Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/24/2015 7:20:41 PM EDT

AUSTIN -- Investigators said looters stole dozens of guns, jewelry
and a coin collection worth hundreds of thousands of dollars from a
Travis County man's home during his trip to Mexico.

Investigators from the Travis County Sheriff's Office said the burglary looks planned and probably took hours to complete.

The homeowner, Joe Lohmeier, is now offering a reward to find his stolen property.

Lohmeier said noticed the burglary on Sunday after returning from Mexico.

"There were leaves everywhere. Leaves and dirt, and you could tell people had been tracking through," Lohmeier said.

He looked around his house, including a room where he keeps his safe, a gun collection and most of his valuables.

View Quote

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/crime/2015/03/23/burglars-steal-45-guns-15-assault-rifles-from-travis-co-home/70358024/

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, that sucks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey everyone on facebook check out this selfie I just took of me on the beach in Mexistan!
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey everyone on facebook check out this selfie I just took of me on the beach in Mexistan!
View Quote

Was that supposed to be funny?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly.  Probably someone he knows.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#5]
"Lohmeier said he doesn't have a security system or cameras, only locks."

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#6]
OP this is why you might consider not keeping all of your firearms in one location and have several different hiding places both in your home and elsewhere.  

This is not from the perspective of being an anti-government wacko.

This is just from the perspective of being cautious.

My one uncle was a career LEO in the local city force.  

I remember him keeping a few firearms at grandpa's house and a few at my mom's house for safekeeping.  

Now he was never robbed but if he had been, they would only have gotten a few of  his firearms and not the majority of them at one location.  

Of course, to do this you need some people that you can totally trust to safeguard your firearms and that live in safe, secure locations.

I am just saying that this worked for my uncle back then in our little city.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:34:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

let me break it down into simpler parts:

He blabbed about the shit in his safe.
He blabbed he was out of town.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He makes a good point.  Live tweeting your picture on vacation is advertising that your house is up for grabs.  The victim might not have done that but plenty of people do.

In the article, it states that about 1,000 rounds of ammo were stolen, as well.  How many people here have 15 ARs and only 1,000 rounds of ammo?  
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He means people put "Please rob me; I'm out of town" posts on social media.

Then are absolutely baffled when their shit gets jacked.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Facebook posts allow people to know where you are and when.  Makes doing a burglary a lot more easier for the bad guy when he knows you are a country away.  I do not do status updates or post where I am at on Facebook due to this.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He makes a good point.  Live tweeting your picture on vacation is advertising that your house is up for grabs.  The victim might not have done that but plenty of people do.  

In the article, it states that about 1,000 rounds of ammo were stolen, as well.  How many people here have 15 ARs and only 1,000 rounds of ammo?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More than you think?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

And how much you want to bet his safe was close to $1200 or even less.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:39:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Universal background checks would have... uhm... no wait...
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Universal background checks would have... uhm... no wait...
View Quote

Well, see, in the perfect liberal utopia, that guy would be charged, probably more so than the folks that stole his stuff.

Because they'll claim "See, if it wasn't for THIS GUN OWNER", these guns would never be on the street.

Remember:   Gun Control Anti-Civil Rights folks do not care about the criminals.  Gun Owners are the enemy.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
More than you think?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

More than you think?
Oh man.  I bet that dude's an arfcommer.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm guessing that anyone who has "hours" of time at their disposal will find a way to get into your safe.

I bought a Big Horn from Costco which was under 1200.00. I expect it to be as much of a deterrent as your 2,000$ safe would be.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#18]
With Holder on his way out the Cartels have to get em somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's no telling how much ammo he has only how much was stolen. I mean Lb for Lb stealing the guns is a better idea than ammo.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#20]
probably was on facebook.... a month before the trip.

going to mexico in a month !   cant wait ! be gone for 2 whole weeks ! woo hoo !

leaving for mexico tomorrow ! ! ! cant wait ! two weeks on a beach ! ! woo hoo !

im in mexico.... whole family is here... we boarded the dogs at a kennel cause no one will be around the house to feed them...  etc

i had a relative who had the white trash neighbors help him load his luggage once... as he was leaving for florida for 2 weeks.... came home to his house robbed.

i never post ANYTHING on facebook about me going anywhere..... until im already back home from where ever i went.   fucking opsec.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Too bad.  So sad.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The article says 1,000 rounds were stolen.  Not that he only had 1,000 rounds.

Maybe he has 50+ .50 cal ammo cans filed with ammo and the asshole(s) figured the guns were enough and didn't think the ammo was worth the extra risk.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup...

thats why i dont tell even the people closest to me when i go away....and i sure as hell dont post pictures while im away...
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm guessing that anyone who has "hours" of time at their disposal will find a way to get into your safe.

I bought a Big Horn from Costco which was under 1200.00. I expect it to be as much of a deterrent as your 2,000$ safe would be.

Just my .02
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my .02

Dude, there is only cosmetic differences in a $1200 vs. $2000 safe.  To get real protection you need to spend about $7000-$10,000 or more.  And even those are only rated to withstand a 30 minute attack with proper demo tools (diamond saw, torch, drill etc.)

So those of you thinking your $1500 liberty safe is going to stop anyone other than a smash and grab thief your kidding yourselves.

Note the guy said his safe was moved?  That means the thing wasn't bolted down so the thiefs were able to attack the back, sides, top or bottom which has significantly less steel on those areas.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

yup...

thats why i dont tell even the people closest to me when i go away....and i sure as hell dont post pictures while im away...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup...

