Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 296
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Just a heads up I will be streaming WOWs every night at around 10:30est and will be raffling access codes every night thanks to Blackhawk. http://www.twitch.tv/journeyman1029

We will also be having a Q&A with Blackhawk on the stream more than likely on the 27th and I will confirm that as soon as I can!

Come hang out and drink with us!
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:41:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just a heads up I will be streaming WOWs every night at around 10:30est and will be raffling access codes every night thanks to Blackhawk.  http://www.twitch.tv/journeyman1029

We will also be having a Q&A with Blackhawk on the stream more than likely on the 27th and I will confirm that as soon as I can!
View Quote

Oh I am so in!
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

When ships are destroyed, they need to take longer to sink unless they have a mag detonation (at least 2 minutes) to block torps and become nav hazards.

View Quote

agreed. ships sink way too fast.
speaking of destroyed ships... when a ships dies in shallow water, why does it get swallowed up by the sand, in shallow water?

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:04:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

speaking of destroyed ships... when a ships dies in shallow water, why does it get swallowed up by the sand, in shallow water?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When ships are destroyed, they need to take longer to sink unless they have a mag detonation (at least 2 minutes) to block torps and become nav hazards.

LOL...I had that happen to me last night.  I made a mistake and cut it a bit too close to an island.  Ran aground and got my ship hung up mid-ships.  Couldn't rock it off in time to evade the incoming fire and torpedoes.  I eventually was sunk, and my ship slowly faded into the bottom of the seal.  It was shallow enough for me to get stuck, but apparently deep enough for me to sink completely out of sight.  

I do like the oil slick that comes from a sunk ship though...nice touch!
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I find the latter part of what you said to be pretty true. I got hammered and sunk in my Farragut, because an enemy Pensacola was going behind an island. I make a mistake and fired all of my torps a little too wide. He hugged the island and came around with his guns already pointed my direction. I almost would have had time to reload the torps in a Minekaze... What I should have done was launch one set of torps (4) a little wide to get him to hug the island, then throw the other four closer in so he couldn't have avoided them. I might could have gotten him before he would have been able to fire on me... might not... but that could have sunk him, too.

With the USN DDs, you're pretty much right. Torpedoes are like secondaries. Use them in close when you really need to... otherwise if the situation presents itself to get close behind an island or something, you can set up for some good hits. Otherwise, HE from a distance.

And the Mutsuki is crap. There are practically no advantages for it being higher tier. I'm even quite shocked that the latest hull upgrade removes TWO of the guns!  I unmounted that shit. Even though they turn real fuggin slow, I still need 'em. The torpedoes have good range... but the load time... I prefer to stand off and throw all the fish out, then run away to reload. I've gotten a few kills by throwing a spread into an area. The IJN DDs would be nicer if the guns could turn quicker. The slow turn with the slow reload is a real liability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Minekaze is a great DD.  Mutsuki...well...it pretty much sucks.  Farragut is much better at Tier 6, although the torpedo range is a liability.  I think I do more damage with my deck guns as I do with torpedoes on the Farragut.    Just unlocked the Mahan today.

Yep. Get used to it :)

I've been driving the Mahan for a few days now, and torpedoes are almost a secondary armament for me. I spend most of my time spotting, then harassing the enemy with HE from 10km+ away. I've killed multiple cruisers at or above my level like this - if they pay attention to me, I kite them and let my cohorts get a nice broadside or three on them and send them to the bottom. If they ignore me, I pour fire onto their decks until they sink or decide to go with the previously-mentioned option.

In other words, guns are the primary weapon for USN DDs. They were before the HE buff as well, but then I had to constrain myself to enemy DDs, whereas now I can go after cruisers. Torpedoes get used in two situations for me:

* When an enemy DD gets close to me (within 5km or so), I fire a couple of wide spread where I think they'll be, turn, and run. I pop smoke, and if they evade those torps and pursue, I have a third rack ready on my other side ready to go. Usually this breaks the engagement (which is the point), but occasionally I'll manage to kill a DD like this. That's entirely a side effect, but I'll take it.

* When I see a slow mover - particularly a slow turner - going behind an island near me. If I can get to within 3km or so of most battleships or some cruisers, they're dead. This is dangerous, as secondary armament can quickly sink you in a DD, and USN BBs in particular are agile enough that you have to get in very close to guarantee enough hits to sink them. Ditto with the Warspite. Japanese BBs though... juicy targets.  Other juicy targets that may not be so obvious include the Myogi, Phoenix, and Pensacola. For the first, be aware that they have torpedoes, but can only far abeam or behind them. For the latter, it's all about speed - you have to sink them before they have time to track their guns on you. Once they get a bead on you, you're fucked. Get in, launch torps, pop smoke, and run like hell :)

I find the latter part of what you said to be pretty true. I got hammered and sunk in my Farragut, because an enemy Pensacola was going behind an island. I make a mistake and fired all of my torps a little too wide. He hugged the island and came around with his guns already pointed my direction. I almost would have had time to reload the torps in a Minekaze... What I should have done was launch one set of torps (4) a little wide to get him to hug the island, then throw the other four closer in so he couldn't have avoided them. I might could have gotten him before he would have been able to fire on me... might not... but that could have sunk him, too.

