Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 296
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Just had my best DD game ever (which isn't saying much since I suck with them usually and prefer cruisers)

Down two ships from the start. Managed to 1v1 3 of their DDs and the Cleveland. Then 2 torp hits in a YOLO at the very end on a Fuso (I had less than 300 hitpoints left after my first 2 kills) with 40 sec to go and my team graciously finished him off.

23k AP damage
2.5k HE damage
42k damage with torps
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:29:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep. I love playing destroyers aggressively. That said, I think they are slightly OP and will likely get nerfed when the game goes gold. Carries and BBs that allow destroyers get within 3KM are all but doomed if there is no one to help them out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?  The play style is glacial for me.   I spend 3-5 minutes waiting for a game to even form a team.

Once killed, getting 'back to port' can take another minute.

It takes 2-3 minutes to even find someone to begin shoot at someone and by then you tend to be hit by 6-8 torpedoes.

I've enjoyed the pre-carrier levels., but once there are multiple carriers, multiple DDs, there is just no way to enjoy the game.  Strategy flies out the window when you are trying to dodge torpedoes that literally dropped 300 meters from your ship, from two sides while a DD send 6 more.  And while the game mechanics are fun, the load times are just killing the fun for me.

TRG

My guess is that queue times will drop as the number of players increases in a production launch.  As far as pace of play, I think people are still feeling their way out, somewhat like what happens on a new map in WOT.  Once people know the good lanes of attack, etc. it seems like the match progresses pretty quickly.  I've noticed in the last week that guys running destroyers are getting a bit more aggressive, much like some of the really good scout tanks in WOT.

I think that pub play will probably always be lacking in basic strategy.  Clearly carriers need some defense since they have very few ship mounted weapons.  If left alone, they are literally sitting ducks against DD's.  I agree that a good DD player can pretty well own a match by getting in close and then spamming torps.

Yep. I love playing destroyers aggressively. That said, I think they are slightly OP and will likely get nerfed when the game goes gold. Carries and BBs that allow destroyers get within 3KM are all but doomed if there is no one to help them out.

The complete lack of AA for a ship makes it a 'little' unrealistic when 12 torpedoes hit the water simultaneously for aircraft.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Nice job!  27 aircraft killed is impressive as well.  We're you running 2 squadron of fighters?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Carrier vs carrier only 2 left (1 AFK carrier) I managed to sneak up on the langley and liberate the fuck out of him with my Independence and rammed him

http://<a href=http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g65/thepaladin101/thepaladin101008/shot-15.03.31_02.58.37-0837_zpsepjwniwa.jpg</a>" />

Nice job!  27 aircraft killed is impressive as well.  We're you running 2 squadron of fighters?

Sorry had to, but carriers are useless without planes.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Just found this thread...I've been in the beta since 3/12

I must be one of the only ones who didn't mind the Pensacola after the Cleveland.  Those 8" guns are devastating.  Anything inside of 10km less than a BB will be dead in two salvos (or less ).

While the armor isn't great, situational awareness (yours and the captain skill), armor angling, and good positioning greatly increase longevity.  Nothing like hunting a Cleveland who thinks a Pensacola is a free kill.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Carrier vs carrier only 2 left (1 AFK carrier) I managed to sneak up on the langley and liberate the fuck out of him with my Independence and rammed him

http://<a href=http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g65/thepaladin101/thepaladin101008/shot-15.03.31_02.58.37-0837_zpsepjwniwa.jpg</a>" />

1 fighter 2 TP
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

1 fighter 2 TP
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1 fighter 2 TP

Even more impressive.   Think my best is 12 kills.  We're you actively attacking enemy bombers or providing cover for allies?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:17:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes I was actively scanning and providing cover to whoever I could but then they sent 4 squads of fighters to contain me Which prompted me to start sailing toward them and using the carrier as mobile AA
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=74882

Came into work to find more codes waiting!

