BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 25
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Plenty of places here in the US where people fear neither God nor the government's law.

Hence why their babies never do nothing wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What he is graphically saying is where does rule of law ultimately stem from?  I am not an atheist, so I can not think like an atheist.  

From a Christian point of view - we have 3 basic reasons that we obey laws.  1) we want to be good people-saints (people who love God and want to please him), 2) earthly consequence of being caught and 3) the eternal consequence.  If you remove our religion from the table, 1 & 3 go away, and honestly most criminals don't think 2) will happen to them.

At the end of the day - it can be hard for a Christian to understand why would an atheist obeying law if they did not think there would be consequences.  He is simply pointing out the consequence of what would if that came full circle.

So you're saying that without a belief in God, no one can have an ethical compass directing them not to hurt their neighbors?   That the only reason they don't murder and pillage is because of the law?

Bullshit.

Plenty of places here in the US where people fear neither God nor the government's law.

Hence why their babies never do nothing wrong.

And?   Fuck them.   Shoot them in the face if they try anything.  

More face shootings for bad actors= better breed of people.   I firmly believe the majority of humans are not feral.   Else, we never would have bothered to create any type of government or laws in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Fuck him and fuck his fagot god

Just because someone doesn't believe in a god doesn't mean they don't believe in right and wrong. Fuck him.
View Quote

So what is "right and wrong" to you?

Do you just make it up?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, he took reductionist logic to its conclusion.

If life is endowed with no purpose it has no value/
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Divine morality is best morality.

BRB becoming a Muslim so I can get me some goats sex slaves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's a mindblower for the false dichotomy in this thread:

Those who believe in God or gods... but not necessarily YOUR God/gods, might very well have a different set of morals than you.

Oh sweet Jesus, you mean there might be more than two opinions on this subject?   Does not compute.  My poor American brain has been programmed since birth for every debate to have only two sides.

Divine morality is best morality.

BRB becoming a Muslim so I can get me some goats sex slaves.

FIFY  
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Nope. I'm not perfect.

I do get my sense of right and wrong from what God says because He makes the rules. His law is the law. 10 Commandments and all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the only reason you do the right things instead of the wrong things is fear of repercussions in the afterlife? Seems like a dick move.

Nope. I'm not perfect.

I do get my sense of right and wrong from what God says because He makes the rules. His law is the law. 10 Commandments and all.

How would you live your life if the 10 Commandments didn't exist?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So ISIS'  and the Nazies did nothing morally wrong then. According to their society and government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Morality is defined by society and government.

I wonder if it got him hard thinking about raping children in front of their father.

Bible thumpers gonna bible thump I guess.

So ISIS'  and the Nazies did nothing morally wrong then. According to their society and government.

You do realize that the Nazis were heavily involved at the highest levels with the occult, right? Hitler was desperate to find the spear of destiny and the holy grail. Himmler ran the SS as a a pagan cult, borrowing heavily from old norse mythology and the fairly recent  fad of occultism that was hugely popular in Europe and the US-seances and such. Though it was taken much more seriously amongst the intelligentsia in Germany. Secret societies and occult groups, all centered around the myths and the legends of the Aryan race. That's why that whole blonde haired and blue eyed thing was so important.

Atheists, by definition, do not believe in god or gods. Not the Christian god, not the Norse gods, not the Roman gods, not the Greek gods, not Baal, not Tiamat. No. Gods. Period. You can't, by any stretch, call the Nazis atheistic. You can call them pagan. But calling them atheists is sticking your fingers in your ears and going "lalala, I can't hear you! History is wrong, lalala!"
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I like Phil.

It just proves how unstable some atheists are with the Robertsons.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#9]
That analogy was just weird.

No pun intended, but Phil is an odd duck!

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's an exceptionally ignorant and stupid thing to say.

People care about right and wrong because they want to live a life able to pursue liberty and happiness. Laws punishing what is deemed as wrong help insure this ability.  Sometimes men get things wrong.

If we based our country on your JC values, how did slavery slip by. That's a pretty big mistake. So, no, we base morality on logic and reason and when we find we've got something wrong, we fix it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The morality comes from Judeo-Christian values that this country was founded upon

Why atheists would even care about right or wrong, I dunno.

Do whatever you want

That's an exceptionally ignorant and stupid thing to say.

People care about right and wrong because they want to live a life able to pursue liberty and happiness. Laws punishing what is deemed as wrong help insure this ability.  Sometimes men get things wrong.

If we based our country on your JC values, how did slavery slip by. That's a pretty big mistake. So, no, we base morality on logic and reason and when we find we've got something wrong, we fix it.

