BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The money I saved all my working life and invested is now giving me $150k a year in retirement.    

Tell me more about how I am losing money.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

While having an emergency reserve is a must...saving money is idiotic with such low interest rates and highish inflation. You are LOSING money.

The money I saved all my working life and invested is now giving me $150k a year in retirement.    

Tell me more about how I am losing money.

All available interest rates on savings are less than real inflation. Simple math.

Also...Savings are not investments. Investments are not savings.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Actually the value of the dollar has increased dramatically in the last 9 months.  

Meanwhile I live way below my means so I can save.  I live on about 22% of my gross.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's money good for? Worth less every day.
Actually the value of the dollar has increased dramatically in the last 9 months.  

Meanwhile I live way below my means so I can save.  I live on about 22% of my gross.

Unless you are saving the money for your children I don't agree with living way below your means. It is obviously important to save but that being said I believe you should enjoy life while you are healthy enough to really enjoy it.

For me this means instead of getting a new sportscar I will happily settle for something around 5 years old making it much more affordable.  Instead of shooting 338 lapua I shoot 308.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well if you put money in the bank then later need.....$5K for a used pick-up or car the banks are encouraged to call 911 on your ass.

Here again we see the doctrine on unintended consequences kicking in. As with guns so it goes with money. The more the .gov tries to control it the less people have in the bank....either from a general shit economy or people no longer trusting their financial institutions.

Personally I think people who have lots of money in the bank will come to regret it one day when our government kleptocracy goes full Cyprus on their ass.
View Quote

QFMFT
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Come on man....probably die way too early to retire.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
While having an emergency reserve is a must...saving money is idiotic with such low interest rates and highish inflation. You are LOSING money.

... absurd.

What do you plan on live on once too old to work?

I think he meant shoving it into a mattress...
Come on man....probably die way too early to retire.

i encouraged my ex wife to get a 401k going at work... her reasoning for not doing it?

i might not live to be old enough to use one later in life.... might as well enjoy it now.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Americans not saving money = current or future democratic voters.  Because, you know, the government will take from others and give to us because we haven't planned for the future.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't been saving everything I could lately... been too busy enjoying life on my days off going places and doing things. It's kind of nice to just be able to pick a place or an activity and go there/do it without months of planning or scrimping dimes and quarters together from a dead ass paycheck.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There's a big element of this. 50% of the country is the bottom half of earners, folks. Not to mention, since 2008 the middle class beating has gotten worse. Jobs are paying less, hours are being reduced, but everything is costing more...fuck the fraudulent CPI. Food, energy, consumables, not getting any cheaper. Medical plans? Yeah....

I can't ridicule the people who just don't have it to save. They are the bulk of that figure, I'm sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You need to have money to save for this whole idea to work.

There's a big element of this. 50% of the country is the bottom half of earners, folks. Not to mention, since 2008 the middle class beating has gotten worse. Jobs are paying less, hours are being reduced, but everything is costing more...fuck the fraudulent CPI. Food, energy, consumables, not getting any cheaper. Medical plans? Yeah....

I can't ridicule the people who just don't have it to save. They are the bulk of that figure, I'm sure.

I'm sure that's part of it.  But the number of people who just don't seem interested in saving seems disturbingly high to me.  

Looking around my own mostly middle class neighborhood, the number of houses with multiple 3 years old or newer cars, satellite dishes, boats, motorcycles, etc is staggeringly high.  I wonder how many of those people have even 3 months of expenses on hand in savings.  I suspect few...and it's not because they don't make enough to save.  

My wife and I didn't have cable for multiple years while she was in school.  I'm still driving a close to 20 year old car with high miles on it, we just replaced her old high mileage car with a slightly new used car this year, etc.  We have 9 months of expenses in savings right now, and have always had at least 3 months in savings on hand....but only because having savings was a priority for us.  It just doesn't seem to be for a lot of people around here with similar incomes to ours.

I know it's anecdotal, but I doubt my neighborhood is unique in that regard.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
https://www.sec.gov/rss/ask_investor_ed/saveinvest.htm
Q:  What are the differences between saving and investing?

A:  Your "savings" are usually put into the safestplaces or products that allow you access to your money at any time. Examplesinclude savings accounts, checking accounts, and certificates of deposit. Atsome banks and savings and loan associations your deposits may be insured bythe Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC). But there's a tradeoff for thesecurity and ready availability of these savings methods: your money is paid alow wage as it works for you.

