BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We can do both here, and I prefer concealed.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Open for comfort if I'm carrying a 1911, though it's usually covered by an untucked shirt. If I carry my P938 it goes in my pocket.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I wish we had the OC option in FL for that reason.

I think I'd still CC most times. I'd just really like the option to OC.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I live in AZ, we have constitutional carry.I do both but prefer open carry because in the summer it's much more comfortable.

I wish we had the OC option in FL for that reason.

I think I'd still CC most times. I'd just really like the option to OC.

We came close not too long ago IIRC..
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Both.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#5]
open carry, it's more comfortable.
(Im a thin guy and IWB sticks out like I'm wearing a dialysis machine)
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#6]

concealed , because SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER !

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
mostly concealed. But not give fuck if its printing or if my shirt is riding up over it.
View Quote

+1

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Depends on where I am
View Quote

Come to work open carrying.

Airman, I'd be needing a 341 for this...
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup. I like, however, for there to be the common knowledge that you're probably surrounded by armed citizens wherever you go, which, in my state, is becoming a truer statement every day. Well, everywhere except Universities.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Summer - Open

Winter   - Concealed
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

mostly concealed. But not give fuck if its printing or if my shirt is riding up over it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I like concealed but fully support those that carry openly even though a good portion of Arfcom are freedom haters and think OCers hurt the progun cause.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Suppose the laws in your area allowed you to either wear a handgun openly on your hip, or have your shirt hanging over. You can do whatever you please, as it suits you.

Which way would you commonly carry - open or concealed?
View Quote

we allow both here, I carry both ways depending on circumstances.

I don't know why this is a difficult concept for some.

Both styles of carry have their pluses and minuses.

No one type works in all situations.

I frequently CC and I frequently OC - nobody cares. Nor should they.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This. Especially with larger guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I live in AZ, we have constitutional carry.I do both but prefer open carry because in the summer it's much more comfortable.

This. Especially with larger guns.

Yep
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Open carry is legal in Iowa, with a carry permit, but I don't recall ever seeing anyone do it. I'm not going to be that trend setter.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:59:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Never underestimate the element of surprise. Pushes the odds of survival way up when something jumps off unexpectedly. Clark Kent to Dirty Harry with no warning to the "predator".
View Quote

never underestimate the power of avoidance. Why look like a target if criminals will avoid confrontation?

cuts both ways.

The element of surprise may not work if you never get a chance to draw.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wonder why Zamansky hasn't posted yet...weird.

View Quote

Lol.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

OK. First people to get choked out carry open.

I am just going by assessing the criminal's mindset. Can't be successful committing crimes if you don't control the guns in the area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fags carry concealed

First people to get shot carry open.
I call BS unless you post verifiable data!

Didn't some dude get choked out last year at Wal Mart because the guy saw him carrying a gun?

OK. First people to get choked out carry open.

I am just going by assessing the criminal's mindset. Can't be successful committing crimes if you don't control the guns in the area.

I agree with the argument that if a criminal is going to commit a crime he would probably target OCers first.

But, allow me to blow your mind. I would also argue that if everyone would open carry, criminals would be less likely to commit the crime in said area. (no, i don't have proof, but that is my theory).

So, 1 or 2 people OCing = targets, everybody OCing = less crime.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For those who OC, what level of retention does your holster have?   How hard would it be for someone to come up from behind and grab it?   I think that's my main concern about OC.
View Quote

for normal open carry, I use a safariland - very secure. I also have a Galco leather that I wear when I want to dress up.

retention holsters are not a substitute for situational awareness. If you're relying on a retention holster, you've already failed.

I can tell people that have been trained in weapon retention based on how they position themselves in conversation - they tend to keep the strong side away from whomever they are interacting with.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#20]
You don't need to know what I have.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#21]
If I'm out in my neck of the woods I'll OC or CC, whichever the weather determines.
To be honest so many people OC out where I live no one really notices anymore.

If I'm in the city it's CC all the way.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Open carry in the woods, concealed around people.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I do not have to ask permission or pay a tax to OC, but I do if I want to CC. I have thumb break holsters for OC,  I have had people who may have wanted to do me harm actually cross the street to avoid me when I am open carrying.
If you are carrying under a shirt, and don't practice drawing a lot, you may be the one in for a surprise when your pistol hangs up in a high stress situation.
I have never had a problem open carrying, most people don't even notice.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Why let the criminals know you are carrying?
View Quote

Uh... so they can give you and your family a wide berth and decide to prey on someone else?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I carry concealed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd CC most of the time but there are times when OC would be nice too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#27]
When Texas does get open carry, I'll still conceal carry %95 percent of the time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
For those who OC, what level of retention does your holster have?   How hard would it be for someone to come up from behind and grab it?   I think that's my main concern about OC.
View Quote

It depends. I normally carry a Glock 31 in a SERPA. Yes, it's stereotypical, but the whole reason I carry a Glock is because I don't have to worry about scratching it up when I get in the Jeep and it smacks into the door latch - the SERPA serves the same purpose.

