Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Honesty most of Extorris posts both remind me of the fact that there are good guys out there, while somehow enforcing the bad cop stereotype at the same time. It's fucking amazing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Extorris and runcible are a good reminder that not all NY cops are power hungry Constitution shitting assholes. Another of the NY cops reminded me that many of them are.

Honesty most of Extorris posts both remind me of the fact that there are good guys out there, while somehow enforcing the bad cop stereotype at the same time. It's fucking amazing.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yep.

Every one of what I would consider "bad cops" have been shit-canned at my Dept.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
But police agencies COULD get rid of the turds, but they don't.

My department fired tons of guys every year.
Yep.

While that may be true, I'm wondering how many were fired because they didn't toe the line.

After all, who wants a partner who may or may not 'have his back.'..

But, since no formal records are kept of that...

Overall though... no change for me.  I've known and understood power corrupts before my days here.  No differently than our founders did.  That's why they set it up so all we had to do was pay attention and the Republic would survive.

There are simply certain things which politicians aren't going to tell the truth about.  Same with LEO.  It's human nature.  Those who disagree, don't want us paying attention.

I have always respected the work they do though and am truly amazed at how they are able to refrain from snuffing the life out of a turd who just raped or killed a kid.  Or many other of the horrific shit 'humans' will do to the innocent or weak.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ITT: Confirmation bias.
View Quote

Probably this. Its easy to see the memebers here don't like police. That's why a dead dog thread gets 8 pages or response and a dead cop thread only 2 pages.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ive seen some troll, but I have also seen business owners, computer nerds and mechanics troll so I ignore those ones. Ive seen others act like real humans who I can relate to. That makes me feel better about police.... SO its improved. Although I still don't trust them..
View Quote

Business owners, computer nerds, and mechanics usually won't shoot your dog out of hand.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

While that may be true, I'm wondering how many were fired because they didn't toe the line.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

Are you asking if people were fired because they weren't willing to play along?

Never that I know of.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Most of the LE on this board seem pretty solid, but they aren't nearly enough to balance out the overwhelmingly negative personal experiences I've had with LE and the general mindset that I've seen within the LE community.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

The guys I worked with who were fired got shitcanned because they didn't toe the line in regards to not doing drugs, not driving drunk, not beating the shit out of their wife, and not committing various felonies and misdemeanors.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#9]
So we are to judge an entire profession on the 10% (being overly generous on purpose) that say and do stupid shit?

Is every Christian to be judged based on the actions of the Westboro retards?

Is every Hispanic to be judged by the MS13 gang members actions?

Do we judge the .mil by the actions of Nidal Hasan?

Blame the individual, not the group.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

So we are to judge an entire profession on the 10% (being overly generous on purpose) that say and do stupid shit?

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

don't forget muslims and terrorists in your list. haha that will go over like a lead balloon here.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Next thing you know, we'll be judging entire states based on their elected representatives.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Next thing you know, we'll be judging entire states based on their elected representatives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Or ARF members based on number of stars.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#14]
lol.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You all take the internet way to seriously.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

VacaDuck I would like you to meet GD. GD this is VacaDuck. You two play nice now.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

VacaDuck I would like you to meet GD. GD this is VacaDuck. You two play nice now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Extorris and runcible are a good reminder that not all NY cops are power hungry Constitution shitting assholes. Another of the NY cops reminded me that many of them are.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Never that I know of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

After all, who wants a partner who may or may not 'have his back.'..

But, since no formal records are kept of that...

Overall though... no change for me. I've known and understood power corrupts before my days here. No differently than our founders did. That's why they set it up so all we had to do was pay attention and the Republic would survive.

There are simply certain things which politicians aren't going to tell the truth about. Same with LEO. It's human nature. Those who disagree, don't want us paying attention.

I have always respected the work they do though and am truly amazed at how they are able to refrain from snuffing the life out of a turd who just raped or killed a kid. Or many other of the horrific shit 'humans' will do to the innocent or weak.

Never that I know of.

I don't expect you to even acknowledge what I'm talking about.

As evidenced by what you chose to delete from my post and then attempt to get me to go down a different road.   Again.  Human nature.

So, I took the liberty of adding it back in.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Before arfcom I supported police without question, reflexively. After joining arfcom and seeing how LEOs responded to YouTube videos of police abusing their authority and civilians, my opinion began to change. It seems like every shoot is a good shoot, every beat down, every choking or head stomping is good. I began to see that the blue line was very real, and many police have an us vs. them mentality.

My wife has noticed it and often comments about how my attitude toward the police has changed so much. I am still inclined to give LEOs the benefit of the doubt, but I am also more willing to criticize any failure on their part to maintain a very high standard of professional behavior.
View Quote

Meh, many here just don't want their confirmation bias challenged with facts and insight, which is usually the problem in 90% of LE threads here.  You just don't like the answers, and ultimately that is your problem.

You can't go to any LE thread and not see the ridiculous blanket condemnations and hyperbole directed at the profession based on one incident....and often times a poor understanding of said incident legally and as pertains to the use of force (which quite frankly most people don't understand.)  

Given that, I think the cops here do fine, and I would not blame them one bit for just throwing up their hands and do nothing but troll threads with jokes, etc.  That sword cuts both ways.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#25]
The more I hear cops vent and the attitudes they have, the more I want to pull the plug on the whole system and start over. (As in stop funding a police department through tax dollars.)
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:59:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Meh, many here just don't want their confirmation bias challenged with facts and insight, which is usually the problem in 90% of LE threads here.  You just don't like the answers, and ultimately that is your problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Before arfcom I supported police without question, reflexively. After joining arfcom and seeing how LEOs responded to YouTube videos of police abusing their authority and civilians, my opinion began to change. It seems like every shoot is a good shoot, every beat down, every choking or head stomping is good. I began to see that the blue line was very real, and many police have an us vs. them mentality.

