View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:

Harley Davidson

I was surprised it took so long.

I came here to post this.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
The costumes and "apparel" yes, the bikes are actually a joy to ride.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The simple answer: ALMOST EVERYTHING YOU USE ON A DAILY BASIS

If you have time, watch the documentary called The Century of the Self.  It takes you through how we went from a world that bought necessities to a world where people "deserved" things, where they needed to "fulfill their desires".  Where buying things (even things you don't need, to replace things you hadn't worn out yet) fulfilled some sort of emotional hole.

It'll make you want to punch a wall.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Where's The Beef?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:15:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd buy a 12pack right now  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crystal Clear Pepsi /thread
I'd buy a 12pack right now  

Throw on some Van Hagar, and let the good times roll.

Crystal Clear Pepsi was the fall of the Berlin wall of the Cola Wars.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:11:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There's a lot more truth to that than many are willing to admit.

5.56 is better for most jobs. .300blk only makes sense with subsonic loads and a can.

Most of the people I know playing with .300blk don't own any cans.

But "Blackout" sounds cool, and the bullet is bigger, so that must make it better, right? LOL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
300Blackout.

No actual money spent By AAC/ freedom group in its first several years after introduction to advertise it(contrary to bogus and made up claims of a million dollar advertising campaign)

And yet it has become one of the most popular alternative AR15 calibers

There's a lot more truth to that than many are willing to admit.

5.56 is better for most jobs. .300blk only makes sense with subsonic loads and a can.

Most of the people I know playing with .300blk don't own any cans.

But "Blackout" sounds cool, and the bullet is bigger, so that must make it better, right? LOL.

I don't know if the name was it or not for some..  I was sold on the concept before AAC/Freedom Group brought out the 300 blackout.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:32:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Same is true for Michael Kors, Dolce & Gabbana, etc.  

Women will line up to pay big bucks for a $20 purse or a $5 pair of sunglasses made in China, just because it has the logo on it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:36:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Social Security.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:38:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Smoky the Bear
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:44:30 AM EDT
[#10]
TL;DR

Haircuts and shaving faces for men, and shaving legs for women.  Gillette made a fortune marketing the "safety razor".
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:47:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

one simple little line probably close to doubled the sales for the shampoo industry

lather, rinse, repeat
View Quote

Too many great responses in this thread to quote.  But "Lather, Rinse, Repeat" pretty much sums up the scumbaggery of marketing execs.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:50:09 AM EDT
[#12]
5 Hour Energy Drinks
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Number one on my list is Pet Rocks. I'll never understand how they pulled that off.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:02:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Ink cartridges , tornado air filter for cars, 911 and the ambulance- totally turned the health care industry upside down.   Hell fire triggers , thigh master, nordic trac , lance armstrong wrist bands , duke nukem returns, half life 2 2.5 and 3 im sure. G3 para stock. Tapco , tap out clothing , any nfl clothing line
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:03:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Stop buying crappy brands. Front loaders wash way better.

My father is in the coin op laundry business,  when we switched from Top loader to front we were able to increase profits threw reduction of water usage, the machines hold a higher capacity and use less water. And still clean better..

If your getting them from home depot or best buy, thats your problem. Try getting a speedqueen next time. That machine in a home will out last you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One more: FRONT LOADING WASHERS.

We had top-loading washers forever. They worked, but they were boring and you could score one for about $349. But wait! Let's make everyone believe front-loading washer are "Euro" and therefore better. Charge $1,000+ for these POS and make sure they don't last long and leak.

My father is in the coin op laundry business,  when we switched from Top loader to front we were able to increase profits threw reduction of water usage, the machines hold a higher capacity and use less water. And still clean better..

If your getting them from home depot or best buy, thats your problem. Try getting a speedqueen next time. That machine in a home will out last you.

Thanks for that advice.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:10:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have had about 3 different residential HVAC guys tell me to NOT buy the expensive filters.  They clog and then make your system work harder, causing premature wear.

Top load washers are going away because they can't meet efficiency demands.  They use too much water.  Also, the agitators wear out your clothes.
View Quote

Not knowing anything about laundry machines other than working on cars as a hobby, I refused to buy a front loader because seals.
Having said that, I bought a king-size top loader HE machine that doesn't agitate.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:12:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/304326/dog-poop-coach.jpg

Women will line up to pay big bucks for a $20 purse or a $5 pair of sunglasses made in China, just because it has the logo on it.
View Quote

Yep.  My wife would go nuts for shitty leather purses because they had a brass duck logo.  Good think I'm not like that.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to inquire about some LaRue rifles.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:14:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Number one on my list is Pet Rocks. I'll never understand how they pulled that off.
View Quote

Funny story: The kids with Pet Rocks (tm) (R) would laugh at the kids who just picked up rocks off the ground and called them "pet rocks" because "They're not real pet rocks!"
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:17:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Funny story: The kids with Pet Rocks (tm) (R) would laugh at the kids who just picked up rocks off the ground and called them "pet rocks" because "They're not real pet rocks!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Future democrats.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Hornady,  Zombie Max. Green tip, print new box. Smash Hit!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:46:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
pet rock.
View Quote

[/Thread]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:07:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Hornady,  Zombie Max. Green tip, print new box. Smash Hit!
View Quote
Yep.  First thing I thought of.