So I will send out the backlog as soon as I can. I have so many that if anyone has friends or family that want to play you can send in requests for those (I reserve the right to deny someone asking for an inordinate amount - if anyone is going to sell these on ebay for $75 each it will be me! LOL - and I am kidding). So please - only ask for what you really need for people who you know will actually play the CBT.

However, after these I am unsure of code status availability.

Thanks all!
View Quote

IM sent for a code request....

Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The complete lack of AA for a ship makes it a 'little' unrealistic when 12 torpedoes hit the water simultaneously for aircraft.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?  The play style is glacial for me.   I spend 3-5 minutes waiting for a game to even form a team.

Once killed, getting 'back to port' can take another minute.

It takes 2-3 minutes to even find someone to begin shoot at someone and by then you tend to be hit by 6-8 torpedoes.

I've enjoyed the pre-carrier levels., but once there are multiple carriers, multiple DDs, there is just no way to enjoy the game.  Strategy flies out the window when you are trying to dodge torpedoes that literally dropped 300 meters from your ship, from two sides while a DD send 6 more.  And while the game mechanics are fun, the load times are just killing the fun for me.

TRG

My guess is that queue times will drop as the number of players increases in a production launch.  As far as pace of play, I think people are still feeling their way out, somewhat like what happens on a new map in WOT.  Once people know the good lanes of attack, etc. it seems like the match progresses pretty quickly.  I've noticed in the last week that guys running destroyers are getting a bit more aggressive, much like some of the really good scout tanks in WOT.

I think that pub play will probably always be lacking in basic strategy.  Clearly carriers need some defense since they have very few ship mounted weapons.  If left alone, they are literally sitting ducks against DD's.  I agree that a good DD player can pretty well own a match by getting in close and then spamming torps.

TRG

I have been screwing around with this and last night we wiped out 2 torpedo groups and a bomber group with only 2 fish in the water that we dodged.

I was on with two friends - one play a BB, one a CV and me with a cruiser (Atlanta). I hung about 2.5 km off the BB and since I was faster I would switch sides as either DDs or carrier aircraft came up on the map and headed our way. The CV player put a fighter group as cap over the BB.

We got hit with the above said planes pretty much at the same time. I hit T which drastically increased my AA output. The first group of torp bombers were splashed between me and the fighters before they even launched. The second torps coming in at a 90 degree angle from the first the BB and I got 4 before they launched on the BB and we dodged them. The dive bombers I do not remember if they got any bombs off but between me, the BB and fighters we killed them all also.

Soooo.... it is possible to fend off the inbound planes if you can have a coordinated strategy. Oh and the BB and I wrecked any destroyer that came by - I used my torps to get the DDs to start jinking throwing off their torp runs while we poured fire into them.

It thus emulates in practice the tactics of WW II combat - if a cruiser matches up with a BB or other cruiser (especially American) you can toss a lot of flack in the air especially using your T key at the right time.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thank you!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I will send out the backlog as soon as I can. I have so many that if anyone has friends or family that want to play you can send in requests for those (I reserve the right to deny someone asking for an inordinate amount - if anyone is going to sell these on ebay for $75 each it will be me! LOL - and I am kidding). So please - only ask for what you really need for people who you know will actually play the CBT.

Thanks all!

Thank you!

Ditto Thanks!

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ditto Thanks!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks all!

Thank you!

Ditto Thanks!

Thanks again Blackhawk.  I also sent IM for code request
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I love the Kuma. It's gotta be my favorite ship at this point. Every fourth or fifth battle looks something like this. And that's without any bonus applied.

From the same battle, that one torpedo knocked out that Kongo battleship.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all you are doing Blackhawk
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for all you are doing Blackhawk
View Quote

Yeah definitely! Thanks again Blackhawk!
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Got my code (Thanks Blackhawk!).  Do we have a clan set up yet?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Got my code (Thanks Blackhawk!).  Do we have a clan set up yet?
View Quote

Most of us have put our in game names up in this thread to add to your contacts list but those posts are scattered throughout the thread.