Hell, this is one major reason why I don't do FB, Twitter or any social media bullshit.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Maybe he has 50+ .50 cal ammo cans filed with ammo and the asshole(s) figured the guns were enough and didn't think the ammo was worth the extra risk.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point.  Ammo is heavy.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

It didn't take hours to do that damage to that safe.  Not anywhere close.

To get real protection you need to spend about $7000-$10,000 or more. And even those are only rated to withstand a 30 minute attack with proper demo tools (diamond saw, torch, drill etc.)    
View Quote

You can spend far less than that.  And although the rating is only 30 minutes, it's 30 minutes of worst case scenario.  Many home burglars don't have the tools, knowledge, or experience to give a safe the same run that UL does.  There are many 30 minute safes out there that would last a lifetime against your typical residential burglar.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

probably was on facebook.... a month before the trip.

going to mexico in a month !   cant wait ! be gone for 2 whole weeks ! woo hoo !

leaving for mexico tomorrow ! ! ! cant wait ! two weeks on a beach ! ! woo hoo !

im in mexico.... whole family is here... we boarded the dogs at a kennel cause no one will be around the house to feed them...  etc
i had a relative who had the white trash neighbors help him load his luggage once... as he was leaving for florida for 2 weeks.... came home to his house robbed.
i never post ANYTHING on facebook about me going anywhere..... until im already back home from where ever i went.   fucking opsec.
View Quote
This!

I was going to post links but I don't have to do that.

Google  ' Facebook vacation robbed ' and see how common it is.  Sofa King We Todd Did.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Safe was moved and diamond cut through the back

In for the screen name
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You can spend far less than that.  And although the rating is only 30 minutes, it's 30 minutes of worst case scenario.  Many home burglars don't have the tools, knowledge, or experience to give a safe the same run that UL does.  There are many 30 minute safes out there that would last a lifetime against your typical residential burglar.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

To get real protection you need to spend about $7000-$10,000 or more. And even those are only rated to withstand a 30 minute attack with proper demo tools (diamond saw, torch, drill etc.)    

True but these guys showed up ready to go given the diamond saw.  I also agree that given enough time, any safe can be broken into.............
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#31]
No security system, 200k in valuables,  leaves for another country and probably broadcasted where and when he was leaving.

Stupid is as stupid does.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

No security system, 200k in valuables,  leaves for another country and probably broadcasted where and when he was leaving.

View Quote
Insurance fraud is a possibility too.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Been there years ago, not near as many but it still sucks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:03:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I bet this is his first burglary

he will harden up the place so it won't be so easy the next time

everyone needs to learn from his mistakes

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Damn, even a 400 alarm system with one motion near safe room entrance would have lessened that loss SIGNIFICANTLY.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#37]
He should have invested in a security system where you can check in on your house or text you if your motion detector sees movement on the property.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

And yet people will scream bloody murder if anybody suggests a woman was raped because of what she wore.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:21:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll bet they took all his .22 LR...
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this was my second thought, the first being "inside job" by relatives, shitty neighbors, or the shitty relatives of the neighbors..
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, see the sig line...

I don't have an FB  account and I don't understand how people just can't keep a damn thing to themselves anymore.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#42]
I really don't understand some people.  If you have that much money at stake,

1).  Get a decent safe.  Sturdy, a Fort Knox, etc.  it's a few thousand...so what?

2).  Get a monitored security system.  Not that expensive

3).  Install an HD camera system, with remote backup.  A few hundred dollars

and

4).  Maintain insurance on all of it.  $200k in coverage from someplace like Historic firearms will run you a little over $1000/year.

Do all that and you can blab about where you are and what you've got to your heart's content (you shouldn't).  Your stuff isn't going anywhere at that point and the insurance means you can't get hurt.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#43]

Travis County again? Didn't I just read about a Judge and a DA getting a DUI

Oh it's Austin nevermind
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#44]
It is said that the only clues that remain are a disconnected smoke alarm, a couple of windows left unlocked by the burglars and a layer of dust on doors and drawers left by deputies who dusted and lifted fingerprints.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably just accurate, but it just happened to be funny too.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Dude, there is only cosmetic differences in a $1200 vs. $2000 safe.  To get real protection you need to spend about $7000-$10,000 or more.  And even those are only rated to withstand a 30 minute attack with proper demo tools (diamond saw, torch, drill etc.)

So those of you thinking your $1500 liberty safe is going to stop anyone other than a smash and grab thief your kidding yourselves.

Note the guy said his safe was moved?  That means the thing wasn't bolted down so the thiefs were able to attack the back, sides, top or bottom which has significantly less steel on those areas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my .02

Well umm, "Dude" ,would you put that much value in a $1200 or even a $2000 gun safe??
I more than get safes.

That much value deserves multiple safes with true UL ratings along with real world home security.
But there are way too many yahoo's out there that do use some sort of $1200 Liberty fatso safe for that sort of value because they are cheap as shit well as stupid.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:38:40 PM EDT
[#47]
So is that $200,000 estimate a legitimate price tag of an Armslist price tag?

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Damn. That's terrible. Only thing worse than a thief is a kiddie diddler. His shit is prolly all in Mexico by now.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like the burglars filled their truck, they only had enough room for 1,000 rds.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's a rather funny way to say that people should really stop posting everything that they do online because it's a wealth of fucking information that can be used against you in so many ways.  People "check in" where they are at...well......if you are a hour away from home and one of your "friends" wants your stuff.....they know you aren't there to stop them from taking it.

It's like anti-opsec.  I don't get it.

Post about it AFTER, but before/during?  yeah, don't do that shit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top