Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I see no problem with a parent deciding to do this.

I find it funny how so many people on here preach freedom but then try to dictate what other people should be doing.  

It's a very simple and easy procedure that can really help that little girl's self esteem.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:34:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I find it funny how so many people on here preach freedom but then try to dictate what other people should be doing.  

It's a very simple and easy procedure that can really help that little girl's self esteem.
View Quote

According to the story, it's the mother's self esteem more at issue here.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Mom is fucked in the head.  Separate issue from the ears.

If it was my kid I'd get her ears fixed.  I guess according to most in the thread that makes me a bad person.  So be it.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#4]
She shouldnt have reproduced
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Mom is fucked in the head.  Separate issue from the ears.

If it was my kid I'd get her ears fixed.  I guess according to most in the thread that makes me a bad person.  So be it.
View Quote

If it makes you feel better, i thought you were bad before this thread.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No I think that's a cleft palate (sp?)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its a very simple and common procedure.

If she's paying for it, why not?

You'd correct a hair lip, right?

Hair lip has speech problems not looks.    Apples to Potatoes

No I think that's a cleft palate (sp?)

The hair lip is the repair from the cleft palate. Ex sis in law had one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#7]
that's fucking stupid.

That girl's ears are adorable.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't worry mom and little girl, Obama is a jug eared bastard and he is president now!
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I knew girls in high school who got nose jobs, ear pinning, and tits as presents from their Valium and Vodka addled wealthy divorcee mothers.

This is not the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#10]
had big ears all my life, beat one kid bloody and the funny remarks stop.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Hopefully the doctor that does the daughter's surgery has eyes. Mom's ears are fucking ugly.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The hair lip is the repair from the cleft palate. Ex sis in law had one.
View Quote

Yup, but you mean hare lip, like a rabbit.  When you look at one it's obvious where the name came from:

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:12:58 PM EDT
[#13]
That doctor though.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#14]
What the hell? It's a cute kid. Leave her be.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Her ears look better than those things stuck on the side of her mother's head.

Cosmetic surgery to prevent bullying - maybe she should take a boxing class. Not to encourage violence in elementary school, but it sure is hard to talk crap with a fat lip.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#16]
If it was my child id spend the surgery money on kickboxing lessons so by the time kids start making fun of her she would be an ass kicking machine .
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Only she can decide if she's bullied.

You have to choose to be hurt.
View Quote

I'm going to disagree on this.

Bullying, the real thing, is constant, methodical, and torturous.  It's not just the big kid in school beating random kids up for their lunch money (this is robbery).  It's not just some general peechee and teasing (that's kids being kids).  It's not even the occasional fight (again, many young boys have a tendency to fight until it gets out of their system or they get beat up badly enough that they give it up).

Bullying is done from a position of advantage (numerical, physical, age, social status, etc) to methodically destroy the target.  Mental and psychological toughness offer a defense, absolutely, but they are resistance and not impenetrable.  

Sooner or later, everyone breaks against torture.  And even if you don't break, it doesn't mean you still don't get hurt.

Bullying is effective because the target is never allowed to feel like they are safe.  They are always on the defensive.  They are forced to erect their mental defenses and keep them up at all times.  You force somebody to live at code red, while the bully (or bullies) has the opportunity to rest, regroup, and plan.

Preparing for times of specifically anticipated confrontation further harasses the target.  The target experiences fear and an unwillingness to enter the situation (e.g. lunchtime, recess, certain hallways or areas they might be cornered, etc), while the bully anticipates these events with eagerness.  The bully enjoys the torture, and enjoys even the anticipation of it.  The deck is stacked against the victim, psychologically speaking.  They're playing catch-up all the time.  

And let's not forget that even if it were level ground with regards to preparation and anticipation, the bully still only operates from a position of relative advantage.

The worst part is that people (victims and authorities included) don't understand what bullying is and fail to identify it.  That's how bullying continues to happen in the first place.  Victims don't understand that they're being tortured (they think every child feels that way, or that they have no way out, or that they deserve it somehow, or pick any other mix of reasons).  Authority figures don't understand what bullying is, and they overreact to small things (teasing, fighting), and underreact or fail to act to stop systematic bullying.  Parents may not even know at all, especially if the victim doesn't talk and the bullying never crosses an obvious violence threshold.

People on the internet make a big deal about bullying, and they say all sorts of shit about "awareness" or whatever...

But stories like this are the perfect indication that people are still completely ignorant.  Your ears aren't going to make you a target for bullying, and furthermore, if there was a way to stop bullying solely by shielding the victims in conformity, every kid that was ever bullied would have gladly stopped it by simply conforming.  Conformity (or the lack of it) has nothing to do with it.  It may be the initial premise for a probing attack, but that's irrelevant.  Bullies will just continue to probe more kids until they find a victim.

