been married to a wonderful women for 13+ years whom I met at work.

For all you no life basement dwellers who never get any.
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z56/dmtsc/IMG_0689.jpg

She is cute. I mean it!  You are a winner.

Actually I'm ugly, I've told he that marrying me was the stupidest thing I've ever seen her do.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#19]
See what happens. It doesn't have to be anything serious.

I met my wife at work, FWIW.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#20]
insufficient data. Are either one of you currently in any kind of relationship?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cop at work dated a crazy female cop (shocking) and after he broke up with her his truck mysteriously burst into flames in front of his house.

She wasn't a fan of mine either but at least I didn't lose a car over it. She just made bogus anonymous IA and OEEO complaints against me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Many years ago I started to date the HR girl.  We have been married now for about 10 years.  Couple of kids and life is good.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#23]
My wife and I met at work. in fact, we were both main operators of a certain instrument. she was on days, I was on evenings. she was / is the only smoking hot Medical Technologist I have ever seen live in a hospital lab. all the other females hated her because she was gorgeous, worked out every day and wore hot skirts and showed her legs off.

we didn't exactly get along for about a year, but one afternoon I thought I really needed to get to know her away from work and invited her to hang out after I got off work at 11:00 pm at a pub my non hospital coworkers went too. she showed up, I really wasn't expecting her too but she did and she got along with my friends. we ended up dating secretly for over a year and no one knew until one day I got pissed at the laboratory director and turned in my 2 weeks notice on the spot. he got a double whammy the next day when she went in and gave her 2 weeks notice and told him that she was leaving to go to another city with me.

today is my 16th wedding anniversary. I would do it over in a heart beat. she is still gorgeous at 50+. gave me a son that is a one in a million and I trust her completely.

sometimes there are rules made to be broken.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Most (non FSA) folks spend more than half their waking hours at work.   No reason not to date or have relationships if you are responsible (big IF!).   Marriage is another story with most company's HR policy.    
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#25]
millions of people do it,you only hear about the train wrecks.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Go for it. A chick that makes more than you do is a good thing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Isolated incident.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She wasn't a fan of mine either but at least I didn't lose a car over it. She just made bogus anonymous IA and OEEO complaints against me.

Isolated incident.

I wish.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:39:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Let's try this.
My boss hooked up with a manager a year older than his oldest kid. It leads to a divorce. But he keeps his ex as the secretary. She gets remarried and her husband goes to work for the same company. Finishes raising his kids.
I married the secretary.
View Quote

I need a fuckin scorecard for that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:45:53 PM EDT
[#30]
I've seen it work a few times.  Most of the time it ends in drama.  The last few times have ended in firings and we still may see some felony charges in one of them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:46:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:48:47 PM EDT
[#32]
I met my wife at work.  She was "several pay grades" above me.  All I can is, when you meet the right one, you'll know it in your soul. She will too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:50:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I met my wife at work.  She was "several pay grades" above me.  All I can is, when you meet the right one, you'll know it in your soul. She will too.
View Quote

If it's worth the job it's worth the job, but it better be worth the job.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:00:34 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Technically, she was my boss; according to DC employment law, the firm could not dismiss either of us due to any potential conflicts caused solely by the marital relationship.  We married, while still employed by the same giant international firm, and later migrated to different opportunities.  But it was absolutely beautiful and magical when we initially worked together at the same international firm, married.  Our practice managing partner researched DC employment law made sure it was kosher (Dear God, bless Roger for that)

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:13:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Worked with a guy that was banging a chick at work. An old guy that worked with us told him " you don't shit where you eat!".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Way I always heard it was "You don't make your honey where you make your bread."
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:27:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Are you a mature adult? Is she a mature adult?

Might as well at least test the waters.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top