My wife has noticed it and often comments about how my attitude toward the police has changed so much. I am still inclined to give LEOs the benefit of the doubt, but I am also more willing to criticize any failure on their part to maintain a very high standard of professional behavior.

If you don't like Obama's answers, ultimately that's your problem.

See how that works.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

See how that works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See how that works.

No, that doesn't work but nice try.  When people do not understand legalities and the use of force, it is hardly akin to Obama's political opinions.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No, that doesn't work but nice try.  When people do not understand legalities and the use of force, it is hardly akin to Obama's political opinions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See how that works.

That's what lawyers ( politicians ) say about so many things.  And they twist shit around knowing that their machine can outspend the average person in defense of the spin.

ETA:  Which side of the machine cuts your paycheck ?

Human nature.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Dealing with cops is like a box of chocolates.
View Quote

Try working with them.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Try working with them.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try working with them.  

No thanks, I am too old to meet the hiring requirements.     Oh, I also couldn't stand the pay cut.  

I will say this, the old school cops just beat you up or slammed you around a bit and then cut you loose.  These days, you are taking a ride for those same things.  It makes one a little conflicted on which way is better.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No thanks, I am too old to meet the hiring requirements.     Oh, I also couldn't stand the pay cut.  

I will say this, the old school cops just beat you up or slammed you around a bit and then cut you loose.  These days, you are taking a ride for those same things.  It makes one a little conflicted on which way is better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try working with them.  

Yep a product of the times and the fact just about every crime has an advocacy group pushing an agenda.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's that one, big orange-ish looking star under your avatar?

Is that like the training wheels of ARFCOM membership?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:58:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

As evidenced by what you chose to delete from my post and then attempt to get me to go down a different road.   Again.  Human nature.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Never that I know of.

I only removed it because I prefer to trim posts, and the part I left was the part I wanted to address.

No ulterior motive.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Probably this. Its easy to see the memebers here don't like police. That's why a dead dog thread gets 8 pages or response and a dead cop thread only 2 pages.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ITT: Confirmation bias.

But everyone loves dogs.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Something like that.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
On GD?

My opinion of LEOs has decreased greatly reading some of the LEO responses in threads.

I realize the respondents may be a skewed sample, but it gave me a troubling glimpse into the mindset of at least some cops.

View Quote

This! You have no control over what type of cop you will have contact with.
They can kill you or fuck your life up for decades even if you don't deserve it and get by with it.
I am not saying all of them are that way but you can't know.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

They can kill you or fuck your life up for decades even if you don't deserve it and get by with it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

On GD?

My opinion of LEOs has decreased greatly reading some of the LEO responses in threads.

I realize the respondents may be a skewed sample, but it gave me a troubling glimpse into the mindset of at least some cops.

There's this one simple trick you can use to control whether you have contact with the cops at all.  But I'm not going to tell you what it is.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

There's this one simple trick you can use to control whether you have contact with the cops at all.  But I'm not going to tell you what it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
On GD?

No joiner?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
No joiner?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:01:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:07:45 AM EDT
[#41]
My views on Cops have neither improved nor gone down hill.  My understanding of the stuff they do and their rationale for doing it, has improved, slightly.

It's a job, which we need done, which I suppose I wouldn't like.

A better question might be, "how has becoming a cop affected your view of the general public/people?"  The answer won't be very flattering.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:08:35 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Cops have no control over what type of people they will have contact with.

People can kill or fuck a cop's life up for decades even if they don't deserve it and get by with it.

I am not saying all people are that way but you can't know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

On GD?

Cops have no control over what type of people they will have contact with.

People can kill or fuck a cop's life up for decades even if they don't deserve it and get by with it.

I am not saying all people are that way but you can't know.
Yep.  It works both ways.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:14:44 AM EDT
[#43]
I see the troll posts and gives me a more negative opinion of the cop bashers not the cops.  Like any segment of society though, there's bad apples in every bunch
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:16:52 AM EDT
[#44]
After having been a assistant prosecutor for over a decade, LEO posts on Arf merely reinforce my existing opinion - LEO's are individuals.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:20:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
After having been a assistant prosecutor for over a decade, LEO posts on Arf merely reinforce my existing opinion - LEO's are individuals.
View Quote

Crazy isn't it? Who would have thought?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:23:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It made me realize how truly human cops are. And that we share a similar sense of humor.
View Quote

So what are you trying to say?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:25:19 AM EDT
[#47]
My experience with cops in the real world has yielded a net positive.

My experience with cops in GD has yielded a net negative.

Then again, during a positive experience at a traffic stop or something, I'm not going to say "so Officer Bob, how do you feel about the latest chokehold video?" My opinion may or may not change after the response.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:25:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Nah it hasn't changed my opinion, most are really good guys but some are idiots.

But I am kinda surprised at the one's that come to this forum to play cop here too. It's kinda sad really...I know quite a few LEO's and the last thing they would do is get off work and troll an internet forum like some do here. Seems its not just a job for some, its all they have I guess.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:36:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Just GET BOTH.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't the cops who wanted the icons hidden.

That whole fiasco... were you all just trying to outdo our tank clusterfuck?

Oh I think it blew that out of the water.

Just GET BOTH.

What he said.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:48:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Meh, you never even know if someone is who they say they are.
Plenty of trolls out there, and in here.

One things for sure.

There are a-holes in all walks of life.

That said.....
I have grown to respect many of the regulars here.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top