Ironically, this is the one thing that "awareness" can actually help to fix, and the internet has been seriously sucking at it the one job it can actually do.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My daughter's are like that. She hated them from about 11-15 years old. Now she says she likes them,they are part of her, and wouldn't change if it was free. She's almost 21 now.
View Quote

I'm mixed on this one.

Kids are cruel, and while sometimes it's just teasing, other times it's extreme and that can scar a kid, emotionally. Why put them through that?

I'm not particularly swayed by guys saying that their son had big ears but learned to deal with it. Males aren't subjected to the same hatred for nonstandard looks as females are. (If the real world hadn't already taught me this, GD certainly would have—some of you are very unforgiving if a girl is not pretty enough. )

But, maggiethecat says that their daughter had ears like that, and now at age 21 wouldn't want them gone. So she learned to deal with them and now they're a part of her.

So I guess I'd vote for letting the kid decide. If they are being tormented at school and want them gone, them get them gone. If they are okay with them, don't do anything.

This isn't some drastic surgery, so I could go either way with it. All I know is that if a kid hates them and wants them gone, it's not like a sex change operation or anything. I doubt that a kid is going to be sad later and wish that they had their jug ears back.  They'll just go on with their life.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah, the mom's ears are jacked. I didn't know that Earl Scheib offered plastic surgery.
View Quote

That right there is funny, I don't care who you are

I have a niece whose ears stick out, and she is very proud of them - of course, she looks like a prettier Olivia Wilde otherwise, so you don't even notice the ears.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Cosmetic surgery to prevent bullying - maybe she should take a boxing class. Not to encourage violence in elementary school, but it sure is hard to talk crap with a fat lip.
View Quote

Martial arts' strongest advantage is the instillation of confidence.  It's simply easier to stand up to a bully when you know you can kick their ass.

But it's not everything.  I was a state-competitive wrestler, but in the lowest weight class, and I got bullied to hell and back.  Skills are great, but there's only so much you do to overcome physics.  And when the other kid has 50 pounds on you, you're gonna get beat the fuck up.  Just the way it is.  The most you can hope for is to hurt them as much as you can.  Also, let's not forget that bullies often operate in groups.  Even if you can hurt one asshole bad enough to not mess with you again, you've got much less chance against 2 or 3 fuckers.
I carried weapons, and I fought dirty, and I had skills, and I still usually lost.

And even then, we're back to the issue that teaching one kid some self defense techniques (be they physical, mental, psychological, whatever) can only defer the bullying onto a different target.

Think of it like concealed handguns.  Yes, it will protect the carrier and perhaps those around them, and it will do something to discourage crime...  but dedicated, committed criminals will still find victims.

The ONLY way to actually stop violent crime is to identify the criminals and kill them.  And even then we know it's not 100% effective.

The only way to stop bullying is to identify the bullies and eliminate either their desire or opportunity to commit their crimes.  They need to be pointed out and publicly shamed.  This empowers the victim and lets everyone know that this shit is unacceptable.  It gives the bully a taste of their own medicine, and they experience the psychological trauma that the victim does.  The bully needs to be warned of the consequences should their behavior continue, and the threat needs to be both credible and substantial.  Expulsion and criminal charges need to be on the table.  The bystanders need to be assured that it is in their best interest to expose bullying and that they will be protected if they do.  Victims need the opportunity to actually voice their concerns and have them be taken seriously.  "Open door policies" almost never actually are, and trusted authorities are almost never actually trustworthy.  That needs to fucking change, but it requires that schools employ actual leaders, and not just political administrators.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Her freedom to do as she pleases does not trump my freedom to voice my opinion.  It's not like I went out in the world, found this mother and told her how I felt without her soliciting a response/attention.    She went public, the story was posted on a DISCUSSION board and we are discussing it.  

I'm sure it is an easy procedure and it may help her self esteem.  On the other hand, it could easily teach the little girl that in order to be accepted in society and to be happy inside it's okay to change your natural features.  That's what we're discussing.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#22]
id do it for my kid. Not asking you to pay for it so why not? Anything i can do to make my kids life easier, with in reason, will be done.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I think the kid looks fine but I ain't the one getting bullied either.

If it's a simple procedure, the kid is on board, and it passes the "do no harm" test then I don't see what the big deal is.  My parent jacked up my mouth with braces when I was little to correct my smile.  I don't see how this is different and I can't say that I have any regrats.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think the kid looks fine but I ain't the one getting bullied either.

If it's a simple procedure, the kid is on board, and it passes the "do no harm" test then I don't see what the big deal is.  My parent jacked up my mouth with braces when I was little to correct my smile.  I don't see how this is different and I can't say that I have any regrats.
View Quote

The little girl isn't getting bullied either.  Mom assumes she'll be teased at some point in the future.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Knew a beautiful girl back in college who's ears stuck out, she covered them 99% of time. The times she didn't people would be like WTF.
She went on to have three kids and one of her daughters has the same thing.
Nothing wrong with getting them fixed if the kid has an issue but it should be age appropriate.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top