User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:45:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
... Seriously: Prescription eyeglasses

They were much, much cheaper to aquire as a young adult.
WTF happened?

That, and inexpensive cars that regularly got 52+ MPG
View Quote

Zenni optical....
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:50:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Vaccines.
View Quote

Uh oh, we got a live one here.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:55:06 AM EDT
[#3]
"Push, pull or drag" car sales offers.  You pretty much give them your car for free if it's worth less than the amount they're offering as incentive.

"Free brakes for life" at Midas, etc.  Sure we'll replace the $20 pads for free, but you still gotta cover the $80 labor, and maybe some $90 rotors

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
One more: FRONT LOADING WASHERS.

We had top-loading washers forever. They worked, but they were boring and you could score one for about $349. But wait! Let's make everyone believe front-loading washer are "Euro" and therefore better. Charge $1,000+ for these POS and make sure they don't last long and leak.
View Quote

Stop buying crappy brands. Front loaders wash way better.

My father is in the coin op laundry business,  when we switched from Top loader to front we were able to increase profits threw reduction of water usage, the machines hold a higher capacity and use less water. And still clean better..

If your getting them from home depot or best buy, thats your problem. Try getting a speedqueen next time. That machine in a home will out last you.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bone-in chicken wings.

Holy shit, they were GARBAGE meat that couldn't be GIVEN away until the late 80s, when some marketing genius decided to sell them to college kids at bars covered in BBQ sauce.

Now, you can pay up to multiple dollars PER WING at some places.

I refuse to eat them, they're STILL nasty shitty dark meat, veiny and gross.

View Quote

In reality, chicken wings, like the breast, are white meat. The difference between white and dark meat is attributed to the amount of myoglobin in the muscles. Myoglobin is stored in muscles that get exercise, because they need more oxygen. The more exercise a muscle gets, the higher the concentration of myoglobin.
Some people are color blind.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

My 13 SEER has no different requirements than the 10 SEER I had previously.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And you are wrong, modern AC equipment NEEDS the best filtration, how else do you get an SEER over 12?  Ain't magic, you need clean air,  PERIOD.  

Yes, cleaning the air to remove other stuff can add value aside from thermodynamic reasons.  Which is why they sell it.  

My 13 SEER has no different requirements than the 10 SEER I had previously.

13 SEER new, without evaporator filtration in the sub micron, it will be SEER 10 in no time.  Filtration is usually an install feature.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Skylanders, Amiibos and Disney Infinity Figures.

Fuck you wallet. At Least Skylanders and Disney Infinity figures do stuff... Amiibos, if you're lucky might add a code for a game.
View Quote

Those guys are geniuses. I hope whoever thought these things up has made a lot of money, I know they have made a lot off of my two boys and their friends.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#9]
$4 cup of coffee
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My father is in the coin op laundry business,  when we switched from Top loader to front we were able to increase profits threw reduction of water usage, the machines hold a higher capacity and use less water. And still clean better..

If your getting them from home depot or best buy, thats your problem. Try getting a speedqueen next time. That machine in a home will out last you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had top-loading washers forever. They worked, but they were boring and you could score one for about $349. But wait! Let's make everyone believe front-loading washer are "Euro" and therefore better. Charge $1,000+ for these POS and make sure they don't last long and leak.

For only $3600/set....that's affordable...
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Those guys are geniuses. I hope whoever thought these things up has made a lot of money, I know they have made a lot off of my two boys and their friends.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Skylanders, Amiibos and Disney Infinity Figures.

Fuck you wallet. At Least Skylanders and Disney Infinity figures do stuff... Amiibos, if you're lucky might add a code for a game.

When we first saw Skylanders back with Spyro's Adventure, I told the wife, "Wife, this is what Nintendo should have been doing with Pokémon. Fuck stickers. Fuck game packs. Legitly have 100+ pokemons available, and you are going to bring in so much more cash."
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The person who convinced women that they should pole dance for fitness. Or maybe the person that convinced women that yoga pants are appropriate daily wear.
View Quote

This person deserves Sainthood
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Crystal Clear Pepsi /thread
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So where can I get the cheap ones?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do marketing departments get you to spend significantly more money on some mundane item that you've bought - cheaply - for many years but now you're happy to spend 10 times more for the same thing. Bottled water is the best example, but too obvious. Several others come to mind quickly but I'll leave those for someone else.