We should ask Old_Painless to update the first post with a list of player names from this thread.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Welcome all

And I doubt clans will be activated for the CBT - maybe but I doubt it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok, so I saw this thread, and googled the thing because I didnt know what it was. Looks pretty awesome. Im downloading the world of tanks right now because obviously you need the code for the ships version, but it looks awesome. Am I about to have hours of my life sucked away from me?

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ok, so I saw this thread, and googled the thing because I didnt know what it was. Looks pretty awesome. Im downloading the world of tanks right now because obviously you need the code for the ships version, but it looks awesome. Am I about to have hours of my life sucked away from me?

View Quote

Short answer? Yes. Also for WOT prepare to rage. I know I do.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have been screwing around with this and last night we wiped out 2 torpedo groups and a bomber group with only 2 fish in the water that we dodged.

I was on with two friends - one play a BB, one a CV and me with a cruiser (Atlanta). I hung about 2.5 km off the BB and since I was faster I would switch sides as either DDs or carrier aircraft came up on the map and headed our way. The CV player put a fighter group as cap over the BB.

We got hit with the above said planes pretty much at the same time. I hit T which drastically increased my AA output. The first group of torp bombers were splashed between me and the fighters before they even launched. The second torps coming in at a 90 degree angle from the first the BB and I got 4 before they launched on the BB and we dodged them. The dive bombers I do not remember if they got any bombs off but between me, the BB and fighters we killed them all also.

Soooo.... it is possible to fend off the inbound planes if you can have a coordinated strategy. Oh and the BB and I wrecked any destroyer that came by - I used my torps to get the DDs to start jinking throwing off their torp runs while we poured fire into them.

It thus emulates in practice the tactics of WW II combat - if a cruiser matches up with a BB or other cruiser (especially American) you can toss a lot of flack in the air especially using your T key at the right time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Thanks for taking the time to explore the dynamic.

I can see how good communication would be able to make that system work.   Without direct player to player communication (difficult via chat) it is hard, if not impossible, to steer your own ship, locate your team mate's ship, control and match speed and heading.  

I was in a DD in some matches, Cruiser in some others.  I tried to position myself near our carriers on a parallel heading, but, it was almost impossible to steer, fight, turn, adjust to changes in the battle.

Maybe there would be some way to right-click a friendly and select an automatic fleet position?

This would also allow DDs, BBs and others to coordinate movement with one 'captain' leading a fleet formation.  The other members would then be able to concentrate on tasks other than steerage.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are there hacks out for the beta? lol   seems like some guys get on and every single shot hits, while the rest of us are subject to RNG
View Quote

RNG has much less impact on WoWs than WoT I think - for one, the vertical dispersion has little impact, since if the trajectory of the shell passes through the ship, it hits. Because of this, there's really only one dimension (left/right) to randomize.  Attacking ships broad-side means that you have a huge target left/right, further minimizing the impact of the RNG.

No, I think some people are just better at judging speed and distance, and tend to either fire their guns in a salvo (which I generally do), or they walk their fire over a small area to maximize hit chance (which I do using HE against destroyers).
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Welcome all

And I doubt clans will be activated for the CBT - maybe but I doubt it.
View Quote

Thanks for the hookup! Your the man.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I can see how good communication would be able to make that system work.   Without direct player to player communication (difficult via chat) it is hard, if not impossible, to steer your own ship, locate your team mate's ship, control and match speed and heading.  

I was in a DD in some matches, Cruiser in some others.  I tried to position myself near our carriers on a parallel heading, but, it was almost impossible to steer, fight, turn, adjust to changes in the battle.

Maybe there would be some way to right-click a friendly and select an automatic fleet position?

This would also allow DDs, BBs and others to coordinate movement with one 'captain' leading a fleet formation.  The other members would then be able to concentrate on tasks other than steerage.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

TRG

Thanks

Yeah right now its really tough with no clans, no training ground, etc. A lot of tactics are still "feel your way"

I am seeing possibilities like others probably have and I think once people get the "feel" for things tactics will evolve. The next test we want to try is of course a pack of DDs coordinating smoke laying and torp strikes. 3 DDs can keep a smoke screen up pretty much forever. I am starting to see DDs in the beginning as area denial weapons especially for chokepoints - keep these points smoked, hug the islands and even the threat of torps have caused bigger ships to back off or hesitate. Three DDs would also make a pretty decent anti-DD unit plus they are fast enough that they could get to a cap under capture pretty quick.

