Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/26/2015 7:25:23 PM EDT
Ive been taking classes for years, still don't have a degree.  Thought I wanted a degree in one thing, then another and kept changing majors...so Im at 90 credits and don't even have an associates degree.  Mostly business classes.

Truthfully I want a degree in order to have something to "earn", but I can't decide what field I'd like it to be in- and don't just want any ole thing.  Im in the Army and have 6+ years left to get out, so I may... or may not need to 'use' the degree.  Regardless, if I want to see more promotions, I need to keep adding to my education- so I need to continue with something!

What would you recommend?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Decision-making classes.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a degree in business.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Finish the one you're closest to finishing and quit wasting your time and money in college.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#4]
mechanical engineering
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
mechanical engineering
View Quote

I've considered some sort of engineering job... not sure if I could find a school that offers an online degree though...
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Engineering of some kind.

Mechanical, chemical, electrical, or environmental.

As a chemist, I would say there is more money in chemical or environmental.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#8]
It's unfortunate that so many people today feel that they need a college degree. It's a waste of time for most people. Unless you have a particular career path in mind, don't bother. The bachelor's degree is the most overrated thing this country produces. Don't get one just because other people say you need one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Engineering of some kind.

Mechanical, chemical, electrical, or environmental.

As a chemist, I would say there is more money in chemical or environmental.

View Quote

What is the work of an engineer or chemist like?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Undergrad in poly sci, grad in business admin.  

mostly they've been a waste of time and money and they're both from decent schools as well.

Go with computer science, math, stats, engineering if you are going to do it.

Otherwise you need to go to an Ivy and use it as an opportunity to use THEIR connections to get you a fantastic job out of school.

School should be seen as an opportunity to use connections and networking that the individual does not have on their own.

Ask me how I know?  A lot of time and money and effort and resources and bullshit stacked real high and deep my friend.

Being smart and educated has never gotten me hired, if anything it's offended or put people on the defensive and kept them from hiring.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's unfortunate that so many people today feel that they need a college degree. It's a waste of time for most people. Unless you have a particular career path in mind, don't bother. The bachelor's degree is the most overrated thing this country produces. Don't get one just because other people say you need one.
View Quote

Thats a big reason why I've been so slow about it.  But like I said, getting a degree while in the military is a must in order to advance your career.  So, I gotta get a degree in order to maximize my opportunity to get promoted....  but if I just get a liberal arts degree or general education degree... then Im stuck with a plane jane degree when I get out of the service.  The military will only pay tuition for one degree btw.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Tough to tell you what direction to go.  Can only suggest a degree to help you get a great paying job.

Man, if I were to do it again, I would have studied my ass of in high school to try to get a scholarship to Westpoint or other military college.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Agreed.

Talk to an advisor and see if there is some kind of general degree that can count as many possible of the existing credits you have.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Finish the one you're closest to finishing and quit wasting your time and money in college.

Agreed.

Talk to an advisor and see if there is some kind of general degree that can count as many possible of the existing credits you have.

In my brief attendance at the University of North Texas this was referred to as a degree in Applied Arts and Sciences. The advisor was very clear that this was a bullshit major that required a 2.0 gpa and consisted of almost all electives. It was specifically meant for people who fucked off too long and needed to gtfo with something in hand. Maybe someday I will go back and get my Applied Arts and Sciences degree
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

In my brief attendance at the University of North Texas this was referred to as a degree in Applied Arts and Sciences. The advisor was very clear that this was a bullshit major that required a 2.0 gpa and consisted of almost all electives. It was specifically meant for people who fucked off too long and needed to gtfo with something in hand. Maybe someday I will go back and get my Applied Arts and Sciences degree
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

Many guys go this route in the military...  its very competitive near the top, so ya gotta have that "slip of paper" to get recognized.  Just trying to be competitive when I get out of the service though.  I know people get a great job without college, but this is a free opportunity that I really need to buckle down with.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#15]
If it's not some flavor of engineering your wasting your time.

The question you should be asking is what do YOU want to do when you get out. None of us can answer that question for you.

If it requires a degree, go get that degree. If it doesn't require a degree, just fuck around with whatever you like. My favorite classes from college were Backpacking and Fundamentals of Software Engineering; I'm sure your mileage will vary.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#16]

FINANCE

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Computer science or engineering. Those jobs are usually available. But finish it for sure. You've got too much time and money in it not to.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Upside down underwater basket weaving.