My topic to start with is AC/Furnace filters. Many decades we went along, happily buying spun fiberglass filters for less than a buck each.

http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/386953/file-2080970416-jpg/images_filter_industry_Misc/Filter-Flat.jpg?t=1426171658345

Then, the filter manufacturers got smart. Why should they get $0.88/filter when they can charge $10, $20, even $50 for a single filter? You convince the consumer that the filter actually keeps their house clean and bingo - people now shell out ten times as much for air filters.  I mean, who wouldn't want to have this beauty in their AC/Furnace? "The unique filter construction of Honeywell ALLERGEN PLUS requires less energy for lower energy cost. Its electrostatic charge and larger surface area of pleated material improves the efficiency of its dust-holding capacity. Housed in a recyclable clay-coated moisture resistant frame, this filter captures particles as small as 1 micron. In comparison, a human hair is approximately 150 microns in size. The Honeywell is effective against the following contaminants: microscopic allergens, bacteria, disintegrated feces, insecticide dust, lead dust, mold spores, pollen, pet dander, nuisance dust, and dust mite debris. The leader in the air filtration, Flanders provides air filtration products for pharmaceutical laboratories, the space programs, nuclear containment, and commercial industries."

There's only one slight problem: THESE FILTERS DO NOT FILTER THE AIR FOR YOUR HOUSE. They are supposed to keep contaminants off of your evap coils. That's it. It's actually worse than that: These highly-restrictive filters choke off air flow through your system. I've pulled the cover off of my 20 year old evap coils and they were perfectly clean, even though all I've ever used was spun glass filters.

Go into Wal Mart, Home Depot, etc. and you'll find that you can't even find the cheap filters anymore. Marketing genius!

Ace Hardware.  

Audiophile/videophile equipment in general.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How do marketing departments get you to spend significantly more money on some mundane item that you've bought - cheaply - for many years but now you're happy to spend 10 times more for the same thing. Bottled water is the best example, but too obvious. Several others come to mind quickly but I'll leave those for someone else.

My topic to start with is AC/Furnace filters. Many decades we went along, happily buying spun fiberglass filters for less than a buck each.

http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/386953/file-2080970416-jpg/images_filter_industry_Misc/Filter-Flat.jpg?t=1426171658345

Then, the filter manufacturers got smart. Why should they get $0.88/filter when they can charge $10, $20, even $50 for a single filter? You convince the consumer that the filter actually keeps their house clean and bingo - people now shell out ten times as much for air filters.  I mean, who wouldn't want to have this beauty in their AC/Furnace? "The unique filter construction of Honeywell ALLERGEN PLUS requires less energy for lower energy cost. Its electrostatic charge and larger surface area of pleated material improves the efficiency of its dust-holding capacity. Housed in a recyclable clay-coated moisture resistant frame, this filter captures particles as small as 1 micron. In comparison, a human hair is approximately 150 microns in size. The Honeywell is effective against the following contaminants: microscopic allergens, bacteria, disintegrated feces, insecticide dust, lead dust, mold spores, pollen, pet dander, nuisance dust, and dust mite debris. The leader in the air filtration, Flanders provides air filtration products for pharmaceutical laboratories, the space programs, nuclear containment, and commercial industries."

There's only one slight problem: THESE FILTERS DO NOT FILTER THE AIR FOR YOUR HOUSE. They are supposed to keep contaminants off of your evap coils. That's it. It's actually worse than that: These highly-restrictive filters choke off air flow through your system. I've pulled the cover off of my 20 year old evap coils and they were perfectly clean, even though all I've ever used was spun glass filters.

Go into Wal Mart, Home Depot, etc. and you'll find that you can't even find the cheap filters anymore. Marketing genius!
View Quote

How clean is your duct work?  
What is the pressure drop across your spun glass filter when clean?  Dirty?  What is the pressure drop across the filter described above when clean?  Dirty?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Catholicism.

