Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The sensor that auto-flushes the toilet.  Whoever invented that is a fucking genius.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No, they're not.  They're tiny little bits of dark meat loaded down with veins and sinews, soaked in sauce.    Congratulations on being taken in by the marketing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bone-in chicken wings.

I refuse to eat them, they're STILL nasty shitty dark meat, veiny and gross.

I thought I was the only one who hates that shit

I think we're the only two people in America.

Congrats, now take your new romance and get out.  Wings are awesome.

No, they're not.  They're tiny little bits of dark meat loaded down with veins and sinews, soaked in sauce.    Congratulations on being taken in by the marketing.

I wasn't taken in by anything and I don't ever remember wings being "marketed" to me.  They were a menu item.  I ate them and I loved them.

Now, we have to talk price.  I'm from Upstate NY.  I can remember wings being .05-.10.  Hell, lots of bars used to give them away on certain nights to sell more beer.  Now that's marketing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bone-in chicken wings.

Wings are popular because people like them, not because of marketing.

I don't think anything can touch diamonds.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The need for a 4 year degree...
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Israel .....................
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How do marketing departments get you to spend significantly more money on some mundane item that you've bought - cheaply - for many years but now you're happy to spend 10 times more for the same thing. Bottled water is the best example, but too obvious. Several others come to mind quickly but I'll leave those for someone else.

My topic to start with is AC/Furnace filters. Many decades we went along, happily buying spun fiberglass filters for less than a buck each.

http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/386953/file-2080970416-jpg/images_filter_industry_Misc/Filter-Flat.jpg?t=1426171658345

Then, the filter manufacturers got smart. Why should they get $0.88/filter when they can charge $10, $20, even $50 for a single filter? You convince the consumer that the filter actually keeps their house clean and bingo - people now shell out ten times as much for air filters.  I mean, who wouldn't want to have this beauty in their AC/Furnace? "The unique filter construction of Honeywell ALLERGEN PLUS requires less energy for lower energy cost. Its electrostatic charge and larger surface area of pleated material improves the efficiency of its dust-holding capacity. Housed in a recyclable clay-coated moisture resistant frame, this filter captures particles as small as 1 micron. In comparison, a human hair is approximately 150 microns in size. The Honeywell is effective against the following contaminants: microscopic allergens, bacteria, disintegrated feces, insecticide dust, lead dust, mold spores, pollen, pet dander, nuisance dust, and dust mite debris. The leader in the air filtration, Flanders provides air filtration products for pharmaceutical laboratories, the space programs, nuclear containment, and commercial industries."

There's only one slight problem: THESE FILTERS DO NOT FILTER THE AIR FOR YOUR HOUSE. They are supposed to keep contaminants off of your evap coils. That's it. It's actually worse than that: These highly-restrictive filters choke off air flow through your system. I've pulled the cover off of my 20 year old evap coils and they were perfectly clean, even though all I've ever used was spun glass filters.

Go into Wal Mart, Home Depot, etc. and you'll find that you can't even find the cheap filters anymore. Marketing genius!
View Quote

And the real genius is in the way it is written. Nowhere in that blurb do they say that these filters will filter the air for your home, not once. They imply it but they don't specifically state that it filters the air for the home, they don't say it is only for the evap coils. So, without them saying it, the consumer is lead to believe that it does filter the air in the home and based on their own perception they buy the more expensive filter, but legally the filter manufacturer has not mislead anyone because they don't claim it filters the air for the house.

They bombard the average Joe shopper with all the technical stuff, even mention it helps against disintegrated feces and tell the buyer what it is made out of and appeal to the environmentally conscience with the recyclable clay frame and all this cool stuff about it being used in NASA and nuclear facilities and this may be true and is very impressive, so the buyer gets to read about how good it is, how many important places use it but they never tell you it does nothing for the air inside your house that you breath.  Very clever.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Bottled water.

eta: i was beat so im going to think of something else.
View Quote

You were beat by the OP as it is in his post
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:12:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Razors.

DE were fine, but too cheap.

Make the whole thing disposable or even better, add un-needed blades.  

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Kids' sports.