When you "invest," you have a greater chance oflosing your money than when you "save." Unlike FDIC-insured deposits,the money you invest in securities, mutual funds, and other similar investmentsis not federally insured. You could lose your "principal," which isthe amount you've invested. That’s true even if you purchase your investmentsthrough a bank. But when you invest, you also have the opportunity to earn moremoney than when you save.  There is a tradeoff between the higher risk ofinvesting and the potential for greater rewards.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/financial-education/investing/difference-between-saving-and-investing/
Saving and investing are not the same thing — though people sometimes use those words interchangeably.

Over half of Arfcom doesn't know basic personal finance.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

... absurd.

Investments.

There seems to be a problem with semantics here.  Saving money and investing is the same thing.  You are just converting fiat currency into stocks, real estate and rental property.   Of course you do need Plan B for when the whole house of cards collapses.  That is where your investments into brass, copper and lead come into play.
https://www.sec.gov/rss/ask_investor_ed/saveinvest.htm
Q:  What are the differences between saving and investing?

A:  Your "savings" are usually put into the safestplaces or products that allow you access to your money at any time. Examplesinclude savings accounts, checking accounts, and certificates of deposit. Atsome banks and savings and loan associations your deposits may be insured bythe Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC). But there's a tradeoff for thesecurity and ready availability of these savings methods: your money is paid alow wage as it works for you.

When you "invest," you have a greater chance oflosing your money than when you "save." Unlike FDIC-insured deposits,the money you invest in securities, mutual funds, and other similar investmentsis not federally insured. You could lose your "principal," which isthe amount you've invested. That’s true even if you purchase your investmentsthrough a bank. But when you invest, you also have the opportunity to earn moremoney than when you save.  There is a tradeoff between the higher risk ofinvesting and the potential for greater rewards.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/financial-education/investing/difference-between-saving-and-investing/
Saving and investing are not the same thing — though people sometimes use those words interchangeably.

Over half of Arfcom doesn't know basic personal finance.

Proven everyday.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm sure that's part of it.  But the number of people who just don't seem interested in saving seems disturbingly high to me.  

Looking around my own mostly middle class neighborhood, the number of houses with multiple 3 years old or newer cars, satellite dishes, boats, motorcycles, etc is staggeringly high.  I wonder how many of those people have even 3 months of expenses on hand in savings.  I suspect few...and it's not because they don't make enough to save.  

My wife and I didn't have cable for multiple years while she was in school.  I'm still driving a close to 20 year old car with high miles on it, we just replaced her old high mileage car with a slightly new used car this year, etc.  We have 9 months of expenses in savings right now, and have always had at least 3 months in savings on hand....but only because having savings was a priority for us.  It just doesn't seem to be for a lot of people around here with similar incomes to ours.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i would guess the majority of the people you see with new cars and boats and motorcycles can barely make their monthly payments beyond a month let a lone 3 months.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i would guess the majority of the people you see with new cars and boats and motorcycles can barely make their monthly payments beyond a month let a lone 3 months.
View Quote

It's possible they're doing well and could make the payments on everything for a year if they lost their job.....but I doubt it.

And before anyone gets all huffy, I'm not saying you shouldn't have a nice new truck if you can afford it....but having a truck payment and nothing in savings is baffling behavior to me.  

I blame my grandparents who lived through the Great Depression/Dust Bowl in the panhandle.  They have some very specific ideas about money and goods that have been passed down.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Can't take it with you when ya go!
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Investments are important, 6 months of cash in a savings is a good idea, but not more.  The rest goes into investments like property, IRA, 401k and stocks/bonds.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't disagree with this assessment, but it's folly to not recognize that some measure of inflation (and beyond) has changed the cost of living and savings landscape. For instance, the average household income in 1950 was $3,300, average price of a car was $1,510, and the median price of a home was $7,354. This produces a home price/income ratio of 2.2, and car price/income ratio of 0.45. In 2014, the average household income was $51,017, average price of a car was $31,252, and the median price of a home was $188,900.This produces a home price/income ratio of 3.7, and car price/income ratio of 0.61. Using the same methodology, college tuition was a ratio (income to tuition) of 0.18 in 1950 to 0.79 in 2014. Lets also not forget that the "official" measure of inflation was changed (as I recall around 1980) so that the current methodology used today produces a much lower inflation rate than how it was calculated pre 1980. Simply put, less dollars are available for savings for those who don't have income that produces substantial discretionary income to start with.