With the USN DDs, you're pretty much right. Torpedoes are like secondaries. Use them in close when you really need to... otherwise if the situation presents itself to get close behind an island or something, you can set up for some good hits. Otherwise, HE from a distance.

And the Mutsuki is crap. There are practically no advantages for it being higher tier. I'm even quite shocked that the latest hull upgrade removes TWO of the guns!  I unmounted that shit. Even though they turn real fuggin slow, I still need 'em. The torpedoes have good range... but the load time... I prefer to stand off and throw all the fish out, then run away to reload. I've gotten a few kills by throwing a spread into an area. The IJN DDs would be nicer if the guns could turn quicker. The slow turn with the slow reload is a real liability.

The American DDs are only close range torps until tier 7 (haha, ONLY until tier 7).

They start getting longer range at that point.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:24:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just a heads up I will be streaming WOWs every night at around 10:30est and will be raffling access codes every night thanks to Blackhawk. http://www.twitch.tv/journeyman1029

View Quote

Bump this for the daylight guys.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I haven't won a game today....I don't even check my stats anymore.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Totally sweet

ETA - I'm watching some of your prior broadcasts now
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh shit. I will be there.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I feel your pain bud.  Any tips on how to enjoy the game without winning?  I'm burning out fast...
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Any tips on how to enjoy the game without winning?
View Quote

There is no taste as sweet as victory, and none as bitter as defeat.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I feel your pain bud.  Any tips on how to enjoy the game without winning?  I'm burning out fast...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like toning up helped us both.  Too bad we ran out of time on that last game.  If the team would have moved to cap at the 8 minute mark like we had asked we might have pulled it out.

Death by 1000 cuts in my Cleveland.  Hit a North Carolina 117 times and finally sunk it.

Fuso is proving to be a solid Tier 6 BB.  Jim was running a New Mexico and I had greater range allowing me to stay farther towards the edge of enemy fire.  Just couldn't drag the team to a win...3 enemy ships stayed and defended cap and we couldn't kill them fast enough.  Had the last guy at 50% when time ran out.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish the game allowed us to have "motto's" like that visible to other players.  Your line there would be on every ship in my harbor.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:46:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I managed to set two battleships ablaze and some how sink them with a little help
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:54:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a fun game last night with Journey and usafwolfe  in my Tier III St Louis. I killed from full health a Tier V New York right after I had administered the coup de grace to a Tier IV Wyoming. I did this all while at 1/2 health. It was fun watching the New York miss me repeatedly with his shit dispersion while I poured HE into him and burned his as right down. Sometimes the games can be very fun.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:54:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I had a fun game last night with Journey and usafwolfe  in my Tier III St Louis. I killed from full health a Tier V New York right after I had administered the coup de grace to a Tier IV Wyoming. I did this all while at 1/2 health. It was fun watching the New York miss me repeatedly with his shit dispersion while I poured HE into him and burned his as right down. Sometimes the games can be very fun.
View Quote

I think the key is platoons (or divisions or what have you).  At least you have 2-3 people working together and that usually sways the outcome at least to be more balanced.  And most arfcommers are decent at tactics, so good chance they won't be yoloing up the middle and dying in the first 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:43:38 AM EDT
[#19]
A sinking ship should not sink as fast and RNG the amount of shots it can get off before all hands are lost.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:51:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

LOL...I had that happen to me last night.  I made a mistake and cut it a bit too close to an island.  Ran aground and got my ship hung up mid-ships.  Couldn't rock it off in time to evade the incoming fire and torpedoes.  I eventually was sunk, and my ship slowly faded into the bottom of the seal.  It was shallow enough for me to get stuck, but apparently deep enough for me to sink completely out of sight.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I managed to get stuck in my Cleveland the other night, ended up being the last one alive...seriously annoying for me, big giggles for the enemy team.

Well, except for the CV drivers...I murdered 15 of their airplanes while waiting to die.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:12:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Blackhawk, here's two suggestions:

1.  try to spawn platoon-mates closer together, when possible.

2. I would much prefer equal numbers of ships, but one side be a little lopsided, tier-wise; to the current situation, where we get 2 extra ships on one side.  90% of the time, the side with 2 extra ships wins all of the time.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:32:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The American DDs are only close range torps until tier 7 (haha, ONLY until tier 7).