I have at least some training in weapons retention, and I am aware of my surroundings. I currently carry a small fixed-blade where I can easily get to it with my left hand for retention purposes. In the past I've carried everything from OC to other guns for that purpose, but this is what works best for me.

If someone came up behind me to attempt to grab it, my reaction is to force my elbow down on the gun to keep it from the holster while doing all I can to put holes in my attacker. I'm honestly more concerned about hurting some overzealous security guard before I'm able to identify them over my shoulder more than I'm concerned about someone successfully taking my firearm.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If I'm out in my neck of the woods I'll OC or CC, whichever the weather determines.
To be honest so many people OC out where I live no one really notices anymore.

If I'm in the city it's CC all the way.
View Quote

If you don't mind my asking, where is that?

I'm in Charlottesville, and it seems like I'm seeing an increasing number of people carrying openly. I've been doing so almost exclusively outside of work since I moved here in 2013.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You'll be waiting a long time. Age old internet argument for those that are too scared to open carry. They usually try to post officer attempted gun grabs, which is silly since cops are going after dangerous people and putting themselves in positions that don't remotely simulate the real world.

But hyperbole shall rule the day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fags carry concealed

First people to get shot carry open.
I call BS unless you post verifiable data!

You'll be waiting a long time. Age old internet argument for those that are too scared to open carry. They usually try to post officer attempted gun grabs, which is silly since cops are going after dangerous people and putting themselves in positions that don't remotely simulate the real world.

But hyperbole shall rule the day.

I know. It's an irrational argument. Remember the cop last week who got killed in the video game store. He was in full uniform, marked car outside, and the guys didn't notice him until he jumped into action.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#31]
For me, it has less to do with law and more to do with social mores.  I wouldn't open carry if, despite being legal, it still freaked people out.  I don't like to draw attention to myself like that.  If it was commonplace and OC pistols were as ubiquitous as iPhones, I'd carry that way... and CCW a BUG.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#32]
There's a time and a place for both. CC most of the time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I can do both. But i cc 90% of the time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Suppose the laws in your area allowed you to either wear a handgun openly on your hip, or have your shirt hanging over. You can do whatever you please, as it suits you.

View Quote

That's how they are now...

I guess the answer is it depends on where I'm going, what I'm wearing etc.
I try not to think to hard about it. Either way I'm hyper aware of what's going on around me & don't find fault with either method.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
This

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

They do. I carry concealed. value of surprise factor should not be underestimated.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:05:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Agreed.  My state allows both...I personally never OC because I don't want someone seeing my firearm and getting the drop on me.

Quoted:
Why let the criminals know you are carrying?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:07:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Concealed.

When I worked at a pawnshop, we did both open and concealed carry. There was some benefit of having folks know that guys in there were walking around in there with cocked and locked 1911's back in the day, but it was private property, we could do whatever we wanted.

On the street, day to day, going grocery shopping or something, nope. The only situation I would want to would be in a situation where it was obvious that I had something of value to steal.

Like walking around with a big bag of money that I couldn't otherwise carry in my pocket or backpack. Also maybe in like a disaster zone, say a Hurricane Katrina aftermath situation to deter looting around my home or business.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote
In a perfect world. Open

In THIS world, concealed. My state has both

I'll only OC if I'm headed: to the range, on a quick trip to the dumpster and feeling lazy, occasionally "honey gofer" trips for the SO if again, feeling lazy.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

CC of course.
View Quote
Yep. And I live in an area that allows both.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Fags carry concealed
View Quote

And that is the perfect example of the intellect level.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I prefer concealed, but sometimes it's just not practical. We really should have both options.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Open carry, loaded.  What is that, "Arizona Style?"
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Get both
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would open carry most of the time.  Concealed carry is less practical, less convenient, uncomfortable, and generally a PITA, but sometimes one needs to be discreet.  But when discretion is unnecessary, I can't think of a convincing reason not to carry openly.  Concealed carry of anything but pocket pistols is also incongruous with how I dress if I'm not wearing a jacket or a coat.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#48]
OC all the time unless it's cold enough for a jacket that happens to cover it up.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:19:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Fags carry concealed
View Quote

So you carry concealed then. Got it.

Some of us straight guys carry concealed, too, but it's cool. Not judging your faggot tree.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#50]
My preferred mode of carry would be strapping a full-size 1911 OWB on my weak-hand side.  Then if SHTF, I completely disregard the 1911 and whip my LCP out of its place of concealment.

Element of Surprise FTMFW, nobody sees that coming.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top