The consumer version at least
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
"It's got a Hemi"
Modern Dodge heads look nothing like the original hemispherical design  
View Quote

Even more to the point, I read an article a few years ago that the Hemi only cost Dodge a few hundred dollars more than a non-hemi engine but they were able to sell it for $10K more at the time.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Wings are popular because people like them, not because of marketing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Keep on believing that.  I remember when no one intentionally sought them out to eat.

Can you remember that time?  No?  You grew up with them?  Congratulations, you're a victim of a successful marketing campaign.

Sorry about that.  

Quoted:

In reality, chicken wings, like the breast, are white meat. The difference between white and dark meat is attributed to the amount of myoglobin in the muscles. Myoglobin is stored in muscles that get exercise, because they need more oxygen. The more exercise a muscle gets, the higher the concentration of myoglobin.

Bullshit.  Everything I've ever read in nearly 45 years describes them as dark meat.  Some people just like to argue, I guess.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#20]
That Glock triggers are "good."
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Budweiser, Bud Light, Miller Lite, et al.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#22]
The Sturgis motorcycle rally
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Carbon Credits to fight AGW.

K&N air filters.

inflating tires with pure nitrogen.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Keep on believing that.  I remember when no one intentionally sought them out to eat.

Can you remember that time?  No?  You grew up with them?  Congratulations, you're a victim of a successful marketing campaign.

Sorry about that.  

Bullshit.  Everything I've ever read in nearly 45 years describes them as dark meat.  Some people just like to argue, I guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry about that.  

Quoted:

You are wrong on all counts.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ace Hardware.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ace Hardware.  

Thanks man!
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ace Hardware.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ace Hardware.  

Thanks man!
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Diamonds, far & away the most successful advertising in history. You need a diamond engagement ring, or it doesn't count! Meaning, fuck all those other stones that have more colours and better sparkle - buy a diamond and our company wins! Not to mention that engagement rings weren't even all that common, regardless of stone used, until DeBeers decided to convince us all that proposals without diamonds are meaningless. And how much should a young man pay for his beloved's diamond ring? DeBeers decided that most middle class consumers could part with a couple months' salary, which they could, can, and do.

"A diamond is forever." Meaning, don't sell your diamonds because A) we want you to think diamonds are full of emotional meaning and we want you to buy more of our diamonds, and B) you'll learn that their re-sale value is crap, because they're not actually rare - they're among the most common gemstones in the world. Plus we wouldn't want you to flood the market with diamonds, the amounts of which are controlled by DeBeers. Where did the design for eternity bands come from? From the late Forties, when Siberia was found to have diamonds that were all on the small side. DeBeers wangled their way into controlling where these diamonds went, and found a way to sell - get this - a bunch of small, Russian diamonds to flag-loving, Commie-hating Americans. Suddenly small diamonds, which weren't particularly saleable prior to this, had a gigantic market because eternity rings mean your love is endless, and they are pretty. I mean, wow. DeBeers blows every other single advertising campaign out of the water.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

On sale they are worth the money. I was a hater until my wife got me a few pieces.
If you hit the sale racks at Academy regularly you can get some deals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Under Armour

On sale they are worth the money. I was a hater until my wife got me a few pieces.
If you hit the sale racks at Academy regularly you can get some deals.

Under Armor shoes are worth the extra money.

I pretty much buy a pair, and wear them everyday till they wear out. They have held up far better than many of the other comparably priced shoes I've tried.

And they're comfortable, and the sizing is consistent enough throughout thier brand that I can order online.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Diamonds

Not exactly on point to your question, but for the thread title, this is the greatest of all time
View Quote

QFT.  amazing article that i read about this topic, from The Atlantic, written in 1982:

The Diamond Invention

just the first few paragraphs are pretty eye opening.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Harley Davidson
View Quote

I was surprised it took so long.

I came here to post this.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Vaccines.
View Quote

Word.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I think we're the only two people in America.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bone-in chicken wings.

I thought I was the only one who hates that shit

I think we're the only two people in America.

