Quoted:

... what's the earliest one can collect Social Security checks
View Quote

pretty early if you get disability for being too fat or something

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Negative. I want my fucking money back. With the compound interest THEY should have been earning on it.
View Quote

How can they earn interest on the money when they immediately spent it after you paid it?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm young, I'll never get my money back and I plan accordingly.  Many of those currently approaching retirement didn't have the benefit of the information that I do (the fund looked solvent when they were my age).  And they were promised that in exchange for contributing they would receive a benefit.  If we cut them off now, they go on welfare and food stamps and I end up paying anyway.  I just don't see the benefit of pulling the rug out from under them and reneging on a promise at this stage of the game.  There are many things I would cut first, particularly those in which the people receiving the benefits paid nothing.
View Quote

Bernie Madoff's fund looked good right up to the end too but anyone that looked at what was going on should have known that it was a ponzi scheme.  In both cases they were lied to.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Stop welfare, stop paying for illegals, stop foreign aid and all the other bullshit entitlements to people who have never done a single thing to support this country BEFORE you fuck over the people who built and ran the place.  Maybe then you won't tear the country apart.
View Quote

Everybody has a "Stop spending this first list" that's different.  That's why despite a predictable outcome we keep driving in the same direction.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hell no.  

But how about shutting down welfare or at least making work mandatory except for those with PROVEN disabilties.  They can start by fixing up the shitty streets, especially in downtown Atlanta
View Quote

Notice how no one has responded to a single one of the suggestions to cut every other FREEBIE benefit program first?

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Notice how no one has responded to a single one of the suggestions to cut every other FREEBIE benefit program first?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell no.  

But how about shutting down welfare or at least making work mandatory except for those with PROVEN disabilties.  They can start by fixing up the shitty streets, especially in downtown Atlanta

I have before.  Cut everything that's not in the Constitution, but don't play chicken because someone else has to flinch first.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:06:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So being under 40 I still have to pay but receive nothing ? How exactly can you justify that ? Not likely it could be supported by paying in a much reduced amount either...its nearly broke now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would support locking it down and continue to pay those over 40 years old until they die, but everyone under 40 is off the  future roles and pays a much reduced amount.

Those that are never enrolled don't pay, (unborn to under 18)

BUT! that'll never happen. Were are going to set this baby's auto pilot from 38,000 feet to 100 feet and ride this thing all the way in to France.

So being under 40 I still have to pay but receive nothing ? How exactly can you justify that ? Not likely it could be supported by paying in a much reduced amount either...its nearly broke now.

How can you justify denying benefits to those who have already been "taxed"?

Neither is morally superior.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

"Rob the young to pay for the old"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would support locking it down and continue to pay those over 40 years old until they die, but everyone under 40 is off the  future roles and pays a much reduced amount.

BUT! that'll never happen. Were are going to set this baby's auto pilot from 38,000 feet to 100 feet and ride this thing all the way in to France.

Wait, anybody under 40 will never see social security, but will have to pay for the over 40s until they day? (Even if is a reduced amount)

Am I reading this right?

But hey, expecting all the "old folks" to take 100% of the hit because you aren't going to see bennies anyhoo is the smart choice, right?

"So long as I don't have to take the hit......."

"Rob the old so the young won't have to pay."

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got my SS statement recently. If I'm "completely disabled" this year, I will get more in SS than I make currently at work, for the rest of my life.

Watch out for that banana peel.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:15:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have before.  Cut everything that's not in the Constitution, but don't play chicken because someone else has to flinch first.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell no.  

All I'm advocating is cut off the most diseased parts first, then see if you can save what's left.

If not, THEN amputate.

If we have the balls, collectively, to do it, instead of fueling class/age warfare against folks who have busted their asses their whole lives.

