Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:38:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Might be perfectly legal. Don't care.

Dude would end up tied to a tree 50 miles from the nearest town, and covered in Molasses.

View Quote

For starters.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:53:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

A Slow Stick with a a Hacker 20 20L and a 1060  prop  is a fantastic fixed wing platform. I can't think of the company, but there are aftermarket carbon fiber landing gear (with a steerable tailwheel) you can pick up for about 20 bucks-replaces the whole stock hardware set. They changed the stick from 10mm square aluminum tubing to square CF tubing, so if you take a stick of spruce the length of the tube, coat it with 5 minute epoxy or hot glue and stuff it through the tubing, you can substantially reinforce it. I would highly recommend doing so if you're going with the hacker-I whacked the throttle to max and the screw holding the motor mount ripped through the CF, resulting in my motor and prop departing the airframe at a high rate of speed during a vertical climb. I never found it because I was focused on landing the airplane-fortunately the leads from the motor pulled clear of the ESC but didn't pull anything clear of the RX.

Reinforce the wing with string packing tape and you can loft a pretty serious payload, and the more weight you pile on, the more wind you can fly in (oversize blucore control surfaces and the biggest throws you can manage helps), but the more space you need to land. You can take off and climb out nearly vertically, but you need room to park. I saw a video on youtube once of a guy using  one with the stock GWS motor and a nicad pack to lift a red brick.

And if you wad it up, a new kit is only 35 bucks. Great trainer, too. Not with a Hacker on it-that's like stuffing the motor from a Veyron into a Smart Car.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The problem why it freaked parents out is because the drone that he he using (Inpsire1) is freakin scary looking to someone who doesn't know anything about them.

http://d333gi46xmu1md.cloudfront.net/uploads/photos/2015/1/how_to_fly.jpg

Price?

Flight duration?

Payload capacity?
About $3k-$3500, 15ish minutes and probably a couple of pounds without the camera (flight time drops rapidly as you add weight).

My company is probably getting one soon for cheap jobs.

I'll stick with fixed wing, for now.

This discussion ended up reminding me that I've still got a Lanier U-2, still in the box, under my reloading bench (at least that's the last place I remember seeing it).  

Our avionics tech bought one (13 or 14 years ago) and set it up as a 3 channel R/E/T, with a speed 400 and a Zagi prop.  Got pretty good performance out of it, and the only real mod he did to the structure, was to cover the tail and fuselage with (1/2 ounce?) fiberglass cloth and thinned epoxy.

I was planning to take some of the dihedral out of the wing, and go 4 channel (or 5 channel for spoilerons/flaperons), then cover the whole thing with the light fiberglass and add carbon fiber tape for spar caps on the center section.  For some reason, I never got around to ordering the fiberglass.

A Slow Stick with a a Hacker 20 20L and a 1060  prop  is a fantastic fixed wing platform. I can't think of the company, but there are aftermarket carbon fiber landing gear (with a steerable tailwheel) you can pick up for about 20 bucks-replaces the whole stock hardware set. They changed the stick from 10mm square aluminum tubing to square CF tubing, so if you take a stick of spruce the length of the tube, coat it with 5 minute epoxy or hot glue and stuff it through the tubing, you can substantially reinforce it. I would highly recommend doing so if you're going with the hacker-I whacked the throttle to max and the screw holding the motor mount ripped through the CF, resulting in my motor and prop departing the airframe at a high rate of speed during a vertical climb. I never found it because I was focused on landing the airplane-fortunately the leads from the motor pulled clear of the ESC but didn't pull anything clear of the RX.

Reinforce the wing with string packing tape and you can loft a pretty serious payload, and the more weight you pile on, the more wind you can fly in (oversize blucore control surfaces and the biggest throws you can manage helps), but the more space you need to land. You can take off and climb out nearly vertically, but you need room to park. I saw a video on youtube once of a guy using  one with the stock GWS motor and a nicad pack to lift a red brick.

And if you wad it up, a new kit is only 35 bucks. Great trainer, too. Not with a Hacker on it-that's like stuffing the motor from a Veyron into a Smart Car.