For a long time government and society approved of slavery. So, based on some arguments in this thread, it wasn't morally wrong.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#11]
sounds like people are taking this too literal..

somehow i only thought liberals did that...
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like Phil.

It just proves how unstable some atheists are with the Robertsons.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You do realize that the Nazis were heavily involved at the highest levels with the occult, right? Hitler was desperate to find the spear of destiny and the holy grail. Himmler ran the SS as a a pagan cult, borrowing heavily from old norse mythology and the fairly recent  fad of occultism that was hugely popular in Europe and the US-seances and such. Though it was taken much more seriously amongst the intelligentsia in Germany. Secret societies and occult groups, all centered around the myths and the legends of the Aryan race. That's why that whole blonde haired and blue eyed thing was so important.

Atheists, by definition, do not believe in god or gods. Not the Christian god, not the Norse gods, not the Roman gods, not the Greek gods, not Baal, not Tiamat. No. Gods. Period. You can't, by any stretch, call the Nazis atheistic. You can call them pagan. But calling them atheists is sticking your fingers in your ears and going "lalala, I can't hear you! History is wrong, lalala!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Morality is defined by society and government.

I wonder if it got him hard thinking about raping children in front of their father.

Bible thumpers gonna bible thump I guess.

The argument was that morality was whatever the government and society said it was.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Because that is exactly how atheism and criminal minds work...
View Quote

That's how invent-your-own-morality works.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:57:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, it is a rather disturbing, graphic, and detailed little metaphor he came up with...
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

and the liberal name calling has started.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:58:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Did you cheer when you heard Bin Laden was shot in the face?

Empathy can change depending on which side of the line you're standing on.  People here, myself included, might not feel a bit upset if we saw Michael Moore get hit in the nuts.  I'm not saying empathy has no place in this world, but many would argue it is a result of conditioning.  You can easily find Arabs who would delight in watching you, or me, get run over by a bus.  And there are many threads on this board that celebrate with glee a video of a Muslim getting blown up by his own IED.  

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Oh well.
View Quote

Pretty friggin narley..
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

As opposed to the bible where someone else made it up for them.

Sorry, I don't need a manual to tell me that things like murder, rape and stealing are wrong, but maybe you are the type of person who does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The people who like him will still like him, people who don't still won't.

But his logic is pretty stupid.  Atheist don't believe there isn't a right or wrong, they just don't believe in a god.

So where do atheists get their sense of right and wrong? They make it up

As opposed to the bible where someone else made it up for them.

Sorry, I don't need a manual to tell me that things like murder, rape and stealing are wrong, but maybe you are the type of person who does.

This is a well-used argument by atheists.  "I don't need a book to tell me to be a decent person!"  Of course one you start getting into the little details, you'll find that what's "right" and what's "wrong" start differing greatly between people who define the rules for themselves.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the only reason you do the right things instead of the wrong things is fear of repercussions in the afterlife? Seems like a dick move.

Nope. I'm not perfect.

If God, Heaven and Hell, did not exist and life was meaningless I'd live for the moment.

If Jesus did not die on the cross and left man hopeless and lost.............

Life is short, live for now. Do whatever makes you feel good. Screw everyone else.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:01:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the Christian name calling started  on page 1. Is somebody a Sensative Suzy?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

He's not gay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck him.

He's not gay.

He likes rape, and balls.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Well, it is a rather disturbing, graphic, and detailed little metaphor he came up with...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Life is graphic and disturbing/
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:02:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i dont see where i called anyone a liberal
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:02:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yep, me too.

I love how he drives the anti-theists crazy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like Phil but I don't necessarily agree with everything he says.  

Yep, me too.

I heard teenage girls drive pastors crazy.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

And the Christian name calling started  on page 1. Is somebody a Sensative Suzy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, it's hilarious.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Truth is, right and wrong are subjective.

you can be an atheist and believe in right and wrong. i know i do. i won't apologize for it either.

as for phil's comments?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, me too.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.401519.1416016195!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_445/larry-michael-thorne.jpg

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, me too.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.401519.1416016195!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_445/larry-michael-thorne.jpg

i dont care who you are,, that is funny. lol
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What he is graphically saying is where does rule of law ultimately stem from?  I am not an atheist, so I can not think like an atheist.  

From a Christian point of view - we have 3 basic reasons that we obey laws.  1) we want to be good people-saints (people who love God and want to please him), 2) earthly consequence of being caught and 3) the eternal consequence.  If you remove our religion from the table, 1 & 3 go away, and honestly most criminals don't think 2) will happen to them.

