Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/23/2015 12:08:05 AM EDT
Went shooting 22's with my boys on a logging road.  Logging road is gated - state lands - no motorized vehicle.  We walked about a mile down to a spot I have been shooting for almost 30 years.  About the time we were wrapping things up, a county sheriff  truck drives up.  Got busted for shooting there :-(
Warning only.  He was pretty cool about it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:09:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't shoot where I grew up shooting anymore either.

Shit happens.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:11:10 AM EDT
[#2]
He said he could confiscate our guns and charge us with a misdemeanor.  Also said we have to display a "Discover Pass" on our vehicle when accessing our state lanes (Kings land - I get it!)  He informed me that there is a good place to shoot if if had contued our little hike about another 1/4 mile.  I apologized and said we try to observer all the rules and thanked him for his leniency.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:11:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Can't shoot on state lands? I'm not sure on the regulations here, but I think if it's not allowed they post signs. I live a ways away from the nearest state land though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:12:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He said he could confiscate our guns and charge us with a misdemeanor.  Also said we have to display a "Discover Pass" on our vehicle when accessing our state lanes (Kings land - I get it!)  He informed me that there is a good place to shoot if if had contued our little hike about another 1/4 mile.  I apologized and said we try to observer all the rules and thanked him for his leniency.
View Quote

If you could shoot 1/4 mile away why not where you were at?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:13:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I think it didn't hurt that I had my boys with me.  We are clean cut and were being safe.  We also did not bring any to trash to shoot at and mess the place up - we brought clay pigeons.  Probably would have gone down differently if it was three adults with a case of beer shooting empty bottles.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:14:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Shit happens.
View Quote

This......but bullshit happens!
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:14:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Went shooting 22's with my boys on a logging road.  Logging road is gated - state lands - no motorized vehicle.  We walked about a mile down to a spot I have been shooting for almost 30 years.  About the time we were wrapping things up, a county sheriff  truck drives up.  Got busted when shooting  :-(
View Quote

Where were you?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:14:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shrug.  Thought we were cool where we were at.  Been shooting there for decades.  Pretty obvious lots of others do as well.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:14:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Where were you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Went shooting 22's with my boys on a logging road.  Logging road is gated - state lands - no motorized vehicle.  We walked about a mile down to a spot I have been shooting for almost 30 years.  About the time we were wrapping things up, a county sheriff  truck drives up.  Got busted when shooting  :-(

Where were you?

Outside of Granite Falls in Snohomish County
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:15:16 AM EDT
[#10]
In WA, you mist always do your research before doing any non-range, outdoor shooting.   And, how do you not know about the Discover pass?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:16:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I was a little nervous, of course.  Getting caught by the police doing something wrong makes anyone a little nervous, I guess.

Good for the boys to see how to interact with sheriff/police - teach them the right way to do it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:16:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where were you?

That used to be my old stomping grounds.  I had such a great shooting spot.

It's all been cracked down on for various reasons.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:17:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In WA, you mist always do your research before doing any non-range, outdoor shooting.   And, how do you not know about the Discover pass?
View Quote

I know about the discover pass.  Just not ALL about it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:17:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Discover Pass ...pretty creative name for Pay a Tax to Set Foot on Land You Own.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:18:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Busted for what?

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:18:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Officer never asked for my indentification, or took my guns for 'officer safety' or to check serial numbers or anything.  Pretty friendly guy.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:18:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Discover Pass ...pretty creative name for Pay a Tax to Set Foot on Land You Own.
View Quote

Yeah, it sucks... but they're the ones maintaining it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:21:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Busted for what?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Busted for what?

I edited my grammar - thanks

They don't want people to shoot at that spot any more.  Officer suggested we go another 1/4 mile down the road next time.  Said some houses nearby had been hit by gunfire in the past.  I am sure that is possible, but you would have to be a real dumb ass for that to happen - like practically trying.  Houses are not near - but I guess if you are shooting UP or something - well - who knows where that sucker is coming down?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:22:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Let me guess...the detrimental effects of lead on local wildlife?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:22:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

In a 1/4 mi more no one would here it to report it?    Or, in 1/4 mi more you would not be on state land?    