I've got an old Slow Stick kit (aluminum fuselage stick), around here somewhere.  I didn't know they had switched to a carbon fiber stick.

Our avionics tech went through a few of them, and did various mods during repairs.  He folded and taped two sets of wings together, to make a symmetrical airfoil, double surfaced wing for one.  Later he built a balsa symmetrical wing (with no dihedral and full span ailerons) for one, and put a brushless outrunner on it.  He could launch it by holding it vertical, moving the throttle up, then let go, and it would climb straight up.  I think he had to figure out a way to reinforce the tail surfaces, shortly after he put that motor on it.

I kept going back to Bluecor scratchbuilds, because I hated the idea of crashing something that I had spent more money on it.  Played around with converting a few of the little hand tossed, foam gliders - the little space shuttle and the "Turbojet 2000" - but getting everything just right on those little things could be a bit frustrating.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:04:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They're relatively new and still scary

I have full-scale planes flying over my house all the time and I guarantee some of them have cameras. Plus they can look down and see me with their EYES! It's surveillance I tell you. There ought to be a law

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not getting some people's response to this news and their irrational fear of quadcopters.  

First off I don't own one or plan to.  I could care less if others own one.  It's not like the sky is infested with them and I've seen a few fly around.

Why would I care less?  Well what can it do?  So it has a camera.  So does everybody with a cell phone.  So some guy is following the kids.  I'd bet the kids thought it was cool.  Are the kids going to disrobe on their way from school?  Is this some intel gathering for a coordinated pedo assault?  I mean what will happen?  So the quadcopter has a camera.  So does every bank, store, asshole with a phone, some cars with dash cams, cop cars, it goes on.  And I hope it does have a camera so whomever is flying can see where they are going.  Whatever it will spy on you doing, you are doing it outdoors in public anyways.

Is it creepy?  What makes it creepy?  If you are that paranoid, never let your kids out of the house.  Ever!

So why the hate?

Just like the government irrational fear of what a terrorist will do with it.  Like what can a terrorist do with it?  It can't carry a large bomb.  an RC place or chopper possesses the same risk and they've been flying those for a better part of a half century.
They're relatively new and still scary

I have full-scale planes flying over my house all the time and I guarantee some of them have cameras. Plus they can look down and see me with their EYES! It's surveillance I tell you. There ought to be a law

Some of them have VERY expensive cameras.  They usually take them out of the mounts and remove them from the planes, before they let us work on the planes.  Fine with me.  I hate squeezing around the damn things (and trying to not touch them) to get to the forward cabin, on the rare occasions that they don't remove them.  Interesting control setup, though.  Looks like the guy sitting in the back controls the camera and has a laptop to tie everything to navigation, with a separate display in the cockpit (I assume that shows the pilot the navigation data to keep the plane on track for the photo run).  Probably has a link to the autopilot, leaving the pilot to just sit there and watch for traffic/monitor gauges while the camera is taking pictures, but I never asked.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:36:07 AM EDT
[#4]

So let me get this straight, arftards support filming bridges, government buildings, police departments, nuke plants, etc., but not people in public where there is no expectation of privacy? They also support intentionally damaging or destroying personally owned property not being used in the commission of a crime?

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:59:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I like the idea of a mid air collision with an RC plane or jamming his signal.
View Quote

Zagi

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:06:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So let me get this straight, arftards support filming bridges, government buildings, police departments, nuke plants, etc., but not people in public where there is no expectation of privacy? They also support intentionally damaging or destroying personally owned property not being used in the commission of a crime?

View Quote

The funny part is that it is literally for the children.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#7]
The Nazis never could get this tech to shoot down bombers... but it might be just the thing for small craft.... and no projectile.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Pretty much. You've got to do some reinforcing and make sure the CG is right, but you can take a plane that was designed to be maybe 13 ounces all up, ready to fly, and with the right motor, prop, and battery, you can get about 5 or 6 pounds into the air.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:11:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Pretty much. You've got to do some reinforcing and make sure the CG is right, but you can take a plane that was designed to be maybe 13 ounces all up, ready to fly, and with the right motor, prop, and battery, you can get about 5 or 6 pounds into the air.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The downside is that if you don't increase the size of the wing, the heavier weight results in a higher stall speed, which means your takeoff and landing speeds are going to go up.