And I am having second thoughts about carriers way on the edge of the map - the flight times are way to long for reloading. I think a full on clan can pull that carrier in closer with the carrier hugging land to foil direct fire. Done right I think enemy planes and ships will either have to run a gauntlet of screening ships being mauled/sunk in the process or swing very wide thus opening up attack lanes and wasting precious time.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Huge disparity between fighter capabilities of CVs between V and VI. 12 of my fighters double up on 1 flight of his. End result = All 12 of mine gone, only 2 of this 6 destroyed. Talk about a lopsided CV battle. Other CV with me suffered similar results.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thank you for all you have done. I have no complaints about the game with one exception. A destroyer should be obliterated if hit by 2 or 3 shots from a BB's main guns....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi All

Still trying to get more codes but all of a sudden it got quiet and dried up.

I do not know if that means we have hit CBT server max, if the CBT is ending soon or what have you. If I get more codes I will of course pass them out ASAP

So..... I have 9 outstanding requests currently which I feel awful I cannot fulfill. This is tempered with giving out 80 to you all to participate in.

And I thank you all for any complaints, suggestions, things that broke and even the occasional "Yeah- this X is all right". While you all should get a beta questionnaire after the CBT closes I am compiling as much as I can from here to pass on directly to the devs.

Thank you for all you have done. I have no complaints about the game with one exception. A destroyer should be obliterated if hit by 2 or 3 shots from a BB's main guns....

In my experience, a DD *is* obliterated with one good hit from a BB.

I generally switch to HE if I'm in a battleship and taking on a destroyer. I think that's what makes the difference - a magazine detonation on a destroyer is a "game over" kind of thing. AP seems to pass right through without doing a ton of damage.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I love the Kuma. It's gotta be my favorite ship at this point. Every fourth or fifth battle looks something like this. And that's without any bonus applied.
http://i.imgur.com/9J0i3ep.jpg

From the same battle, that one torpedo knocked out that Kongo battleship.
http://i.imgur.com/SE66v6O.jpg
View Quote

I hated the Kuma, until last night. It's like it "clicked" for me - suddenly it's one of my favorite ships.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I was in a DD in some matches, Cruiser in some others. I tried to position myself near our carriers on a parallel heading, but, it was almost impossible to steer, fight, turn, adjust to changes in the battle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I was in a DD in some matches, Cruiser in some others. I tried to position myself near our carriers on a parallel heading, but, it was almost impossible to steer, fight, turn, adjust to changes in the battle.

I agree that it's very difficult to stay in position to properly escort other ships - especially without voice chat to efficiently coordinate maneuvers, but any automatic position goes out the window as soon as fighting starts and ships need dodge shots/torpedoes and maneuver for firing position.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Are there hacks out for the beta? lol   seems like some guys get on and every single shot hits, while the rest of us are subject to RNG

RNG has much less impact on WoWs than WoT I think - for one, the vertical dispersion has little impact, since if the trajectory of the shell passes through the ship, it hits. Because of this, there's really only one dimension (left/right) to randomize.  Attacking ships broad-side means that you have a huge target left/right, further minimizing the impact of the RNG.

No, I think some people are just better at judging speed and distance, and tend to either fire their guns in a salvo (which I generally do), or they walk their fire over a small area to maximize hit chance (which I do using HE against destroyers).

+1

If you're not actively maneuvering, I will start getting critical hits at max range in any ship against any ship.  Inside of 10km, there's no avoiding it (except for some really erratic DD piloting).  Though it's a little random with a BB because of the shot dispersion, I still have a few (and 1 one-shot) kills at 18+ km.

