BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SiVisPacem, sent you an IM to avoid a huge hijack.

Edit:, yes, Just Cause
View Quote

I think you should start a new thread, sounds like a good story.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#2]
No hate from me. He's walked the walk, same with Costa and Haley.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I figured it was because he starts his days on the road at Cracker Barrel.  The guy likes his blueberry syrup! I don't care about his weight, I'm there for his instruction not to check his physique.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Apparently the fat jokes hurt...
View Quote

I doubt it hurts, I think it's more like cutting to the chase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gatNLacOjC8
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SiVisPacem, sent you an IM to avoid a huge hijack.

Edit:, yes, Just Cause

+1

As far as LAV, wonder what the total percentage of the U.S. Population is that have served, in one of the Special Operations units, been deployed that many times, shot that many people, and lived to tell about it is? Unless you're one of the distinct few who have, then your opinion regarding Larry Vickers weight or accomplishments is irrelevant IMO. Honestly, I'd feel stupid even making a negative comment about it.

What surprises me most about men like Mr. Vickers and others like Travis Haley is not only that they've accomplished what they have, but that they're willing to wade through a bunch of SpongeBob watching, keyboard commando, printer repair men's stupid and childish comments in order to share what they've learned.

Also, it never ceases to amaze me, in either a video posted somewhere or when a thread pops up here about one of the aforementioned guys, there's always people who come out saying "I didn't know that was him", "I did'nt know he was part of _______"  or "I didn't know that was him in THAT video". I don't know why people make comments about others whom they know little or nothing about.

LAV has earned whatever state of fitness he wishes to be in, and he doesn't owe me an explanation.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I only met Larry once. Very briefly, in the back of a blackhawk helicopter when he and his team pulled my bleeding, filthy, and naked self from the jungle.

He looked over at me as I sat near the back and by the door, smiled, threw me his canteen. He then gave me a big high five.

One of the best fucking days of my life at that point.

He's fat, don't fucking care. I need to buy him some beer, lots of it.

Discipline, some in this thread could not fathom in their tiny brains the level of discipline it takes to accomplish what the LAV has.

edit: He was 27 years old on that day, I had just turned 28. He was not fat that day.
View Quote

Ok, we need the story on this. Details please.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I like Vickers, guy is a walking bad ass, overweight or not he has put in his time been there done that. He can take a break and eat what he wants he has nothing to prove, he has my respect. I actually take into consideration what he has to say because I know he has the knowledge.

Vickers and Haley are about the only two guys I watch and can stand. The rest seem to be more obsessed with their looks then what they're actually talking about.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Like Larry owes people an explanation of why he's fat

I don't get why grown men worry about the weight of other men.
View Quote

They enjoy the taste of penis and find fat men unattractive............like how kids make fun of the ugly girl in grade school.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag for watching later.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, seems appropriate that anyone who jumped on Larry for his body should hang his head in shame.

Good for him.  I don't begrudge him anything.

If he were my friend, I'd say try Keto-- but hey, if he doesn't feel like it, he can do whatever the hell he wants.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I only met Larry once. Very briefly, in the back of a blackhawk helicopter when he and his team pulled my bleeding, filthy, and naked self from the jungle.

He looked over at me as I sat near the back and by the door, smiled, threw me his canteen. He then gave me a big high five.

One of the best fucking days of my life at that point.

He's fat, don't fucking care. I need to buy him some beer, lots of it.

Discipline, some in this thread could not fathom in their tiny brains the level of discipline it takes to accomplish what the LAV has.

edit: He was 27 years old on that day, I had just turned 28. He was not fat that day.
View Quote

Need full story
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:50:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Good on LAV for making the video.

He put foot to ass for the US and DID give the best years of his life willingly. For people to call someone fat should probably know where they have been.

A year ago April 1 I suffered a catastrophic blowout of my lower back deadlifting 750 1rm and went from being 235 @ 10% benching 375, squatting 405 all for reps  to 225@22% because I can not run, barely walk, swim etc and have a year to go to be eligible for my pension at the fire dept. My waist went from a 32 to a 36. I feel his pain.

Much respect for him as it takes a certain type to nut up and call themselves fat after doing what he did for so long.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Apparently the fat jokes hurt...

We ridiculed his fatness (while being fat ourselves) because he ridiculed the intelligence and patriotism on this website a while back.

So Larry, take the fat jokes with a pinch of ink jet ink. We buy a lot of your stuff anyway.
View Quote

Yeah. . . . . . he was SO WRONG about all the idiocy that supposedly goes on around here.

Oh, wait.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Always liked and greatly respect LAV.

The shill crap and talk about him being fat is beyond stupid.

I've learned a lot from him, and have tremendous respect for his service.

Unfortunately he has to contend with malcontent morons who don't have the imagination, let alone experience to even get their heads around a guy who's walked the walk he has.