A nice little slow flyer, that used to be easy to hand launch, would float around and make gentle landings, can become a missile that you have to bungee launch (or do a rolling takeoff with landing gear on a nice smooth surface), and landings happen a lot faster.

Though that is not necessarily a bad thing.  They handle higher winds a lot better, after the power and weight increases.  ...but crashes tend to cause a lot more damage (spend some time picking up all the little pieces, instead of taping a small tear in a wing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:14:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Where is the "victimless crime" brigade???
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:17:23 AM EDT
[#11]
That's just creepy.

Can't arrest a guy just for being creepy, though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:05:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The downside is that if you don't increase the size of the wing, the heavier weight results in a higher stall speed, which means your takeoff and landing speeds are going to go up.

A nice little slow flyer, that used to be easy to hand launch, would float around and make gentle landings, can become a missile that you have to bungee launch (or do a rolling takeoff with landing gear on a nice smooth surface), and landings happen a lot faster.

Though that is not necessarily a bad thing.  They handle higher winds a lot better, after the power and weight increases.  ...but crashes tend to cause a lot more damage (spend some time picking up all the little pieces, instead of taping a small tear in a wing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is pretty much what I said in an earlier post. You need more room to land it, but it's more stable in more wind. Slow Sticks are awesome planes-there are tons of people that make aftermarket stuff for them-symmetrical wings with ailerons, full CF tail sections, all kinds of goodies.

Occasional 30 mph gusts-enough to send an EZ-Up completely airborn and off the top of the range and still able to put up the stick-sadly a ton of pics were trash because I had a bent prop shaft and didn't know it and the vibration killed it. If it hadn't been so windy I would have had better pics-usually I'd climb up, chop the throttle and run the camera during the glide, but with the wind I had to keep the power on.

And a Slow Stick isn't all that little-it's got a 46 inch wingspan.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:20:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It sure is a huge red flag for those with children though.  Note he isn't just some guy flying his toy around.  He's specifically using it to FOLLOW CHILDREN HOME.  

If his thought processes view that as acceptable, then he is fucked in the head.  Illegal or not, he's fucked up.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Being a creep ain't illegal.

It sure is a huge red flag for those with children though.  Note he isn't just some guy flying his toy around.  He's specifically using it to FOLLOW CHILDREN HOME.  

If his thought processes view that as acceptable, then he is fucked in the head.  Illegal or not, he's fucked up.  

While I have to agree that most recent news articles would support your position, does it occur to anyone else that he could just be watching to make sure the kids make it safely home?

I realize that GD gets its only exercise by jumping to conclusions, but is it possible to can the hysteria for a few moments and consider that this person might just be a good neighbor?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:26:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Getcha guns, boys, we is goin' skeet shootin'
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:18:13 AM EDT
[#15]
omg! hide your kids, hide your wife, the neighbor has an rc quad with a 15 minute run time
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Getcha guns, boys, we is goin' skeet shootin'
View Quote

Hypothetically, if you were going to unlawfully destroy private property (as shooting a quad copter would be-drone is indicitave of autonomy), you would be less likely to face unlawful discharge of a firearm in city limits charges (a felony in some locales) if you used something like a bolo made from steel leaders and lead weights. Then you wouldn't have a shotgun in your hands should the guy flying his expensive quad be someone who was actually following the rules, flying in a safe fashion, in a public place, and possibly a lawful concealed carrier of a firearm.

Because I'm pretty sure that if I were flying one of my planes and some goober turfed it with a shotgun, I probably wouldn't wait all that long to see if he was going to continue the crazy by shooting me as well. And "Officer, he started screaming, shot my plane down and started toward me with a shotgun, I was terrified he was going to shoot me too." sounds pretty much like a valid articulation for immediate grave bodily injury or death to self even in a non-stand your ground state.