Vmax & Zmax make the same holes in paper & beer cans that MOST shoot them into.

This:

Fishing equipment.

Shooting accessories.

Nightforce scopes.  Yep, I have one.  It was $1250 used.  I have several Burris scopes that are on par with the Nightforce at less than half the cost.  Flame away.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Bundled cable/satellite tv packages.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You are wrong on all counts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wings are popular because people like them, not because of marketing.

Keep on believing that.  I remember when no one intentionally sought them out to eat.

Can you remember that time?  No?  You grew up with them?  Congratulations, you're a victim of a successful marketing campaign.

Sorry about that.  

Quoted:

In reality, chicken wings, like the breast, are white meat. The difference between white and dark meat is attributed to the amount of myoglobin in the muscles. Myoglobin is stored in muscles that get exercise, because they need more oxygen. The more exercise a muscle gets, the higher the concentration of myoglobin.
Some people are color blind.

Bullshit.  Everything I've ever read in nearly 45 years describes them as dark meat.  Some people just like to argue, I guess.

Yeah, I'm gonna go with "no, I'm not" for 1000, Francis.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#26]
As an engineer in the OEM car audio space: "Premium" speakers such as Infinity and Bose. Speakers are the most profitable part used in the vehicle because people will pay hundreds of dollars in price for a few cents difference in cost.

Although it can't beet diamonds or jewelry in general.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:00:29 PM EDT
[#27]
What the fuck GD?

This thread has talked shit about Glocks, bullet types, social security, various types of consumer electronics.

And the discussion keeps going back to fucking chicken wings?  

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wings are popular because people like them, not because of marketing.

Keep on believing that.  I remember when no one intentionally sought them out to eat.

Can you remember that time?  No?  You grew up with them?  Congratulations, you're a victim of a successful marketing campaign.

Sorry about that.  

Quoted:

In reality, chicken wings, like the breast, are white meat. The difference between white and dark meat is attributed to the amount of myoglobin in the muscles. Myoglobin is stored in muscles that get exercise, because they need more oxygen. The more exercise a muscle gets, the higher the concentration of myoglobin.
Some people are color blind.

Bullshit.  Everything I've ever read in nearly 45 years describes them as dark meat.  Some people just like to argue, I guess.

lol this guy
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

This will be hard to top.

Bottled water is another.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Diamonds

This will be hard to top.

Bottled water is another.

Anything sold by Billy Mays.  RIP

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Keurig coffee makers. Went from making coffee for about $.15/cup to $1.59/cup. Wife had to have one.
View Quote

Still cheaper than Starbucks LOL
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Taurus Judge.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I actually prefer the non-agitator washing machines, based on life experience with both types. Specifically, I'm a cheapskate and my clothes lasted longer when I was using a front-stuffer, no-agitator washing machine.

But I won't spend $87,000 to get one, either.

The difference, to me, isn't worth much in financial terms...I might pay a small amount for the difference, but not much (and I'd prefer not to at all).

Marketing, though? Going with "Springfield Armory, Inc", "Henry Repeating Arms", or "ArmaLite, Inc" in the present day. Convince the gun-buying public that they're somehow The Original Thing (especially the ex-Eagle Arms "Armalite" and the "Henry Repeating Arms") and therefore high-quality, when all the company did was pay for the rights to the name.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One more: FRONT LOADING WASHERS.

We had top-loading washers forever. They worked, but they were boring and you could score one for about $349. But wait! Let's make everyone believe front-loading washer are "Euro" and therefore better. Charge $1,000+ for these POS and make sure they don't last long and leak.

Totally with you on this one.

I actually prefer the non-agitator washing machines, based on life experience with both types. Specifically, I'm a cheapskate and my clothes lasted longer when I was using a front-stuffer, no-agitator washing machine.

But I won't spend $87,000 to get one, either.

The difference, to me, isn't worth much in financial terms...I might pay a small amount for the difference, but not much (and I'd prefer not to at all).

Marketing, though? Going with "Springfield Armory, Inc", "Henry Repeating Arms", or "ArmaLite, Inc" in the present day. Convince the gun-buying public that they're somehow The Original Thing (especially the ex-Eagle Arms "Armalite" and the "Henry Repeating Arms") and therefore high-quality, when all the company did was pay for the rights to the name.
The fact you have to leave the door open to keep shit from growing in them is a show stopper for me.

Leave it closed for two days ONCE and you gotta bleach it clean it air it out and run a space heater near it, then it still sorta smells afterwards.