Seriously, you have no idea what you would like to do?

If you have no particular ambition just finish off with a business degree since that is what you've invested your time in.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Well I guess if you have to get one, a degree in something like public administration would make sense; it could allow you to work for the government after you retired from the military. Economics might be a good choice, too. I always found economics kind of fascinating, at least at the undergrad level.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Decision-making classes.
View Quote
This

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#21]
like others have said, speak to an adviser and find out what degree you have the most credits applied to.

You may want to focus on getting your AA first, which would mean finding out what credits are needed to fulfill your general university requirements.

Either way do your best to come up with a 3 and a 5 year plan.

The only thing my degree helped me do was get a foot into the door (ground floor/shit pay) as a contractor at a fortune 500. Four and a half years later i'm a full time employee and doing just about everything I can to convince someone to give me a proper career path.

It's hard out there for those of us without a STEM degree. . . you're going to need to pull it together and come up with a strategy.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Ive been taking classes for years, still don't have a degree. Thought I wanted a degree in one thing, then another and kept changing majors...so Im at 90 credits and don't even have an associates degree. Mostly business classes.

Truthfully I want a degree in order to have something to "earn", but I can't decide what field I'd like it to be in- and don't just want any ole thing. Im in the Army and have 6+ years left to get out, so I may... or may not need to 'use' the degree. Regardless, if I want to see more promotions, I need to keep adding to my education- so I need to continue with something!

View Quote

First question:  Are you using TA to pay for these classes?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Get the closest degree that will use your existing credits and GTFO.

It'll be just a slip of paper, but so are mine.  My company doesn't care that I took years of history, Poli sci, and anthropology.

I can rite good when I nede to.  That's about it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ive been taking classes for years, still don't have a degree. Thought I wanted a degree in one thing, then another and kept changing majors...so Im at 90 credits and don't even have an associates degree. Mostly business classes.

Truthfully I want a degree in order to have something to "earn", but I can't decide what field I'd like it to be in- and don't just want any ole thing. Im in the Army and have 6+ years left to get out, so I may... or may not need to 'use' the degree. Regardless, if I want to see more promotions, I need to keep adding to my education- so I need to continue with something!

yep  
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#25]
if it was not a degree  in 1900 it really in not worth the time or money  now

medicine
engineering
law
business
math
teaching
architecture

you know like a college degree

not mass com  or gender studies or what ever that shit is about
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
yep
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

First question: Are you using TA to pay for these classes?

yep

IIRC TA won't pay for further undergrad classes after you get a degree, so if you have 6 years left in the Army, I'd recommend the following:

1) pick two or three degrees you are interested in.

2) complete all but a class or two for each of said degrees.

3) complete all three degrees at once.

4) get out and use the post 9/11 to do your masters.

5) ?????

6) Profit!
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Accounting
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Get the closest degree that will use your existing credits and GTFO.

It'll be just a slip of paper, but so are mine.  My company doesn't care that I took years of history, Poli sci, and anthropology.

I can rite good when I nede to.  That's about it.
View Quote

Ha! I laughed
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
mechanical engineering
View Quote

Lol, arfcom's answer to everything.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

FINANCE

View Quote

This, or if you want to be more employable but less interesting, accounting.

Given what you've already done these two options are where it's at
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#31]
While my business degree has served me well, when I was in my late twenties I narrowed it down to business admin degree or PA degree. In hindsight I wish I had got my PA degree. Healthcare is 1/5 the economy and medical practitioner degrees are highly portable. Good pay also.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

medicine
engineering
law
business
math
teaching
architecture

View Quote

You heard him, if it wasn't a degree in 1900 then it's not worth doing. You have tons of choices like bloodletting, blacksmithing, could work at a mill or maybe be a Cheesman? So many options!

I recommend being a cobbler, I mean people will always need their shoes repaired!
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#33]
All great ideas... forgot to add: Im a maintenance technician... so this engineering thing may be it.  Funny as I'm chasing some Bradley schematics right now....  quick google searches- yet finding a college that offers mechanical engineering degrees aren't readily coming up...  any assistance?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

All great ideas... forgot to add: Im a maintenance technician... so this engineering thing may be it.  Funny as I'm chasing some Bradley schematics right now....  quick google searches- yet finding a college that offers mechanical engineering degrees aren't readily coming up...  any assistance?
View Quote

ME online? Doubtful you'll find that...