Nothing like mediocrity condemning the exceptional among us.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#15]
No hijack intended-- but almost all grownups who are overweight are overweight because they eat too much bad stuff.  Exercise is about 10 or maybe 20 percent of it.

I lost 20 pounds at age 56; I did it in 3 months.  And I only had 20 pounds to lose.  And it's still off.  And there was no increase in exercise.

If any of you wants to do it, you can.

"I'm fat because my knee hurts."  Well, no.  Try "My knee hurts, so I'm gonna cut back from six beers to two."

Now back to the thread.  And I'll repeat, Larry you deserve our respect, and whatever you choose your weight to be, you're entitled.

ETA once you lose the weight, lots of body parts mysteriously stop hurting.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I agree it boils down mostly to what you eat.  I guess I just don't understand the big deal about the way people look.  Some people eat whatever they want and stay skinny, some people eat really well and stay fat, most people are a reflection of their diet choices, but what does it fucking matter?  I'm fat, but not so much that it impedes me from doing anything I want/need to do.  My bloodwork comes back good at the doctor, and I feel great.  I even started going to the gym a few months ago, I really don't look much different but I am stronger and my cardio is better.  

If you're unhealthy you're unhealthy, weight is only a portion of that.  If you're a bad motherfucker (say for example, a Delta Force guy) who can defend himself and his family if the time came, it really doesn't matter if you do it with a gut or a 6 pack.

I'm sure most of those internet trolls calling LAV fat wouldn't dare fuck with him in person.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Unfortunately he has to contend with malcontent morons who don't have the imagination, let alone experience to even get their heads around a guy who's walked the walk he has.

View Quote

If you can't build it, tear it down.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

The way I look at it (haven't watched the video) with LAV is that people expect a certain "look" to go with the knowledge.

Now right or wrong it's there. He does have a bust your balls personality, nothing wrong with that at all and he has the history and can obviously back up the shooting.

But if you are former delta etc they expect you to look it.

Take Paul Howe for example, Defoor, Lamb and the list goes on...

Simply an observation.

And for whatever reason gun community has some very sensitive souls in it's ranks

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only thing people like more than putting someone on a pedestal is knocking  them off.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#21]
i recently worked at a place that had two fucking mart carts b/c people were too fat to get around my small fucking store.. i had a boss who went out on leave b/c she was so fat she fell stepping out of a car and hurt her back badly to the point where she needed surgery... i like vickers shit.. i like his vids, he seems like a good dude, and as long as he can get around without assistance good for him... that said, he just made a nice crossfire ad, nothing more or less...
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:41:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Like the guy who just released a video complaining that youtards call him fat?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

The way I look at it (haven't watched the video) with LAV is that people expect a certain "look" to go with the knowledge.

Now right or wrong it's there. He does have a bust your balls personality, nothing wrong with that at all and he has the history and can obviously back up the shooting.

Simply an observation.

And for whatever reason gun community has some very sensitive souls in it's ranks

Like the guy who just released a video complaining that youtards call him fat?  

Lol ouch!

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#23]
All you assholes talking shit.  Pay some respect to a honored veteran who served our country for a very long time.  Show some respect.  Regardless of his physical status right now, he still knows more about shooting than you ever will.

Most of all, christ guys, you are talking about a veteran who honorably served our country for many years.  Show some respect and shut your yappers.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
All you assholes talking shit.  Pay some respect to a honored veteran who served our country for a very long time.  Show some respect.  Regardless of his physical status right now, he still knows more about shooting than you ever will.

Most of all, christ guys, you are talking about a veteran who honorably served our country for many years.  Show some respect and shut your yappers.
View Quote

Hey now!

Get out of here with that talk

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The guy earned the right to be whatever weight he wants., a few times over.

View Quote

But other fat people don't have the right to be fat?

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Vickers trashed his body while dedicating his life to being a hard charger for our country. Doing what he did takes a massive toll.

I'm not much of a fan boy for anyone, but being disrespectful to men who serve, at such huge costs to themselves and their children/families, spouses, etc is nothing but low class and shows a definite lack of character .

LAV and other former hard chargers, no matter if the are overweight, in a wheelchair, or still in peak shape, will always have a seat at my family's dinner table.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Vickers trashed his body while dedicating his life to being a hard charger for our country. Doing what he did takes a massive toll.

I'm not much of a fan boy for anyone, but being disrespectful to men who serve, at such huge costs to themselves and their children/families, spouses, etc is nothing but low class and shows a definite lack of character .

LAV and other former hard chargers, no matter if the are overweight, in a wheelchair, or still in peak shape, will always have a seat at my family's dinner table.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yep.  People mocking him are about like someone mocking a retired NFL player who's gotten a gut.  Fuck the haters.  If it's so easy tell us why you didn't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think Larry's earned every right to let his body relax for awhile, even if it meant he put on some weight.

