Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2015 1:16:39 AM EDT
I am selling a Glock 20, gen 3 on texas gun trader, because i bought a gen 4. I am asking $500, but dont expect to get it.

anyway, I got an email from ...the prince of nigeria, we'll say. guy wants to pay in all the suspicious ways, and even give me an extra $125 to be quick about it. He sent me an email with an FFL scan, I looked it up, FFL is legit.

Question: obvious scam is obvious, but i have doubts about the FFL's involvement. are they in on it? is an employee in on it? are they just a dupe?

Question 2: is there a way to nail this jackwagon? or at least ass-fuck him for shipping or something? basically anything i can do to fuck a scammer.

all ideas are welcome. I suspect i can't really do anything to the guy, but maybe I can mail him a box of poop.

Update: FFL never picks up the phone, but is a legit FFL (yes, i checked with the ATF's web-tool) their website is http://www.houstonfirearmtransfers.com/

I would post the scammer's name, and email, but i suspect they have been hijacked from a legitimate person.

ETA 1: any internets detectives here? I would sort of like some help trying to contact this person (the guy whos identity i think the scammer is using) and give him a heads up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:21:36 AM EDT
[#1]
First of all, notify the FFL that his name and number are being misused in a scam. I'm pretty sure he'll appreciate the info.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:02:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Send him a "bag of dicks" and a tub of Vasaline
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:16:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, definitely contact the FFL for sure. If the guy is really going around flashing someone else's FFL then he's proly looking at some prison time. On the other hand, lots of people have FFLs even though they don't own a gun store. They just sell guns out of their houses, he could be doing that.

Be careful how you proceed with him. I've encountered some mentally ill people when selling guns in the past.

I had one situation very similar to what you are describing. I was selling a gun for my dad because he's not really gun savvy, so I help him out with that stuff. The guy made us a top dollar offer, and I told him I would hold it for him and meet up with him that weekend to make the deal. That wasn't fast enough for him, though, and he wouldn't take no for an answer, kept bugging me. I explained to him that it was my father's gun, and that he would not be available until that weekend because he was out of town on business. The guy wanted me to go get the gun out of my father's gun safe, then meet up with him that day, to which I explained that I wasn't about to sell my dad's gun without his knowledge, to make a very long story short. Well, the guy didn't like that answer and he started harassing me, told me I was a pussy because I wouldn't sell my dad's gun without him. Keep in mind that it was only like three days until my dad got back in town. In reality, my dad wouldn't have cared if I had sold it without him, and I do know the combo to his safe, but by that time I was getting spooked. The guy was acting totally schizo. I tried to be polite, just told him it wasn't going to happen until that weekend, hoping he wouldn't call me back and I wouldn't have to mess with him. He just wouldn't give up tho, so I told him to stop. He sent me threatening text messages for the next two days. I looked up the number and found out he was living in a halfway house for mental patients.

Definitely don't send him poop in the mail, that would be a federal crime, they could even hit you with bioterrorism or some bs like that
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:14:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, definitely contact the FFL for sure. If the guy is really going around flashing someone else's FFL then he's proly looking at some prison time. On the other hand, lots of people have FFLs even though they don't own a gun store. They just sell guns out of their houses, he could be doing that.

Be careful how you proceed with him. I've encountered some mentally ill people when selling guns in the past.

I had one situation very similar to what you are describing. I was selling a gun for my dad because he's not really gun savvy, so I help him out with that stuff. The guy made us a top dollar offer, and I told him I would hold it for him and meet up with him that weekend to make the deal. That wasn't fast enough for him, though, and he wouldn't take no for an answer, kept bugging me. I explained to him that it was my father's gun, and that he would not be available until that weekend because he was out of town on business. The guy wanted me to go get the gun out of my father's gun safe, then meet up with him that day, to which I explained that I wasn't about to sell my dad's gun without his knowledge, to make a very long story short. Well, the guy didn't like that answer and he started harassing me, told me I was a pussy because I wouldn't sell my dad's gun without him. Keep in mind that it was only like three days until my dad got back in town. In reality, my dad wouldn't have cared if I had sold it without him, and I do know the combo to his safe, but by that time I was getting spooked. The guy was acting totally schizo. I tried to be polite, just told him it wasn't going to happen until that weekend, hoping he wouldn't call me back and I wouldn't have to mess with him. He just wouldn't give up tho, so I told him to stop. He sent me threatening text messages for the next two days. I looked up the number and found out he was living in a halfway house for mental patients.

Definitely don't send him poop in the mail, that would be a federal crime, they could even hit you with bioterrorism or some bs like that
View Quote

this guy isn't crazy. just a standard boiler plate scammer.

and also idk about the poop thing, it just seemed funny http://www.poopsenders.com/

I plan on calling the FFL today, and mentioning the name this scammer gave me...see what happens. maybe ask if they have a record of said customer. I'm willing to jump through hoops to hammer a guy who wants to scam and seems to be ready to use a legit FFL
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:37:17 AM EDT
[#5]
They called me yesterday, I won the Publishers Clearing House, again.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:27:22 AM EDT
[#6]
bump

still want advice to hammer a scammer
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They called me yesterday, I won the Publishers Clearing House, again.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Send him an Anus-brand laptop. You know you want to.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

How did a cell phone number lead you to a halfway house? Which halfway house was it?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
bump

still want advice to hammer a scammer
View Quote

What did the FFL say when you called?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Send him a "bag of dicks" and a tub of Vasaline
View Quote

this is the prudent route to follow
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
You should have called law enforcement and notified them that this guy was trying to purchase a firearm, I doubt he could legally possess a weapon, he could get one somewhere else and end up killing someone with it.

This is not the situation in which to say "I don't want to make waves"

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Can we all just agree to use normal sized fonts?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Can we all just agree to use normal sized fonts?
View Quote

I wish

even here, people want to be special snowflakes.

ETA: your avatar is a great game.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#16]
bump for internet stalker assistance
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#17]
So the guy's wanting you to ship to an FFL and pay with PayPal or something?  FFL doesn't answer his phone?

Stall the 'buyer' by telling him you are having trouble contacting his FFL in order to make shipping arrangments.  See if 'buyer' then sends you another FFL to try.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So the guy's wanting you to ship to an FFL and pay with PayPal or something?  FFL doesn't answer his phone?

Stall the 'buyer' by telling him you are having trouble contacting his FFL in order to make shipping arrangments.  See if 'buyer' then sends you another FFL to try.
View Quote

guy isn't talking anymore. still want to follow through as much as possible.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I get responses like that every once in a while, I usually tell them its not going to happen pretty quickly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top