Now little Jimmy has to play travel ball to play HS ball so he can go to a community college after all that useless ball playing and no studying.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Diamonds
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:17:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
2008 presidential election
View Quote

And the 2012 election.  More of the same only worse.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Hooters.  the food is sub par at best, if it wasn't for the tight clothes that place would have good bankrupt years ago.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bone-in chicken in general is gross.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bone-in chicken wings.

Add me to the list.

Bone-in chicken in general is gross.

I understand the wings deal because they were literally scraps that were thrown away (couldn't be sold) back in the day, but whole/half chicken?   Half a chicken, a grill and a brick and its on.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Most of the things we consider "Pop" culture are nothing but marketing fads. Hell.. all of American Life today is marketing driven.

Many of the albums playing on the radio are shit backed with marketing.
Your $5 a cup coffee, marketing BS.
That Axe spray that covers your BO is BS.
The $60,000 Car/Truck you drive doesn't make you attractive, its BS.
The $800K McMansion doesn't make you a god either.  BS.
Your vitamin water and organic soy burger with a side of pomegranate?  BS...

All marketing BS.

Thats why you need to take my course, "How to not be marketed to". After the free webinar, you can sign up for just $9,999.97.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Oldest name in American firearms

Made in Croatia (or Brazil, Greece, Korea)
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And the real genius is in the way it is written. Nowhere in that blurb do they say that these filters will filter the air for your home, not once. They imply it but they don't specifically state that it filters the air for the home, they don't say it is only for the evap coils. So, without them saying it, the consumer is lead to believe that it does filter the air in the home and based on their own perception they buy the more expensive filter, but legally the filter manufacturer has not mislead anyone because they don't claim it filters the air for the house.

They bombard the average Joe shopper with all the technical stuff, even mention it helps against disintegrated feces and tell the buyer what it is made out of and appeal to the environmentally conscience with the recyclable clay frame and all this cool stuff about it being used in NASA and nuclear facilities and this may be true and is very impressive, so the buyer gets to read about how good it is, how many important places use it but they never tell you it does nothing for the air inside your house that you breath.  Very clever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do marketing departments get you to spend significantly more money on some mundane item that you've bought - cheaply - for many years but now you're happy to spend 10 times more for the same thing. Bottled water is the best example, but too obvious. Several others come to mind quickly but I'll leave those for someone else.

My topic to start with is AC/Furnace filters. Many decades we went along, happily buying spun fiberglass filters for less than a buck each.

http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/386953/file-2080970416-jpg/images_filter_industry_Misc/Filter-Flat.jpg?t=1426171658345

Then, the filter manufacturers got smart. Why should they get $0.88/filter when they can charge $10, $20, even $50 for a single filter? You convince the consumer that the filter actually keeps their house clean and bingo - people now shell out ten times as much for air filters.  I mean, who wouldn't want to have this beauty in their AC/Furnace? "The unique filter construction of Honeywell ALLERGEN PLUS requires less energy for lower energy cost. Its electrostatic charge and larger surface area of pleated material improves the efficiency of its dust-holding capacity. Housed in a recyclable clay-coated moisture resistant frame, this filter captures particles as small as 1 micron. In comparison, a human hair is approximately 150 microns in size. The Honeywell is effective against the following contaminants: microscopic allergens, bacteria, disintegrated feces, insecticide dust, lead dust, mold spores, pollen, pet dander, nuisance dust, and dust mite debris. The leader in the air filtration, Flanders provides air filtration products for pharmaceutical laboratories, the space programs, nuclear containment, and commercial industries."

There's only one slight problem: THESE FILTERS DO NOT FILTER THE AIR FOR YOUR HOUSE. They are supposed to keep contaminants off of your evap coils. That's it. It's actually worse than that: These highly-restrictive filters choke off air flow through your system. I've pulled the cover off of my 20 year old evap coils and they were perfectly clean, even though all I've ever used was spun glass filters.

Go into Wal Mart, Home Depot, etc. and you'll find that you can't even find the cheap filters anymore. Marketing genius!

My AC/furnace filters are the first thing air comes into contact with as it enters the unit from the return air duct.  This same air is then heated or cooled, and pushed by the fan through the outlet ducts into the house.  The filters absolutely filter the air circulating in the house.