I know it's easier to advocate taking money from folks who don't scare you, but......
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I got my SS statement recently. If I'm "completely disabled" this year, I will get more in SS than I make currently at work, for the rest of my life.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For my age group 62 (75% of full benefits), at age 65, (100%). I think the age is going up to 67 for future retirees.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:24:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't give a rat's diseased ass what you call it, where it went or who misused or abused it.  We subsidize the scum that cross the border illegally and every ghetto rat in the western hemisphere, we pay poeple who have never worked to produce children that will never work.  We pay out billions in foreign aid to countries that hate us and we waste more money than every country in the history of the frigging world.

But we're going to fuck over people who worked all their lives to build and keep this country running?

Stop welfare, stop paying for illegals, stop foreign aid and all the other bullshit entitlements to people who have never done a single thing to support this country BEFORE you fuck over the people who built and ran the place.  Maybe then you won't tear the country apart.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been paying into it for nearly forty years.  Sure, shut it down - give me a few years where I actually get to keep my money and pump it into my own retirement plan.  But pay me the fuck back everything I've paid in, at whatever interest would be reasonable.  Otherwise, you're just stealing from me.  And doing it openly and unapologetically at that.

It's a tax.  Your representative spent it foolishly.  There is nothing to give back.  The reduction of SS benefits will be our austerity measures.

I don't give a rat's diseased ass what you call it, where it went or who misused or abused it.  We subsidize the scum that cross the border illegally and every ghetto rat in the western hemisphere, we pay poeple who have never worked to produce children that will never work.  We pay out billions in foreign aid to countries that hate us and we waste more money than every country in the history of the frigging world.

But we're going to fuck over people who worked all their lives to build and keep this country running?

It's easier to anonymously hector strangers on the internet.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell no.  

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

All I'm advocating is cut off the most diseased parts first, then see if you can save what's left.

If not, THEN amputate.

If we have the balls, collectively, to do it, instead of fueling class/age warfare against folks who have busted their asses their whole lives.

I know it's easier to advocate taking money from folks who don't scare you, but......
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

For my age group 62 (75% of full benefits), at age 65, (100%). I think the age is going up to 67 for future retirees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, they keep moving the carrot for retirement. I'm only 20 years in and I'm sure I will never collect. I'll be damned though if that disability doesn't look sweet as angel titties.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm okay with it, but I have only paid abut $1,000 into it.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:04:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably be pushed to 70yrs or more for 100% by the time I'm "eligible" with the average life expectancy for U.S. males hovering around 75 or 76...
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:40:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes. I'm never gonna see a dime anyway.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:32:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Most of those posting in this thread about SS are totally clueless about it!

Is it a good system?  Of course not, but most of you fools do not understand what it is or how it's funded!!!

Should we get rid of it?  Yeah, but then we would have to replace it with something else...

Presently, SS will be there for future generations - just not at the current benefit rate unless something is done. Now, if that "something" is to just keep going as is - that benefit rate will be seventy-seven cents on the dollar starting in 2032.

Except for SSDI which will face automatic reductions in 2016 unless something is done to alleviate the shortfall (even though the "left" will blame the "right" these cuts are already automatically in place).

Making OASDI sustainable is really not all that hard if we really wanted to fix it.

But everyone needs to understand that OASDI was never ever intended to be full-up retirement fund and personal financial retirement plans have always needed to be in place.

You can read the summary of the actual numbers and financial projections at this link, straight from the SS board of trustees:

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:00:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Zero welfare.  Zero EBT.  Zero foreign aid.  Use that money to bay back what was stolen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been paying into it for nearly forty years.  Sure, shut it down - give me a few years where I actually get to keep my money and pump it into my own retirement plan.  But pay me the fuck back everything I've paid in, at whatever interest would be reasonable.  Otherwise, you're just stealing from me.  And doing it openly and unapologetically at that.

Serious question-

How would they pay you back?  The money you paid in was gone as soon as it hit the bank.  They spent it to pay older benificiaries.  There is no money.  It is gone.  

It is the nature of a ponzi scheme.