At the end of the day - it can be hard for a Christian to understand why would an atheist obeying law if they did not think there would be consequences.  He is simply pointing out the consequence of what would if that came full circle.
View Quote

I'm not an atheist (not enough proof to say, definitively, that There Is No God), but I suspect that simply being non-religious is enough by your standards to qualify.

I got my moral code from my family, from how I was raised.  Ultimately it stems from one simple concept: Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto you.  Frequently referred to as the Golden Rule.

It's pretty easy, really.  I don't like being stolen from, so I don't steal.  I don't like being assaulted so I don't attack people.  I have to imagine that being kidnapped or raped or murdered or getting my house burned down would all be things that i wouldn't care for, so I don't do them to other people.

I'm really not sure why some folks think that it's not possible for others to use this rule without some sort of higher power, be it god or government, telling them what is moral and what is not.

Now, you can argue that criminals will disregard the rule of law in order to victimize others, but it can also be argued that a great many criminals are breaking religious codes that they themselves ostensibly subscribe to.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#32]
It's pretty easy, really. I don't like being stolen from, so I don't steal. I don't like being assaulted so I don't attack people. I have to imagine that being kidnapped or raped or murdered or getting my house burned down would all be things that i wouldn't care for, so I don't do them to other people.
View Quote

But their are folks who enjoy assaulting other folks.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:11:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

The people that don't act out because of this are some of the most scary people in my mind.

Laws and consequences aren't holding me back from doing what I want. There is a law against riding wheelies but I still do its fun and I'm not hurting anybody.

The reason I don't rape and murder people is because I have empathy. It damn sure isn't some law holding me back.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Riddle me this.

My god, Odin, is all about human sacrifice and rape(but only while on "vacation").

What gives Phil Roberstson?   Its moral and acceptable to rape because Odin says so.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#35]

I can't say what I think this deserves so I won't, but I like how an ex drunk/druggie feels they are now the hand of God.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And here's where your silly theory falls apart. I don't believe in god. No heaven, no hell, no easter bunny, ghosts or leprechauns. I treat people well because I posess something called empathy. It means that I can recognize when another person is in pain-either emotional or physical. It's part of the reason you cringe instinctively when you see someone on youtube take a bowling ball to the nuts. You empathize. Sociopaths and psychopaths don't posess empathy. They don't recognize pain (or joy) in other people. It has nothing to do with religion.

The whole atheist/moral relativism argument is idiotic and irrelevant. Someone who adheres to every tenet of Christianity but is a sociopath would be wholly unmoved by watching someone run over by a bus. They might mimic to fit in, but they wouldn't actually feel anything. Someone who is a particularly empathetic atheist who doesn't give a shit about the bible might be emotionally crushed by that same incident.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, that is a harsh but accurate view of moral relativism

And here's where your silly theory falls apart. I don't believe in god. No heaven, no hell, no easter bunny, ghosts or leprechauns. I treat people well because I posess something called empathy. It means that I can recognize when another person is in pain-either emotional or physical. It's part of the reason you cringe instinctively when you see someone on youtube take a bowling ball to the nuts. You empathize. Sociopaths and psychopaths don't posess empathy. They don't recognize pain (or joy) in other people. It has nothing to do with religion.

The whole atheist/moral relativism argument is idiotic and irrelevant. Someone who adheres to every tenet of Christianity but is a sociopath would be wholly unmoved by watching someone run over by a bus. They might mimic to fit in, but they wouldn't actually feel anything. Someone who is a particularly empathetic atheist who doesn't give a shit about the bible might be emotionally crushed by that same incident.

Very well said.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I can't say what I think this deserves so I won't, but I like how an ex drunk/druggie feels they are now the hand of God.  
View Quote

Where did he say he was the hand of God exactly?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

No joke.

Know what the difference between Phil Robertson and I is, besides the fact that he is religious and I am not?

I was never a drunk or a druggie.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#40]
That guy's a fucking idiot.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, me too.

It isn't funny.
Its tardation manifested..
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Very well said.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very well said.

Being a sociopath or Pyshcopath (for most people) is just as much a choice as believeing in any one of the thousands of gods man has invented as the avatars and arbiters of social heteronomics. In many instances in the past people name themselves gods.

sociopathy can be normalized in civizations. It is in ours to a lesser degree then past times. Next time you watch TV, think about the disconnect from reality required to get lost in what you are seeing.

PS I have never seen an episode of duck dynasty.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

If God, Heaven and Hell, did not exist and life was meaningless I'd live for the moment.

If Jesus did not die on the cross and left man hopeless and lost.............