ETA: I still use the cheapies, though.  I live on a dirt road and they get crudded up quick.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Sun glasses like Oakleys and Maui Jims.  Sure they're good, but how much does it take to make a set?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Corona
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Most of the things we consider "Pop" culture are nothing but marketing fads. Hell.. all of American Life today is marketing driven.

Many of the albums playing on the radio are shit backed with marketing.
Your $5 a cup coffee, marketing BS.
That Axe spray that covers your BO is BS.
The $60,000 Car/Truck you drive doesn't make you attractive, its BS.
The $800K McMansion doesn't make you a god either.  BS.
Your vitamin water and organic soy burger with a side of pomegranate?  BS...

All marketing BS.

Thats why you need to take my course, "How to not be marketed to". After the free webinar, you can sign up for just $9,999.97.  
View Quote

$5 Coffee - Yup, BS
Body spray - Covering my BO helps me get laid (girls like good smelling guys), excellent value
$60k vehicle - Girls love sexy cars, so it goes make some more attractive, just because we don't like it doesn't make it untrue
$800k home - Works the same as the car...panty dropper
Healthy food - Debatable, I feel better eating cleaner food
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Razors.
DE were fine, but too cheap.
Make the whole thing disposable or even better, add un-needed blades.  
View Quote

If you dry them well each time, they will last a long time.  Funny how they don't put those instructions on the razor box.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Old Spice.  They took a company associated with your grandpa, and made it the post popular brand of men's hygiene products.
View Quote

I am on a horse!
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where do I sign up?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I didn't read the entire thread, but my vote goes to all the 100$+ pairs of basketball shoes that are marketed to the urban youths of the world.  So good, you have to rob and kill to get them sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

[/span]
View Quote

I bought one expensive high micron filter... it clogged up in a week or two
I keep a clean house and the $1 filters dont even look dirty after 2 months even

so I dont know where I stand
I would argue that they are filtering more crap out of my house
but at the cost of possibly harming the HVAC system

I bought a standalone system afterwards though so i "got both"
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Under Armour

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Chocolate diamonds
View Quote

I have tons of chocolate diamonds... on the blades I cut asphalt and concrete with.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Monster cables
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
pet rock.
View Quote

This its a rock and people paid good money for it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
pet rock.

Just like diamonds.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:58:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bone-in chicken wings.

I was never taken in by the marketing. I was eating them when they were sold for 5 cents each at the bars because I like them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#37]
... Seriously: Prescription eyeglasses

They were much, much cheaper to aquire as a young adult.

WTF happened?

That, and inexpensive cars that regularly got 52+ MPG
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Pretty much everything in the golf industry, year over year.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
One more: FRONT LOADING WASHERS.

We had top-loading washers forever. They worked, but they were boring and you could score one for about $349. But wait! Let's make everyone believe front-loading washer are "Euro" and therefore better. Charge $1,000+ for these POS and make sure they don't last long and leak.
View Quote

Totally with you on this one.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I buy the spun glass ones off Grainger all the time for work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I buy the spun glass ones off Grainger all the time for work.

And they're about a buck at the farm supply store.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#42]
The person who convinced women that they should pole dance for fitness. Or maybe the person that convinced women that yoga pants are appropriate daily wear.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#43]
The Federal Government.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
One more: FRONT LOADING WASHERS.

We had top-loading washers forever. They worked, but they were boring and you could score one for about $349. But wait! Let's make everyone believe front-loading washer are "Euro" and therefore better. Charge $1,000+ for these POS and make sure they don't last long and leak.
View Quote

lol yeah they are euro though.

in Germany the kitchen was the laundry room in the older houses.

I'm going to say

Bacon

its good but its not worth the hype.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Marriage.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Nitrogen filled tires

And diamonds
View Quote

Diamond filled tires on a Harley - Davidson
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Those heavily marketed electric heaters in fancy cabinets that sell for $300 and are identical to a $50 basic  electric heater inside. Operates for only pennies a day!
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Diamond engagement rings.

[/thread]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Greenland
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Some of the large multi level marketing companies, there are several that reached over a billion dollars, Mona Vie being one of them.  Take some berry and make a drink out of it.... MARKET the crap out of it = profit.  A guy around the corner from me has made over 20M dollars with them.  Its all marketing and hype.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top