Data source
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As I said before many people live way beyond their means. Everyone wants "it" now and doesn't want to save the few dollars from each paycheck to do so but rather max out their spending on their paycheck to do so. In addition how many people would rather have "fun" instead of paying their bills first.
I don't disagree with this assessment, but it's folly to not recognize that some measure of inflation (and beyond) has changed the cost of living and savings landscape. For instance, the average household income in 1950 was $3,300, average price of a car was $1,510, and the median price of a home was $7,354. This produces a home price/income ratio of 2.2, and car price/income ratio of 0.45. In 2014, the average household income was $51,017, average price of a car was $31,252, and the median price of a home was $188,900.This produces a home price/income ratio of 3.7, and car price/income ratio of 0.61. Using the same methodology, college tuition was a ratio (income to tuition) of 0.18 in 1950 to 0.79 in 2014. Lets also not forget that the "official" measure of inflation was changed (as I recall around 1980) so that the current methodology used today produces a much lower inflation rate than how it was calculated pre 1980. Simply put, less dollars are available for savings for those who don't have income that produces substantial discretionary income to start with.

Data source

Sorry for my late reply

While yes inflation has gone up 2 factors still remain constant. 1.) convenience has gone up as well 2.) my generation and younger cannot use inflation as an excuse.

If we are comparing to the 1950s in true honest how was the convenience factor. Fast food didn't exist (it kinda did but not the magnitude of today), frozen entrees nope, pre made items few and far between. My main point the biggest loss of money is when you are paying for convenience. How many of your co-workers buys lunch instead of makes? im betting quite a bit. People are always paying a higher premium good just because of convenience. Yet are the same people who wonder where their money went.

SO when people use the excuse I can save if pretty folly as well. (sure the kid working 10 hrs a week working at walmart probably cant save but what is he doing to better his financial situation?)
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't understand this mentality.  So even if you make enough money to support a decent standard of living you should live like a homeless bum?

What's the point of going to college, working hard and advancing your career?  Why not just be a homeless bum and forget all that job stuff?

There's a difference between living above your means and enjoying the fruit of your labors.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am absolutely convinced that at least half of the people who claim that they 'don't have anything to save' are full of shit and just crappy at managing their money. If you're a part timer making minimum wage...ok, you prolly don't have any $ (unless you live in mom/dad's basement)....but most people do. Look at it this way. EVERYONE on this list can afford to save more:

1. smokers / tobacco chewers
2. anyone eating at a restaurant
3. anyone drinking anything but water/milk/juice (I'm looking at you Starbucks / Crack Brothers drinkers!)
4. anyone on vacation
5. anyone buying clothes in for-profit stores
6. anyone with a cell phone
7. anyone with internet
8. anyone taking any kind of illegal/recreational drugs
9. anyone that buys food at work instead of brown bagging it
10. anyone at a concert / movie / play
11. anyone buying expensive garbage (chips, cookies, TV diners etc.) for food

I could go on, but most get the point I'm sure. Think about how many 'financial losers' you know who do some/all of these things. They DO have money to save, they simply choose to piss it away instead. I don't feel sorry for them, not one bit. People are free to live how they choose...and it's no skin off my back...but don't tell me that there isn't anything to save while you drive your recent car to star bucks while talking on your GD iPhone.

I don't understand this mentality.  So even if you make enough money to support a decent standard of living you should live like a homeless bum?

What's the point of going to college, working hard and advancing your career?  Why not just be a homeless bum and forget all that job stuff?

There's a difference between living above your means and enjoying the fruit of your labors.

I don't think you understand the mentality on it either

Many people who complain about not having money are the same people who would rather spend on these items instead of paying off bills and/or loans.

Enjoying the fruits of your labor doesn't mean to spend money you don't have.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Among the simple changes I've made: taking lunch to work daily (sandwich / fruit or leftovers) and doing almost all of my grocery shopping at Aldi. If you figure you spend $7-10 on lunch out a day,  that's $200 a month just for lunches out. My grocery bill has dropped by at least $10 a week,  if not more by shopping at Aldi.