So, yes...you were stolen from.  Now what?

Zero welfare.  Zero EBT.  Zero foreign aid.  Use that money to bay back what was stolen.

It wouldn't begin to touch the total.

Look at the budget.  Social security liabilities alone can consume virtually every single dollar that comes in as tax money.  Pretty much the entire executive branch is funded on borrowed money...as in all of DOD, every agency, everyone...all borrowed money.  If we just funded SS, there would be pretty much nothing left after that.  That is the scale of the problem.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:07:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I've been in the work force for 20 some years and have paid a shit ton of money into social security...I want mine.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:16:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Youngest I've known of was 19.  Some overweight dumb cunt that claimed PTSD.  She was quite a prize too... Her disability checks weren't enough for her to live her own fantasy life in metro Detroit somehow...  So she moved in with her ex that was way too kind to her.  He finally got fed up with her shit and tried to get her to leave,  she called the cops and claimed that he beat her.  While he was serving out the 9 months that he got for his troubles,  she sold his stuff to pay the remainder of rent until she was evicted by the landlord.  I don't know what happened to her after that.  I can only hope it involved a wood chipper though.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:17:28 AM EDT
[#22]
How the heck society thought this Ponzi scheme would last forever is totally beyond me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:18:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It wouldn't begin to touch the total.

Look at the budget.  Social security liabilities alone can consume virtually every single dollar that comes in as tax money.  Pretty much the entire executive branch is funded on borrowed money...as in all of DOD, every agency, everyone...all borrowed money.  If we just funded SS, there would be pretty much nothing left after that.  That is the scale of the problem.
View Quote

It is fucking HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:39:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How the heck society thought this Ponzi scheme would last forever is totally beyond me.
View Quote

Never....never underestimate human greed.

Free shit is loved by everyone.  People are happy to steal if they can say it isn't stealing...its taxing.

Human beings, in their natural state, are savages.  Savages steal, cheat, rob, rape, and lie.  All of our values try to minimize that, but it is still there.  

Social Security appeals to the savage.  He is able to steal without feeling the pressure of society telling him it is wrong.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:49:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No but I would support kicking everyone off that never paid a dime into it.
View Quote

This was the failure from the moment they allowed non paying people to collect.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:00:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No but I would support kicking everyone off that never paid a dime into it.

And take no more out than you put in...
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Here's a thought.

Why not start with cutting back/dismantling the "social programs" that weren't "paid into" by the folks receiving the money, as a start.

At least for able bodied members of society.

Too hard?

Too scary?

I would think screwing aging, productive members of society who have paid their dues should be the LAST option.

So long as some unemployed "lady" with her 6 kids are clogging a checkout at Wal-Mart with their cart of "free" steaks and ho-hos, let the little lady past mandatory retirement age at register 5 have her can of cat food.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:12:03 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a tax.  Your representative spent it foolishly.  There is nothing to give back.  The reduction of SS benefits will be our austerity measures.

And it would make fuck-all of a difference for Uncle Sams books.

We need to end Medicare too. Would free up about 60% of all spending.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:51:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yes. In before the old farts who want their share.
View Quote

That be me.  It is an important part of my retirement income?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

You'd be okay with what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would be OK with that.  I've paid in sbout $80K.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

You'd be okay with what?

Shutting the system down provided that I get back what I've put in.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Including the employer match?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Including the employer match?

Yes, that includes the employers' contributions.  But during the times I've been self employed I've paid the whole enchilada.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Absolutely.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd be okay with what?

Do you recognize that getting back what you've paid in is physically impossible since it's already been spent?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Do you recognize that getting back what you've paid in is physically impossible since it's already been spent?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd be okay with what?

No, he still thinks it is an interest bearing retirement account with his name on it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm 32. Never going to see a penny of it anyways.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#36]
In an instant should have been a poll response.  I'll never see it anyway so let me stop paying in now.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:43:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

we have already been taxed, some more than others. Problem is the government is broke and doesnt have the money to continue to pay out.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, anybody under 40 will never see social security, but will have to pay for the over 40s until they day? (Even if is a reduced amount)

Am I reading this right?