All joking aside, of course. Not trying to internet bad ass anything, but objectively, if you were out flying a kite and someone lit your kite up in a public place, what would your OODA loop go to? Unknown obvious hostile individual in a public place with a shotgun coming your way? Tuck your tail and hope he doesn't shoot you and anyone else or look for cover, hope he's using birdshot and drop him before he can take another shot from closer?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
quad/hex copter with a camera is a drone  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So we are still calling them drones

No its not.

A "Drone" is an autonomous pilotless aircraft not under human control.
A Quad-Copter is a UAV not a Drone.

Like Clip or Magazine... Words matter..
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In before those who will defend this as vociferously as the guy standing naked in his door way every time children pass by.  
View Quote

What? How do I miss all this shit? Link to a thread of supporting said naked guy?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Lots of quadcopter guys are moving into this platform for long range FPV flying. No need for a runway and can fly like a plane conserving your battery.

http://www.birdseyeview.aero/

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogcx-zcF02k

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Just need a LaRue and a supply drop

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
No its not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No its not.

I've tried to make that argument, but then I started looking back through history and "drone" was originally used for RC target drones Anyone who wants to argue will throw that back, and I haven't found a counter to it yet.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:31:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:50:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:29:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've tried to make that argument, but then I started looking back through history and "drone" was originally used for RC target drones Anyone who wants to argue will throw that back, and I haven't found a counter to it yet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No its not.

Because this is the argument we really need to have.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:31:26 AM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In before those who will defend this as vociferously as the guy standing naked in his door way every time children pass by.  

What? How do I miss all this shit? Link to a thread of supporting said naked guy?

We have some reeeeeeeeeally creepy members here.

What about the former (current?) child photographer who doesnt really see kiddie porn as having a 'victim'.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:35:46 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No its not.

"Drone" is to UAV/UAS what "child killing assault ghost gun with 30 caliber magazine clips and shoulder things that go up" is to AR-15s. It conjures up images of death and destruction from Hellfires, and those of us who use them professionally (and for fun) are trying to move away from that emotional response.

Typical conversation: "So what do you do?" "I'm a UAV pilot (or operator). "Huh?" "*sigh*.... I fly drones " "OH!... Do you kill people??"

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:32:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
"Drone" is to UAV/UAS what "child killing assault ghost gun with 30 caliber magazine clips and shoulder things that go up" is to AR-15s. It conjures up images of death and destruction from Hellfires, and those of us who use them professionally (and for fun) are trying to move away from that emotional response.

Typical conversation: "So what do you do?" "I'm a UAV pilot (or operator). "Huh?" "*sigh*.... I fly drones " "OH!... Do you kill people??"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"That's classified."
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:47:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Where is the "victimless crime" brigade???
View Quote

Too busy whining about 'neckbeards' buying up all the 22LR.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:49:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What about the former (current?) child photographer who doesnt really see kiddie porn as having a 'victim'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anarchy reigns supreme!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:04:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Anarchy reigns supreme!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anarchy reigns supreme!

This place sure has changed since I've been here. Looks like I may not be around here much longer when people are okay with a grown man intentionally showing his naked self to children.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:17:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
no an autonomous vehicle that moves under its own computer/gps is a drone. But lets all be hysterical emotional and make up whatever we want to call things. Please obama regulate this into safety. fucking hypocrites.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
no an autonomous vehicle that moves under its own computer/gps is a drone. But lets all be hysterical emotional and make up whatever we want to call things. Please obama regulate this into safety. fucking hypocrites.

kleenex

xerox

trains that have left the station
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:19:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Being a creep ain't illegal.

Hey that guy down the street has safes full of guns in his garage, That's fucked up.  You know how many kids live around here?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've never heard of that, but that's several steps beyond the mere "creepy."  

Link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never heard of that, but that's several steps beyond the mere "creepy."  

Link?

If it's who I'm thinking of, it was one of those victimless crimes arguments that is used for DUIs and such.  That person never came across as a pedo or pedo sympathizer.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top