There are lots of adjustments people can do to their budget to save, but people say their too busy,  can't be bothered,  etc.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#16]
It's one thing to save money by not spending it.  It's another to save it by knowing how to preserve your purchase power.   Finally, the issue of knowing how to make it work for you (invest).  The Richest Man in Bablyon is well worth the four hours or so on YouTube.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
in all seriousness, whats the point of saving money, when the system is set up for a crash? that money won't be worth the paper its printed on. Better to have ownership of your items and not be held liable to anyone, instead of having a bunch of worthless paper

and i have savings
View Quote

Saving money ain't about having actual federal reserve notes and being tied to the dollar.  It's about increasing your theoretical net worth so that you have assets at your disposal instead of just your time and your talents.

Almost everything of significance is a paper asset.  You think about this in terms of stocks, bonds and savings but even your land, your house, and your car are paper assets.  You may be able to go out and touch them but ultimately the thing that makes them yours short of a willingness to die in a hail of gunfire is a piece of paper that says they are yours.

So what ownership of items do you exactly have in mind?  You can only have so much beans, bullets, and bullion to the point that housing them, insuring them and protecting them becomes a job in and of itself.  If you think about what it would really take to have a retirement's (or nest egg, or fuck you money, whatever you call) worth of value in gold you are talking over 50 lbs.  Are you really going to be able to sleep at night with 50 lbs of gold in your basement presuming that's the entirety of your life's work?

I'm going to throw it out right now that there are plenty of 60+ year olds, probably including members of this forum, who have been through times like this, had thoughts like you, and severely regret buying into your notion.  

Ask yourself this question:  If you had to be proven wrong about one thing or another a few decades down the road, which would it be?  Would you rather save your whole life and then watch shit collapse or not save your whole life and watch the world continue to turn?  If the system collapses, it doesn't matter if you saved or not.  If the system DOESN'T collapse, there's really only one way where this works out for you in old age.  There really is only one logical course of action here.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:31:27 PM EDT
[#18]
My investing is encouraging my in laws to continue their lifelong love to chain smoke and drink heavily.  That's a good half mil right there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
i encouraged my ex wife to get a 401k going at work... her reasoning for not doing it?

i might not live to be old enough to use one later in life.... might as well enjoy it now.
View Quote

That answer always cracks me up.  So what if you die with a bunch of money?  The worst that can happen is that you improve the lives of your heirs.  How terrible to see your children have a shot at owning a home earlier in life than usual or paying off student loan debt early!  The horror!

On the flip side, the worst that can happen if you do manage to survive your useful working life is now you are an impoverished senior.  I can handle being young and broke but being old and broke is scary as shit.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Can't take it with you when ya go!
View Quote

So why not take it from others while you're here
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Among the simple changes I've made: taking lunch to work daily (sandwich / fruit or leftovers) and doing almost all of my grocery shopping at Aldi. If you figure you spend $7-10 on lunch out a day,  that's $200 a month just for lunches out. My grocery bill has dropped by at least $10 a week,  if not more by shopping at Aldi.

There are lots of adjustments people can do to their budget to save, but people say their too busy,  can't be bothered,  etc.

View Quote

Yep. In my experience, many of the people I know who "have families and can't afford to save" have a freaking smart phone for both parents and two or three kids, cable/satellite TV, EXTREMELY high speed internet, netflix, hulu plus, spotify premium, new cars, stockpiles of trinkets, eat out almost daily if not daily, etc.

Of course, then there are also some legit reasons such as medical bills which are out of control nowadays, but they'll sit there and talk about their medical bills and possibly even declare bankruptcy, but they still keep everything in the above categories and when it comes to saving for the future or retirement it's all "ain't got no time fo dat!"
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bought a motorcycle to save money (and I have a car)...and other reasons too :).  Cheaper to operate and saves mileage on my more expensive car.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
each citizen's share of the national debt is $56,690.45.
View Quote

I'd write them a check today for the full amount for my family's share if we never had to pay federal tax again.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's one thing to save money by not spending it.  It's another to save it by knowing how to preserve your purchase power.   Finally, the issue of knowing how to make it work for you (invest).  The Richest Man in Bablyon is well worth the four hours or so on YouTube.
View Quote

It was an interesting read. I really liked the pay yourself first part.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yep. In my experience, many of the people I know who "have families and can't afford to save" have a freaking smart phone for both parents and two or three kids, cable/satellite TV, EXTREMELY high speed internet, netflix, hulu plus, spotify premium, new cars, stockpiles of trinkets, eat out almost daily if not daily, etc.