For what would be the misdemeanor?

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:25:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  People absolutely trashing the shooting spots, turning them into little landfills.  The negligent homicides with firearms didn't help either.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:25:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
He said he could confiscate our guns and charge us with a misdemeanor...
View Quote

Oh so he was cool about it in the sense that he didn't actually do those things, but not cool enough to not do those things without making sure you knew he could do those things if he wanted. Got it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:27:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

In a 1/4 mi more no one would here it to report it?    Or, in 1/4 mi more you would not be on state land?    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In a quarter mile more, there is a spot that is in compliance with the laws regarding shooting on state lands.  I have not looked it up yet, but I think because we were shooting on a road (even though a gated no vehicle access road)a quarter mile further there is a fork in the road, if I take the left as the officer suggests, it dead ends in an old gravel pit.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:27:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Shrug.  Thought we were cool where we were at.  Been shooting there for decades.  Pretty obvious lots of others do as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just avoid doing anything on/in/within state lands and never fund any state land fund, including hunting and boating if possible.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:28:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Oh so he was cool about it in the sense that he didn't actually do those things, but not cool enough to not do those things without making sure you knew he could do those things if he wanted. Got it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or, he was warning the OP, you know, giving him a little hint, that a different officer would or could do those things.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:28:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't feel it was threatening.  IF I did it again, the next cop might not be so nice.  Good to know.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:29:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No.  People absolutely trashing the shooting spots, turning them into little landfills.  The negligent homicides with firearms didn't help either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that part I imagine.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:29:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I didn't feel it was threatening.  IF I did it again, the next cop might not be so nice.  Good to know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear ya.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:30:05 AM EDT
[#29]
When I was a teenager in the late 70's-early 80's, there was a huge former strip mine out in the sticks that me, and about anyone within 50 miles, would go and shoot, fish, whatever.  I shot lots of Mausers, SKS's, AR's, whatever, there.  In the 90's some guy bought up the land, fenced it off and began prosecuting anyone who set foot on the land.  I was the police by that time and didn't need to go there anymore but it was a great place to go shooting at one time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:30:37 AM EDT
[#30]
That happened to me as well. We were on our own property shooting multiple AR15's down in the rock quarry.

Sheriff's came saying they had reports of automatic gun fire. Yeah we were throwing lead. They inspected our rifles and left.

Funny thing though is we challenged them to a marksmanship contest everything provided and the shariffs turned us down. It sucked because I wanted to see how well a shariff could shoot.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:33:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I was a little nervous, of course.  Getting caught by the police doing something wrong makes anyone a little nervous, I guess.

Good for the boys to see how to interact with sheriff/police - teach them the right way to do it.
View Quote

If the rifles were inexpensive, I my be tempted to volunteer the forfeiture if the misdemeanor is $1,000 or less just to teach the kids how dangerous the law is.    I would use the opportunity to make a permanent impression  about government and law enforcement.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:37:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, got make sure the kids know who is boss.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:37:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Edited...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:38:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yep, maybe slip the deputy a $20 bill and ask him to beat you down in front of your kids too for good measure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the rifles were inexpensive, I my be tempted to volunteer the forfeiture if the misdemeanor is $1,000 or less just to teach the kids how dangerous the law is.    I would use the opportunity to make a permanent impression  about government and law enforcement.

Yep, maybe slip the deputy a $20 bill and ask him to beat you down in front of your kids too for good measure.

ROFL
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:41:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That happened to me as well. We were on our own property shooting multiple AR15's down in the rock quarry.

Sheriff's came saying they had reports of automatic gun fire. Yeah we were throwing lead. They inspected our rifles and left.