Bliss or Hood?

UTEP if Bliss...

If Hood...I think UT might be only one fairly close that offers engineering.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#35]
One thing about engineering is that it isn't for everyone. You better have one helluva strength in upper level math to cut it. I thought I did but I don't and switched to my fallback, Agriculture and Applied Economics and am at the very least minoring in business (more likely a dual degree starting 2016).
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Bliss or Hood?

UTEP if Bliss...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bliss or Hood?

UTEP if Bliss...

Was at Hood for awhile...

Ill be in Tennessee by this summer.... gotta be online though.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#37]
With 90 credits, you could get 2+ degrees before you retire.  Talk to a counselor and see which degrees you are closest to.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Bliss or Hood?

UTEP if Bliss...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bliss or Hood?

UTEP if Bliss...

Texas A&M, UT, and Texas Tech are the big three for Tx. Especially engineering. Talk shit all you want but all three are very respectable schools in all of the "classics"

Also, A&M has a branch on Ft Hood if memory serves. No idea if it's got the engineering side though
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:37:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bliss or Hood?

UTEP if Bliss...

You're not going to find an online only ME program.  Maybe ME Tech, but I'd be surprised.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm a Mechanical Engineer, if you can make it through the classes go for it.  As far as "what is the work like?" it really depends on what company you get hired at.  There's a ton of different things you could do with an engineering degree.

Do you know what you want to actually do at work?  Maybe instead of focusing on the degree decide what you actually want to get up every day and do, and then pick a degree that will help you get there.

ETA: Don't waste your time with an engineering degree that isn't from an accredited university, which I doubt any online one would be.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quality or Supply Chain Management.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#42]
(insert joke here)
So i was talking to my therapist, and he asked me if i had been indecisive for long.

I said, "well, yes, and no"
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:01:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can't get anything but shit jobs without one.  Agreed they don't mean anything but the facts are the facts.  College degrees mean more pay.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Decision-making classes.
View Quote

AHAHAHA...*sigh*

Really, a degree doesn't mean as much as you think it does unless you are pursuing a professional degree (MD, DO, JD, PE, etc).   Getting ANY degree will show you can follow through and achieve your goal.  Just choose one that your credits align with closest (sounds like business) and knock it out.  After 10y in the real world nobody looks at your eduction, they look at your professional accomplishments...again, unless you are a doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc as mentioned before.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:12:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Second this. Are you using TA, GI Bill or both?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You can't get anything but shit jobs without one.  Agreed they don't mean anything but the facts are the facts.  College degrees mean more pay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  You mean me working for the largest healthcare corporation in America at a level 29 (level 1 is entry level, and level 36 is the president, C-levels are not in our ranking system) and having 2 MBA's under me with another 12 people under them is a crap job?  Huh...guess I need to tell my wife.  You accomplish stuff, you get more respect than a degree gives you.  

What did you do?  "I have xyz degree...'

What did you do?  "I redefined the patient intake process for 36 hospitals last year across 3 different states, standardizing business practice, improving workflow, increasing patient satisfaction, reducing denials by 30% and increasing profits by 12%".  

Yea...degree's mean if you don't have experience you'll be looked at...maybe.  Quantifiable experience and results trump paper pushers all the time.  The quandry is how do you get experience without a degree.  Easy answer...work your ever loving ass off as an entry level person and work your way up.  It's not easy, or fast, but it can be done.  This is America...land of opportunity.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Dude I got 172 credits and only have an associates
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:16:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You heard him, if it wasn't a degree in 1900 then it's not worth doing. You have tons of choices like bloodletting, blacksmithing, could work at a mill or maybe be a Cheesman? So many options!

I recommend being a cobbler, I mean people will always need their shoes repaired!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

medicine
engineering
law
business
math
teaching
architecture

People still do a version of all those jobs.  It's nice of you to look down on people in a welding shop, medical field, dairy industry or a custom boot shop.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Look into GIS. Lots of work and high pay in nearly all industries for GIS positions, especially if you're a certified mapping scientist.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

medicine
engineering
law
business
math
teaching
architecture

those are trades if you want a trade go to trade school not university.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top