Of course, then there are also some legit reasons such as medical bills which are out of control nowadays, but they'll sit there and talk about their medical bills and possibly even declare bankruptcy, but they still keep everything in the above categories and when it comes to saving for the future or retirement it's all "ain't got no time fo dat!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With the new ACA Laws regarding having to have insurance they laws for bankruptcy dealing with medical bill debt should be relaxed greatly.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Americans have never been good at saving.

We're coming out of the worst recession in decades.  Not a lot of savings left with some folks.

With banks paying maybe a quarter of a percent on interest, there's no motivation to save.

Historically a lot of American "savings" have been in home equity, not bank accounts.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We're coming out of the worst recession in decades.  Not a lot of savings left with some folks.

With banks paying maybe a quarter of a percent on interest, there's no motivation to save.

Historically a lot of American "savings" have been in home equity, not bank accounts.
View Quote

I would have to argue more Pre FHA 3.5% down loans than before.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Average, less than a month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder how many months the average household could survive if they lost their job(s)?

Average, less than a month.

Yep.  So many people live paycheck to paycheck that the loss of a job would mean next month's rent/mortgage is not getting paid.

I remember when I did that.  Even thinking about it gives me palpitations these days.  I sleep so much better knowing I have at least some buffer against life.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/m-i-r.gif

Nice!

I invested some money yesterday and bump
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

While this is true there is other was to save than just putting money into the bank. People need to think diversity and to think in a semi "prepper" mind set.

If it comes to saving money people should look at a short term saving more vs a long term. I cant tell you how many times ive seen on here or with friends the "I need the item now" and waste their entire paycheck (sure some items are time sensitive but I am not referring to this situation) then a bill comes up and either sell or pawn another item to pay off that bill. I rarely see people taking a portion of their paycheck short term save it ( I like taking the money out of the account because I wont spend it) and wait until they have enough to get said item

When it comes diversity and your looking it as investment even the simplest things can help from food to guns to precious metals. When it comes to food a majority of people will buy an item on sale not multiple to prepare for the future but buy that same item when not on sale simply wasting money (sure it doesn't work for every food item but with 95%) if you break down the pricing you can see the savings. Right now black guns are at a low right now and we have been through 2 panics under this current administration with an election coming up. Sure there is no guarantee a panic will happen but past indicators sure do help. same thing with precious metals at an all time low. Now I am not saying to just do these three areas but there are other ways to save money (hold onto money) than just cash/bank account for the long haul.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Americans were great at savings in the old days.  They bought bonds during WW II to help fuel the war effort.  Feeling secured  by the FDIC, they saved money so as to have something in case of another depression.  They used to buy things by installment. Pay the store, make regular payments and when paid in full, you got to take it home. Then the credit card was introduced along with 5th Ave. marketing.  People began buying by credit; creating an illusion of wealth and prosperity.

As to coming out of the worse recession, we haven't and the talk about "recovery" is bullsh*t.  93 million Americans not working, 50 million Americans dependent on the government. We're still in a depression but that's hidden by EBTs and false statistics produced by the government.

Do not follow the propagandists of the MSM.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, there's always investing.

and there's always the possibility of deflation, at which point the money sitting in a savings account would increase in purchasing power.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have already been told that they are two TOTALLY different things.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, when I hit Reply I didn't notice there were 5 pages of GD financial acumen in the hopper.

Quoted:

Many people fail to annualize a small savings, thinking, "Oh, it's just..........." When my dog was alive I would drive 6 miles home to check my PO Box and to make a sandwich and let him out to do his business. I continued to do this after he died until gas hit 4 bucks the first time when I just took my lunch to work and checked the box on the way home. 12 miles x 5 days x 50 weeks / 20mpg @ $4. A nice chunk of change in a year, and that's just one unnecessary expenditure zapped. Wish we had an Aldis here. I like the quality and selection at Publix but on comparable items I could save a bundle at Aldis.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

... absurd.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

... absurd.