There's a handy guide in the official beta forum for estimating how to lead targets at different ranges.  That + experience and anyone can be pretty proficient.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Huge disparity between fighter capabilities of CVs between V and VI. 12 of my fighters double up on 1 flight of his. End result = All 12 of mine gone, only 2 of this 6 destroyed. Talk about a lopsided CV battle. Other CV with me suffered similar results.
View Quote

The only thing you can really do as an underdog CV is try to either avoid engaging his fighters altogether, or only fight above your AA ships.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I generally switch to HE if I'm in a battleship and taking on a destroyer. I think that's what makes the difference - a magazine detonation on a destroyer is a "game over" kind of thing. AP seems to pass right through without doing a ton of damage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi All

I do not know if that means we have hit CBT server max, if the CBT is ending soon or what have you. If I get more codes I will of course pass them out ASAP

So..... I have 9 outstanding requests currently which I feel awful I cannot fulfill. This is tempered with giving out 80 to you all to participate in.

And I thank you all for any complaints, suggestions, things that broke and even the occasional "Yeah- this X is all right". While you all should get a beta questionnaire after the CBT closes I am compiling as much as I can from here to pass on directly to the devs.

That is absolutely correct and historically accurate. AP rounds meant to penetrate a BB's armored hide would pass right through a destroyer with a failure to detonate due to the round not deforming enough to trigger the explosives in the shell. When hitting DDs and some cruisers you want HE. AP hits from BBs and CCs on DDs I think are accounting for a lot of the "I hit that him but I did like no damage! WTF?" - Try switching to HE and watch that twig snap

On the flip side if you are a DD you want AP versus BBs and most cruisers and HE against other DDs. One advantage HE has however is a much better chance of starting a fire or keeping it going. So if you are knife fight close to a BB I would suggest HE rounds.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

That is absolutely correct and historically accurate. AP rounds meant to penetrate a BB's armored hide would pass right through a destroyer with a failure to detonate due to the round not deforming enough to trigger the explosives in the shell. When hitting DDs and some cruisers you want HE. AP hits from BBs and CCs on DDs I think are accounting for a lot of the "I hit that him but I did like no damage! WTF?" - Try switching to HE and watch that twig snap

On the flip side if you are a DD you want AP versus BBs and most cruisers and HE against other DDs. One advantage HE has however is a much better chance of starting a fire or keeping it going. So if you are knife fight close to a BB I would suggest HE rounds.

View Quote
Incidentally, that's also part of the reason why battleships went to an "all or nothing" armored scheme.  The thought was that rather than putting some armor over the non-vitals, which likely wouldn't stop an AP round anyways, put nothing and hope for a pass through shot.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#32]
If you hit Alt it will tell you shell hang time and elevation.....
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thanks

Yeah right now its really tough with no clans, no training ground, etc. A lot of tactics are still "feel your way"

I am seeing possibilities like others probably have and I think once people get the "feel" for things tactics will evolve. The next test we want to try is of course a pack of DDs coordinating smoke laying and torp strikes. 3 DDs can keep a smoke screen up pretty much forever. I am starting to see DDs in the beginning as area denial weapons especially for chokepoints - keep these points smoked, hug the islands and even the threat of torps have caused bigger ships to back off or hesitate. Three DDs would also make a pretty decent anti-DD unit plus they are fast enough that they could get to a cap under capture pretty quick.

And I am having second thoughts about carriers way on the edge of the map - the flight times are way to long for reloading. I think a full on clan can pull that carrier in closer with the carrier hugging land to foil direct fire. Done right I think enemy planes and ships will either have to run a gauntlet of screening ships being mauled/sunk in the process or swing very wide thus opening up attack lanes and wasting precious time.
View Quote

Good points about tactics.  I think once we all start playing more in platoons and as a clan, we'll be able to really use the ships to their full potential.  That's part of the fun of BETA I guess...we're all learning at a similar pace.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Up to tier 5 in DDs and Cruisers, 4 in BB and CVs.  