Funny thing though is we challenged them to a marksmanship contest everything provided and the shariffs turned us down. It sucked because I wanted to see how well a shariff could shoot.
View Quote

They probably shot better than you spell.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:44:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a good point.    I try to minimize my contact and interactions with LEOs as no good can come of it.     I'll have to keep this in mind when going to private shoots where there may/will be LEOs.    I'm really not into being someone's female puppy.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:47:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Shit happens.
View Quote

Funny how that happens.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:48:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Naw.   I don't  intentionally set out to break the law.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:49:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What IPhone does I claim no resposability. I've drank enough to not give a shit, tomorrow though is a new day.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:54:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I think it didn't hurt that I had my boys with me.  We are clean cut and were being safe.  We also did not bring any to trash to shoot at and mess the place up - we brought clay pigeons.  Probably would have gone down differently if it was three adults with a case of beer shooting empty bottles.
View Quote

Yea I guess it helps to have short hair
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:54:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Hey - in some states I could have gone to prison!

Looking at you NJ!
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:56:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nothing to do with hair length.  The phrase means something similar to "not looking like a piece of shit"  What it means to look like a piece of shit may vary, but we all know a piece of shit when we see one.  Savvy?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:01:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

In a quarter mile more, there is a spot that is in compliance with the laws regarding shooting on state lands.  I have not looked it up yet, but I think because we were shooting on a road (even though a gated no vehicle access road)a quarter mile further there is a fork in the road, if I take the left as the officer suggests, it dead ends in an old gravel pit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I knew there was a little more to the story.  In the states I have worked in:

You are not permitted to shoot while standing on a road.
You are not permitted to shoot across a road.
You are not permitted to randomly shoot at trees or use trees for a target.
If you left ANY of the clay pigeon pieces laying around that would be littering.

Brush up on the laws a little.

Sounds like you met a cool officer.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:03:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

nothing to do with hair length.  The phrase means something similar to "not looking like a piece of shit"  What it means to look like a piece of shit may vary, but we all know a piece of shit when we see one.  Savvy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are advantages to not being a hobo.

HashtagPrivilege.

#DealWithIt
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:12:16 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm pretty darn sure that discover pass is only for motor vehicles on state land where it is posted that it is required.  If you walk it in, I don't know why that would be needed.

I do know that they randomly shut down spots all over here in WA.  Some of the spots totally follow the guidelines for shooting on BLM land and I think they just get complaints due to people using the same spots to dump and then shooters shooting up the trash.  I really doubt they could actually get you on it.  Really they are just trying to keep you from coming back.  I have no clue why so many of these places get shut down, but do not have posted signs.  Literally the maps that they have showing where you can and can't shoot do not have enough fidelity to know what is a legit site.  So basically you just have to hope that the spot you picked is okay until told otherwise.  Pretty damn annoying and perfect example of chilling effect.

Supposedly there are some RCWs that allow them to shut down shooting areas very easily with no real oversight.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:16:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait a minute, the cop DIDN'T shoot your kids????

Why weren't they putting up more of fight and trying to wrestle his gun away????

Come on, All The Famous & Cool Kids are doing it these day!!!  Trayvon, Big Mike and others too!

Oh, that's right, you actually PARENTED your kids....  

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:28:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are supposed to try and punk the police officer then you are supposed to charge the officer then try and take his gun from him.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:33:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Yea I am pretty sure shooting 'across' a DNR land road or shooting from the road is a big no no on state DNR land.

We used to have WAHTF shoots at a pit just outside Granite Falls about 10yrs ago ... they shut that one down long ago
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:43:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yeah, I knew there was a little more to the story.  In the states I have worked in:

If you left ANY of the clay pigeon pieces laying around that would be littering.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:44:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Did you admit you illegally transferred the guns?  I don't know anyone here that takes someone else shooting or will shoot anyone else's gun after that became illegal.z

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top