They start getting longer range at that point.
View Quote

Yeah... American torpedoes sucked until the middle of the war anyway. I'm glad the game doesn't take into account all the duds and failures to detonate that actually happened!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm falling in love with the Fuso again.  Tier 6 with good guns and good reloads.  21km range means you can just about out range anything you are going to be facing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I'm falling in love with the Fuso again.  Tier 6 with good guns and good reloads.  21km range means you can just about out range anything you are going to be facing.
View Quote
Phenomenal BB.  No negatives, when played to its strengths.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys must be having shit luck.  My win rate keeps going up for some reason....  
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You guys must be having shit luck.  My win rate keeps going up for some reason....  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just above 55% overall.  Playing lower levels is kind of a crapshoot.  I'm around 65% when playing tier 8 and up.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm just above 55% overall.  Playing lower levels is kind of a crapshoot.  I'm around 65% when playing tier 8 and up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then don't change what you're doing  
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks to Blackhawk, Journey and I will be doing dueling giveaways for WoWS every night.  So tune in to either or both our channels for the mayhem:

http://www.twitch.tv/engine_95

http://www.twitch.tv/Journeyman1029

E-95
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Thanks to Blackhawk, Journey and I will be doing dueling giveaways for WoWS every night.  So tune in to either or both our channels for the mayhem:

E-95
View Quote

And I just got back from the liquor store!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

E-95

Shit just got realz, YO!  
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:08:11 AM EDT
[#31]
What's going on here?  15500 XP?

edit:  Oh it's an x5 weekend.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:09:26 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

What's going on here?  15500 XP?

http://s13.postimg.org/g7h2fymt3/Mad_XP.jpg
View Quote
Did you read the headline?  For the holiday 5x XP on first match with a ship.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#33]
New game changes recently -

1.  HE ammo works well in all situations now.  No need to switch.  One shotting others has gone way down.  I haven't had a citadel hit in a long time to any of my ships.   I see this as a positive change, but ...

2.  DD have a huge nerf.  Scout planes rule all.  Very hard to hide.  Most of my DDs have the Notification when you are detected, and it stays up pretty much most of the time unless you are in a higher tier IJN DD or the Fletcher or Gearing and just spam torps from way back.  

3.   BBs are much harder to kill now?  Changes to the armor?  Multiple torps hits to a BB just get repaired right back up even though I thought torp and flooding damage doesn't get repairs as much as fire and other damage.   I was in a tier 4 CV during a match, and the whole time I had 3 sets of torpedo planes hitting a New York (Tier 5 BB) - hit after hit after hit after hit... he lasted until the end when some other ships found him.  It was like my torp hits didn't do anything.  

4.  Cruisers and BBs are super manueverable now (at least relatively).  BBs stop really fast or pretty easily stop my BB in order to miss torpedoes, much easier than before.  In my BBs and Cruisers, I can thread Torpedo groups.   In fact, in the BB, i mostly just shrug off the torpedo hits - can't do that in the cruisers though.  

--- Game is developing OK, but the games are mostly stupid.   Either I get lucky and get 5 kills in a DD, or I die right away.  Otherwise, I have to hide in the back b/c the games consist of so many BBs and they can just lumber around taking so many torp hits.

--- No teamwork at all.  It is really hit or miss if the CV on your team even knows what it is doing.  BBs stay hidden as much as they can or lemming follow each other to a side of the map where it is obviously devoid of any enemies.  Or cap gets rushed, and your team doesn't do anything, while you get nuked going to reset cap - b/c you can't go anywhere close without being spotted by scout planes that now have super range and super vision.

Going to uninstall for several months - go back to WOT that at least seems much more ironed out.   Maybe try this again later on.  I'm hoping clans, clan fights and team work will really improve this game when more people are playing.   Also, alot more people after release (hopefully) will lessen the tier difference you see in fights.   Like a Minekaze going against Iowas or Fletchers as can happen now.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#34]
The torp nerf has gone too far.  It effectively nerfs two of the four classes of ships, with dive bombers still sucking.  They definitely need to find a better balance for the torp dependent ships before launch.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The torp nerf has gone too far.  It effectively nerfs two of the four classes of ships, with dive bombers still sucking.  They definitely need to find a better balance for the torp dependent ships before launch.
View Quote

I agree.   Maybe make torps more powerful, or less torpedo belt armor.  Maybe increasing torp range on the lower tier ships, or increasing torp speed some too.  Maybe a compromise of the above.  

Dive bombers are pretty worthless, except for the occasional stopping a cap.

I should say that the last patch was great in some ways.  The ammo changes really has fixed the crit problem.  I haven't been one shotted at all lately.  And citadel hits seem pretty non-existent on small ships which makes the game much more fun.  (Of course, I lose turrets and torp tubes a lot more but this is much more acceptable that having all my health gone in 1 hit)
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Watching Journeys stream. Looks pretty cool, can't wait to play.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Everyone keeps telling me that HE is a no go in BB's and AP is ALWAYS the answer...