Have a long long list of complains but will wait to see if they are fixed during beta.  

Not nearly as fun as WOT to me anyway.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#35]
First games tonight.

Which line to grind? USA or Jap?

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Glad to see that nothing has really changed.

Screwed up matchmaking:  How can 1 team get 6 tier Vs, and we get none?

Awesome win rates: 1 win, 8 losses

Umm, beginning to think no thanks

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

beta....
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

My new fun is getting 1 shotted by a lucky citadel hit.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Have a long long list of complains but will wait to see if they are fixed during beta.  

View Quote

I will happily listen and aggregate complaints.

It is a Beta so I am not sure how much they will fix but this is the nature of Beta's - stress things, see whats broke, what ideas seemed great on paper but went poof in practice, how stable the back end is, and so on

But thank you for playing as all feedback is valuable - good, bad or meh
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote
I suspect you are song situations where there are minimal players on queue and MM just throws a game together.   It seems to come and go like that at various times of day. Once it is live,  I would expect to see many more in queue regularly.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It is a Beta so I am not sure how much they will fix but this is the nature of Beta's - stress things, see whats broke, what ideas seemed great on paper but went poof in practice, how stable the back end is, and so on

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my opinion.  

1.  Game relies too much on luck.  Like a load of torps popping out of the smoke.  No time to turn weather or not your are a good or bad player, doesn't matter, you just got nuked by luck.  Too much 2D like that.  The whole game is 2D.  My destroyer gets 1 shotted by someone lucky that didn't even see me, but got a lucky hit.  This happens too often.  Since you can't use terrain like you can in WOT, 2D maneuverability becomes very important.  You could mitigate luck by having more responsiveness from the player.  The game is, in fact, an arcade game, lets add in some required skill and take out some luck factor. Why not make the destroyers faster and more maneuverable, like the scouts in WOT?  Make the cruisers a bit faster and more maneuverable also.  Or maybe add in a speed boost perk that you can use to speed up for a short time in the smaller ships.  

2.  What is up with the ratio of citadel hits?  This happens way way too much.  Destroyer just 1 shotted by a cruiser.  My battleship taken down 3/4 health by 1 lucky shot to the citadel.  I feel like I'm the Hood vs the Bismark even though in the game i'm fighting equal enemies.  

3.  Improve the way torpedo planes aim, so you can manually lay out how you want the spread and the planes will line up for you.  Maybe it already does this? but I haven't figured that out.  

ETA:  Just now, 3 shotted by a cruiser in my DD.  First shot ruined the engine, next shot caused fire and re-ruined my engine and rudder, 3rd shot dead.  Was way far away, even though I was zigzagging...  Not enough ability to zigzag I don't think, need more responsiveness on the small ships.  I care less about the game being so realistic as to make it not fun.  Either he was hacking (don't think so) or it was luck.  Too much luck once again.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just my opinion.  

1.  Game relies too much on luck.  Like a load of torps popping out of the smoke.  No time to turn weather or not your are a good or bad player, doesn't matter, you just got nuked by luck.  Too much 2D like that.  The whole game is 2D.  My destroyer gets 1 shotted by someone lucky that didn't even see me, but got a lucky hit.  This happens too often.  Since you can't use terrain like you can in WOT, 2D maneuverability becomes very important.  You could mitigate luck by having more responsiveness from the player.  The game is, in fact, an arcade game, lets add in some required skill and take out some luck factor. Why not make the destroyers faster and more maneuverable, like the scouts in WOT?  Make the cruisers a bit faster and more maneuverable also.  Or maybe add in a speed boost perk that you can use to speed up for a short time in the smaller ships.  

2.  What is up with the ratio of citadel hits?  This happens way way too much.  Destroyer just 1 shotted by a cruiser.  My battleship taken down 3/4 health by 1 lucky shot to the citadel.  I feel like I'm the Hood vs the Bismark even though in the game i'm fighting equal enemies.  

3.  Improve the way torpedo planes aim, so you can manually lay out how you want the spread and the planes will line up for you.  Maybe it already does this? but I haven't figured that out.  