If I'm too old to work, that would mean that I either have lost mental faculties, or am too disabled to even type.  At that point, I really should be dead.

Yep,  I'm one of those who plan on working until the day I die, doing at least something productive.  I'll be 125 turning a large shaft in an outdated lathe, when I keel over and get wound up in the chuck, going thump, thump, thump, . . . .

Either that, or I'll walk way out into the desert never to be seen again while on vacation.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Meh.
If you're in your twenties we'll be living in a post scarcity society by the time you retire anyway.
Third world countries will produce everything we need for a short while until they are able to join us.

Everything will be fine so try not to worry about it.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I am absolutely convinced that at least half of the people who claim that they 'don't have anything to save' are full of shit and just crappy at managing their money. If you're a part timer making minimum wage...ok, you prolly don't have any $ (unless you live in mom/dad's basement)....but most people do. Look at it this way. EVERYONE on this list can afford to save more:

3. anyone drinking anything but water/milk/juice (I'm looking at you Starbucks / Crack Brothers drinkers!)
4. anyone on vacation
7. anyone with internet

I could go on, but most get the point I'm sure. Think about how many 'financial losers' you know who do some/all of these things. They DO have money to save, they simply choose to piss it away instead. I don't feel sorry for them, not one bit. People are free to live how they choose...and it's no skin off my back...but don't tell me that there isn't anything to save while you drive your recent car to star bucks while talking on your GD iPhone.
View Quote

Its real easy on paper. When it comes time to actually deliver, even you wouldn't follow your own advise.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Its real easy on paper. When it comes time to actually deliver, even you wouldn't follow your own advise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

4. anyone on vacation
7. anyone with internet

Of course its easy on paper. But guess who gets blame for not executing, everyone but the individual
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

4. anyone on vacation
7. anyone with internet

even if you are able to cut out half the list you are winning with money. i would keep 2 or 3 things on that list and focus on crushing your debts. you will be better off in the long run.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's money good for? Worth less every day.

So ammo should be dropping in price accordingly?  
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Have you looked around lately?  Everyone is spending money, with or without kids.  I've yet to meet a person who didn't have a couple grand they could shave off their annual budget whether we are talking cell phones, cable TV, various grades of internet, transportation choices.

I'd like to meet the guy working a typical 40 work week at a grown up job, lives in a 3/1 ranch house in an affordable area, drives a base model Ford Focus, and has only the necessities and still can't save a dime.

This forum alone is has plenty of examples.  We've got a wide range of folks from broke to rich all participating in a hobby forum centered around at a minimum $500-$1000 toys that eat $5 to $20 worth of consumables per minute.  

It's almost entirely financial waste for the sake of fun no matter what kind of SHTF, zombie, home invader scenario people pretend that they are preparing for.  Not that there's anything wrong with that but it is exactly what it is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
you'd be surprised that over half of america can not save money... it's not necessarily that they are CHOOSING not to.

Bullshit. I have managed to save money regardless if I was making $5/hr or $50/hr. The trick is not to have a litter of kids, expensive vices, or generally bad spending habits.

Sooner or later those kids will come along.
If you want to be the unmarried hermit who lives like a miser sure you can die millions stashed away
Those expenses you talk about are part of life for just about everyone.
While there are people who blow their money needlessly, there's only so far you can slash and save, especially with kids.

Have you looked around lately?  Everyone is spending money, with or without kids.  I've yet to meet a person who didn't have a couple grand they could shave off their annual budget whether we are talking cell phones, cable TV, various grades of internet, transportation choices.

I'd like to meet the guy working a typical 40 work week at a grown up job, lives in a 3/1 ranch house in an affordable area, drives a base model Ford Focus, and has only the necessities and still can't save a dime.

This forum alone is has plenty of examples.  We've got a wide range of folks from broke to rich all participating in a hobby forum centered around at a minimum $500-$1000 toys that eat $5 to $20 worth of consumables per minute.  

It's almost entirely financial waste for the sake of fun no matter what kind of SHTF, zombie, home invader scenario people pretend that they are preparing for.  Not that there's anything wrong with that but it is exactly what it is.