I third that motion.  Pet food at best.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Most costly, definitely diamonds.

Txl
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
300Blackout.

No actual money spent By AAC/ freedom group in its first several years after introduction to advertise it(contrary to bogus and made up claims of a million dollar advertising campaign)

And yet it has become one of the most popular alternative AR15 calibers
View Quote

There's a lot more truth to that than many are willing to admit.

5.56 is better for most jobs. .300blk only makes sense with subsonic loads and a can.

Most of the people I know playing with .300blk don't own any cans.

But "Blackout" sounds cool, and the bullet is bigger, so that must make it better, right? LOL.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Diamonds, far & away the most successful advertising in history. You need a diamond engagement ring, or it doesn't count! Meaning, fuck all those other stones that have more colours and better sparkle - buy a diamond and our company wins! Not to mention that engagement rings weren't even all that common, regardless of stone used, until DeBeers decided to convince us all that proposals without diamonds are meaningless. And how much should a young man pay for his beloved's diamond ring? DeBeers decided that most middle class consumers could part with a couple months' salary, which they could, can, and do.

"A diamond is forever." Meaning, don't sell your diamonds because A) we want you to think diamonds are full of emotional meaning and we want you to buy more of our diamonds, and B) you'll learn that their re-sale value is crap, because they're not actually rare - they're among the most common gemstones in the world. Plus we wouldn't want you to flood the market with diamonds, the amounts of which are controlled by DeBeers. Where did the design for eternity bands come from? From the late Forties, when Siberia was found to have diamonds that were all on the small side. DeBeers wangled their way into controlling where these diamonds went, and found a way to sell - get this - a bunch of small, Russian diamonds to flag-loving, Commie-hating Americans. Suddenly small diamonds, which weren't particularly saleable prior to this, had a gigantic market because eternity rings mean your love is endless, and they are pretty. I mean, wow. DeBeers blows every other single advertising campaign out of the water.
View Quote

It started as two weeks' salary, then it was a month, now two months. That history has been erased
in a way that would make Stalin envious.

FWIW, my wife's ring cost much less than a week's salary for me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get what you pay for, like with everything else.

last machines you will ever buy...
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

LAPG "Gamblers mystery bags"
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm using a sub-$500 top-loader that was purchased in the '90s. It's needed one $5 repair, and I'm pretty confident in my ability to service it myself if there are any other problems.

My water bill is low, it handles bachelor-sized piles of laundry, and I can leave the lid up to let soiled clothing soak.

There's no way in hell I'm spending $1,900 on a washing machine.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Add me to the list.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bone-in chicken wings.

Add me to the list.

Same here.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The person who convinced women that they should pole dance for fitness. Or maybe the person that convinced women that yoga pants are appropriate daily wear.
View Quote

How are those bad things?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Flowers for the ladies.

Roses in particular. guys will pay $50 for some smelly plants that get thrown away in a few days.

Christmas is another. Not the religious holiday, the marketing holiday.

And while we are at it, that fake made up holiday Valentines Day............hahahahha, what a bunch of saps.

<-----------happily married for 12 years, my wife and I have NEVER participated in any of that crap above.
View Quote

I bought my wife a small rose plant from 1800flowers for our first married V-Day...she planted it outside and took cuttings whenever we moved, so she still has it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bone-in chicken wings.

When I was a kid we fed that chit to our cat.  I still can't eat a friggin' chicken wing.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hate to tell you this but I have repaired quite a few Speed Queens over the years. Good machines but sooner or later, they all break. The difference is in WHAT breaks and the cost to repair it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Wall to wall carpeting.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Keurig coffee makers. Went from making coffee for about $.15/cup to $1.59/cup. Wife had to have one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#49]
I have had about 3 different residential HVAC guys tell me to NOT buy the expensive filters.  They clog and then make your system work harder, causing premature wear.

Top load washers are going away because they can't meet efficiency demands.  They use too much water.  Also, the agitators wear out your clothes.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vaccines.

Yes, polio and TB made life much more interesting. Bring out your dead, bring out your dead!
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top