But hey, expecting all the "old folks" to take 100% of the hit because you aren't going to see bennies anyhoo is the smart choice, right?

"So long as I don't have to take the hit......."

the old have already been robbed, too late the change that.
Give me one reasonable reason why the young should have to pay for a scam program
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No, the money you put it is to pay off the debt from the previous generation.  YOU are stealing from ME to justify what was taken from you before I was even born.  If it continues, I will be stealing from my kid and his generation.  I am not a thief.

Shut that shit down!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the money you put it is to pay off the debt from the previous generation.  YOU are stealing from ME to justify what was taken from you before I was even born.  If it continues, I will be stealing from my kid and his generation.  I am not a thief.

Shut that shit down!

Pretty much, yeah.  

There is no money in that account.  What was taken from you, and me, has already been spent on somebody else. Gone. Dust in the wind.

We, as a country, are getting fucked by social security. If you look at it as a tax when you're paying it and welfare when you're being paid, it helps to illuminate its actual nature. The self-righteousness seems to dim when viewed from this perspective.  Yep, you've been getting fucked for many years.  It was wrong then, and it's wrong now. This program needs to die.

"But I been paying into it for years! I want mah money back!"
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'd be okay with what?

Money is fungible.

Quoted:

No, he still thinks it is an interest bearing retirement account with his name on it.

That's ridiculous, and not at all what I think.  See my comment above.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Pretty much, yeah.  

There is no money in that account.  What was taken from you, and me, has already been spent on somebody else. Gone. Dust in the wind.

We, as a country, are getting fucked by social security. If you look at it as a tax when you're paying it and welfare when you're being paid, it helps to illuminate its actual nature. The self-righteousness seems to dim when viewed from this perspective.  Yep, you've been getting fucked for many years.  It was wrong then, and it's wrong now. This program needs to die.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shut that shit down!

Pretty much, yeah.  

Exactly. It is no different than going straight up on welfare because you have been paying taxes in years past. If you want to justify it that way fine, but dont pretend its any different because its not.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

They been saying that since I was 32. Time flys bud the old thing happens to us all.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Money is fungible.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Money is fungible.

And we can just print more of it.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:21:53 AM EDT
[#44]
No, unless all past, present and future politicians forfeit all their benefits, I receive all their wealth tax free, and Hell freezes over. I was forced to pay into it for 48 years and I will collect what I'm owed. Not a single generation has had the votes to change it and never will. That's the sad truth. Until they do, suck it up and pay up.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

They been saying that since I was 32. Time flys bud the old thing happens to us all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember my dad saying the same thing also, he is now 70 and getting his just as I will someday.

The entitlement generation thinks they are special

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

^  This.  ^
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I remember my dad saying the same thing also, he is now 70 and getting his just as I will someday.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which one is the entitlement generation in your story?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
No, my Dad paid a LOT of money into SS and deserves to recoup at least some of that.  It's a bad program but just canceling the whole thing benefits the young guys by screwing the old guys.  We (woefully) got into this mess as a nation and I'd rather see us get out as a nation.
View Quote

the old guys let the program become insolvent
fuck em.
you created and bought into a ponzi scheme, when the scheme is up, dont expect to see your money
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:40:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of the ones wanting to not have to pay their share like those before them
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Pro: Social security ponzi scheme is shut down and the country is better off
Con: You won't receive anything you paid into it
View Quote

I just turned 31.  Pretty sure I'm never going to see a dime of it anyway, so from a purely selfish perspective I'd say shut it down yesterday.  From the perspective of what's best for the nation as a whole, I'd say phase it out gradually over the next 20 years.  Don't screw over the folks who are about to hit retirement, have been paying into it for 40-50 years and are counting on those payments.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top