For gods sake don't bring logic into this, this is GD after all.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yup. It is inevitable...but we have a loooong way to go (like 50+ years probably). America is slowly becoming more like the socialist nations (UK, France, Canada, etc.), who in turn are just on the long and slow slide into communism. And until those nations hit a point of no return and crash then America isn't even close since we are still decades behind them on the socialism/communism scale. And even then the "crash" probably won't be like some anarchist wet dream (e.g. no government, zombie apocalypse, etc.), more like the Great Depression all over again where the poor stay poor, the middle class become poor, and the rich lose a lot of wealth but still live opulent lifestyles like they do now. But that future isn't a fun thing to think about, and doesn't sell SHTF AR15 carbines or 3-day assault packs stocked full or surplus MREs and water filtration kits.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
in all seriousness, whats the point of saving money, when the system is set up for a crash? that money won't be worth the paper its printed on. Better to have ownership of your items and not be held liable to anyone, instead of having a bunch of worthless paper

and i have savings

Folks have been saying the system is going to crash as long as I have been alive. (45 years)

Yup. It is inevitable...but we have a loooong way to go (like 50+ years probably). America is slowly becoming more like the socialist nations (UK, France, Canada, etc.), who in turn are just on the long and slow slide into communism. And until those nations hit a point of no return and crash then America isn't even close since we are still decades behind them on the socialism/communism scale. And even then the "crash" probably won't be like some anarchist wet dream (e.g. no government, zombie apocalypse, etc.), more like the Great Depression all over again where the poor stay poor, the middle class become poor, and the rich lose a lot of wealth but still live opulent lifestyles like they do now. But that future isn't a fun thing to think about, and doesn't sell SHTF AR15 carbines or 3-day assault packs stocked full or surplus MREs and water filtration kits.

America is a rich country, the socialists won't run out of other peoples money to steal and spend for quite some time...
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The Left has been bleating loudly about the evils of "hoarding money" for years now. Expect haircuts at some point. All that evil money in the hands of evil greedy rich people must be liberated.

This whole thing sucks.
View Quote

Komrade! I see that you know how this will work, now just bend over and we will let you keep 20%, we are generous...
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:41:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've been saving, or more like hoarding, for the last couple if years. When the market shows signs of correcting, I'm prepared to become an investor. Wish I was in this position in 08/09. I knew there was a killing to be made, I just didn't have shit at the time to throw in
View Quote

Planning on timing the market just right?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:29:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Page 6 yet. ...Fuck reading page 5 again
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:29:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
average price of a car was $31,252
View Quote

I say that average is skewed upwards by poor savers buying much more car than they can truly afford. When almost everyone who can fog a mirror enough to get financing is buying a brodozer of course the average is going to go up.

and the median price of a home was $188,900
View Quote

That's because even starter homes these days are larger than ever before and come with granite counter tops and other 'necessary' items. It's leftover behavior from the housing bubble. Home builders do this to squeeze more money out of the entry level buyers, and the entry level buyers lick it up because they see all the marketing on TV and feel all the peer pressure from their Facebook friends that they believe that is the only way to buy.

Americans are the most marketed to group in all of human history, and typically they're the least capable of understanding needs versus wants or reading between the lines all while struggling to prove how 'cool' and 'successful' they are to everyone else around them.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:32:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If the majority of Americans were financially frugal this country would be in a permanent recession. Our economy is consumption based. Quit buying things you really don't need and the economy stalls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Service based economy with the accompanying low pay scales means people aren't able to save
You basically need a middle class or higher income to save any substantial amount of money
A few years ago when the economy tanked and people were saving  bit more than usual the gov't was blaming part of the malaise on people saving more and not spending their cash

If the majority of Americans were financially frugal this country would be in a permanent recession. Our economy is consumption based. Quit buying things you really don't need and the economy stalls.

All that does is illustrate how hollow the US economy truly is.

Welcome to the service economy, where we make hardly anything useful and just trade the same bullshit back and forth like some weird game of three card monte.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:52:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Everyone is trying to keep up with the Jone's but for all the wrong things. The real competition shouldn't be how big of a house you could get but how small.
View Quote

GD just had a thread the other day talking shit about Tiny Houses and asking everyone to list the square footage of their homes.

I don't think your message is going to resonate very well here.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:02:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stanley Johnson
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top