Yep.  People mocking him are about like someone mocking a retired NFL player who's gotten a gut.  Fuck the haters.  If it's so easy tell us why you didn't.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Here, here!  I respect the f&%k out of Vickers, he's accomplished more than most will dream of.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:08:41 PM EDT
[#29]
The "fat guy" feedback has NOTHING to do with his military service and EVERYTHING to do with him milking it for every last penny.

He sells, and sells, and sells himself. He is not receiving anything that he has not asked for.

I'm happy for Larry and his success. Major, major props to him for his service, and a great debt of thanks.

But, the fact is that he has made himself a very public figure, and that comes with caveats.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Never make fun of a man who ate away the screams of the men he killed.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The "fat guy" feedback has NOTHING to do with his military service and EVERYTHING to do with him milking it for every last penny.

He sells, and sells, and sells himself. He is not receiving anything that he has not asked for.

I'm happy for Larry and his success. Major, major props to him for his service, and a great debt of thanks.

But, the fact is that he has made himself a very public figure, and that comes with caveats.

View Quote

I watched the entire video.   It was the last of his videos I'll watch.  Since he failed to specify why he's so fat, while prattering on endlessly about himself, I'll fill in the blanks.

He's fat because he eats way too fucking much.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#32]
fat for me is ten pounds... but i can relate to ache and pain... twenty years of motocross, half as an Expert.
He owes no one an explanation, and can probably still put most Arfcommers on the ground.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:17:20 PM EDT
[#33]
LAV has really been the conversation starter the past few days.

What can be next!?!
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:25:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
LAV has really been the conversation starter the past few days.

What can be next!?!
View Quote

Paul Howe always seems to be a hot topic, especially his monthly newsletters.

oh wait. nvm
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:30:03 PM EDT
[#35]

Man Love Thursday is in full swing I see.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm a pretty active guy, but I'm fat because fuck dieting.  5'10" 200 and I'm a cheeseburger eatin' fool.
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote
This

He has a long tab that's all I need to know
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#38]
lol some of you are misinterpreting why he laid out his .mil service like he did.

Sounded to me like 15 years in one if the most physical units the Army, compounded with injuries, simple burnt out his desire to work out anymore.

Pretty understandable.

Also didn't realize so many here were expert dieticians

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:11:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Well with the swinging pull-ups at the end, it doesn't seem like his injuries keep him from working out. Thus, he just doesn't want to. That's fine; but he shouldn't make it sound like he's too crippled to train.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yep.

Simply an observation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Simply an observation.

It's understandable.

Listen, if I put in the effort in to wear the correct robe and hat, grow the beard and buy the best staff.......I don't care what they did in the past,if he calls himself a wizard he better damn well look like Gandalf.

Otherwise, what is the point?

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:15:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:23:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Good video thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:25:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Well with the swinging pull-ups at the end, it doesn't seem like his injuries keep him from working out. Thus, he just doesn't want to. That's fine; but he shouldn't make it sound like he's too crippled to train.
View Quote

What's the physically and mentally hardest thing you've ever done?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:30:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I took a really big poop once.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:31:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Vickers has moved on from Delta to training, consulting and product development.  Add in some writing and video work.  Good for him.  As long as he can wobble out to the range, I could give a fuck less how much he weighs.  He apparently can still deliver the goods when teaching and has some real world experience to use when teaching.  He also built 1911's in the late 90's to early 2000's while still on active duty and if I recall correctly they were really regarded as well built guns that most people will never own because he built so few of them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Printer repairman checking in...

If his weight is literally the only thing people can attack about him, it illustrates more about the person making the attack.
View Quote

It's not JUST his weight, it's his elbows too. Have you seen his elbows, how pointy they are? And my GOD his eyebrows, they're not as straight as the average person's eyebrows.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:43:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It's understandable.

Listen, if I put in the effort in to wear the correct robe and hat, grow the beard and buy the best staff.......I don't care what they did in the past,if he calls himself a wizard he better damn well look like Gandalf.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Simply an observation.

It's understandable.

You damn right!

I'm not taking wizardry instruction from a muscle head
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#48]
if you watch the video.. he tends to give a bit more of a metaphor/philosophical reason for it.  :shrugs:
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:53:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

AMEN!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:13:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Pretty great as seen in this thread, there is always that one guy or two who have to piss on someone who's clearly down. Just like I'm sure Vickers is skimming through this thread, he sees the asshole (and minority) comments over the years and it eventually builds up. While of course if Larry put his mind to it, he could lose even more weight, not everyone can be super-motivated in every aspect at every point in their life - especially when you spent 20 years focused on fitness at the level that he did.

You get burned out, injuries stack up, and the simple fact that when getting out of an experience like Delta, the amount of calories you burn goes way down but a lot of times the diet remains the same.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top