Life is short, live for now. Do whatever makes you feel good. Screw everyone else.

View Quote

That says a lot about you.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Why do you need God to know the difference between right and wrong?  I was taught that by my parents, who demonstrated those values to me every day.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
True. But one can not believe in a Supreme Being and still have moral standards based on logic and reason.

The moral standards in the Bible were written down by a man. Now these men said, and people believed, they came from God. Just because they said it and it's believed doesn't mean that these men could not have invented them via logic and reason.

Phil is under the impression that anyone who's not religious doesn't believe in moral standards or right and wrong. He's incorrect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

True. But one can not believe in a Supreme Being and still have moral standards based on logic and reason.

The moral standards in the Bible were written down by a man. Now these men said, and people believed, they came from God. Just because they said it and it's believed doesn't mean that these men could not have invented them via logic and reason.

Phil is under the impression that anyone who's not religious doesn't believe in moral standards or right and wrong. He's incorrect.

I think Phil is just noting that atheism, the belief that there is no God, is a system that can allow people to think their is no ultimate retribution for doing wrong.  He just used an extreme example.  Truly, the religion of evolution is a breeding ground for no morality, as morality isn't needed in a system that states that life comes from death, the continued cycle, and survival is attributed to the "fittest."  Atheists all have their own set of morals.  Yes, the basics are usually accepted, rape, murder, etc.  But past that, men are generally evil beings that will justify lying, some theft (steal any time from your employer?  You are a thief), adultery of the heart (comes from viewing all that porn or actually engaging in sex), coveting, dishonoring your parents, hating people, etc etc.

BTW, Phil and his family are believers in baptismal regeneration, something that mainstream Christianity and good theology rejects.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#47]
The rest of my family are all diehard fans of his, probably because they're still in the mindset that any hint of Christianity in a famous person has to be worshiped

He seems like a decent person, but he has his flaws like everyone else.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Also, you were never first string quarterback ahead of Terry Bradshaw who was second string quarterback.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No joke.

Know what the difference between Phil Robertson and I is, besides the fact that he is religious and I am not?

Also, you were never first string quarterback ahead of Terry Bradshaw who was second string quarterback.

I'd be willing to bet that cervantes44 wasn't a championship winning receiver either.

What's the point?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No joke.

i'll admit, guilty as charged.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

From a statistical point of view the vast majority of people involved in the Nazi and Stalinist system were neither psychopaths or sociopaths and were quite capable of feeling empathy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And here's where your silly theory falls apart. I don't believe in god. No heaven, no hell, no easter bunny, ghosts or leprechauns. I treat people well because I posess something called empathy. It means that I can recognize when another person is in pain-either emotional or physical. It's part of the reason you cringe instinctively when you see someone on youtube take a bowling ball to the nuts. You empathize. Sociopaths and psychopaths don't posess empathy. They don't recognize pain (or joy) in other people. It has nothing to do with religion. nt.

From a statistical point of view the vast majority of people involved in the Nazi and Stalinist system were neither psychopaths or sociopaths and were quite capable of feeling empathy.

You're right. There are aberations. You on your own as a normal individual would not order a bunch of innocents into a shower and gas them. However, studies like the Milgram experiment have shown that someone will go far beyond their natural willingness to do another person harm if they are being instructed to by someone in authority. The Milgram experiment was able to show that an ordinary person could be coerced to administer what they believed to be lethal shocks to a stranger under the direction of the tester.

Another experiment divided two groups of volunteers-one group into "prisoners" and the other group into "guards." The experiment had to be stopped because of violent incidents. Keep in mind that these were regular college students-not people in a massive depression after a world war suddenly given a charismatic leader and a ruthless internal police service.  The Stanford Prison Experiment showed how quickly an adverserial "us versus them" mentality took hold, and how quickly the guards became abusive.

The Stalinist system was atheistic, though it supplanted church with the State and demanded absolute obesiance, Political dissidence was ruthlessly crushed. Neighbors were made to spy on neighbors, and they did, because if it was found out they knew and didn't report subversive behaviors, they faced punishment as well. Those in power were ruthless in order to stay that way, and their enforcers were effectively trapped. Sure, they got better accomodations than the rest of the citizens, but if they were thought disloyal, they vanished. Repeated acts of violence made it easier for them-"Better him than me" probably not much different than the guy running the bolt gun in a slaughter house. The first 20 or so may be rough, but by the hundredth, it's just another day at the office.

They weren't communists because they were atheists. The leaders of the party simply wouldn't allow any competition for its loyalty.
Page / 25
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top