God forbid if it's in a high traffic area where some kid / cat / dog / visitor might close it.

All for "less water."
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Keurig coffee makers. Went from making coffee for about $.15/cup to $1.59/cup. Wife had to have one.
View Quote
I pay .20 to .80 for mine.  Stop buying them in 12 packs at the Kwik-e-Mart and get them online.  One of those machines makes sense for a single person who would otherwise throw away half a pot of coffee. It's faster, smaller, and has more choice on flavors too.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Rainbow Vacuum cleaners
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#35]
5 pages in and nobody has mentioned the USMC?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#36]
That Blackhawk makes good, high quality, tough products.  I have a pair of their gloves named Hellstorm.  They're so wimpy I wouldn't even have named them Heckstorm.

That 5.11 also makes good, high quality, tough products.  I have a pair of their denim jeans that I only used for sitting around in my office & they broke down in no time.

I'll never buy anything made by either of those companies again unless it's some huge close out & they're giving away the product for almost nothing because that's all they're worth.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:43:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How do marketing departments get you to spend significantly more money on some mundane item that you've bought - cheaply - for many years but now you're happy to spend 10 times more for the same thing. Bottled water is the best example, but too obvious. Several others come to mind quickly but I'll leave those for someone else.

My topic to start with is AC/Furnace filters. Many decades we went along, happily buying spun fiberglass filters for less than a buck each.

http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/386953/file-2080970416-jpg/images_filter_industry_Misc/Filter-Flat.jpg?t=1426171658345

<snip>

Go into Wal Mart, Home Depot, etc. and you'll find that you can't even find the cheap filters anymore. Marketing genius!
[/span]
View Quote

Ace hardware sells them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm using a sub-$500 top-loader that was purchased in the '90s. It's needed one $5 repair, and I'm pretty confident in my ability to service it myself if there are any other problems.

My water bill is low, it handles bachelor-sized piles of laundry, and I can leave the lid up to let soiled clothing soak.

There's no way in hell I'm spending $1,900 on a washing machine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For only $3600/set....that's affordable...

You get what you pay for, like with everything else.

last machines you will ever buy...

I'm using a sub-$500 top-loader that was purchased in the '90s. It's needed one $5 repair, and I'm pretty confident in my ability to service it myself if there are any other problems.

My water bill is low, it handles bachelor-sized piles of laundry, and I can leave the lid up to let soiled clothing soak.

There's no way in hell I'm spending $1,900 on a washing machine.

No shit. thats just fucking retarded. Water is incredibly cheap. It would take generations to payback in just water savings for a homeowner. I have a $400 top loaders. I put one little pod of detergent in it and my clothes come out clean. The last one I had lasted about 30 years.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Harley Davidson

I was surprised it took so long.

I came here to post this.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I can't say about the bigger bikes, but my Dad's Sportster felt like I was being beaten to death by a lawnmower.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Organic foods.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yep.  My wife would go nuts for shitty leather purses because they had a brass duck logo.  Good think I'm not like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/304326/dog-poop-coach.jpg

When was the last time you saw Larue rifles for sale at a garage sale for $10? Pretty much everything that is clothing/\fashion has a HUGE depreciation the second it leaves the store. The good thing about firearms is, if you buy carefully, and buy quality, you don't tend to lose a lot over the years unless you beat the heck out of them.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Fishing tackle. Make it for .10 cents, sell it for $5.99.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#43]
From the annals of advertising/marketing history:

PLOP PLOP FIZZ FIZZ

(instead of PLOP FIZZ. They could have made one tablet twice as strong. Because of the ad campaign, you automatically take two, even if you don't need two. They doubled their sales before the first tablet was ever sold.).
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Pet Rock.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Obama, the gun marketing salesman master extraordinaire. I think I'm going to have a plaque made for him and send it to the White House
View Quote

Fuck'in A right
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#46]
All of it. Any time you've looked at something in an ad or spot and said "I want that"... That's the only accomplishment that counts.

There are varying degrees of success at it, but typically by appealing to the top 5% of the actual users, and letting the aspirationals follow on, you achieve your goals. Apple has indeed been the paragon of doing this, and well.

/marketer.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:00:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Too many great responses in this thread to quote.  But "Lather, Rinse, Repeat" pretty much sums up the scumbaggery of marketing execs.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
one simple little line probably close to doubled the sales for the shampoo industry

lather, rinse, repeat

I'm a software developer. I was in the shower for days before someone found me and broke the infinite loop by shutting off the water.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:25:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Apple FTW. Who else has built a trillion dollars company on a pile of expensive turds?!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Don't know if it's been said yet, but Harley Davidson.  Internationally known.  How many other brands out there have their logo tattooed on millions.  How many people where their logo on clothing, when they are not even a clothing maker?  They turned their product into an experience, or a getaway for millions of middle aged dudes as a method for them to prove that they are manly and still cool.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top