ETA:  Just now, 3 shotted by a cruiser in my DD.  First shot ruined the engine, next shot caused fire and re-ruined my engine and rudder, 3rd shot dead.  Was way far away, even though I was zigzagging...  Not enough ability to zigzag I don't think, need more responsiveness on the small ships.  I care less about the game being so realistic as to make it not fun.  Either he was hacking (don't think so) or it was luck.  Too much luck once again.
View Quote

My intention is to be helpful and not mean, so please excuse me if this sounds mean.  What you're describing is largely player skill - and not just the skill of your opponent, but your lack of skill/experience.  

1.  A ship hidden in a smoke cloud can see you, and aim it's torpedoes and guns.  You sailed in to a trap.  If you're not sitting still or sailing slowly in a straight line, it's almost impossible to be hit by an opponent who can't see you.  I highly recommend (in DDs and CL/CAs) getting the tier 3 commander skill "Situation Awareness", this will let you know when an enemy sees you - even if you can't see him!

Click To View Spoiler

1a.  I'm not sure what you mean about terrain...you can break line of sight behind the landmasses, and usually can't be seen by the enemy.  In fact, a great tactic is a DD hiding behind an island and ambushing a passing ship with a torpedo attack.
- One more related tip: in the Port screen, you can see the distance your ship can be detected at with an unobstructed view:

Click To View Spoiler

2.  Sure, once in a while there's a lucky shot that strikes the citadel, but it's usually the good aim of the player putting the shots in the area where they need to be.  There's a great post in the official beta forum describing armor angling and how to position your ship to mitigate the enemy's attack:
http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/19618-armour-angling-visual-guide/
That doesn't mean that any ship is going to survive heavy, concentrated fire, though.  If you're caught out in the open (especially at close range) for any length of time, expect to be sunk.

If you're inside of 10km, scoring citadel hits is generally pretty easy when you know where to aim.

3.  Torpedo planes are great once you figure them out, but they're a bit tricky at first.  I don't play a lot of carrier, so I suggest reading the excellent guides on the official beta forum.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Many years of quail hunting has finally paid off.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a handy guide in the official beta forum for estimating how to lead targets at different ranges.  That + experience and anyone can be pretty proficient.

Many years of quail hunting has finally paid off.

Damn right about that.  I've gotten multi-shot hits 'beyond range' on ships that were traveling in to my range.  Wingmaster 870 FTW.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi All

There is a very good thread on WOWs that explains this.  I started with HE.  Switched to AP and began to get some remarkable hits....with a lot of 'meh' hits as well.

Went back to HE and began raking in the damage once again.

Carriers are supposed to be 'mostly empty' and devoid of hit boxes.  Use HE to do any damage,

Unless you are gunning a battleship, use HE.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#45]
I used AP on a carrier once and got 7k in damage
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:06:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are hit boxes, as I read, but lots of 'air' as well.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Just watched the video of the US Navy tech tree.  I've always wondered what the Montana class would have been like had we actually built them as an upgrade to the Iowa class.   Giggity!!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:33:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Yeah, if you're going for a big crit with AP, the best places to aim seem to be the rear, for the engines, or under the smoke stacks, for the boilers.

I prefer the consistent damage of HE against carriers.  HE may do less damage in a burst, but if a carrier is set on fire, it can't launch or recover aircraft (in addition to the continual health loss from the fire).
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just watched the video of the US Navy tech tree.  I've always wondered what the Montana class would have been like had we actually built them as an upgrade to the Iowa class.   Giggity!!!
View Quote

Bigger, slower, a bit more awkward to maneuver....but also 33% more guns (4 turrets of 3x 16"/50 Mk.7 versus 3 in the Iowas) and more armor.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Bigger, slower, a bit more awkward to maneuver....but also 33% more guns (4 turrets of 3x 16"/50 Mk.7 versus 3 in the Iowas) and more armor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That a russian PT boat will sink in 1 torp hit
Page / 296
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top