I'm sorry but I just don't see it.  At far range and/or when an enemy is angling very well I always seem to put out more hurt with HE...
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I will check this out. Thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Everyone keeps telling me that HE is a no go in BB's and AP is ALWAYS the answer...

I'm sorry but I just don't see it.  At far range and/or when an enemy is angling very well I always seem to put out more hurt with HE...
View Quote

When I tried to switch, most times I would have a better shot if I just waited a little for an opening, or I missed a good shot because my guns were reloading.  I definitely think there are situations in a BB where HE is better, but the big issue is waiting for your weapons to reload.

The situations where I would use HE:
- Only enemy DDs left (or in my immediate area)
- Chasing a ship that is maintaining an angle that is likely to result in below average performance from AP

Long range is no reason to switch.  I regularly land 20k+ hits at 20km on both BBs and cruisers.

The advantage of using HE to start fires is diminished for BBs because of the slow rate of fire and high shot dispersion, despite the higher chance per shot to start a fire (there's a thread with the math on the official forum showing this).
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I agree.   Maybe make torps more powerful, or less torpedo belt armor.  Maybe increasing torp range on the lower tier ships, or increasing torp speed some too.  Maybe a compromise of the above.  

I should say that the last patch was great in some ways.  The ammo changes really has fixed the crit problem.  I haven't been one shotted at all lately.  And citadel hits seem pretty non-existent on small ships which makes the game much more fun.  (Of course, I lose turrets and torp tubes a lot more but this is much more acceptable that having all my health gone in 1 hit)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not having any issues playing DDs/torping the hell out of everything on the map.  This is Tier 5 thru 8, IJN, USN and RUS.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I am not having any issues playing DDs/torping the hell out of everything on the map.  This is Tier 5 thru 8, IJN, USN and RUS.
View Quote

I've noticed an increase in effectiveness of torpedo bulkheads on BBs, but generally speaking, I'm not having any trouble killing things with torpedoes in DDs, CVs, or IJN cruisers.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Once again it fell to me, this time in an Iowa, to defeat the bulk of the enemy team:

Please take note that I used only AP ammo (fires are from secondaries) and all but two shells that hit penetrated (66 of 68), for an average of 2,560.6 damage per hit with 52.71% accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah..whole lotta this.  With the torp spotting reduced to levels that make them almost impossible to dodge I'm routinely getting a lot of hits on BBs and CAs from pretty far out even when I'm spotted.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:38:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Saw a couple "FBHO" and "FU AROCKs" tonight.

Had a few bad defeats, a couple not so great victories... then this in my Farragut:

I'm happy with that. I'll take that. Took out an enemy carrier in his cap with guns since I missed with my torps and reload is fuggin slow.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:37:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Had a few bad defeats, a couple not so great victories... then this in my Farragut:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-gzPxvOhqNho/VWFHPAohrhI/AAAAAAAAWPM/rQzCZ3Ao9S4/w1276-h798-no/Farragut%2Bvictory.jpg

I'm happy with that. I'll take that. Took out an enemy carrier in his cap with guns since I missed with my torps and reload is fuggin slow.
View Quote

Good to see you. I take it that's the game you won and we lost?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:58:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-gzPxvOhqNho/VWFHPAohrhI/AAAAAAAAWPM/rQzCZ3Ao9S4/w1276-h798-no/Farragut%2Bvictory.jpg

No... I didn't do very good in that round. That was one of my less impressive victories tonight.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#47]
If anyone has an extra invite code, I'd appreciate one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Once again it fell to me, this time in an Iowa, to defeat the bulk of the enemy team:

http://i.imgur.com/HzBKo4c.jpg

Please take note that I used only AP ammo (fires are from secondaries) and all but two shells that hit penetrated (66 of 68), for an average of 2,560.6 damage per hit with 52.71% accuracy.
View Quote
Spamming gold noob!

I mean, Holy shit!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote
It seems your best bet at this point is the twitch give-aways eavery night from E-95 and Journeyman1, referenced earlier in this thread.

Also, you can buy a $15 (I think that's right?) pre-order ship and get access plus a little gold to buy extra slots, etc...
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It seems your best bet at this point is the twitch give-aways eavery night from E-95 and Journeyman1, referenced earlier in this thread.  

Also, you can buy a $15 (I think that's right?) pre-order ship and get access plus a little gold to buy extra slots, etc...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey Slick, PM Blackhawk101 and/or Manic_Moran.  They work for WG and can get you codes.  I'd like to save those I have for the stream viewers but if Blackhawk and Manic are out of them I'll give you one from my list.  Just PM me.

E-95
Page / 296
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top